Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's possible that those wearing the masks under their chin are pulling them up to their noses when they go into a shop or medical facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Quote political analyst: After all, this is Western Europe, not East Asia!

Pretty sure you posted the same on the other covid thread.

Maybe Western Europe can learn something from East Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

@dalyboy see post #5102

Article and paper.

Significance

This paper examines whether the opening of K–12 schools may lead to the spread of COVID-19. Analyzing how an increase of COVID-19 cases is related to the timing of opening K–12 schools in the United States, we find that counties that opened K–12 schools with in-person learning experienced an increase in the growth rate of cases by 5 percentage points on average, controlling for a variety of policies, past infection rates, and other factors. This association of K–12 school visits with case growth is stronger when mask wearing is not mandated for staff at school. These findings support policies that promote masking and other precautionary measures at schools and giving vaccine priority to education workers.

Abstract

This paper empirically examines how the opening of K–12 schools is associated with the spread of COVID-19 using county-level panel data in the United States. As preliminary evidence, our event-study analysis indicates that cases and deaths in counties with in-person or hybrid opening relative to those with remote opening substantially increased after the school opening date, especially for counties without any mask mandate for staff. Our main analysis uses a dynamic panel data model for case and death growth rates, where we control for dynamically evolving mitigation policies, past infection levels, and additive county-level and state-week “fixed” effects. This analysis shows that an increase in visits to both K–12 schools and colleges is associated with a subsequent increase in case and death growth rates. The estimates indicate that fully opening K–12 schools with in-person learning is associated with a 5 (SE = 2) percentage points increase in the growth rate of cases. We also find that the association of K–12 school visits or in-person school openings with case growth is stronger for counties that do not require staff to wear masks at schools. These findings support policies that promote masking and other precautionary measures at schools and giving vaccine priority to education workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

That was for the benefit of those who read the main Covid thread but are less likely to read the other threads in the Covid forum.

There are distinct cultural differences between western Europe and East Asia. I don't want Europeans to lose their own cultural identities.

• Advertisement

So mask wearing is that? Seriously? Cultural identity lost because mask wearing sounds to me very extreme.

@political analyst In your rush to buff poor mask compliance with excuses you failed to read the OPs post correctly, he cleary gave description of being inside a doctor's surgey and waiting room.

I was in a doctors surgery recently. Ouf of 5 receptionists, only 1 had a mask on, and it was under her chin. In the pokey little waiting room with all the windows closed, three women sat there, two of them had masks under their chins, the other one had it under her nose. It's just so stupid and disrespectful to others.

The mandrian is made up two words, face and membrane = face mask. Pronounced meeeNwa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't been following this thread or thought much about masks recently. I am continuing to wear from my big stash of FFP2 respirators and it is just normal routine now. I tried some surgical masks recently, more comfortable to wear but quite obviously much more air leakage.

If everyone had been wearing FFPs from say, summer 2020 when there were plenty available how many infections, hospitalisations and deaths could have been prevented. Going to go out on a limb here and say the figure would have been more than zero.

Evidence for the increased filtration and sealing of FFPs vs surgical masks

https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr619.pdf

Has there been any official guidance from the Irish authorities or "experts" on the different types.

Also, we need to collect all the statements from the start of the pandemic from the like of Martin Cormican, Kim Roberts and others - masks don't protect the wearer, people won't use them correctly and will just contaminate themselves, masks should only be used in healthcare settings etc. Meanwhile we had patronising nonsense "now wash your hands while chanting happy birthday".

And here we are 18 months later, mask wearing is mandatory and has been for over a year. The average person hasn't got a clue about the difference between a surgical mask and a FFP. Holohan is still on about handwashing but thankfully the happy birthday stuff seems to have been dropped. The health service is again "under pressure". 6 figure salaries are still being paid to those who tried to discourage mask usage.

@BrianD3 Every word Cormican uttered is probably most likely definitely in this thread but sadly the search function has brutalised extracting with ease. I can't recall Roberts being mentioned, but then again I've probably only read 98.425%+ of thread. A quick recon on her seems okayish, a little pro handy but so were they all, she had no problem letting her smallie don a mask in July 2020 and has able to admit that he wore the mask better than she thought he would. Similar conclusion from a French study, kids wear masks better and with less fuss than parents expect.

Roberts called out WTF on the U13s too in the same tweet but if she rubbed you up the wrong way on masks, please insert.

and yes we never got any real mask education from Govt.

Was it this? Roberts is 2nd to be interviewed, half way point.

• Advertisement

Nphet members had ‘some hesitancy’ about changing Covid school rules, documents show

The meeting also discussed whether children aged under 13 should have to wear face-masks while at school. Nphet was “cognisant” the potential benefits of a requirement for children to wear masks must outweigh concerns about potential harms associated with face-mask use, the minutes state.

The limited evidence available suggested the harms of face-mask use in children are minor, the meeting heard. “The evidence for the additional benefits of face mask use in younger age groups is of low certainty and benefits are likely to be small in the context of an existing suite of mitigation measures.”

Where these measures are in place, the evidence suggests transmission of the virus within schools and childcare facilities is “limited” including with the delta variant, members agreed.

However, parents should be supported if they choose for their child to wear a mask in primary schools or other public settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Roberts isn't too bad but I distinctly remember her being on Prime Time near the start repeating the masks not recommended mantra of the time. Cormican was on about the same time saying the same thing. Roberts is not a physician so maybe it wasn't part of her remit (or she thought it wasn't) to go off piste on masks. I can't remember exactly what Luke O'Neill said about masks but I think he flip flopped on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I remember Robert's anti mask stance at the start of the pandemic too. Even when luke o neill and others changed their minds, she was still shilling anti mask rhetoric on tv any chance she got. Good to see she finally came round, but her credibility as a trusted academic is completely shot in my eyes.

Martin Cormican is a bafoon. I wonder what other **** up he is behind?. It wouldn't be a surprise if he played a part in stopping the contract tracing in schools.

@ginoginelli Martin Cormican is a bafoon. I wonder what other **** up he is behind?. It wouldn't be a surprise if he played a part in stopping the contract tracing in schools.

Played a part? That was Cormican all by his lonesome. See Hugh O'Connell's article in INDO, link below.

Prof Cormican’s paper, released under Freedom of Information request.

It also notes that in addition to the impact on schoolchildren, the negative impacts of the current testing regime include delays in access to healthcare, undermining years of work encouraging self-care of viral respiratory tract infections, the uncomfortableness and inconveniences for many people of testing, the cost to the health service, and the environmental impacts of mass testing.

Does one need to ask what Cormican meant by undermining years of work encouraging self care of viral respiratory tract infections? = hand washing?? Was he **** his pants that unmasked U13s with hand gel were going to undo his years of work encouraging hand washing if they kept on getting tested?

Latest statistics from the Economic Social and Research Institute (ESRI) show the number of locations that people are visiting on average has almost doubled since January, while the number of people who said they always wear masks, socially distance and hand-wash has fallen from more than 60 per cent to 40 per cent. One in five said they “rarely or ever” wore a mask or socially distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Fuckin hell your right. Wat a country we live in that this idiot is still in such an important position after all these **** ups. No doubt he will be there until he decides to retire too, with a fat state pension at that.

The man is a menace. Literally doesnt have a clue.

In not very impressed with nepht taking advice from this bafoon either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whatever your personal stance on masks, handwashing, distancing etc, it's pretty clear now that Cormican was woefully out of step with developments throughout this pandemic. A month after respected medical journals were reporting asymptomatic spread, data any idiot with a search engine could find, he was publicly poo pooing this risk and misrepresenting symptoms, while obsessing about handwashing like an OCD sufferer(even though it was becoming clear a few months in the surface transmission wasn't the primary risk). How he's still in a position of power is truly beyond me*.

*Over the years I've known a fair number of people in mid to high positions in many industries who got there simply because after they got their training/qualification and/or were on the ball once, then turned up to work consistently, didn't make waves and were politically astute in office politics. This included a couple of academics. That's the only explanation I can some up with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

@ginoginelli Good to see she finally came round, but her credibility as a trusted academic is completely shot in my eyes.

Credit where it's due, she stuck her neck out this morning, calling for from 2+ or 3+.

Don't see ANYONE else doing that.

Glad Razer gave Naomi Wu a mask to review, she certainly brought the hammer.

AGS updated fines for AUG SEP OCT.

3 fines for the whole month of August, 6 for September and 3 for October.

The system is not working.

• Advertisement

"Basically they all want you just to be running the country."

That's some throwdown to Cormican from the ICGP lead for IPC O'Connor Mar 2020.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gortanna threadban lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

More like guards don't work and probably everyone turning a blind eye to people going around with their face masks not on properly.

Charity worker outside the shop the other day asking people to donate and all I could see was his nose sticking out. Of course, I was asked to stop and chat and try and get a donation but all I could tell them, you're not getting anything of me with your nose hanging out.

Like how is it the norm here to have so much people with their noses hanging out or the face masks on the chin? And nobody says a thing. I think I'll be slapped one day by telling someone to wear their mask properly.

The masks are absolutely useless. Nothing more than a nice visual.

You should be ashamed of yourselves if you want to stick these things on kids when not a single child has died of or with Covid in the country.

Wear 7 masks if you want to but leave the kiddies alone…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Anyone know why BorrisJ wasnt wearing his mask when in the company of 95year old National treasure David Attenbourgh???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

agreed, can we not get prison time for these people..... smh

You've(see post #5102) been presented with real world studies to counter your "masks are absolutley useless" and "nothing more than a nice visual" statements and you dissapeared from the conversation, are you back to continue it or have switched over now to this new line of bashing posters in thread with "ashamed of yourselves" speeches?

We are fortunate in Ireland that not one child has died from this preventable disease and hopefully it will remain that way. Hoping alone will not reduce the risk and the risk is very real as sadly the hundred dead children in the UK highlights.

The "not one single child has died" arguement holds not water when it comes to masking/not masking. If it did then we would have to higher our minimum masking age to the lowest death so far, which would be 25?

Absolutely useless post. Nothing more than a nice visual, for some.

• Advertisement

I left this conversation after getting bored waiting on answers. Nobody was able to answer why cases haven’t jumped through the roof in the UK since removing the mask mandate. Not one answer.

Also, I have no answers for why countries that had outdoor mask mandates didn’t eradicate Covid. In some cases had even higher numbers.

Anyways, I’ll leave you to your bizarre agendas. Next you’ll be campaigning for newborns to be masked 10 mins after birth. Just to be sure.

Advertisement