Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14" Trinitron on adverts for 50 Euro in Blanchardstown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The other TV they have looks tempting

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That model of trini has really nice flat sides for tate mode if you ever felt so inclined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It seems like a Seinfeld sketch...

"Is this what we've come to?

A dedicated thread for a TV that, only a couple of years ago would have been free in the bargains thread.

Now, thanks to your common or garden new retro collector they are subject to a rush last seen in Alaska and California in the 1800s!"

Master of the Universe

Binge watching through Seinfeld at the moment, haven't watched it since the 90s - lot of it is very dated now but it's still absolutely hilarious. George is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

O1s1n went full hipster years ago, he's prob watching it on an old portable black and white TV with rabbit ears in the back of it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Me too!

First time I've watched it, George is fantastic, you can see the genesis of Michael Scott and David Brent right there, a foolish selfish self-sabotage merchant.

Loving it...

Moops...

Doesn't need a remote...

He has a man from the village for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

On top of that, he's using RF connection for the consoles...

Too far? 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Can I just say that Dune looks absolutely stunning on a 65" LG OLED, in 4K with the room lights off, sitting 1.3m from it, and with proper external speakers and subs driven by a couple of amps.

14" CRT triniton is for very strange people.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

We're specifically using them for old consoles, not new film releases...that would be a tad mental :D

Master of the Universe

...you had to go and make it personal didn't you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

No, the 2021. My son has a computer science degree and ocassionaly rents servers in foreign locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's 9 degrees Celsius at the moment too. That might change as we head into the evening though.

You aren't lost are you?

This is the Arcade and Retro forum...

Is there someone with you, do you need us to call someone for you?

I just saw a topic on the latest posts page and replied to it without checking the forum, so yes, I was sort of lost - my apologies.

Master of the Universe

Now that you're here, you're not allowed to leave without at least a portable CRT and a Super Nintendo. Club rules :D

Sorry, I have a Valve Steam Deck on order and am headed in the opposite direction. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I also preferred the quality of watching Dune at home compared to when I saw it in the cinema, to be honest.

• Advertisement

They all say that,

Before you know it you'll be ordering RGB cables for consoles you have never heard of, and understand why Golden Axe is a terrible, terrible game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you take that back!

I thought I was being subtly queried as to how I could be watching in 4K, when it wasn't available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry off topic but I see Seinfeld mentioned so I had to chime in...I watched it early last year for the first time and found it hilarious. It reminds me of Friends in the sense that it's "a show about nothing" but more mature. Hopefully being on Netflix gets people watching. I know Jerry can be a bit whiny but it's still hilarious and an easy watch.

I was browsing Netflix last night and ended up watching the one where Jerry's apartment was robbed now I want to jump into it again...

The biggest problem with the Netflix release is that they've buggered the formatting.

They've cropped the image into 16:9 which means you miss the top and bottom of the frame.

It's like a reverse pan and scan!

It also zooms you into the image making the already SD picture even grainer.

If you tried, somehow, to watch it on the 14" Trinitron it would be tiny!

Master of the Universe

Ahhh I was wondering why you could see so much grain in the image, didn't dawn on me they'd cropped it to 16:9.

Shame they didn't leave it 4:3, could have watched it on a CRT via am xbox 360 in 4:3 mode and had it full screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Posted by retro tech USA on Twitter. Best setup for Dune.

Obviously they couldn't entice Sting back for the new movie as his character isn't in it!

edit: no wait, his character will be in the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just out of interest that CRT has a flat screen right? Kind of early 2000s "last TVs with a back" generation. I remember a friend of mine had one like that for his PS2 at the time but if I was going to go to the bother of getting an old tv for retro gaming I'd want a nice curvy at the edges early 90's 21". Complete with random lines and colour saturation. Accept no substitutes!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

There are actually three main types really.

Those curvy 'bubble' type CRTs which are the lightest.

Sony Trinitrons like this one which have a curve, but only in one direction (curves across the the horizontal) - makes them look a lot flatter and they're a bit heavier as a result. Sony have actually been making these for decades, they've always just been pricey so you were more likely to see one of the more domed, bubble type CRTs in houses.

Then you've the last gen which you mostly see in 32 inch 16:9 in Ireland that have a very flat screen - they're absolute monsters and weight a ton.

Advertisement