Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Definitely but seems anyone willing to take delivery in Q4 will get a best of both worlds option - extended range and the faster 0-100 time. As with everything Tesla though, pinch of salt until we actually get our hands on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

You could buy a cheap car (sub 7k was my target) to keep the show on the road for a few months. Sold my own car last week and driving one myself while I wait for a new M3 Feb delivery.

The trade seen to be offering strong money for Tesla’s which takes the pain out of selling. Picking up a cheap car that won’t let you down and you won’t lose your shirt on is more of a challenge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah…. For the same price there’s an additional 82km of (WLTP) range from the car I bought vs the car someone is going to get in Q4….

add to that the refresh features like powered trunk open/close, built in wireless charger, chrome delete etc…… and I’d have a new one in a heartbeat……

it’s giving me serious thoughts about selling mine privately and ordering a new one with the increased range…… I have a 2nd car in the house so could survive without the Model 3 for a few weeks if needed…… and given how used car prices are currently going, I probably wouldn’t lose a whole lot on my 20 month old SR+……..

serious food for thought…..

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

looking at changing my ioniq 28 next year, Looking (or dreaming, not sure!) at the Ioniq 5 and the tesla model 3, very hard to decide.

Have already driven the Ioniq 5,very nice car on the road,and good acceleration - bit floaty on the corners but not bad though.

Just took the tesla model 3 for a test drive as well on monday, I have to say the model 3 feels great on the road -well planted, just point and accelerate. Very easy car to drive and with the new range upgrade to the basic model, range is not a problem.

BUT... when i got into the model 3 i felt the car felt a little cheap compared to the ioniq 5, the interior of the Ioniq seemed light years ahead of the tesla, things like the sound of the door closing, door handles, touch points and overall feel of the cabin, the ambient lighting set up, light bar on the front and rear of the outside is a nice design touch as well. Rear space on the ioniq feels more like sitting in a lounge... very spacious

But....... the features like sentry, netflix, 'autopilot', and general software is quite nice on the tesla......plus it's a tesla... !

has anybody here test driven both? or any opinion, my head is wrecked !! :)

I don't believe teh WLTP ranges on any cars these days as it is hard to figure out what real changes are being made under the skin.

It could be a case they learnt how to drive the pre-defined route better than when first submitted for testing.

PSA have pushed up WLTP range on their cars with no obvious changes to hardware.

Some Tesla changes are for the better, some for the worse.

Youtube range test videos tell you what you need to know.

Disclaimer: Tesla do appear to be the best with regard to eeking out best real-world range from any particular car/motor/battery combination so I'm not singling them out for criticism.

• Advertisement

I dunno!! the WLTP in my Model 3 SR+ is 409km, and I've easily reached it on a fairly regular drive I'd do down to my mothers house and back.

Its a 50km round trip from Rush down to Artane Castle shopping centre and back, so its rural, motorway & urban all in one (at least 12-14 km of it at 120km/h), so probably not a million miles away from the WLTP test..... The only time I won't hit the WLTP rating is when the temperature is below about 12 degrees and the wind/rain is up...., but usually for most of the year, I can hit the WLTP on that particular trip, and can exceed it with a light foot (a few times I've done the trip and achieved 10kWh/100km, which is putting me in 500km range territory!!

Since owning the car, my average consumption over 20 months & 43,000km is 14.6KwH/100km, giving me an average range of 342km. (there's a lot of motorway miles in there)

summer motorway at 120km/h is about 290-300km, winter is about 230-240km, then local Dublin driving (including plenty of M1/M50) is around the 350-400km mark, depending on weather and where I'm going. So by and large, I'm fairly happy with the range of the car vs what is advertised.

Having said that I'd still love the 491km WLTP Model 3, as I'd see that as giving an additional 50-60km of range on average compared to my SR+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

So this happened. They are deep scratches, not just paint the body would be damaged.

Anyone had anything similar happen/repaired?

Guessing its not gonna be cheap...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Not as bad as you'd think!

Get a couple of quotes and get it done ASAP...i've a scratch on my current car at the moment and the scratch is after making me stop taking as good care of the vehicle than i normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Had something similar on my last car, except on two panels. Got it done by an excellent fella, cost €250. Get it done and forget about it..🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Mine came brand new with that sort of damage, I think its a feature, speed lines maybe. Simple enough repair 300 euro ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

Same. not sure how any of you will notice the 0.5s diff in 0-100 time in an instant-torque ev - in a car that’s already as fast as a hot hatch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Since owning the car, my average consumption over 20 months & 43,000km is 14.6KwH/100km, giving me an average range of 342km.

You've approx. 45kWh usable on your SR+ so your average 100% to 0% range is 300km.

Regular charging to 100% in the earlier SR+ models isn't recommended & no one ever plans on driving to 0%. I reckon 90% to 10% is a more usable range. At 15kWh/100km, with 36kWhs (90% to 10%), you've a usual, 240km range car.

At 18-20kWh/100km, winter, motorway etc., you ain't getting even half of the WLTP 🤨.

Sure, you can hypermile it to 500kms during the summer (I did over 300kms in a 28kWh Ioniq!), but these WLTP figures are farcical.

has anybody here test driven both? or any opinion, my head is wrecked !! :)

I've driven both. They are very, very different cars! I wouldn't have thought anyone after a mid size SUV (CUV?) would also be considering a medium sized saloon. They are so, so different.

OK, the Tesla has a boot. It's not a hatchback. That's a big difference right there & a major drawback with the Model 3.

It's also significantly more expensive than the entry level Ioniq 5 - close on €13/14k?

I'd rule out Netflix & other gimmicks to be honest. I usually don't spend long enough sitting in the car to bother with Netflix & I'd say most Tesla owners just show it off to friends but rarely use it too. 15/20 minutes charging - would you really need Netflix?

Make a pros/cons list & think of what you really need in a car. A Tesla badge is worthless if you can't carry home a table from IKEA or some plants from the garden centre 😀.

Best of luck with your decision anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

The use case for the entertainment is kids. When you are road-tripping around the place and grabbing a charge, it's sometimes not worth the hassle of hauling them and all their stuff out of the car for 15 minutes, to load it all in again. You can lash on Netflix or Youtube and keep em happy for 20 minutes.

I play the games, got an XBox controller. Stardew Valley, Cuphead....Fallout Shelter are all classics -> I didn't buy the car to play the games....i swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Yeah the kids all love the youtube & netflix, i was only charging in Mahon point the other day, 30 mins charge & watched some netflix, space wise a model 3 is grand I've put my mountain bike in back once you fold down the seats, we've 3 kids, 10,12 & 13 and no issues with space in the back, you cant really compare a base model ioniq 5 ( with approx 330km range) with a Model 3 ( base) now with 490kims range, heated front & rear seats, brilliant infotainment unit for 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

haha amazing. I'm mad jealous on the gaming front there.

My son & I have been addicted to Sky Force: Reloaded for the last few weeks..... We leave for school a few minutes early so we can play it for 15-20 minutes before going in....

Junior also goes to a Saturday school, and when we go to pick him up, we're usually waiting outside for 30-60 minutes with a coffee, and Netflix comes into its own...... The key is short 20-30 minute episodes (Schitt's Creek, SuperStore etc...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm more simple, 2048 for me!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

It was the premium 58kWh/ 72kWh i was thinking of, both of which come in at under the model 3 price - the range boost that the model 3 got in the last few days is pretty good though, the ioniq is similar with about 481km on the 72kw battery

It's just that the cars are so different, the m3 still feels like it was designed in the same era as my ioniq 28 but being a lot more sporty and a more engaging drive with more smart tech (which i love!) with regular ota updates, and the ioniq 5 just seems like a really chilled out high quality interior that quality wise is miles ahead of the tesla,plush materials,faster charging, ambient lighting on the doors as shown on the pic i took below, feels like a first class lounge !

We actually went through about 6 months of 2048 before moving on to SkyForce....

2048 is brilliant, though I was rubbish at it.. my son was much better, highest score in or around 7,000 (go on, make fools of us... what's your top score?)

• Advertisement

The Ioniq5 might have the faster charging, but the Tesla will have a smaller battery, so will fill up just as quick.

For me charging speed is irrelevant!! on Superchargers I've never really had to 'wait'. By the time we'd had toilet breaks/snacks etc and were ready to leave again, the car would always be up around the 90% mark and we'd just leave...bit of waiting the odd time at eCars chargers, but that's not the cars fault, and an Ionig5 will pull the same 44/50kW I'd be taking.. but with more SuC's coming, that problem goes away.

That extra range in the Model 3 is brilliant!! WLTP went from 409km - 424km - 448km - 491km.. and the price didn't change.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got it to 500km WLTP through an update as that'd be a great number to achieve... Tesla's lowest range car being 500km..

By any chance is anyone located in Limerick on this thread and would you have any recommendations for a charge point installer?. I was planning to buy the Tesla charge point and get that installed but not picky! whichever works - would just like a quality electrician. Would appreciate any help/advice!

That extra range in the Model 3 is brilliant!! WLTP went from 409km - 424km - 448km - 491km.. and the price didn't change.

The price has changed - it's €50k now for the cheapest SR (now slower), €54k for a non white with white interior & 19" wheels, or over €68k for a red SR with those options with FSD!

I wouldn't be surprised if they got it to 500km WLTP through an update as that'd be a great number to achieve... Tesla's lowest range car being 500km..

Sure stick a 600km tag on it, what does it matter!! It's only a notional & totally fictitious number anyway, but if it helps drive sales & makes owners feel better, have at it 😀.

A Model 3 Performance now costs as much as €84k+ & has had a range reduction - just 547km now!!

Have Tesla put the cheaper, but inferior & lower capacity LG battery in it?

Most other markets have had the newer Panasonic 82kWh battery in the LR for months now or were given €2,000 discounts to take the LG battery car. We got no such choice here or in the UK. We get the inferior LG pack for the same price.

What's going on with Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I'm also looking to get one installed in limerick, do you know if the tesla charger will work on a 530e?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It will. It’s just a standard type 2 charger.

there’s dip switches inside that restricts it to Tesla only or all cars.

It looks as though tesla are removing the partial premium interior. Received my VIN this morning and have been told by Tesla customer service that my Standard Model 3 (due for delivery in December) will have the larger battery and old performance motor and thus provide additional range and the 5.6secs 0-100km/h time. They've also mentioned my car will come with both the heated rear seats and heated wheel as standard. Upgraded audio system is currently TBD - They haven't heard from head office yet but the customer service rep mentioned she wouldn't be surprised at this stage.

All new orders from 02/11 will get the new larger battery and 6.1secs 0-100km/h time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

i was told yesterday that the Tesla rep that my car ( no vin assigned yet) ordered in September would be an SR+ ( not a refresh car) without the heated seats or longer range, but the faster acceleration , its a bit confusing

Advertisement