Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Anyone ever have an issue with a ram refusing to mate full black sheep. Have 8 zwartble cross ewes in a bunch of 40. Ram working well otherwise but running the full black ewes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

How ong are the rams out, maybe the ewes aren't in heat, some breeds don't breed as early as others, did they breed last year in october

Black ewe clearly in heat today and he raddled two other ewes and ran her away numerous times. She had her head under his belly and was wagging her tail.out since last thursday. About 22 out of 40 tipped with no issues. No raddle on the 8 blacks and I've seen him chase away a black ewe hogget two days ago aswell. Will have to swap the 8 ewes I think. Annoying as able to change raddle without flocking the ewes.bred 3 weeks earlier last year with different ram.

Never heard of that, it might be like the late night Coppers when young lads say ''It's two o'clock you'll do'' Your ram might have a different attitude when the rest stop coming on heat around him

Haha that's what I was thinking. Decided to take them away this morning and swap a few more back instead. I cant afford lambing to be dragged out waiting for him to make up his mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Question in relation to tams. Anyone any idea how long it takes to get approval on submitting a claim. Submitted claim here 3 weeks ago and still no word back, ag food is saying ready for lo checking. Is it normal to take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Tileman

Took me about 6 weeks in total . Hit an inspection so that delayed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Would it be a bad idea to leave a ram on his own in a field for 2 weeks, only have ewes and ewe lambs that i don't want him with yet, so nothing to leave with him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Could you put him in the next field beside the ewes? Obviously it needs to be well fenced. He'd be fine once he can see other sheep through the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

When can ewe lambs be counted as ewes. Thinking of selling a few old/oldish ewes and keeping ewe lambs in there place. I want to run these replacements with the ram.

If I don't sell the ewes I'll have to many lambing.

If I do sell the ewes I won't have numbers if I have an inspection

• Advertisement

So I've to keep dry ewes till January. Not ideal for someone who runs the ram with ewe lambs.

Thanks for reply

Yeah it caught me rightly a few years ago when the SWS was being introduced.

Even allowing ewe lambs to be counted as ewes on 1st january is even a concession, they're supposed to not qualify until they're a year old

Where would a fella get gates for a race, I'd like to make a mobile one on the cheap so just using pin hurdles as the sides. Seems to be a lot of full race packages out there but I'm not interested in spending that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Is it just a guillotine gate you need?. Theres a lad on donedeal selling them. Hes from daingean close to me here.

I have 4 no 6ft hurdles and 3 U frames to make up my race.

Use a bit of mesh steel at the front for a gate. Just 2 drop pins to hold it in.

I use a 4 ft hurdle for the gate at the back

Handy to set up and transport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Interesting - where you get the U frames Joe?

Or are they a standard enough component that most of the crowds selling hurdles would have em?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Try buffalo steel. They advertise on DoneDeal.

Re guillotine gates I made up in about an hour. Can't remember if it's here or at the outfarm. Will post a pic when I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Stockmaster agri sell all the individual components of a race online, such as guillotine Gates and u frames

• Advertisement

Sell them in the local co op here. Didn't bother pricing round. Just bought 3. I think 45euro each but can't remember.

I don't use it much to be honest as there is nearly always 2 of us together.

Still very handy though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Thanks all 👍️

Sad to see the death of Siobhan Mc Stay, Robin Darkers daughter,

Robin is well known in Pedigree sheep breeding circles, Indeed Siobhan and her husband Glen did some pedigree sheep breeding themselves.

She fought a tough battle with cancer from a young age , may she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

That's tough on them, Id know Robin and David and ya couldn't meet two nicer people. Great sheep people.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Gibney Steel will sell any part of a race seperate if you need them , Dromone co.Meath

Going kitting out my new sheep shed at moment. Prices are really gone to ****.

o Dwyer steel feed barriers have a gate hanging separate to entrance date. Most other barriers have gate built into the barrier. I think u get more sheep feeding in the standard one.

any other suggestions for suppliers and also how many sheep would feed out of a standard 15.9 ft bay

10 big ewes, they need .5 mtr when heavily pregnant I'm just fitting out a shed here, I got a neighbour to make the barriers, they're just so so.

What are you being asked to pay for barriers with gates, I was charged 400 for 14 ft 6, but there's no VAT to claim back. I just wanted to support a new business

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - only last week was talking to the guy who put in a new cattle crush for me the year before last and he was saying that the same job would cost nearly double now!!

• Advertisement

Prices ranged from 360-385 plus vat for 15.9ft with access gate . Varied on steel quality. All galvanised. about 40 less if it was just the feed barriers with no access gate.

o Donovan were about 250 for their 10 ft swing gate but access gate is separate and is another 150 plus you need a tea posts. Main thing I dont like with o Donovan feed barriers is there is allot of space wasted with extra post and closing mechanism. I don’t think I’d get 10 sheep in a 15.9bay.

l

Advertisement