Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't believe that the reduction will be from dairy. The dept have stated that 18-21% can be achieved through efficiencies. That leaves a 10% cut to be achieved.

A roughly 40% reduction of the suckler herd can achieve this at a guess. The cattle needed by the processors can be obtained from the dairy herd so no cut in economic output there. This protects the economic output from the dairy herd too.

I am not saying that the above is right, but it is what I believe will ultimately happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm normally not one for conspiracy theories but for utter **** sake you couldn't make it up as another poster said. I think I find myself agreeing with you.

What an utter sham and complete pack of cnuts.

If there is a genuine desire to support the family farm you support extensive finishing by raising the slaughter age so farmer can carry less and let it fatten fully or as close as possible off grass.......

If you are in bed with processors and/or you want to promote further intensive feeding or simply make it unviable then have at it.....there was **** all if any real justification for the 30 month limit in any case.

It's truly disgusting what goes on in this country ..... if only farmers weren't such a fragmented group.....should be causing havoc over even a sniff of this....unless the aim is to drive people out of their farms it goes against any environmental reasoning to my mind.

Come to think of it their meddling has probably caused the most damage when it comes to the environment over the past 30 years and now they want to really compound the **** up....

If we had any sense as a group we would hand back the 30 pieces silver and make them live up to what they preach.

Id say there will be a reduction in general as your typical farmer in Ireland is pushing retirement age.

There will be a bigger reduction on the beef side though

There will still be a place for efficient beef farmers but they will need to very efficient with inputs and finish cattle on time

Sure it won't be possible to finish them to a timetable without leaving them as bulls and/or pumping them with feed (which will probably be imported) ....and as the margins will be so tight larger numbers will have to be carried by less farmers ...and they will have to construct larger yards/intensive feedlots etc....

I have experience of trying to finish some of the extreme dairy stuff....the runts do finish I suppose but they simply aren't economically viable....cant see the factory or consumers paying a fair price.....but no problem importing it from a slash and burn rainforest feedlot.

How could that sit with a supporting the family farm sustainable environmental rhetoric?

Origin green my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If there's money to be made investors will invest.

For example I have a private pension, my main concern is that it is making money for my retirement.

I don't really care what the actual make up of the funds it's invested in once it's maximising the return.

The final pension pot is going to have a bigger impact on me than whether it's in a "green" fund or not. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people are similar. A lot of those that aren't are probably young, virtuous and have no real responsibilitys yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Personally I think the 22% agriculture reduced is quite achievable, in a mix of efficiencies and technology (likes of seaweed additives in the diet to hugely reduce methane, organic now that I look at it is something that certainly could suit my farm very well here, fertilizer will need to be slashed next year anyways, and by the look of it a dry farm with a long grazing season can grow not far off the same amount of tonsDM/yr with MMS etc.) I guess the big question is will the dairy herd keep expanding? There is certainly more scope for it to expand away here in the Leinster area more, but will all these environmental regulations put a stop to that?

Moving onto other areas of the Irish climate plan. 1million EVs by 2030. Absolutely not a hope in hell, I'm sorry, whatever about the fleet, what about all the infrastructure?

Next up, data centres, eirgrid came out with a report a month back saying they'll account for 28% of all electricity use in 2030 (somehow averaged down to 25% this week?), That's huge growth across the next decade, and how much of that will end up being powered by natural gas?

Next up, transport. Reduce emissions by 50%. Huge increases in public transport. That is absolutely laughable given Ireland's track record on pubic transport, just look at the luas, Irish rail, and the biggest offender, the bloody metro.

Next up, half a million retrofits of Irish houses by 2030. And we are in the middle of a housing and building crisis, and will be for the next 5yrs at least.

So I'm sorry to be very cynical, but bar many major major technical advancements, Ireland doesn't have a hope of actually hitting any of these targets bar possibly the agricultural one!

I’m with you on that in so far as we need to grow our own feed here and stop imports from the other side of the world.

The only way that methane levels will lower is less cows on more land and also finishing cattle sooner.

Easily fleshed cattle in both dairy and beef herds and a shift to more extensive dairy can achieve this

It makes sense to reduce output in both beef and dairy anyway as it will keep prices up.

And yet there seems to be momentum to incentivize the exact opposite.

"Just" transition.....if this is it part of me wants to see the world burn.

The spike in coal use is just that a spike and will not last long outside of China & India.

So its published, the Climate Action Plan.

Press release here

You can read the full plan here

From an agri perspective, something to note, it makes no mention of herd reductions....zero, zilch, nadda.

The actions for the agri sector are as follows

To be perfectly honest, the agri sector is getting off lightly, very, VERY lightly.

Additional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

Dont understand push to finish cattle earlier, wont it just free up more ground for extra cows? ( suckler farm )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Organic to go from 77000 hectares to 350000 by 2030, very unlikely

My preferred option is to scrap non performing beef or dairy cows.

27 months as an average isn’t great. If that’s the average sure a lot of heifers would go under 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I can see a clampdown coming on data centres getting planning permission here.

In Japan the government won't promote electric cars as they'd be taking electricity from homes and businesses. The Japanese car manufacturers have been slow as a result to develop electric cars. And now the Chinese have stole a march on developing models.

Here generation wise the government thinks we can cover the countryside in wind turbines and solar and continue to build data centres. There'll be a point when people will say it's enough. Peter Sweetman the serial objectionist is already at it re data centres.

On ad plants we can see already the push from so called enviros welcoming them. So although the misgivings from eamon Ryan about them I'd say money will win out and they'll go ahead. I'm on the fence on them. If Ireland's track record is anything to go by. The golden handshakes and school clubs will have a chosen few being allowed. I'd be afraid myself of allowing digestate on farm as to its origins and makeup.

This has been well reared in Ireland these past few years. First Pippa brought in. Dept inspectors then putting feels out could emissions be dropped. Phil Hogan getting shot down. Barry Cowen getting same. Next ag minister same. Finally had one then that was amenable. Some times we live in. In this country.

Kill cattle here close to 30 months ( 40% U grade rest R+ R= ) I could kill bulls at 16 months and heifers at 24 months ( done it before - lot of meal etc), but what do i graze the ground freed up by this? Can only think more cows ( not tillage country) I know the experts say this is more efficient but how is it better for environment. ( or workload for me?? )

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What ever Ireland and the rest of the PC Brigade countries reduce, the likes of China, India, Russia, and USA will increase ten fold. So it's a pointless task, whatever will be, will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

How about a hundred like it was for decades 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Bulls being finished well under twenty months ?

With ration at € 350 per tonne ?

They are good grading cattle

Its a fudge from the government that will achieve nothing.

Its a good idea to bring the average slaughter age down but it’s not going to happen with freisian bullocks going over 30 months

The real solution is to make dairy more extensive. If you ask a typical dairy farmer what the right amount of cows are the typical answer is more.

This plan is doomed to fail. The government offered nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

There has been no justification for the thirty month age limit for years yet none of the farm organisations have ever fired a shot in anger over it . You would have to ask why ?

• Advertisement

Well if the government wants cattle away sooner then that must be the intention

It looks to me that the government have promised 30% and then offered a plan that depends on making that through maintaining numbers and depending on efficiency

It won’t work

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

The thinking behind the reduction in age for slaughter is that it is a sly way of reducing cattle numbers. You'll find that you won't be able to carry any extra cattle to cover the units that leave the farm a few months early.

It is still unclear what is the outcome of the suckler herd, I see the number 316. This could mean a reduction

This plan is doomed to fail. The government offered nothing in it.

What do you mean? Incentives/subsidies etc?

If so, those things come in the implementation, this is just outlining the objectives, how to achieve those and what it will cost and how long it will take, etc will follow in item specific plans and strategies.

This is just a high level outline of everything for all sectors

In terms of real methane reduction it’s not going to do it

Probably right, any new suckler cow scheme will likely have downward only numbers from some reference period. Went down extensive low cost route here, will probably get caught between two stools so to speak

Ah, yes, I agree. Like I said, the agri sector is getting off easy in this. %

I don't expect that to last though. Post 2030 or even in the run up to it, the agri sector is going to come under more and more and more pressure. Right now its high emissions are ripe for slashing but the govt decided to only take a bit off. This means that whereas agri now account for 93% of methane and nitrous oxide emissions, come 2030 thats going to be closure to the ammonia emissions figure of 99% and there won't be so much meat left on the bone in other sectors so expect much larger reductions being pushed post 2030 especially if the actual reductions achieved are on the low end of the 22-30% range. If they are on the high end then maybe the sector will get off lightly again

Time will tell I guess

Cutting suckler cow numbers per acre when a dairy cow emits twice as much is like running the hose in to hedge when your house is on fire

It’s not about getting off easy

The 22% target has to be met

This plan is not detailed enough

This plan is not detailed enough

Its not meant to be, this is a high level plan only

• Advertisement

Mount Everest high

That summit was a waste of time. A day out for the boys and girls.

Offering to cut methane at 30% for a country that can produce beef and dairy with a largely grass based system

The plan depends heavily on efficiencies that need a high level of commitment and support

Advertisement