Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Indeed they are however I think a wet lease would be possible in these exceptional circumstances. Lets assume its not possible the cost/benefit of an aircraft doing nothing for the summer over the option to route passengers via DUB/LHR just doesn't stack up. This is IAG we are talking about. DUB didn't have an idle aircraft for the summer when EI had a full fleet in operation over the past few years. Hard to see bean counters changing that policy!

Might get an idea of the fleet for 2022 on Friday with IAG results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I'm sure there are ways to cover exceptional disruption but my point is that swapping over and back without regulatory facilitation is unlikely. To the Ryanair UK point, this carrier operates UK to non-EU points (Morocco in particular) and to my knowledge Ryanair has no intra-UK routes since Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Has there been any update on the wet lease for Vueling at Paris Orly? I can’t see any EI / A330 on the flights I have searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Operates as follows from ORY commencing 08/11:

MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN

ARN NUE ARN NUE XRY ARN BGY

DUB BGY DUB BGY DUB DUB DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Correct hence why the spare is over there. Same goes for crew on UK licences. Cannot sub in IAA pilots/ccms if anyone goes sick - has to be from the locally based pool. Its a stand alone base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I see Aer Lingus are recruiting cabin crew, obviously anticipating a strong return for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Can’t see anything online at the moment?

edit : found an add on nobox recruitment

Post edited by Shamrockj on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A dickie bird has told me that as AL has retired a number of planes and dont have the budget to purchase more at present, Alicante isn't on the AL radar at present because its not a feeder for T/A routes. Its likely Vueling will take up the route at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Advertisement

One would have thought the point of being part of IAG is access to attain/lease assets where there’s a strong business case/potential revenue….

They don’t actually have to purchase an aircraft though they can simply lease one and pay it when it’s being used. Strange.. I can’t believe they would just hand over a route like Alicante that is popular. Obviously they have decided what number of AC they have next summer and there isn’t enough to cover every route from before ?

Maybe the gap until emerald is up and running is killing them. How many aircraft do they have doing routes the EIR used to cover?

Quite a few I would say.. I think maybe 2 A320s in Belfast. In Dublin the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Bristol are taking up 3 departure on the first wave that previously would have been operated by Stobart.

The new EIR operations should be starting up in the new year sometime, no specific date other than “the new year” but should certainly be operational by summer 22 to cover the likes of EDI/GLA/BRS ex Dublin

Yeah that makes sense, also would the need to be recruiting if they’ll not even have a full complement of aircraft for the season !?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There are the 3 A321 CEO's, 2 appear to be stored, 1 either scrapped or on the way to scrap, all 3 are owned outright. Only 2 A320's left the fleet

So -5 aircraft, but could get 2 back if required, but a fairly heavy check likely required as the plan was pull the A321 CEO's by now

There are now 8 NEO A321's and these will operate first wave flights to LHR/CDG/FCO and possibly others so that provides cover for what was lost, obviously 1 is going to MAN. A330's can trip to Faro, Malaga etc

You got to be able

1. The crew the aircraft, so pilots and cabin
    2. Maintain, the IAA needs to be shown there are enough engineers and technicians to maintain the fleet
    3. Make money, a full flight doesn't mean profit especially if you are in a scrap with FR
    4. Handle the transition to Emerald

Maybe EI is working on getting a A330 down to Alicante?

I had almost forgotten about the 321ceos, seems so long since they were around!

Those are all valid points. But in fairness points 1- 3 are just the basics of running an airline and have been managed now for decades literally so they should surely be on top of that…

Does anyone recall a few years back when they’d lease in an A320 for the summer !? Crew it themselves but it would only be a temp summer lease? Can’t see what that couldn’t be done if they’re stuck for capacity. Alicante survived throughout the pandemic so must be a pretty strong route for them. I’m hopeful Santorini and Rhodes will make an appearance again too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI had problems in 2018/19 keeping up with growth on the A330 fleet, having enough staff to support the fleet. It was routine to arrive on stand and wait 5-10 minutes for someone to show up to move the jet bridge or move steps

The problem is getting enough people trained up after having run a skeleton service, there is only so many sims available, only so many trainers etc. You also have to factor a higher absentee rate due COVID isolation and illness so you need more folks on call to come in.

The big factor is uncertainty, we hope we are over the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Was there or is there a plan for outsourcing all the ground ops? Was that not discussed before?

The reason why I mention it, much like the cabin crew thread is that its all sectors that are having problems finding staff and airlines, or rather handling agents only pay €10.50 an hour and that just doesn't cut it for workers anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

10.50 an hour and living in dublin... lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The IAG results today suggest outsourcing is still under review.

As usual the presentation is desperately short on detail when it comes to Aer Lingus, if it’s not about their transatlantic network, IAG don’t seem to care. There’s nothing we don’t already know in there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

“Aer Lingus will fly to 15 destinations in North America next summer, compared with 16 in summer 2019.”

This is part of the Indo article today. Would the 1 less destination be BDL?

Aer Lingus makes ‘ambitious’ plans for transatlantic traffic next summer

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-makes-ambitious-plans-for-transatlantic-traffic-next-summer-41022976.html

MSP and MIA also not operating. But I guess the routes from MAN cancel them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Lazy journalism on behalf of the Indo – the average Irish reader will only care about what's going from Ireland.

(It's worth pointing out that the 15 figure is wrong anyway – BDL/MIA/MSP is a loss of three, BGI is a gain of one – so they're actually only serving 14 destinations in North America unless I'm missing something.)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Definitely lazy journalism. Im guessing they mean 15 routes instead of 15 destinations ? For example JFK is one destination but has 3 routes to DUB, MAN and SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anyone have an idea when they'll start adding routes onto S22, and have them available for booking? Looking at going to Alicante in July, and even though the times are good with Ryanair, I'd rather go with EI!

Probably a few week, it was mentioned I think that when the Emerald set up is announced this should free up more of the feet to finalize the summer schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

I do sometimes wonder what EI are up to these days. They put a 321lr on to Manchester yesterday morning (first visit to Manchester?) for the Derby demand but had no flight back in the evening. Meanwhile Ryanair put on 3 flights back in the evening and all were presumably full of City/United fans.

• Advertisement

When I see comments like this my gut reaction is that the airline knows what it’s doing more than someone on the internet. But when you look at that example, it seems strange, you can’t fly people over for a match and not fly them back, unless you want to let your competitor fly them back.

Flew AerLingus last week from Madrid. Must have been an issue with the booking of the on board bags. I would have booked it but couldn’t. Got to the terminal and queue of about 150 people checking them in. Got on board and no bags in the overhead bins really - maybe 5/10.

Advertisement