Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Really surprised that Ireland is currently at 40 % renewable energy generation. (Primetime prog just on)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Makes you wonder how we can run 1 million electric cars and data centres

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

for anyone wondering this is an example of smugness and smart ass put downs rather than proper debate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Feel free to debate me on anything I've posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Even now, have you not copped on to the fact that beef processors are a private business and won't be bullied. yet you're still coming out with this.

You really couldn't make it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Ohhh you again 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

Debate he said 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The consumer doesn’t know nor care what age the animal is . The producer gets screwed if the animal is a few hours over 30 months.

But the processors are a private business and therefore can do whatever they like . It helps to have a so called Union that is so sympathetic to their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A very misleading snapshot given that it was in low single % figures most of this year - between that and the failure to maintain conventional power plants, has led to multiple amber warnings for potential black outs issued by Eirgrid this year

• Advertisement

Just curious what do you mean by conventional plants are you talking about plants outside the peat burning stations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

Can you enlighten me on how you think this high level plan is going to help the environment by reducing slaughter age to a lower average age

Seems to me it's the opposite of a good plan for the environment never mind what it will do to small farms.

No clue to be honest. To me a reduction in the herd size would seem like the better option so I'll defer to others who may understand the impact the difference in ages make

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Depends when you look. This years numbers will be interesting.

No one is sympathetic, just fed up listening to lazy farmers that never did anything for other farmers, factories didn't want over thirty mth. IFA have opposed it all along, I said on here that those fools Beef Plan would get nothing from factories and that's the way it turned out, they went home whingeing and haven't been heard of since. whinge whinge whinge that's all they could do, so sad

You don't have to sell over thirty month cattle, I've sold a lot of beef cattle in my life and none of them over 30mth, there's more wrong than the factories if you can't finish them under thirty mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Ireland's target for cuts to methane is 10%, the 30% figure is an EU target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

hmmm.......depends on the calf you buy....a lot of whats coming on stream the past few years you can finish under 30 months if you are prepared to pump with meal or leave as a bull....

its uneconomical and is the opposite of what should be happening in the current "climate" ....if you will excuse the pun

yet they are doubling down on it.......looks to me like either a) misguided or b) cynical

its definitely nothing got to do with increasing value of the product so lowering numbers could be viable......its yet another in a long line of swizzes/wheezes (as they used to say on wall street) to screw the ordinary producer

if the environment was the priority steps would be taken to make it viable to reduce herd numbers ...instead they are going the other way

1 million evs and they can’t manage housing, schools, children’s hospital, rents, vulture fund landlords with empty units

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

While I don’t agree with all of your first paragraph I certainly do agree with your second paragraph and I’ve been saying it on here a while too. The obsession lads have with the 30 months is ridiculous really. If you want to earn a living out of cattle keeping them until they’re pensioners is not the way to do it.

There should be no issue finishing the majority of cattle long before that. Off the top of my head in the last 5 years I think I only have 2 animals that went over 30 months. One was a heifer that was bought and turned out to be in calf, had to have a section which didn’t turn out well and knocked her back a long way. The second is on farm now and just didn’t thrive as well as others for whatever reason and will probably be 32 - 33 months when she’s killed. That’s well below 1% of my cattle going over 30 months and I’ve everything from O- white heads to U+ continentals.

I will have 10 bullocks that were badly done my an older relative of mine to be killed in the next few weeks as well and most of them will be over 30 months but 2 years of 7 month winters with nothing only hay in a round feeder was the cause of that.

I don’t pump cattle with meal either, majority of white heads are killed at around 22 months old, so normally around Dec/Jan. They’re still out on grass now and haven’t had an ounce of meal since the middle of February. Grass and silage need to be done right, there’s too many lads cutting first cut after the middle of June and then wondering why their cattle don’t thrive. Or leaving them on the one field the whole summer and again wondering why they don’t thrive.

A small bit of meal (1-1.5kgs a day) for 3 months of their winter as a weanling, good silage, out to grass as early as possible and moved to fresh grass at least once a week and a whitehead or Angus should never see anything over 24 months of age and a continental 24-26 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The million EVs thing is not going to happen by 2030. It would mean that nearly every single car bought between now and then is an EV.

New Private Cars

• 2010 - 84907
    • 2011 - 86932
    • 2012 - 76256
    • 2013 - 71348
    • 2014 - 92361
    • 2015 - 121110
    • 2016 - 141931
    • 2017 - 127045
    • 2018 - 121157
    • 2019 - 113305
    • 2020 - 84309 (COVID impacted here)

In total that's 1,120,661 in 11 years. They expect to repeat that in 8 with more expensive vehicles. And no charging infrastructure, pulling of incentives, etc. Pie in the sky stuff.

In parallel, we have pushes to have more electricity heating your homes via Air2Water, etc. We have Data Centres gobbling up power (expected to be using ~25% of total power on the island).

And the cherry on top is shutting down power stations, regulatory issues with offshore windfarms, Brexit and the potential to have power/gas restricted to the island that crosses from the UK and the grid firing amber warnings galore about power supply.

it'd save a lot of emissions too. They claim that there is dairy calves that won't finish under thirty mths...... if they weren't bought it might stop dairy farmers breeding them. To finish them at circa two year old you have to be in control of them all their life so movements wouldn't be a problem either.

Poor grassland management and poor silage quality stagnates cattle thrive and wastes time which causes more emisssions per beast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If it reduces the tonnage of beef for the cartel it’s good news(lighter carcasses). Anything can be fattened under 24months with copious use of concentrate rations but environmentally and economically this is a joke!!! I finished a mix of friesians to u grade continentals out of the shed in this spring. All good weight for age last November

Averaged almost 1 tonne of meal each despite 72dmd silage. Killed from 22 to 27 months of age.

stored another lighter for age lot on no meal and went to grass. No chemical fert spread on their pasture. Killed some with no meal in late July, started rest on 4 kg after and most gone in September. A few left and will be be gone in 2 weeks. Average age will be over 30 months overall this group but carcass weights 15kg heavier.

the first group are methane friendly...

The environmental footprint should be related to fossil fuel usage. (The Russians have done more sort this than any policy makers as the ifj cartoon last week pointed out)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Visit the 'should ireland go nuclear thread', it's a gas. I wonder if the lights going off will wake anyone up. Certainly the Norwegians have woken up to what a dysfunctional basket case this country is and have pulled out of offshore wind farm development.

Any chance of that nonsense wish list for emission reductions achieving even 50% of it's targets is near zero. It took about 27 years from recognising the need for a national childrens hospital to starting to build one. It took 23 months for the civil service to process a foreign birth registration application.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Instead of EV's, the push should be towards zero emission vehicles. Subtle but important distinction between the two. Zero emission encapsulates syn fuels, bio fuels, hydrogen and whatever else folk can think of. Policy makers should not be telling the engineers and scientists how to meet the end goal.

Porche as pushing syn fuel research and JCB are pushing hydrogren. Both currently have issues with the amount of energy required to produce the fuel, but can run in ICE type engines which are more easily recycled and have a distribution network already in situ.

(sorry for the Daily Fail link!)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

Decrease meal use on farms

While reducing the age of slaughter to 24 months

🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

I was surprised the dept of ag has finally acknowledged that nitrogen is a major pollutant in Ireland that needs to be reduced. Expect to see a bigger push for clovers and MSS into land in the future. I'm glad there won't be a compulsory herd cull but some will no doubt downsize herd sizes due to people going organic and not being able to rely on heavy nitrogen applications every year. I guess thats what the government are banking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve a batch of continentals in the shed for fattening at the minute. Their average age is 23 months old, they’ll be killed this side of Christmas so before 25 months. I’m expecting they’ll average U- and somewhere around 370 - 380kg carcass. In 16 months in my herd up to when they’ll be killed in December they’ll have eaten 420kgs of meal and 400kgs of beet. The rest grass and silage.

I wouldn’t consider that copious meal usage, maybe others will think different.

• Advertisement

Always used barley and soya here so couldn't feed high levels, they'd be getting 5kg/day for 120 days and the heifers would be for 60days

Advertisement