Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mammychicken

Out Of Death is totsal crap awful waste of time try Inside I’m dancing for true original gifted entertainment hilarious poignant movie totally under rated

Watched this last night, pretty decent film. To be honest I didn't think he had it that rough growing up going by this. Sure, his old man was not a saint, but I wouldn't say watching this was difficult at all or particularly rough. The kid says some horrible things and he slapped him a few times which was deserved. If this was the sum total of domestic violence in Shia's life, he did pretty well I would say considering his father was a rodeo clown. The old man had his demons but I think the film tried to show he was not that bad a guy, struggled with his own issues, but ultimately did his best for his kid that he could under the circumstances.

Lebouf's biggest issue is that he has let his ego run away. He knows this well himself, this is the crux of the film and it starts showing itself when the kid is 12 years old, and got worse and worse, and the first scene in the movie in the cop car demonstrates that. Its a very honest look inward for sure, he does not seem like a well person at all, and if the older him is a realistic portrayal of him in reality which I'd expect it is, he seems a very unlikeable guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Harder They Fall - Starring Jonathan Majors, Idris Elba, Zazie Beetz, Regina King, Delroy Lindo and LaKeith Stanfield, the film follow outlaw Nat Love (Jonathan Majors) who discovers that his enemy Rufus Buck (Idris Elba) is being released from prison and rounds up his gang to track Rufus down and seek revenge. Those riding with him in this assured, righteously new school Western include his former love Stagecoach Mary (Zazie Beetz), his right and left hand men — hot-tempered Bill Pickett (Edi Gathegi) and fast drawing Jim Beckwourth (R.J. Cyler)—and a surprising adversary-turned-ally. Rufus Buck has his own fearsome crew, including “Treacherous” Trudy Smith (Regina King) and Cherokee Bill (LaKeith Stanfield), and they are not a group that knows hoSilenced (2011) 2hr 4m [18] (Korean) Amid a multitude of cover-ups, a caring teacher attempts to publicly expose faculty members who are molesting some hearing-impaired studentsw to lose.

Lords of Scam (French) - This documentary traces the rise and crash of scammers who conned the EU carbon quota system and pocketed millions before turning on one another

Silenced (Korean) - Amid a multitude of cover-ups, a caring teacher attempts to publicly expose faculty members who are molesting some hearing-impaired students

Miss Granny (Korean) - After learning she's to be sent to a rest home, an elderly widow goes for a walk and wanders into a photo studio, where she emerges as a 20-year-old

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Really looking forward to The Harder They Fall, good westerns are hard to come by these days and the trailer looked very promising. And what a cast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dedicated thread on Harder They Fall here, if anyone has any thoughts after watching :) https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058213914/the-harder-they-fall-2021-netflix-western-with-regina-king-idris-elba-lakeith-stanfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Harder they fall is not there yet….

I watched Honey Boy as well last night. I read he had a relationship with his co-star FKA Twigs who had to get a restraining order against him so he has a few issues that he needs to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1 on this recommendation, watched it at the weekend and while the violence is OTT it somehow adds to the comedy, genuinely funny movie and hilarious in parts.

Whatever you do watch it in the original Norwegian, saw the trailer afterwards which was dubbed and the voices were very phony sounding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Finished Godless, slightly oddly paced but a good watch all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I really liked it anyway watched it when it first came out, would regard Scott Franks work as pretty nifty now decent catalog as screenwriter and with this and Queens Gambit looking forward to see what he does next, could have easily banked another season for either and reckon he's putting his best foot forward by not.

Catching Killers (2021) Season 1 - The investigators behind infamous serial killer cases reveal the harrowing, chilling details of their extraordinary efforts in this true crime series

Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) - When Spencer goes missing, Martha, Bethany and Fridge realize they must go back into Jumanji to find him -- but something goes wrong.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I watched Hypnotic last night. It's fairly terrible, really cheaply made with a very tame plot that's more akin to a Lifetime Movie. Better off avoiding this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Is there a thread for movie recommendations on the other streaming services or just general movie recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

The Next Three Days with Russell Crowe & Elizabeth Banks is such a good film. Highly recommend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There is an Amazon Prime thread and a Mubi thread. There's also a general streaming rec's thread but it tends to get forgotten often as not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

How do I find the general thread?

I tried “movie recommendations” in the search but don’t see it.

‘What have you watched recently’ is the thread you want

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

"What have you watched recently? 3D" is not a recommendation thread nor streaming-specific, although there are some cracking conversations in it so it's definitely worth reading anyway :)

I had a look there and it seems that the Streaming & VOD recommendations thread has properly died a death, maybe 5 posts in the last year or so. If you have (or are interested in) Mubi, this is the thread for you. And the Amazon equivalent of this thread is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I finally got to finish Maid and I have to say it was a really great series. Sure some convenient things happened at convenient times but all in all its the most in depth and accurate portrayal of emotional abuse I've seen, and I think it was incredibly well written. There were some moments towards the end where I expected certain scenes to play out a certain way but they surprised me in a really good way. In particular

I'M TRYING TO PUT THE NEXT BIT BEHIND SPOILER TAGS BUT I DON'T THINK IT'S WORKING, SO.... SPOILERS!!

[spoiler] the fact Alex just listened to Sean feeling sorry for himself when he gave Maddie back to her. She didn't try to comfort him, or give him any kind of reaction. And when she left him after picking Maddie's stuff up and he was still doing it, but she just got in the car and left for Montana. I think a lot of other shows would have had her thank him for not fighting the custody thing, or had her leave him with some kind words to encourage him to get sober or look after himself or whatever. I was so glad that she just walked away from that and didn't give him any more of herself [/spoiler]

So yeah, great show that really pulled me in way more than I was expecting it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Apologies if recommended or discussed previously (the search function on this site is unusable and the google search only references peteeeds (firstly have to thank you for keeping this thread updated with new additions. So appreciate it and should have thanked you sooner) usual Netflix additions (page 302) but the Sports documentary about the female boxer (I only referred to her as female as her name is unisex) Christy Martin. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt15085794/

She was a fcucking sensational boxer. I know we are lucky to have who is considered the best female boxer ever in Katie Taylor, but honestly she wouldn’t have stood a chance with Christy Martin. It chronicles her rise to stardom, her strained relationship with her boxing coach and eventual husband, her infamous promoter Don King, her rivalry with a very butch fighter, and that’s only halfway. I won’t spoil the second half as it must be seen to be believed but as they say reallife is always stranger than fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've heard a lot of good buzz about A Cop Movie, a documentary/fiction hybrid about police in Mexico City. Has gotten some very positive reviews following film festival screenings over the last couple of months.

It's a Netflix exclusive and out today - I'm looking forward to checking it out over the weekend. Almost certainly a better bet than Red Notice going by the critical response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Why would Katie not have stood a chance? I know these docu's can over hype, I'm sure a similar one on Taylor could make it seem like she'd beat Tyson in his prime ... but the only advantage I see that Christy might have is that she's 2 weight classes above Taylor, and this might suit Taylor more so - as speed is one of her main weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Started watching Stuck Together a French COVID comedy, usual French absurdity but quite watchable, even if some bits are a bit too absurd. Some may not fancy it as it is set in the middle of that first lockdown with all that came with it.

A Cop movie - Director Alonso Ruizpalacios takes us deep into the Mexican police force in the film, which tells the story of Teresa and Montoya, together known as “the love patrol”. Following family tradition, Teresa and Montoya join the police force, only to find their convictions and hopes crushed. Their emotional bond becomes a refuge for the hostility they are exposed to. Ruizpalacios plays with the boundaries of non-fiction, blending experimental narrative and documentary storytelling to immerse the audience into the human experience of police work within a dysfunctional system, and giving voice to one of Mexico and the world’s most controversial institutions.

Narcos: Mexico: Season 3 – The spin-off from the drug-trafficking drama sees the previously Colombia-focused series cross the border into new territory. The third and final season will take us into the 1990s, as the drug business meets globalisation and war breaks out in the wake of Gallardo’s arrest. As a new generation of kingpins emerges, truth becomes the first casualty. Scoot McNairy will be back once again as Breslin, joined by returning cast members José María Yázpik, Alfonso Dosal, Mayra Hermosillo, Matt Letscher, Manuel Masalva, Alejandro Edda, Gorka Lasaosa.

Big Mouth: Season 5 – Created by Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg, the adult animation continues to chart the growing pains of life into literal monsters with foul mouths and bizarre habits.

The Club: Part 1 – In cosmopolitan 1950s Istanbul, a mother with a troubled past works at a nightclub to reconnect with and help the rebellious daughter she couldn’t raise.

Where Is Marta? Season 1 – Teenager Marta del Castillo’s disappearance made headlines in Spain. Family, friends, police and more weigh in on a case that is still unresolved.

Gloria: Sason 1 – Spies, lies and secrets flourish in Glória do Ribatejo, 1968, as a privileged Radio Free Europe engineer plays all the angles of Cold War Portugal.

The Unlikely Murderer: Season 1 – This series dramatizes how a man claiming to be a witness at the assassination of Swedish prime minister Olof Palme may have gotten away with murder.

We Couldn't Become Adults (Japanese) - Prodded by a friend request, a feckless forty-something recalls his past relationships from the 90s onward, looking for his vanished hopes and dreams.

Zero to Hero (Cantonese) - This film chronicles record-breaking Paralympian So Wa-wai's relationship with his mother as they overcome hurdles in their lives. Based on a true story.

Yara (Italian) - A determined prosecutor becomes consumed with the case of a missing 13-year-old and goes to extreme lengths to get to the truth. Based on a real case.

Love Hard - After meeting her perfect match on a dating app, an LA writer learns she's been catfished when she flies 3,000 miles to surprise him for Christmas.

Life Is An Eternal Swing (French) - This documentary tells the intimate stories of a singing group and three jazz musicians in Bulgaria as they embark on their artistic journeys.

Mo Farah, No Easy Mile - Based on intimate interviews with his family and teammates, this documentary tells the story of distance runner and Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah

Saveart Recycling Art (Italian) - This documentary explores the SAVEART movement, which began in 2003 with the goal of using art made of recycled materials to address the climate crisis

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Where is it tho?? It seems to have disappeared. There must be some corporate reasons why this film is so difficult to show on tv??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,615 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have started watching a doc called The Confession Killer (don't think it's new)...utterly bonkers... gripping, would recommend going in blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Harder They Fall, spaghetti western meets blaxploitation , its easy fun

Dead Pixels Season 1 - Three friends obsess over a fantasy video game to the point of neglecting any personal and professional obligations that interfere with their gameplay. (highly recommended)

Lee Evans Concert - Comedian Lee Evans performs in 1994 at Her Majesty's Theatre in London after winning the 1993 Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.

Ordinary Love - A breast cancer diagnosis and treatment shine a light on a couple's lifelong devotion, which must now endure a year of adversity

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,615 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ordinary love is excellent imo didn't get half enough attention.

It also shows Liam Neeson can still act, a world away from the geriaction stuff.

Advertisement