Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In an ideal world Id agree with your thoughts on the influence of the DUP on the electorate but am worried about if violence occurs (as it is increasingly likely e.g yesterday’s arrests https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/03/police-attacked-in-belfast-over-northern-ireland-protocol then all bets are off and loyalties to opposing sides will entrench again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The DUP are making a terrible error hitching themselves to the Tory Party and Johnson. As we see today, it is rapidly becoming the party of sleaze and corruption (or the existing corruption is becoming evident to everyone anyway). They could end up destroying themselves by being so close to the Conservatives (an openly English nationalist party) and refusing to criticise them or distance themselves from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They would die (and I mean that literally (and old literally not the new version)) before hitching themselves to anyone else. Tories represent "true Britishness" and the DUP are desperate to fit in with that ideal regardless of the consequences or the fact that "true Brits" don't know they exist or couldn't give a $h1t about those "Paddies & Mick's"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Cash for Ash scandal showed the DUP don't actually care about corruption or accountability either so they are well matched.

In all fairness though the alternative vista. There is no alternative but to side with the party that means a United Kingdom. Reneging on the protocol which was the best of both worlds has meant they have no choice but to cut their nose off to spite their face.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's a real dilemma. There's no other party in GB they can associate with. But being the Tory Party's sole friends and the only party who won't criticise them is a nightmare scenario, when we know just how corrupt Johnson and his buddies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It only matters if that was to matter to voters in NI. And sleeze in the Tory party is not going to have any effect on voters in NI as the No1 priority is which side you are on. Once you have your side then there really is little to choose from and you go with the most likely winner as otherwise you are wasting a vote.

While there is some movement in politics in NI, they are very far from a functioning democracy in terms of voters changing votes based on performance or the like

They are definitely losing support in the polls though. Even many NI unionists must know that Johnson and Frost couldn't give a toss about the province or its future - this must be the most isolated they (DUP) have ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Unfortunately, much of the DUP's losses have been the TUV's gains. Lest anyone is in any doubt as to the TUV's position on Brexit, here is a link to their Brexit page.

It would be really hypocritical for DUP voters to be concerned about Tory sleaze and corruption after the DUP has pinballrd from one scandal to the next with RHI scandal, planning scandals to all expense trips to Indian resorts being some of the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've an aunt who votes for them. She voted remain in 2016. I've never tried to balance that equation.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

SNIP. Don't just paste images here please.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Post removed. Lurleen Lumpkin, please read the charter before posting again and refrain from commenting on moderation on thread. This is a forum for original contributions, not for pasting tweets with snappy comments.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They don't need to associate with any party in GB.

The tiny size of NI within the UK and the impact of first-past-the-post combine to mean that it's rare for it to make a blind bit of difference at UK level who the DUP vote with on any issue. On the rare occasions when they do actually hold the balance of power they should use that, not to reinforce their craven dependence on some British political faction that despises them, but as leverage to secure policies that will benefit the people they represent. Between 2017 and 2019 their price for supporting a government should have been the implementation of Brexit on terms that would minimise harm to NI. Instead, they threw their weight enthusiastically behind those pressing for a maximally harmful Brexit, in the pathetic hope of securing their approval.

It was a disastrous decision, both for them and for Northern Ireland. But let's not tell ourselves - and let's not let them tell themselves - that they had no other choice.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DUP voters have no cause to get high and mighty about Tory sleaze. Their own party have been guilty for decades of sectarian policies that oppress, alienate, minimise, disenfranchise, delegitimise and segregate.

It only exists because the official Unionist Party weren't militant enough. It grew out of direct action groups of the 60s that sought to snuff out Catholic civil rights efforts and in the 1980s it even spun off its own paramilitaries for Christ's sake!

Tory gammon and DUP gammon are the same thing, indivisible, indistinguishable xenophobic scum, relics of a bygone age that weep for jingoistic glory days that never actually existed.

I disagree. Hard-wired into the EU position here is that the EU's response to UK shenanigans will be everything but a hard border. To allow a hard border to be forced is to allow the UK to win; that's the last thing the EU wants, not just in our interests but in the interests of the wider Union. The UK cannot be seen to secure advantage from flouting the law, trashing its treaties and betraying its word.

This is set out in black and white in Article 16. If the UK invokes Art 16, and the EU adopts countermeasures, in deciding on those countermeasures "priority shall be given to such measures as will least disturb the functioning of this Protocol" — i.e. you don't adopt countermeasures which harden the Irish border. You can be sure that it wasn't the UK that negotiated that particular sentence into the Protocol.

The EU will (further) harden the GB:EU border before it will harden the NI:RoI Border. Not only does that help to preserve the object of the Protocol, but it's also a much more effective way of putting manners on the British. Vastly more trade crosses the GB:EU border, so measures adopted there will have a bigger and more immediate impact. Plus they will have their impact in GB rather than in NI. We know that the Westminster establishment is basically indifferent to the welfare of NI or to the state of public opinion there, but discontent in England they will pay attention to.

So, if the gloves do come off, for reasons of both principle and pragmatism hardening the Irish border will be the EU's last resort, not its first.

One thing that I was wondering is if the unthinkable happens and a developed Western Nation breaks an International Peace treaty with another developed Western Nation. In addition to that unthinkable scenario the Member State is part of a Union that has a Common Defense policy where the European Union Global Strategy (EUGS) is the updated doctrine of the EU to improve the effectiveness of the CSDP, including the defence and security of the members states, the protection of civilians, cooperation between the member states' armed forces.

From reading the above above this means that if a Non Member EU State threatens the defense and security of Ireland and the protection of Irish civilians are required, then this could lead to military intervention by the EU in addition to any trade wars that will be imposed.

Notwithstanding all of that and it does happen, who are they going to actually get to build this hard border. I couldn’t imagine a construction company would want to take on the task where the risk of workers being taken out by snipers is more than considerable. I couldn’t imagine the military would have the expertise to do it. I couldn’t imagine any Irish construction company risking not only the adverse publicity but also the lives of its employees. So who does it leave?

Checks would be done on the ferries before a hard border was erected. It doesn't even seem like a big deal really when you have so much time to do them. Obviously, the UK wouldn't have a smooth flow of trade with the EU if it got to that point so everyone would be a loser.

Is that akin to a border in the Irish sea (which I’ve never really understood to be honest)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Sounds more like a Celtic sea border - I e. Ireland outside the single market.

We cannot say it would put Ireland outside the Single Market without saying the NIP puts NI outside the UK market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

The NIP does put NI outside from UK internal market. I'm happy to say that.

Would checks on ferries put Ireland outside the Single Market, if all of the same goods and services could be traded? I don't think so.

I'm not saying this as a solution. It would be a slowly-implemented last resort while the UK would effectively be embargoed.

I’d consider myself quite up to date with Brexit politics and especially Northern Ireland security as it was a major part of my masters (way back in 2007/2008 in international humanitarian law (law of armed conflict and counter terrorism) but am ashamed to say that although I heard the term ‘Irish Sea Border’, I never took the time to research what it was. I thought it was checks on products and people from the U.K. to Ireland and vice versa carried out in ports and airports, but thinking about it, that makes no sense.

From what I have just read its checks on products coming from the U.K. into Northern Ireland carried out at U.K. ports and airports to ensure standards and appropriate tariffs are met. The EU requires many goods - such as milk and eggs - to be inspected when they arrive from non-EU countries, while some products, such as chilled meats, aren't allowed to enter at all. This lead to sausage roll and chicken nugget gate. Once in Northern Ireland there is no restrictions on moving it to Ireland. Honestly you can see where the Unionists are coming from, (well kind of) there is an invisible wall between Northern Ireland and the U.K. and there is restrictions on what they can and can’t do, with additional queues, paperwork and headache to go to what they consider is one entity.

No way does that justify the self sacrificing of everything that has been achieved after decades of violence and bloodshed. But the mentality is incomprehensible.

We already have had days of violence on the streets and we haven’t even ventured into the expectations if the NIP and subsequently the GFA is breached.

Fcucking masked men entering a bus, pouring petrol inside and setting it alight because of the NIP is scary. https://youtu.be/CCdk36E-XZ0

And a huge difference between what could happen in a ‘Troubles (can’t stand that term as it completely downgraded what occurred 2.0 and the 1970s up to the GFA is that Ireland will be in the crosshairs of any loyalist paramilitaries as they believe all of this is our fault. You could just imagine the East Belfast or Portadown drawl saying “If it wasn’t for Ireland, then none of this occurs.”

Post edited by joeguevara on

Wait, you're advocating checks on goods being ferried from Ireland to the rest of the EU? I assumed when you suggested ferry checks you mean meant on ferries from GB to the EU.

No. Not a chance of checks on IRL-rest of EU trade. That's the whole point of the Single Market. Not even the UK government has suggested this "solution" at any point, though it has been advocated by some of the madder backbench elements of the Tory Party. This would be a capitulation by the EU to the Tory right. It's not going to happen.

I'm not advocating anything. I'm saying I think it's more likely than a border. What I'm talking about has always been the big fear of a collapse of everything.

The "Irish Sea border" is actually checks both on GB-NI trade and on GB-IRL trade. There's a border appling to all trade in goods crossing the Irish Sea from GB, whether they are going to NI or to IRL.

The checks on GB-IRL trade are uncontroversial. Ireland is in the EU; GB has left. So, naturally, trade between GB and IRL is subject to the same checks and controls as trade between GB and FRA, GB and NL, GB and BEL . . .

The controversial bit is checks on GB-NI trade. These are necessary to avoid checks on NI-IRL trade, which would involve a hard land border. When people talk about the Irish Sea border in the context of NI, they are mainly talking about the checks on GB-NI trade. The term also embraces checks on GB-IRL trade but, in the context of NI, they're uncontroversial and/or irrelevant.

The notion that "if it wasn't for Ireland, none of this occurs" needs to be corrected. The actual fact is that, if it wasn't for the UK, none of this occurs. The problem arises in the first place because of unilateral and unforced decisions made by the UK to end the current arrangements. And the Irish Sea border becomes the solution to the problem created by the UK because of the unilateral and unforced decisions made by the UK to reject all other available solutions that don't involve an Irish Sea border. The Irish Sea border is the solution the UK wants — the only one they would accept.

Ireland is not responsible for any of this; the UK is wholly responsible.

Just to clarify, and apologies if it wasnt clear, the comment regarding ‘if it wasn’t for Ireland none of this occurs’ should have been in inverted commas as what the loyalist paramilitary would say or think, which in turn in their eyes makes Ireland a target.

Just to be clear, the people who spouted absolute lies on Brexit are at fault. The people who swallowed it unquestionably are morons but not at fault. As the legend James O’Brien would say ‘blame the conmen, not the conned’. And Boris Johnson is at the top of that. Man is pure Fcucking evil.

• Advertisement

Oh, OK. In my view neither of them are particularly likely. There are lots of measures the EU could take to put manners on the UK that are both more appropriate and more effective than either of these.

Advertisement