Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Last Saturday at J14 only 1 car could charge at a time on the HPCs. I plugged in and tried to start my charge but it stopped the car that was already charging. The owner got out and we tried to figure out what was going on. I moved to another unit so he could finish, and there was a Kia already charging. Same thing happened at the second unit, but luckily the Kia was finishing up and so I was able to charge. While all this was going on 2 or 3 more BEVs appeared. Each car that was charging had someone inside to make sure their charge wasn't stopped accidently.

All this was reported to eCars on the day, no idea if the problem is still there or has been sorted since.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You really can get anything on AliExpress

EDIT:

Epic description:

Electric vehicle charging station charger Blue coast 60kw double guns

Enhance rapid charging on the strategic trunk road network

Welsh Government will work with Transport for Wales to deliver the provision of rapid charging every 20 miles on the strategic trunk road network of Wales by 2025.

Has eCars ever stated their plans like this, or is it always vague statements about hubs and fast chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Every 20 miles seem daft. Every 40 miles even is excessive. Any modern EV can easily do 150km, put a hub every 150km and on lesser roads that find it hard to pass a hub. Hubs also need to be where the grid can support long term superhubs and ideally have food and toilet options nearby.

Wales is very, very rural in parts with many areas where 50kW chargers would not be viable, particularly as most locals could home charge. There was a go fund me style campaign to try self fund some chargers in mid Wales with no chargers a year or two ago.

October Update

CCS/CHAdeMO split

My stats say, over the last 2 weeks:

CHAdeMO has been occupied 23.6% of the time. (12.87 weeks of use) (down 6.8%)

CCS the other 69.6% of the time (32.52 weeks of use)

Unit counts

0 Ultra fast chargers (ESB downgraded them to FAST)

84 Fast charge units installed (ESB for some reason reclassified loads of Fast units to SCP - they've slowly moved a few back)

576 Slow charge AC units installed (ESB moved loads of FCP to SCP for some unknown reason - they've slowly moved a few back)

118 CCS plug units

127 CHAdeMO plug units

524 Untethered plug units

283 of the newer 22kW AC units are now in place.

107 of the old units yet to be replaced, and 11 of those single socket AC units to be replaced too.

AC updates to the new Evolve Smart T unit

Lisnasharragh Leisure Centre, Montgomery Rd, Castlereagh, Belfast BT6 9HS

Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, 153 Bangor Rd, Holywood, Down

Cairnshill Park and Ride, Saintfield Road/Purdysburn Road, Belfast, Antrim

Jordanstown Train Station Park & Ride, Lynda Avenue, Jordanstown, Antrim

Sandyford Luas Park and Ride, Blackthorn Avenue, Sandyford, Dublin 18

Agnew Street, Larne, Antrim

AC units upgraded to DC - 42 of the 50 delivered Bit of a vague number, this is 42 of those units installed, but they're being installed at the "hubs" too.

The Square Shopping Centre, Belgard Road (R113), Tallaght, Dublin 24

Marina Car Park, Off Strand Street, Dingle, Kerry

New FCP

Circle K Service Station, M8 @Junction 3 (R433), Ballacolla, Laois X2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2021 YTD passenger car sales

CCS: 7,500

CHAdeMO: 730

eCars sites where there are more CCS than CHAdeMO plugs: 1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Doing some quick math on charger usage

October DC usage = 45.39 weeks = 7,625.52 hours

Assuming an average charging speed of 40kW, the usage is 305,020.8kWh

At €0.305/kWh gives a monthly turnover of €93,031.34

So when AC usage is added that should bring it well over €100k per month

After costs are subtracted, and assuming an installation cost of roughly €50k per charger, then ESB should be able to install a new DC charger a month and break even

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

And that’s before they touch the €10m gifted to then by the state…..

unless of course they spazz loads of cash on 350kW chargers which then end up limited to 150kW…..

The cynic in me might suggest that the bulk of the costs with that project were spent on the grid connection.

It's not like a company paying itself with state grants has ever gone wrong before right? 😏

I've been told the limit of 150kW isn't actually a limit. It's there to better represent what customers can expect to get from the unit. Which makes no sense really. People will still be in the dark when they're only getting 70kW from a 150kW unit. Lazy by ecars

• Advertisement

Anyone know if this has happened yet? Will the site go into test mode again and will it have any additional impact on the half working 350kW units?

ESB ecars October 28 at 3:13 AM · 

⚠ UNAVAILABLE CHARGER ⚠

📌 Mayfield Service Station, M7 Junction 14, Monasterevin, Kildare

⚡ Please note that the Fast Charger (50kW) at the above location will be unavailable from Monday 1st of November, due to upgrade works to facilitate the swap out of the unit for a High Power Charger.

⚡ The three High Power chargers on site will remain fully operational through the planned works.

⚡ We apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are expecting the new charger to be available in approximately one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

I'm not sure I undersand your figures. Are ESBs costs of producing/buying electicity public?

Well, the announcement says it starts on the 1st, will last a week, and the other 3 units will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Just one car charging there at the moment and rendered the only CHAdeMO unavailable. You can't make this up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There shouldnt be a chademo on a HPC anyway so I have no problem with that.

I suspect there'll be 2 HPC with 1 CHAdeMO plug each after they swap out the FCP unit.

Just income, and there's a lot of guesswork regarding the costs

I don't know if Ecars release separate financial reports so we can't get a good idea of their profit margin.

However it's probably safe to say that they aren't selling the electricity at cost and it's likely at a significant markup

As for the costs to install a charger, again they're estimated. There was a report a while back from the US about how much it costs to install a DC charger. It was around $30k for a 50kW unit and close to $100k for a HPC

I guessed €50k based on the fact that ESB mostly installs 50kW units and it probably costs them more given this is a higher cost country

However, the government covers 50% of that cost with the €10 million grant, so the real cost to ESB is probably around €25k

"I don't know if Ecars release separate financial reports so we can't get a good idea of their profit margin."

Nope, the figures are buried in ESB FS under Customer Solutions, no eCars standalone figures that I'm aware of.

NOTES TO THE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS

For management purposes, the Group is organised into four key reportable segments, being the Group's strategic divisions which are managed separately and in respect of which internal management information is supplied to Executive Management and to the Board being collectively the Chief Operating Decision Maker (CODM) of the Group. Three further corporate divisions provide support and other services to the principal operating divisions of the Group and are combined as Other Segments in the information below. A description of the Group's key reportable segments is as follows:

(a) Customer Solutions develops, markets, sells and services innovative energy supply and service offerings through all of ESB’s customer-facing brands (Electric Ireland, Smart Energy Services, ESB e-Cars, ESB Telecoms and ESB Energy) in Ireland (ROI and NI) and Great Britain (GB). Electric Ireland is the leading supplier of electricity and gas to domestic customers on the island of Ireland. Customer Solutions operates in the GB domestic market through ESB Energy. Electric Ireland also has a substantial market share in the non-domestic sector in both the ROI and NI. Revenues are primarily derived from sales to electricity and gas customers. 

(b) ESB Networks

(c) Generation and Trading 

(d) NIE Networks 

(e) Other Segments

Darn, then there's no way to see how profitable the network is

I suspect some of those chargers are making a fair bit of money now, the older ones that have been paid off and are in busy spots

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I suspect anything in the GDA is money making at this point. They are always busy, and there's queues in a lot of places.

Similarly motorway services should be money making, as would the ones around cork (also seems always busy when I go to use it)

• Advertisement

The one in Waterford definitely doesn't make any money. Between ESB having to pay rent and the owner fencing off the charger it probably doesn't get much turnover

Still about 3.5 hours use per day on average. €10k over year assuming AC average of 30kWh delivered per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

It would be very interesting to see the actual cost of production of electricity. I doubt it more than 5-6 cents per KWh.

Most of the cost must runnig the grid and there is probaby considerabel overhead in actually running the company.

Not sure if this should be posted here or on a new thread

p149

15.3.3 Fleet Electrification

Electrification of the vehicle fleet offers a pathway to zero tailpipe emissions, with several co-benefits such as improved air quality, reduced noise pollution, and less fossil fuel dependence. There are currently over 45,000 EVs registered on Irish roads, so while the number has improved, the pace of uptake must increase over the coming years to achieve our fleet electrification targets.

Subject to technological advances, it is expected that by the mid-2020s EVs (cars and vans) will reach total cost of ownership (TCO) parity with ICE vehicles. This means that when the average consumer factors in both the up-front and running costs, an EV will be as economical to own as a petrol or diesel equivalent. However, until TCO parity is achieved, the higher cost of an EV will remain a significant barrier to uptake. Range anxiety is a further impediment, although technology is quickly advancing with new EV models entering the market capable of traveling more than 500 kilometres on a single charge. In parallel, the continued development of a reliable public charging network will be needed to support the EV transition. In this regard, it will also be essential that additional electrical grid capacity is available to cater for this growing EV fleet. As Ireland will be competing against strong EU-wide demand for EVs, we need to offer a robust package of regulatory, taxation, engagement and subsidy measures to maintain a secure supply of models to our market. The recently published EV Policy Pathway Report highlights some ways to achieve this.

A dedicated Office of Low Emitting Vehicles will be established to act as a one-stop-shop for members of the public interested in purchasing or using an EV. The office will provide independent, non-sales advice and information on EVs, and support test driving experiences as well as commissioning research and assisting in policy development. Additional measures that will be put in place to accelerate and support the major transition to EVs include:

• Continued support for the expansion of the EV charging network, along with public investment to drive consumer confidence in the availability and reliability of public charging infrastructure

Setting the strategy for EV charging stations with a target to stay ahead of demand, coupled with clear planning rules that facilitate the installation, and increase the obligation, over time

• Ensuring electricity grid readiness, so that adequate electrical capacity is available to support the rapid pace of transition to EVs

• Reviewing and updating VRT and other fiscal and regulatory incentives in the EV sector, as well as considering fiscal and regulatory disincentives for ICE vehicles

• Reviewing and amending building regulations regarding the installation and required number of charging points in both residential and non-residential buildings

• Identifying measures to support the shift to electric vans

• Committing to transitioning the public transport fleet to low emission alternatives • Making conversion of fleets to EVs a central element of the mandate for all public bodies 

It might be worth mentioning again here (in case anyone missed in in the Tesla SuperCharger thread), but the ground works are complete at the Enfield SuperCharger site where there’ll be 6 EV charging spaces, 4 of which will be Tesla Superchargers, and the other 2 seemingly belonging to eCars…. But the eCars spaces have been wired up for rapid charging….. so though initially it might be just an AC charger going in, it would have the potential for a fast DC charger in future….

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi folks.

Is there a way of filtering on the ecars website to show 150kw plus chargers only?

don’t have an EV……..yet, but where these chargers are located could seal the deal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

No. But they are not so many, you can learn them quickly. Filter by CCS and where you see a number greater than 1 there is one. Exception Dublin port.2 x50kW units and of course M7 exit 14 with 3 soon 4 150kW units

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The planning application is 8 Tesla charging spots…..

the development will consist of 8 No. car parking spaces, 8 No. Tesla illuminated charger points, 8 No. Tesla parking sign posts, 2 No. Tesla supercharger cabinets, 1 No. ESB substation/switch room, and for all associated site development works within the curtilage of a registered protected structure reference number MH048-103

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How can Tesla (an overseas company) get planning, get a good location, drop in 8 superchargers which are very reliable and do this very quickly, yet the ESB (homegrown) still arse around dropping in the odd 150kw charger at a petrol station and haven't got anywhere close to putting in reliable, numerous hubs for EV's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Are there any 150kw+ chargers near kilkenny or further towards Waterford on the m9?

If not are there any plans for them in the near future?

Advertisement