Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If he doesn't know if he has COVID, how did you diagnose it? As has been said before there are many viruses that produce the same types of symptoms. Cases that do not necessitate hospitalisation really don't count at all, any more than the other stuff that is doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If you're all young and vaccinated, he has mild symptoms and you have none, even if it's covid, who cares? You could just hide in your bedroom if you're afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Why do people like this poster above always goto the oh just hide in your bedroom line when someone comes on here asking about tests and self isolating its not funny and is just a load of bollocks. The hospital numbers are still far to high and a third of ICU beds are taken up with covid patients which is having a knock on effect to non covid care in the system. If you display symptoms self isolate and get a test. nearly 20 months of this and this still has to be banged on about.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Foggy glasses side-q.

The mask plus glasses combo wasn't much of an issue heretofore (once I started using masks that had the little bit of wire to shape around your nose), but I shaved off my beard the other day, and the fogginess is back to being a pain now.

Anyone else experience similar, or have a plausible explanation as to the presumably leaving cert science behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This is hysterical, black and white thinking on the issue. Again, if symptoms are mild or non-existent and you're all vaccinated, there is no problem at all. At some stage you need to just get on with it and if this absolutely low risk context creates fear then maybe address your fear instead of forcing others to go out of their way to accommodate it for you.

You definitely are missing something. Have hospitalisations dropped by 10% or 90%. Just about 50% from the 8% unvaccinated and 50% from the 92% vaccinated over the last few weeks. A significant proportion of the vaccinated being hospitalised are immuno compromised, and a significant proportion of those have now had their booster. Therefore a reduction in a portion of the hospitalised is expected but its not been massive

Where is this new definition of fully vaxxed being 3 doses?

You’d actually be safer to society though if you did just stay in your room.

The need to go for a test means you are going to come into contact with people. At the very least the car park attendant at the test centre and the tester.

If you don’t drive maybe you need to get a lift or take public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

• Advertisement

In terms of the hospital numbers, I think the increase a few weeks back was just due to the outbreaks in some hospitals.

Once the outbreaks are under control it makes sense that numbers will drop again.

The hospital numbers are remaining very low due to a combination of vaccines, boosters and probably most importantly increased natural immunity.

The government can’t say it out straight because there would be outrage but we are essentially letting it rip at the moment and that’s a good thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am exhausted by this, most parents I know are.

Testing every couple of weeks.Same day tests no longer available.Debating over whether to keep perfectly healthy siblings out of school for 2 -3 days while we wait for the test, get the test and wait for the result.Then it turns into do we need a doctor.Wait another 2 days for a doctor appointment, hoping your child doesn't get any sicker and end up needing to go to A&E.Tests that have come back positive on small children, siblings and parents stay home for the 2 weeks, basically waiting to catch it.The attitude is becoming similar to the chicken pox.... "well if one has it now, I hope they all get it, so we can get this over with in one go".

The HSE phone line is still giving out stupid advice like "isolate your 3 year old in a room away from everyone".What planet do they live on?

I've had enough of this, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are the HSE seriously advising to isolate a 3 year old away from everyone in the house ? Are they for real ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, as above might be more to do with the cold weather making the glasses more sensitive to fogging.

The main cause is airflow up through the top of the mask. The most successful methods I've found are wearing the glasses a little further down your nose, with the bridge on top of the mask; and focussing on breathing only through your nose. Annoying, but nearly as annoying as fogged up glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Four or five symptoms of covid, you always presume the worst until you get results back from a test. Isn't this what we've been told to do, any flu like symptoms is a sign of covid... But no way, not in this lad.

And even if it was the "flu", how is it ok to spread it from house to house. He shouldn't have went home with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We are basically fully open with hospital numbers less than 25% of what they were in January

Boosters are underway for our vulnerable and anti viral drugs with 'game-changing results' on the way aswel.

It's all looking rather silly now with the press conferences etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said Covid-19 case

numbers will reach around 4,000 today or

tomorrow, partly because of a backlog of

unreported cases.

Speaking on RTE's Morning Ireland, Mr Varadkar

said the situation is "fragile, but it is stable".

"We will see cases hit around 4,000 today or

tomorrow."

' he said.

"They've been heading that way and there's a

backlog of unverified cases.“””

Mr Varadkar said these case numbers do not mean

the same thing as they did this time last year, but

he said more restrictions cannot be ruled out.

"It would be reckless to do so, but I can say that it's

not our intention and we don't expect to have to

reimpose restrictions before Christmas.“”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

You have my sympathy but unfortunately I don’t see any end in sight until maybe March or April next year.

I have a 1 year old in crèche and he’s sent home every 3-4 weeks and I lose at least 3 days work/pay every time yet still have to pay almost 2 grand in fees every month. His older sister is also sent home every time this happens. My wife teaches so I’m home alone with them.

At this point the only break I’ll get from this never ending nightmare is when I end up in St John of Gods!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

couple of friends who had symptoms were given a "free" taxi ride to/from testing centre. it's about a 30 min drive each way. was this always the case?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unfortunately I agree.If there was an end in sight it feel better but it is just hideously exhausting to think of months and months of this.

I would get my kids vaccinated just to cut this hassle out of my life.

• Advertisement

Yeah my sister was told this last week when her (just) 3 year old tested positive.In quite a forecful way, by some guy on the phone who rang after the result came through.

She told the guy he clearly doesn't have kids, and to stop giving out silly,unworkable advice.People have been reported to Tusla for less, it's ridiculous they think this is valid advice to give people.

Anyone who can't get to a test centre isn't supposed to use public transport. You're supposed to find some other way, or if you're really stuck I think the advice is to just not go and to self-isolate until you feel well.

There are free taxi rides available for people going to vaccination centres though. Given that vax centres and test centres are often on the same campus, and that the number of people going to vax centres is way down, I wonder are some drivers bringing people for tests and putting them through as free trips to vax centres?

This is true -family members and friends got tested on the 31st and 1st and results only started trickling through yesterday evening.Most have since gone for retests and got the results, before the earlier ones arrived.

Hospital cases at 463 this morning, up five. Typical to see lower discharge numbers no Wednesday / Thursday night before a bump on Friday nights.

Varadkar's assessment is spot on IMO - fragile, but stable sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Antigen tests should be everywhere this is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Unfortunately the creche we use don’t recognise them. It’s PCR or GTFO.

My words there obvs. Between waiting a day for appointment and 48 hours for results it’s 4 days lost vs 15 mins with antigen. Absolute madness but that’s Ireland for you.

• Advertisement

Yeah using them, but it's kicking and screaming every time regardless.So do you do an antigen and then repeat the kicking and screaming at the PCR, or just go straight for the PCR and only have one episode of it.....And if you need to actually see a doctor they won't settle for an antigen and may send the child for a PCR anyway....there is no winning.

Advertisement