Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

There are also parts of the world not governed or claimed by any state. for example : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/03/welcome-to-the-land-that-no-country-wants-bir-tawil. A potential place for the "stateless"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Don't new citizens have to swear fidelity to the nation? Surely engaging in a massive defrauding of the State is a breach of this?

What makes us responsible for them?

They have chosen to break our laws, and to show themselves unworthy of being citizens of Ireland. Why should we care whether they retain citizenship elsewhere? Why should we care whether they have somewhere to go to? The simple fact is that people can travel just about anywhere for short periods, and if they have the qualifications or skills required, can get longer visas to live and work elsewhere.

Why do we need to bow our heads to the bleeding hearts who feel we need to provide for everyone, regardless of their lack of value to our own nation? This is why multiculturalism has failed across Europe. This is why the US is splintering over cultural divisions (and no, not just the African Americans or the Native Indians). It is these short sighted feel good beliefs which has caused problems in Denmark, France, Germany, etc. This is why assimilation was pushed aside as being "unwanted", and replaced with a vague idea of integration that few can quantify or prove to be any kind of success. This is why an underclass of the uneducated, unskilled, or the criminal have established themselves in all countries where this kind of immigration has been encouraged to happen.

When are we going to wise up, and start placing the future of our nation first, before the supposed needs of people who will not respect our laws or cultural norms? Yes, we should be happy to encourage skilled immigration, or people who are happy to settle in western nations, who want to live here because of our low corruption, low crime, high standards of living, etc. But do we really need to be so cheap? Do we really need to value our citizenship so low that we don't have standards that apply for those wanting to join us?

It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State are fundamental duties of all citizens - Bunreacht, Art 9.3. No distinction is made between citizens by birth, descent or naturalisation. If you view financial fraud on the state as a violation of the requirement of loyalty which warrants revocation of citizenship, then you have to revoke the citizenship of citizens by birth and descent as well as of citizens by naturalisation. Doing so only the case of citizens by naturalisation would infringe the requirement that all citizens be held equal before the law - Bunreacht, Art 40.3.

Like I say, you either take the founding principles of the republic seriously, or you betray then in order to victimise people of a different race or ethnicity. Your call.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I’d lay any money false banking accounts didn’t involve applying for a mortgage. Easy come, easy go except it’s easy come, easy come.

probably retrofitted house(s) too. As for property tax.............

• Registered Users Posts: 25,475 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not discriminatory...

Asylum seekers have 13 obligations they must meet..We don’t have the same, or the same consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,475 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I do yes, I also understand discrimination as an ‘unjustified distinction’... the dictionary agrees.... making fair and correct distinction is ok.

thats why people with certain illnesses can’t drive, why people with a poor grasp of English can’t fly an aircraft...are they being discriminated against ? Is is discriminatory ? Not in the eyes of the dictionary or the law.

Discriminate: To differentiate; to distinguish; to treat differently. From the Latin discrimen, a distinction or difference.

Discrimination in itself is neither good nor bad. To choose an icecream based on flavour is to discriminate between e.g. chocolate and strawberry; it's a morally neutral act. It can be positive: a rule forbidding men from the women's changing room and vice versa obviously discriminates between men and women, but most people would agree that this is a wise and desirable discrimination to make. To say that someone is a sound judge of whiskey is a compliment; it means that he has the discriminating taste that can distinguish between the bad stuff and the good.

But there are certain forms of discrimination that we think are generally wrong - discrimination between men and women in the workplace, for example. Even in those case there are exceptions - e.g. you can hire an actress rather than an actor to play a female role - but the general principle is that we shouldn't discriminate between men and women in the workplace, and any exception requires scrutiny and needs to be justified. Hiring the actress over the actor is still discrimination, obviously; we are treating male and female applicants for the job differently. It's just not unlawful discrimination.

Right. When it comes to citizenship, the general principle is that we treat all citizens equally. That's the principle of equality before the law. As already noted, it's constitutionally enshrined in Ireland (and many other countries). It's also generally recognised as a fundamental of modern republican political theory. (If you disagree with that principle, now is a good time to say so, explicitly. The conversation will not go well if you don't believe in equality before the law, but pretend that you do.)

Given that principle, a suggestion that two people who commit the same crime should be differently punished depending on the circumstances in which they acquired their citizenship is definitely discrimination, and definitely requires a compelling justification. It's the creation of first- and second-class citizenship, so as to discriminate between citizens. I've pointed out the need for a justification several times in this thread. I've yet to see a compelling justification offered.

Most attempts to do so draw attention to the ethnic background of the citizens against whom it is desired to discriminate. But these attempts are dead in the water, frankly; we generally regard discrimination on the grounds of ethnic or national origin just as we regard discrimination on the grounds of sex or sexual orientation; fundamentally objectional. Far from justifying the creation of second-class revocable citizenship for naturalised citizens, these arguments tend to reinforce the view that it is highly offensive.

Other attempts point to the duties of loyalty and fidelity that naturalised citizens owe, but they fail because they are the exact same duties owed by citizens by birth and citizens by descent. They are therefore not the reason for treating these groups differently. (They are possibly a cover for other reasons which people do not wish to acknowledge.)

Attempts to equate naturalised citizens with people who can't speak English or people who can't fly an aircraft also fall over. People who can't fly an aircraft are refused a pilot's licence. There's an obvious connection between the characteristic identified (inability to fly and aircraft) and the disadvantageous treatment imposed (refusal of pilot's licence). But people who acquired their citizenship by naturalisation are punished more severely for crimes than people who acquired it by birth or descent? I'm not seeing the connection here. You might as well suggest punishing brown-eyed people more severely than blue-eyed.

The bottom line here is that we don't strip citizens by birth or citizens by descent - the vast majority of citizens convicted of crimes - of their citizenship in consequence of a criminal conviction. Given this, there's no apparent need to do this to the minority of criminals who are citizens by naturalisation. Discriminating between these groups seems objectionable in principle for the reasons already given, and attempts to justify it do not stand up to even minimal critical scrutiny.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

Correct. But less than 5% of those failed applications are ever deported. Ireland is seen as a soft touch internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's even less than that .

We've had 60,000 + come through direct provision ,but that's only one area we've something like 11,000 deportation orders issued

We've deported less than 1500 people over the 30 years ,

So the idea of only 20% get approval is bs where have the tens of thousands of failed asylum seekers gone ,oh yes they went on to get citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Try taking this position to the WRC if you ever find yourself accused of discriminating against someone just because something made sense in your head. It'll be a short hearing.

The examples you list relate to specific scenarios where the risk to others as a consequence of allowing someone to do something outweighs the desirer to allow them to do it. Ones persons desire to do exactly what they want does not outweigh another persons right to stay safe. (Copy and paste this argument for any conversation about masks and 'My rights')

You seem to be assuming that the only possible outcomes of an unsuccessful asylum application are (a) deportation or (b) citizenship - there are no other possible outcomes.

But you'd need to be at a Fr Dougal Maguire-level of stupidity to think that. So I don't think you really do think that. I think you're just pretending to.

@Peregrinus You seem to be assuming that the only possible outcomes of an unsuccessful asylum application are (a) deportation or (b) citizenship - there are no other possible outcomes.

Like?

Well, voluntary departure, for one. INIS has a strong preference for voluntary departure, and facilitates this wherever possible. That's one of the reasons why the number of deportations carried out is small. This is the kind of thing you would know if you took any real interest in this question, as opposed to leaping to conclusions which are unsupported by evidence but which gratify and confirm your prejudices.

Another possible outcome of an unsuccessful asylum application is a grant of subsidiary protection - the is the outcome where you are found not to qualify for refugee status, but it is not currently safe to return you to your home country. Yet another possible outcome is "permission to remain", which may be granted for humanitarian or other reasons. These are not citizenship and they do not necessarily lead to citizenship.

Again, these are the kind of things you would already know if you cared about these matters.

Voluntary departures 😂😂😂

That explains it all .

So yes citizenship arrive ,stay , apply,

Granted easy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is one of those fellas a citizen and the other here for 5 years with a child (no mention of citizenship but presuming not here long enough to be naturalised)

I presume then, from your "no discrimination" stance, you wouldn't be in favour of deporting your man who is not a citizen? Would you even be in favour of using it as a reason to deny his application for citizenship or would that be discrimination as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yes 100%

But I am sure we will find them a nice job in an NGO instead to "pay off the debt"

We don't need to deport people who leave. That's where the failed asylum seekers go.

• Advertisement

Meh. A citizen is a citizen and all should be treated equally under the law. Real equality is absolutely ruthless in application - it doesn't play special favourites and it doesn't single out particular groups for special opprobium and punishment.

Also, I don't buy the idea that someone from Somalia is always less Irish than someone born and raised here. I lived abroad for more than 20 years, visiting Ireland intermittently. I'll probably head away again soon. In my own mind, someone from Somalia that has been here 10 years or whatever probably knows more about the day to day experience of living in Ireland than I do, at this stage.

"Yet another possible outcome is "permission to remain", which may be granted for humanitarian or other reasons. These are not citizenship and they do not necessarily lead to citizenship."

That is a bit misleading. After 5 years here they will get become eligible for citizenship. Yes, they won't automatically become citizens after 5 years - they need to go through the formality of filling out an application

Also, I think the It's an honour stuff is being overplayed a bit. Honour is earned. We achieve this 'honour' of citizenship through accident of birth. You might as well say it's an honour to be a saggitarius.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Exactly. People talking here like they sweated blood and tears for the country when they literally had no say in being 'Irish' but they want to hold people who suffered hardship in life, came to Ireland, liven in Direct Provision for god knows how long and choose to become Irish to a higher standard.

It's on the same level as when they bemoan multiculturalism negatively impact the Irish culture while the do nothing to promote an Irish culture and in many cases actually spend their time ridiculing it.

God, Gatling, you ask for information; I provide it; you ignore it. Why the shallow pretence of being interest in facts in the first place?

Do you know the figures for voluntary departures? Have you looked them up? No, didn't think so. Heaven forbid that any kind of reality should get in the way of your prejudice.

OK, then. Fester in your ignorance. I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,029 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ideally yes deport them....but the fact at least one of them is here 18 plus years, has an Irish passport and 5 kids so not straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I have a mate who works in customs and believe me they do try.

But scummy lawyers try every trick under the sun from their human rights to them being more Irish than Nigerian etc which makes it practically impossible to deport criminals.

Besides one of these guys has been here for 18 years and has 5 kids here. As much as I would deport any non-irish with a criminal conviction both of these guys are now irish citizens.

Article only refers to one as a citizen. The other is stated as being "in a relationship" with a citizen

• Advertisement

Some of the posts are reminiscent of vigilante 'law' during the Troubles. Those old enough to remember will recall news stories about criminals being given 48 hours 'to leave the Province.' Without getting into any of the rights and wrongs of setting up alternative legal 'systems' under a colonial power, giving someone 48 hours to feck off is not administering justice, it is abdicating the duty to adminsiter justice (applies to the State more than it does to vigilantes, of course, since vigilantes have excused themselves from standard legal mechanism and practices).

But sure luckit, I am a proud Pisces. And while we are a welcoming lot, we won't be taken for fools. If you want to be in our Piscean gang, and who could blame you, for we are an exceptional bunch, there are rules you must follow, especially if you were a Gemini before you joined us. 🙄😁

Advertisement