Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

More generally, there are socio-economic reasons other than population that mean other provinces simply don't have similar or comparable player numbers.

It's a middle-class, Anglo-Irish sport. Or is seen as such, which mean much the same thing.

We really need to remedy that,but it's not as simple as having better coaches at schools (albeit that would be a start).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hard to be available for summer tests in ireland when you have moved back home to Pretoria already.

Just because the 42 reports something in March doesnt mean its correct.

When you know something, because you actually know it then you dont have to look it up.

CJ wasnt available for the Irish Games or the lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I did know it, I added the link as proof, there are other sources also, CJ in his own statement explained that he was available to the end of the international window.

I don’t know how you missed all this because it was talked about a lot and it’s very recent history.

He obviously flew to SA after being advised Ireland would not call him up for the summer series, but it didn’t rule him out for a late call up for the lions, if a gap opened up, and that was also reported at the time the squad was announced.

Gatland pointedly made the comment he wanted ball players with footwork and not just straight runners, so he selected Conan over Stander. So your point is wrong, just admit it and move on, you tried to say Conan was only there because Stander retired which is provably false.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭theVersatile

All professional sports people are told “you will know when the time is right to hang up your boots”.

It’s a sentiment one cannot fully comprehend until that day arrives. For me, that time has come, and I hereby publicly announce my retirement from all forms of rugby. I will be available to represent Munster until 27 June 2021 when my contract expires, and for International duty, until the end of the mid-year Test window.

From his own announcement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Conway is worth a shout, and also Beirne, albeit the circuitous route.

There’s also the flip side too though: part of the reason Jordi never got back in is because of the talent behind him in the likes of Conan, Doris and Connors. So Jordi’s move, while it didn’t work out for the individual, proved beneficial to Irish (and Leinster) rugby.

It’s not exactly ideal either tho; I don’t mind at all having a cohort of from elsewhere but ideally, I want a majority of the Munster squad to be representational.

• Advertisement

Don’t know why you are posting statements like that when you are so ill-informed and didn’t even bother to do a simple fact-check before doubling down and getting smart about it, it casts a doubt on everything you post, or you could just admit your mistake and try to get a bit of credibility back for yourself after trying to belittle Conan and then just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,748 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, the first thing to do is to identify realistic goals for each province as each will have different realities as well as the fact that the IRFU have limited finances and resources plus the interests of the national team in mind. There would be a lot of competing interests throughout. I can only imagine how tricky that all would be.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I agree, very difficult problem to solve. And it's even harder to see a solution that doesn't involve trimming Leinster in some way. So I guess it comes down to IRFU priorities, I don't believe the current 1 + 3 model (1 excellent province and 3 decent ones) is sustainable in the long term but they may see it differently.

I think Jordi Murphy would have been surpassed even if he'd stayed at Leinster. Ultimately there was a reason he left in the first place.

The biggest problem for me is the soft money in Leinster Rugby, that is the money that goes toward Leinster Rugby without ever going through the IRFU books. I am certain it is many multiples of what goes on in other provinces purely due to geographical and societal realities. Of course I'm talking about the Leinster fee paying schools. It is difficult to see how other provinces will ever compete with this.

Here is a crazy stat. There are zero, yes, zero players in Ireland's starting 15 who went to school outside of Leinster or New Zealand. That is ridiculous.

Doris and Connors didn’t come through for a couple of years after Murphy left and Conan was injured for a lot of that time. None of them were in the 2019 RWC squad and Murphy still missed out there. And that even with Leavy and SOB out too, both of whom would have been in the squad alongside Murphy previously.

Conway may be worth a shout but it still took him 6(?) years to make his mark on the national side. That’s a Iong time in a rugby career. Beirnes move to Scarlets was the making of him rather than his move to Munster.

At best any kind of success story is few and far between. So movement between provinces is most likely a hard sell if you’re talking international ambition. Being second choice at Leinster is often better than being first choice elsewhere. Maybe we’ll see that change over the next while if we do see more movement due to the reduction in games.

It may well also be a one off too. Herring, Henderson, Murray, Stockdale, Balacoune, Zebo, Earls and Henshaw (albeit he plays for Leinster now) could all easily be first choice players for the 6Ns. Then on the bench you could easily have Killer, Bealham, POM/Coombes and Casey.

The problem is there, but this XV may be exaggerating it somewhat too.

• Advertisement

“It’s not exactly ideal either tho”

Agree, but for the IRFU, as long as that system doesn’t block a potential international then it will satisfy their needs.

the provinces themselves do have to be careful to make sure their fan base doesn’t lose interest, or probably more importantly that local talent is treated with respect and backed as much as possible.

the problem with Leinster is having two players that could be Ireland 1 and 2 in one position that aren’t both getting sufficient opportunity to develop or keep in form.

Healy and McGrath probably should have meant McGrath going to another province sooner

Ross Byrne and Harry Byrne, probably one of them should move to Connacht,

Kelleher and Sheehan, the other provinces are stocked at hooker so maybe not the same push to move, tricky one.

Furlong and Porter was the same but obviously that’s resolved now.

Deegan is another that with Conan, Doris, and Ruddock. from the IRFU’s point of view, would Deegan be better off at Connacht rather than Papali’i? Obviously Deegan probably would prefer to stay but at 25 he’s probably in dodgy territory if he stays, come the bigger matches if he doesn’t feature.

Ciarán Frawley might be a shout to move to Munster when De Allende moves on.

But having Healy and McGrath or Furlong and Porter at the same province didn’t hamper them in any way. They all went on to be internationals and selected for the Lions. Them being at the same province was never an issue. So moving them wasn’t required from their perspectives or from Irelands.

At least with prop there is a lot of rotation, but is Porter moving to loose head because of furlong or because Healy is ageing? If he was at another province would he be staying at tighthead, and it’s debatable whether he is more valuable to the IRFU as a tighthead or loose head.

there definitely were times where McGrath wasn’t happy and wasn’t getting enough game time though, it’s not entirely correct that there were no issues, but it was left alone as it wasn’t causing a significant issue perhaps.

Porter is moving because neither Ireland nor Leinster have a top class LH and both badly need one. Maybe McGrath did feel he wasn’t getting enough game time. But he was first choice for Leinster, Ireland and for the Lions so I’m not sure what he may have hoped to gain from getting more game time tbh.

McGrath and Healy were often injured at different times, but I’m sure there were occasions where one or the other were missing out on big games for Leinster due to being second choice.

You would most definitely know this better so I’ll have to defer to your better knowledge of Leinster’s recent history, rather than go trawling through match day squads now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Big difference is Sexton is fairly introverted while Zebo is a bit of an exhibitionist and fairly comfortable in his skin. That rubs some up the wrong way, and Zebo gives plenty of rubs. Everyone is a team player, but...Zebo also sometimes gives the impression that he could take it or leave it where JS is a bit of a fundamentalist when it comes to rugby and competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

How many have moved between provinces and enhanced their prospects with Ireland, though? I'd say Conway and Carberry because they both get more game time at Munster than they might at Leinster, and both have gotten caps consistently, injury permitting. Obviously Henshaw was already well established by the time he came to Leinster. Are there others? None of the guys who went to Ulster seem to haver succeeded in maintaining or building on their Irish potential. I wonder if this is a big influence on players when they're considering a move, particularly away from Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd argue that the lads who did leave Leinster to go to Ulster, i.e Jordi and McGrath didn't make a massive difference for Ulster, due to Ulsters squad depth. Ulster are getting better, but 3 yrs ago their depth was abysmal.

I do think that Timoney and EOS have done very well with Ulster, despite not getting the call for Leinster's academy.

Going forward, I'd be very surprised if Leinster hold onto some of their players for next season. Specifically, Dooley, T.O.B. and maybe even R.O.L.

There isn't enough minutes going around! Some may even take a shot in France or England. Young lads like Osborne coming in and playing well puts pressure on the older players. Max Deegan could possibly leave too. But the other provinces are well stocked for #8's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Cronin to Leinster probably didn't do himself any harm, was a sub for his whole career but won 70+ caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

“I don't believe the current 1 + 3 model (1 excellent province and 3 decent ones) is sustainable in the long term but they may see it differently.”

As a matter of interest, why? In terms of revenue that’s pretty optimal for the IRFU. In terms of development of the game, I could see it holding back the other provinces some what. Success breeds interest. Is that your point there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Holy sh*t, a conversation broke out!

“None of them were in the 2019 RWC squad”.

Just for accuracy, Conan was; it was his 2019 form that kept Jordi out of the RWC squad.

And that’s exactly what you would expect, with regards Doris and Connors. Nordi left in 2018-19. Doris had a solitary substitute appearance before that season. He ended it with 11 starts and 4 substitute appearances. He was clearly identified as one to be expedited. Doris was the first new player capped by Farrell following the RWC.

As I said, it didn’t necessarily work out for the individual involved (and examples like that may result in it being more difficult convincing others to leave) but I don’t think there’s any argument it didn't work out better for both Leinster and Ireland. (I’m not saying you were saying that, but were focusing on one side of things).

Post edited by aloooof on

A perfect case of you reading something on the internet and therefore thinking it must be true.

CJ had moved back home before the summer games, was therefore not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Will pressure come on sheehan or kelleher now to potentially move provinces..

After this weekend Leinster should have about 4 hookers on the books who have played international rugby.

Cronin may be coming to an end of his career but I doubt treacy will be moving any where in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cant see there being any real pressure to move. It didn’t hinder Cronin and strauss, Ross and Furlong, Furlong and Porter, multiple back rows. I’d imagine playing with the best players in the best set up is going to keep the best players there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,476 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CJs own words:

I will be available to represent Munster until 27 June 2021 when my contract expires, and for International duty, until the end of the mid-year Test window.

That window ended at the start of august, which meant he was available for lions selection, so stop digging as you are patently incorrect.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,476 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah its different for front row players as their game time tends to be shared a lot more evenly than say half back etc.

there is no issue with irelands 1-3 and 16-18 all being leinster players... apart from the obvious long term issue of lack of development elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The "something on the internet" being words written by Stander himself, for the record.

Is it too much of a leap for you to figure maybe he was told he wasn't going to be used and therefore could move back home?

Similarly, why did Gatland go into detail about why he didn't select him for the Lions squad if he was unavailable? Spite?

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, long term it will be very detrimental to the other 3 provinces as there is only so long they'll be able to function as teams making up the numbers while simultaneously attracting supporters and making money.

Im well are of what happened, not a quote from a press conference months before. If you didnt notice over the last 2 years things were pretty changeable.

But you go with what your read and it doesnt change the original fact that Conan was kept out of the squad by CJ.

• Advertisement

Yeah Conan was in the initial RWC squad, but Murphy wasn’t drafted in even after Conan was injured.

Things have definitely worked out in terms of the teams, but they haven’t for Jordi himself. And if the IRFU are looking for players to move about they need to be able to point to success stories there. I’m not sure there are (m)any.

Conway took about 6 years to turn his move into regular international caps. Carbery was already 2nd choice 10. He moved because of his position in the Irish squad, his position in the squad didn’t come about from the move. And, mainly down to injury, he hasn’t kicked on at all. In fact it could be argued that he’s gone backwards.

Beirne has had success, but that was with Scarlets really. His form there demanded he be brought back so he could play Test rugby. His move to Munster was a technicality that allowed for it, but the success was built elsewhere.

With so few cases of moves to other provinces leading to genuine success at national level, the IRFU are going to find it harder to sell moves to players now. We need to see more cases of players really benefiting at national level from moves. And maybe we will now with the change in the league scheduling.

Advertisement