Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You provided nothing .

Your post was ehhhh ehhhh they voluntary leave ,

Bullshit

Actually according to an article from 2009 we have the lowest refusal rate in Europe for asylum seekers at 15 % when the average across Europe was 65% .

How many are deported less than 1500 in 30 years were deported , when we were taking in 20,000+ asylum seekers per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have been here for the last two years. Before that, I lived abroad, although I returned a couple of times a year. What's the relevance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

He pretends to think they are all granted citizenship. He doesn't actually know what becomes of them, and he works hard to maintain that ignorance.

They stay , it's that simple

There is no evidence to prove they actually leave the state ,I believe that something like 10,000+ deportation orders were issued here little or none of those deportations ever happened ,over the last 30 years

Again you provided 0 .

Other than I think they voluntarily leave the country ........

Which equates to 0 again

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Friend manages build in D7 has got about 10 of these all nigerian name or he thinks Irish abuse SW but can we really afford nigeria

The person does not live there and like the others there is no apt no.

No evidence? What evidence would you accept exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

And you've provided zero evidence for your belief that they all stay and become citizens.

I have pointed you in the direction of evidence you could look it if you are interested in the actual reality here. But you're clearly not.

Actual evidence , actual figures ,proof ,

So far the only evidence has been they voluntary leave ,

Let's ask another relative simple question ,

What's the consequences of failed asylum seekers staying here ???

Perhaps you need to contact the Repatriation Division, INIS, department of justice, Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.

They might give you the figures you need.

I've already pointed you to three possible consequences - subsidiary protection, permission to remain, voluntary departure. How many do you want?

Now, I'm not going to engage with you further until you provide "actual evidence, actual figures, proof" for your claim that all unsuccessful asylum seekers who are not deported are granted citizenship. Don't bother replying to my post unless your reply contains that. You will be wasting your time.

Why don't you just say you " I don't know " rather than this white Knight effort ,

But no we get I provided evidence of they all just leave voluntarily ,no you have not ,

We've had 60,000 + through direct provision alone here the figures for deportation would be in the thousands , we've less than 1500 deportation over 30 years ,

We've over 10,000 deportation orders issued here and all we got to counter is they voluntarily left , who's looking for these people no one ,not the gardai or anyone else .

So yeah what consequences do they face ?

No consequences none whatsoever

You clearly have no idea how the system works and just want to believe that thousands of failed asylum seekers just disappear into the ether🙄

If you're actually interested, which I doubt, get in touch with the above department, who will explain the system to you.

He doesn't believe the disappear into the ether. He has already said that he believes they are all granted citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Its the lack of proof of address, wonder how many PUPs was paid out on that pps no. he has had 10 of these its not a big building but it must be rampant as a tax payer I have a right to be angry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How can one of the consequences for a failed asylum application be permission to remain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Your sense of Irishness must be inordinately low if a Somalian, who has lived here for a few years, ostensibly understands Irish culture and the way of life better than you. I lived abroad for over a decade myself and returned permanently ~6 years ago. Throughout that time, I was pretty plugged into Irish politics, sports, and significant cultural events. This wasn't achieved through any conscious effort. It was simply the product of maintaining existing relationships with family and friends, plus cursory consumption of Irish media. All the Irish people in my circle abroad, were similarly plugged in, to a greater or less degree.

Yet, you believe that a Somalian asylum seeker, with zero hitherto connection to this country, is more au fait with Irish life than you? This is despite the fact that said asylum seeker likely has a rudimentary grasp of the language, has few if any close relationships with Irish people, and is likely to be unemployed or engaged in low paid, precarious work...

Like I say, you're lack of connection to and sense of Irish identity, is clearly extraordinarily weak and is no way representative of a typical Irish emigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I have no problem stripping any naturally born citizen of their citizenship for engaging in criminal enterprises resulting in defrauding the state either as long as it doesn't leave them stateless (we do have international obligations in that regard)

I would also think that citizens should be granted probationary citizenship initially for a number of years, that can be revoked if found to be engaging in criminal activity.

I'd happily support such an amendment to the constitution.

You're right, in a way, but it's more that my attachment to BS generic metaphysical notions like 'Irish indentity' and 'Irishness' is extremely weak. Legal aspects and answer aside, What is Irish identity? (Answer: a BS metaphysical concept). Identity politics is for children, race baiters, race hustlers, patriots and other thicks with 'good' intentions.

I've had more in common with people from the arse end of Mexico and big cities in the U.S. than I have in common with many Irish people. Doesn't mean one place is better or worse. It means we are indivduals first and foremost.

At the end of the day we vote with our feet. If a Somalian has spent more days with his or her feet on the ground in Ireland than I have over the past 20+ years (and they will have), then I have zero trouble saying that they are more familiar with everyday life in Ireland than I am and likely they have a stronger attachment to Ireland too.

And I respect your right to hold that opinion. To reiterate though, it's almost certainly a highly anomalous viewpoint amongst both the Irish diaspora and native Irish people, who have never lived outside the country.

There's relatively few people anywhere who would claim to have more in common with folks from the arse end of country "X" vs. their native culture in which they were born, raised, and socialized. It's abundantly clear that you have or feel little connection to this country. You're a highly anomalous edge case; in this instance, the said Somalian may indeed feel a closer connection to this country. However, your mindset is no way representative of sentiment amongst the general population; it's highly specific to you.

I can't comment as I had v little to do with this magical metaphysical Irish diaspora (another generic category to describe a large and diverse group of people) that you are channeling here. Why travel around the world to hang out with a bunch of people from the place you left? That style of travel just seems a bit domesticated and half-arsed to me, but each to their own. 👍️

That's some consequence ah sure come on in your grand ,

Here's a application for citizenship and a passport

I know how the system clearly better than you and another on here,

You or they provided zero evidence of anything other than they voluntarily leave ,

Is it down to the simple fact you and others cannot back yourself up ,no evidence of anything you or they claimed ...

We know the low refusal rate ,(lowest in Europe),we know the numbers of people in and come through dp ,we know the numbers of new citizenships have massive increased over the last few years in particular,we know the numbers of deportations carried out here over the last 30 years (pitiful number) we know the cost of housing , medical,free legal aid , to taxpayers .

But nothing to show how many have apparently just up and left .

You're right, in a way, but it's more that my attachment to BS generic metaphysical notions like 'Irish indentity' and 'Irishness' is extremely weak. Legal aspects and answer aside, What is Irish identity? (Answer: a BS metaphysical concept). Identity politics is for children, race baiters, race hustlers, patriots and other thicks with 'good' intentions.

I wonder if you realise that by dismissing the importance of National or cultural identity (Irishness), you're actually advocating identity politics, since that's been one of the primary arguments for multiculturalism and mass immigration. The social sciences have sought to show that national identity (for western nations) or any degree of nationalism as being a negative, which is why, supposedly, the idea of embracing a society of many cultures is a good thing. Diversity is our strength.

It's all connected to identity politics, because as the identity of the native group comes under attack, the identity of "minority" groups becomes more important, to justify the favorable terms extended to them.

I'd agree with you that our national identity has become a vague thing, with little relevance to modern society, but I'd point to the influence of American social science theory during last 30 years, which has been embraced by governments. There has been a social movement in the west to decrease the significance of Irish (or other western cultures).

I've had more in common with people from the arse end of Mexico and big cities in the U.S. than I have in common with many Irish people. Doesn't mean one place is better or worse. It means we are indivduals first and foremost.

Completely agree with you. I had extremely little in common with the Irish culture I grew up in, and always felt I had more in common with those I met abroad. We are individuals... but there is still a macro in addition to the micro. Many people do conform to national cultures or stereotypes. This can be seen in many countries around the world, especially those with a long history where cultural conformity was strong. ie,. Asia being a prime example, where the national culture can be seen in most people you meet, although individually, they'll display differences... however, place them into a group, and their individuality is submerged by the group consciousness, and what is considered acceptable patterns of behavior.

At the end of the day we vote with our feet. If a Somalian has spent more days with his or her feet on the ground in Ireland than I have over the past 20+ years (and they will have), then I have zero trouble saying that they are more familiar with everyday life in Ireland than I am and likely they have a stronger attachment to Ireland too.

Maybe, but I highly doubt it because they (Somalians) didn't grow up here, and have their own conditioning from living elsewhere. There's no foundational understanding of Irish culture, by appreciating our history as an Irish person. Instead, their understanding is based on being a Somalian looking from the outside in, and judging/adapting based on that perception. I lived over a decade in China, and I will never understand their culture the same way as a Chinese person, regardless of how good my language ability is, or the degree of exposure I have to that culture. My perception will always be influenced by my 3 decades plus of growing and living in Ireland first.

A Somalian living in Ireland will likely have a superficial understanding that is superior to mine, since they've been here longer over the last decade, but will they understand the underlying conditions? It's highly unlikely. Whereas someone from the UK, because of a similar culture, would likely be able to, although even there, there will be gaps in understanding.

There's nothing 'magical' or 'metaphysical' about it. It's a group of people, with a shared history and cultural background, coming together to connect, to socialize, or in some case to express some aspect of their shared cultural identity. The expression of that identity could be something as 'low brow' as playing GAA, like I did in Germany. On the other hand, it could be something cerebral like creating art, that depicts their Irish childhood. This is a project that a school friend of mine, who lives in San Francisco, is driving.

I'm not 'channeling' anything. I'm simply relating the experiences of Irish emigrants known to me in places as diverse as North America and Dubai. You see it as 'domesticated' and 'half-arsed', whatever that means. That's your prerogative. I'm simply pointing out that your viewpoint is very likely a minority one and is borderline anomalous.

As such, I don't feel that you are best placed to critique the attachment that Irish people feel to this country or to suggest that a recent Somalian immigrant has closer bonds to this country.

• Advertisement

I know a lot of Irish people who ended up in places where there were few or no other Irish people when they went there. The idea that everyone goes to America, Australia or Britain, and ends up hanging out with other Irish people is flawed. I've encountered them in Asia, Russia, Africa, and they're not pining away looking for other Irish people to join them... because they left to get away from the very "Irishness" that you dismissed existing earlier.

Although, the funny thing about living extensively abroad, is that invariably they become "more" distinctively "Irish" as a result. More appreciative of Ireland both as a nation, and the associated culture. TBH the only people I tend to meet who are overly critical of Ireland are those who stayed in Ireland, or those who are newly established abroad.

Advertisement