Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R116 Accident AAIU report discussions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Would that be considered a long time?

And my take away from prime time is chc didn't have correct charts, and staff did complain about it not being up to date and chc didn't seem to be updating them in a timely manner.

And also the IAA weren't checking if chc were doing their job correctly.

In other words, ah sure it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes it is a long time when you consider that the recommendations of the final report may contribute to preventing further accidents.

It wasn't a case of the crew having incorrect charts. I think the suggestion tonight was that the root of the problem was the OSI chart, published by the state, was inadequate. Since all other navigation databases are ultimately using the official charts as reference, then none of the systems which could have drawn the crews attention to the obstacle did.

Seems to have been a systemic failure of the SMS at CHC in that safety reports were not being resolved in a timely manner, if at all. The IAA was not conducting proper oversight to enforce CHCs own procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It seems extraordinary that an entire island was not noted as a potential obstacle on a pre-planned approach that the pilots were required to take to a refuelling point. From the perspective of someone with no knowledge of the industry it seems incredible. At some point someone planned these approaches, knew the pilots would be flying at very low altitude and yet somehow missed the large obstacle that would be in their way?

They had reference documents for each approach and it was listed as an obstacle on the Blacksod approach briefing document. According to Prime Time it was mentioned 4 times in that particular document but there was a perception among the pilots that these reference documents were unreliable and often had misinformation on them. The impression I got was that they were not used much by the crews.

Strikes me reading the rte article this morning that trying to make this all about the person who took the call seems like a bit of a stretch to avoid the very difficult questions discussed in these threads this past few years.

Wouldnt like to be the poor nameless official they are now saying should never have made the call, i wonder had they gotten legal representation and a seat at the table throughout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Very unusal report leaving the blame on the State. What will be the ramifications be? Should the State now be responible for docuentating and mapping wind turbines, masts, tall ESB pylons, tower cranes, tall buildings and have the recorded in official OSI mapping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

The aircraft should not have been tasked: The injury was not life threatening, Heli not appropriate for 'top cover'. That (the first part in any case) is somewhat a moot points, as the operation should be safe regardless of the mission.

The OSI mapping was inadequate. "Rubbish in, rubbish out" follows.

The route the crew used was one of 3 published let downs to the refuelling stop. It must have been flown hundreds of times before. How could a navigation waypoint on the published route be so poorly mapped, and not have raised serious flags, and not have been corrected within a week of publication?

The Prime Time episode said that it had been reported 4 years before the accident - so CHC knew about the issue, yet didn't correct it. That is appalling. Did the IAA know about the safety report? If not, why not?

The report will be a tough read. It has been an incredibly long time coming. Thoughts are with the families of the crew members, hopefully they can get some closure, and be left in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here it is.

Executive Summary.

Full report.

3.2 Probable Cause

The Helicopter was manoeuvring at 200 ft, 9 NM from the intended landing point, at night, in poor weather, while the Crew was unaware that a 282 ft obstacle was on the flight path to the initial route waypoint of one of the Operator’s pre-programmed FMS routes.

3.3 Contributory Cause(s)

1. The initial route waypoint, towards which the Helicopter was navigating, was almost coincident with the terrain at Black Rock.

2. The activities of the Operator for the adoption, design and review of its Routes in the FMS Route Guide were capable of improvement in the interests of air safety.

3. The extensive activity undertaken by the Operator in respect of the testing of routes in the FMS Route Guide was not formalised, standardised, controlled or periodic.

4. The Training provided to flight crews on the use of the routes in the (paper) FMS Route Guide, in particular their interface with the electronic flight management systems on multifunction displays in the cockpit, was not formal, standardised and was insufficient to address inherent problems with the FMS Route Guide and the risk of automation bias.

5. The FMS Route Guide did not generally specify minimum altitudes for route legs.

6. The Flight crew probably believed, as they flew to join it, that the APBSS (waypoint BLKMO to BLKSD as described in legs 1 to 4 of narrative and on the map in FMS Route Guide in respect of APBSS) route by design provided adequate terrain separation from obstacles.

7. Neither Flight Crew member had operated recently into Blacksod.

8. EGPWS databases did not indicate the presence of Black Rock, and neither did some Toughbook and Euronav imagery. 9. It was not possible for the Flight Crew to accurately assess horizontal visibility at night, under cloud, at 200 ft,

9 NM from shore, over the Atlantic Ocean.

10. The Flight Crew members’ likely hours of wakefulness at the time of the accident were correlated with increased error rates and judgment lapses.

11. There were serious and important weaknesses with aspects of the Operator’s SMS including in relation to safety reporting, safety meetings, its safety database SQID and the management of FMS Route Guide such that certain risks that could have been mitigated were not.

12. There was confusion at the State level regarding responsibility for oversight of SAR operations in Ireland. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Caquas

Our official maps do not show this lighthouse? That’s a major issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

I've only read the ES so far but the operator do not come out well from this. The reference to fatigue alone is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

They already are, via OSI. The VFR navigation charts have some strict requirements and publishing timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

"R118 advised MRSC Malin that strobes had been sighted in the water. The Crew of R118 informed the Investigation that shortly thereafter they identified a life raft in the water and that a casualty was floating in the water nearby. The winchman was deployed to recover the casualty. ... The helicopter was re-positioned several times but each time the winchman got close to the casualty, wave action separated them. Achill lifeboat arrived on scene at this time. R118 directed it to the casualty’s location, recovered the winchman and withdrew a short distance so that the lifeboat could attempt to recover the casualty."

Jesus, that must have been heart-breaking for the crew of R118 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What does point 10 referenced above mean? They don't actually refer to any specific errors or judgement lapses as the probable cause or even a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"To understand why Black Rock had not been included in the EGPWS databases at the time of the accident, the Investigation asked the EGPWS manufacturer about its processes for obtaining topographic data. The EGPWS manufacturer informed the Investigation that data was originally sourced from multiple Russian Military Topographic maps which were processed by its supplier and delivered to the EGPWS manufacturer in Digital Elevation Model (DEM) format covering Ireland."

Looks like the EGPWS terrain data came from Russian sources, OSi here only supplied digital versions of paper maps.

The data could just have easily come from NASA via their SRTM datasets which are in common use.

Post edited by Furze99 on

Looks like the EGPWS terrain data came from Russian sources, OSi here only supplied digital versions of paper maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

Maybe the OSI should be supplying digital terrain data for all offshore obstacles within Irish territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭breadmond

Seems slightly mental that the most reliable source of topographic information in Ireland is the Russian military

Overall the report speaks to some very serious operational shortcomings. Ireland's underfunded and slightly haphazard SAR systems are also a factor here. Almost anywhere else this heli would not have been tasked with providing top cover, this role is far better suited to fixed wing aircraft but our aer corps is tiny and forbidden from engaging in SAR so this didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They could well have used SRTM data also, but the distance between grid points (90m) for the data available for Europe is insufficient to accurately represent small "pointy" objects like Black Rock. I have some experience of using SRTM data in digital mapping applications for hillwalking / mountaineering applications and while it's OK for smoother terrain, it falls short when things get steeper and sharper and as a result of this people in the mountaineering community, specifically the SMC (Scottish Mountaineering Council), produced a corrected version, filling in voids, correcting obvious errors (usually caused by steep cliffs producing unwanted reflections of the radar signal).

I don't know what the grid spacing of this Russian military data is, but the issue is that with small objects like this, you have no idea of where in the grid pattern the peak will fall, if it's slap bang in the middle of four data points the elevation calculated by interpolating between those four points in the DEM will possibly be much lower. As an experiment, I popped the coordinates of Black Rock into one of my mapping programs using an SRTM derived DEM as a waypoint (Black Rock, although it appears on the paper map of the area in an inset, doesn't appear on any of the OSi digital map tiles I have) and hovering over the waypoint I get an elevation of 13m, much lower than what it is in reality.

They certainly can supply quite accurate digital terrain data and have been surveying the whole country in recent years using LIDAR from small planes, How far out into the surrounding sea this data goes though, I have no idea. There is also some more recent DEM data available from a European satellite mission, but again i don't really know any details.

I would imagine that from the EGPWS manufacturer's POV, they don't want to be dealing with multiple national agencies supplying DTM data and then merging these datasets and ensuring no gaps etc. Much simpler to acquire one large world dataset from the big boys like NASA, Russians and likely China have same sort of data. Would cost have also been a factor?

• Advertisement

It does seem strange to have point number 10 in there. It's almost as if they forgot to remove it.

That's what it looks like to me - that there was another point or paragraph that discussed the crews role and that was removed, but the edit wasn't followed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The Helicopter was manoeuvring at 200 ft, 9 NM from the intended landing point, at night, in poor weather, while the Crew was unaware that a 282 ft obstacle was on the flight path to the initial route waypoint of one of the Operator’s pre-programmed FMS routes

Can some explain why they were at 200ft 9 Nautical Miles from their landing point ?

Is that one of the SOPs for let down into Blacksod ?

Also an instructor once said to me when he heard someone on the radio state "they were manoeuvring", "What the f does that mean?"

I am not allowed discuss …

Wasn't it the case that the route they had programmed in was one that was actually originally intended for the refuelling run to and from Blacksod?

The report has a section about what each crew member had been doing in the days leading up to the accident. They seem to have been on duty since 13:00 on the 13th and most had gone home sometime after 9pm before getting the call to return to duty for the accident flight. Considering they had all been awake since early morning that day (Commander arose at 6.15 am), point 10 is entirely valid. By the time the mission took off the Commander had been awake for just shy of 17 hours.

Now I am only about 10% of the way through reading the report so I don't know if more is made of this point further in, but the facts are represented and the observation in point 10 is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

Seems a no brainer to me. If they can supply it, why wouldn't they (going forward)? Or if they won't then some other state agency should. Doesn't seem reasonable to be relying on other countries doing it.

Just found this on page 320 with regard to the point about fatigue raised above:

Based on the information in the 72-hour activity study, the Commander was likely to have been awake for more than 15 hours at time of tasking, more than 16 hours at time of lift-off and more than 18 hours at the time of the accident. The Co-pilot was likely to have been awake for more than 14 hours at time of tasking, more than 15 hours at time of lift-off and more than 17 hours at the time of the accident. Research indicates that the likely hours of wakefulness for the accident Flight Crew, during the accident flight, meant that they were more prone to making errors, and indeed there is evidence of trapped and un-trapped errors on the CVR. Furthermore, OMF stated that there was a potential for fatigue to set in quicker for the crew of a support SAR helicopter rather than on a SAR helicopter, due to the somewhat monotonous nature of a SAR support mission.

Yes but Black Rock is rather larger than 90 metres in width!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock_Island,_County_Mayo

It's not a small pointy object but a substantial feature - could be 400 metres by 300 metres and higher than Liberty Hall. With a lighthouse perched on top.

Point 10 can be both valid and irrelevant though. Unless there was a specific error that the crew made because they were tired, then it's not really relevant. I haven't read the full report, so maybe there was such an error, but it seems unusual not to mention it specifically as a contributing factor.

If the crew were well rested, would the accident have have happened? Of course one couldn't say for certain but since the route was set using faulty information and they didn't have the obstacle on it, and visibility was low - I would see it as likely the accident would've happened anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think what they are trying to do is report that there were errors and lapses of judgement which led to the only probable cause of the accident which was:-

“The Helicopter was manoeuvring at 200 ft, 9 NM from the intended landing point, at night, in poor weather, while the Crew was unaware that a 282 ft obstacle was on the flight path to the initial route waypoint of one of the Operator’s pre-programmed FMS routes.”

The report goes on to list a number of contributory factors but these are not ranked in any order of importance.

What the report is really saying that there is no way that the helicopter should have been flying at that altitude and in those conditions while still over 16km from their intended landing point. I think that the report is also saying in point number 10 that, irrespective of other considerations, the flight crew made errors which caused them to be do what they did. I assume that the investigating team, in an effort not to apportion blame to any individual, has not specified precisely what errors or lapses of judgement were made by the flight crew while at the same time being obliged to report that errors were made.

This report does not really explain why the accident happened.

Advertisement