Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭reni10

No the M9 and the southeast of Ireland are very badly serviced by any sort of decent EV charging infrastructure!

You need to go about 120km away from Waterford to get to Kilcullen where there is 1 X 150kwh charger which is usually in use!

There should be 150kwh or superchargers in Paulstown in Kilkenny just off the M9 or the Carlow M9 services so that they are about half way between Kilcullen and Waterford but I doubt ESB will ever do that, maybe Tesla might but I will not be holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

By giving a sh1te. ESB have the competency but don't appear to have the drive. Only yesterday it got mentioned Ionity got the ball rolling on J14 Mayfield. So the single site masquerading as a Tier 1 hub only exists because Ionity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just wondering but why do you doubt ESB will do this?

I do all my driving in a dirty diesel from dublin to great island and around that area so a 150KW charger at Paul’s town would be ideal.

If we are all supposed to be going electrified surely ESB will have to do this.

Maybe if a lot of apoplexy email ecars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

The network is about 4 years behind on the ground demand, and there is no sign of any large rollout so things are going to get worse before they get better. Loads of EVs sold in last 12 months and loads of new Taxi EVs in Dublin area, but hardly any new chargers in the last year. They could double up on every 50kW charger tomorrow and still not meet the right now demand. Northern Ireland is a disaster with only one 50kW charger working in Belfast, that only gives out 30kW max, that's closed to public at night times, that's used by nearby Tesla dealership for their demo cars and often has 2 cars queuing for hours. Some 50kW+ chargers in NI have been broken for over a year!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As a complete guess I'd say it costs around €750,000 to provide an 8 car charging hub, that includes the cost of charging equipment to support 8 cars up to 150kW and the associated works required for the electrical equipment and supply (1.2MW). The math for eCars return on investment and Tesla's is very different. eCars will need a certain level of usage for the site to make sense, Tesla just need the site to be available to help remove any perceived impediment to selling cars.

It's much cheaper to install a couple of chargers at an existing service station where the local grid supply already has capacity, this has the added benefit of increasing the geographic diversity of the charging network.

It's been shown in other markets that the best way to subsidise a network rollout is to centrally plan, but then tender out the build and operate, we've gone with the worst option which is let a commercial operator do whatever they like at a speed they are comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Yes. For technical matters and reactive repair work. Being motivated and proactive that's a different story altogether!

Yes they do. I mean you do enjoy all the electricity you use don’t ya ;-)

I’ve emailed e-cars to see if they have any plans to install 150kw chargers somewhere along the m9. Preferably Paulstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

To be honest, going by the experience I had changing to a night meter, I'm amazed that the electricity reaches my house at all 😅

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My stats show Mayfield CCS being in use about 20 hours a day. They're HPC so the average kWh consumed per hour should be relatively high. 60kWh being cautious?

438mWh at 37c is €160k a year at their current usage. CHAdeMO, obviously lower kWh per hour, is in use 5 hours a day, so about €20k a year. If they fixed the 2nd plug crapping out when the other plug is in use they could be far north of €200k per year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A quick check in at the Tier 1.5….

I wonder will it ever run properly? Isn’t there an EV meet-up or something there soon….

I’d love to see every plug there being used…

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

The 50kw in Ballinalack wouldn't start a charge this morning

I had over 50% so no real value for me in using the rapid but had to hop onto it as I needed to get to 80% for the rest of my trip

Luckily no one else needed a charge while I was there

There should be a law that every new Garage going forward should have as much EV chargers as petrol and diesel pumps and if that means halving the amount of fuel pumps then so be it.

Existing garages should be made install at least 2 DC chargers with grants available to assist in their installation.

This is just not going to work unless People can have access to charging like they do liquid fuels.

What would be good is if they start replacing Petrol pumps with DC chargers in Petrol stations, say replace 2 pumps with DC points.

Interestingly I tried another of the new 50kw units today and it also failed to start a charge

Might be my car, peugeot e208 but I have no issue with the old 50kw units or the 150kw or 44kw

Anyone else had problems?

Where? Lots of sites have known problems. See plugshare app for real status, not esbs app which mostly says all ok for 2 or 3 days until they first visit to try fix issue. Did you ring the helpline? Sometimes you have account issues, like credit card expired, but also phone signal issues on your phone or the chargers phone sim car signal. I once added a new credit card, but apparently the auto top up does not work when you do that, so you need to top up once and then it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Myself and at least one other person have had issues charging at the 50kw in Enniscorthy the last two days.

The unit spins up but fails to connect after about 60 seconds.

I tried my We Connect card, ECars Card and ECars App and none worked.

I logged an issue through the app.

Is there a higher rated charger than a 150kw charger on the esb system?

For that matter do Tesla and ionity have higher rated chargers than 150kw in Ireland?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yes, yes, and yes.

Mayfield units are 350kW units. The thicker of the 2 cables can provide up to 350kW, the thinner cable up to 200kW.

Ionity are 350kW rated, but I think some might be software limited to 175kW.

Tesla v3 hubs are 350kW rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Just back from Belfast. Holy **** the rapid charger situation is in a dire station. Sprucefield out of service. Boucher road between people abandoning cars on the points to Teslas waiting to charge its an absolute disaster.

• Advertisement

But beware actual speeds depend on car and battery temperature. Maximum speed is only for a short part of charging time. Also say Tesla model 3 short range versus long range have a different curve

For maximum speed you need an 800 volt charger and an 800 volt car such as porche Taycan.

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360012178313-Charging-with-a-Tesla-Model-3

First one was Ballinalack and it wasn't an account issue, I was using an ecars rfid card and it worked just fine on the rapid charger beside it

The next one was in Mullingar the next day, Blackhall car park, again charge wouldn't start but everything worked fine at the rapid about a kilometre away

Plugshare doesn't indicate an issue with Mullingar but Ballinalack might be iffy

Sounds exactly like what happened me on 2 different new 50kw units over the weekend, both reported also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Why do eCars units have a red stop button - is this a legal requirement? If it is how come Tesla superchargers don't have it?

I've heard some recent stories of people pressing the button to deliberately stop someone's charge and plugging in themselves.

Does this do any damage to the car or charger?

I guess one benefit of Telsa superchargers is that there is no stop button so it can't happen.

I assume it's down to different interpretations of the guidlines, maybe it's just SOP for ESB to put E-Stops on everything

It shouldn't do any damage to either the car or charger, the design on an emergency stop system takes account of this and should make both pieces of equipment safe in the shortest time possible. Damaging either would go against this and lead to more hazards

It'd be pretty poor behaviour to stop someones charigng session midway. If the car is plugged in and not charging then I could understand this, but the connector should be unlocked anyway in that case. Probably someone couldn't figure out how to start a session on one of the J14 units and hit the E-Stop without realising the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Bjorn Nyland had problem with the e-208 on some chargers. The fix was to keep lifting the charge cable until the charging had started. It helped with the top part of the CCS to connect with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Anyone have any recent information on J12 M18 (Supermacs)?

I know it's been an ongoing saga locally and the planning decision was granted in December 2020 and appealed in February 21 but it's all gone quiet since.

If you look at the updated plans they proposed to have 16 electric car charging points, so looks like it would fit into the eCars description of a T1 hub.

On Plugshare you can see 2 photos of the site layout.

Post edited by cannco253 on

Thanks I will try that next time if I have an issue, maybe the newer 50kw units are more sensitive because I have had no issue on any other type of charger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I don't think CCS plugs are automatically unlocked when the charge is finished but the car remains locked, definitely not for Tesla anyway. That may be a Chademo feature.

I highly doubt anyone hits the emergency stop button without knowing full well what it does. They're being ignorant, possibly because they're in a rush or they're in a bad mood or they (possibly incorrectly) think the other car is finished charging.

• Advertisement

I think that's only for HPCs, the cable is heavier and pulls the plug down and can break the contacts for the communication pins in the Type2 part of the plug

I would have thought the 50kW with thinner cable should be fine

Advertisement