Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

Random Thought: I miss the range in excess of 1200km on a 59 litre tank of the diesel car I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I think they should bring in a plug in hybrid range of tools, you know the best of both and it will keep no one happy

😁😁😁

I'd prefer a 220v output in the car and then move the car further down the driveway to power the pure electric(sans batterie) garden equipment.

Morketing departments for Rivian, Lordstown Motor, Ford 150 monstrosities see that as the means by which they can incentivise sales and not by appealing to the little eco green voice in Americans heads which obviously doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

I used to have a phone that would last a week.

My present one is much better, but has to be plugged in when I sleep..😉

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Oh leaf blower too! Great for cleaning out combines/balers.

Yep more expensive, batteries are as much as the tool themselves.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with temperamental 2 stroke engines anymore. And the noise of them.

I'm not for banning them or anything silly like that. I'm saying they are easier, more powerful and handier to use than the petrol equivalent.

• Advertisement

electric and petrol horticultural machinery lasts decades. Battery powered machines have a limited life span due to the batteries being uneconomical to replace. If the E.U. dictated standardized batteries like they do with standardized charging cables one of my bigger objections to them would be addressed but the big issue of specific power density remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is probably true but it’s hard to know so I was pessimistic in the calculations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Personally I don't get the obsession with battery powered garden tools. Corded ones are often more powerful and can be cheaper than even the petrol versions

For example I got a Bosch electric lawnmower and extension cord for cheaper than a petrol mower. It's small and light enough to fit on the shelves in my shed, and powerful enough to cut through the hay when I forgot to mow the lawn for 6 weeks. Much better than any petrol mower I've ever had, and I don't need to faff about remembering to get a can of fuel from the petrol station

Battery powered tools are nice, but they're not always needed for most applications. Plus as @[Deleted User] mentioned, it'll be ideal when EVs have V2L as standard, then you can use your car as a mobile power station for your outdoor tools if needed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have I strayed into the Gardening forum?

Anyway, back to random EV thoughts, just remember that with the clocks changing last night, the night rate period is now 11pm --> 8am, in case anyone might have timers set.

• Advertisement

Also if you have a Zappi then make sure to update the firmware as they recently fixed a bug with the hour changing on the wrong date

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They introduced at least two bugs with that update so I’d hold off on that.

I presume the original DST issue is moot now anyway until the clocks change again in March since the bug was just that it put the clock back a week early but since the clocks have now gone back it’s in sync again.

I'm regretting updating now, probably should have read the MyEnergi forum first

Haven't had any issues since the update thankfully, and yes the hour change was a week early, so it's correct now even on the older version

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

They messed up the clock before on an older update, I always say to zappi owners re firmware updates, if it ain't broken...

Zappi hope on a future update, if a car allows, and their hardware allows they might allow vehicle to grid charging, but no AC car port officially supports it. It's a pity the latest Hyundai did not add that feature. Much better than buying a home battery for solar, just use your cars battery, assuming you are home daytime.

Yeah my worry is that when car manufacturers start providing AC out on the charging port they do so in a proprietary manner

For example Ford will be releasing a special home charger for the F150 lightning that can do V2H, but what's the bet that only Ford chargers will ever work with this and they'll keep the protocol under wraps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I think we should consider calling the 50kW slow DC chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If I was installing chargers I'd go the following

22kw at areas where people are likely to stay 4+ hours.

50kw in car parks in local towns. Ideally in supermarkets or short stay car parks where people tend to stay no longer than 1-2 hours.

150KW on all regional routes. Ideally on an easily accessible service stations.

That way you match the charger to the usage pattern of the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

10-15 years time I'd be thinking electric cars will be charged similar to filling fuel, plug in, insert debit card,whoosh, 10,20,30% charge, in a few minutes,

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Are heatpumps worth an extra €1200 on the cost of the vehicle?

Hoping to order a VW or Skoda model for next year...

Generally no, I think the testing showed it gave maybe a 10% bump in range in winter

It'd be cheaper to spend an extra 5 mins at a fast charger

I think VW was actually forced to give a bunch of customers a refund because the heat pump didn't live up to the advertising

Article is in German, for some reason google translate isn't working for me today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

First frozen over morning of the season, pre heating via app, crystal clear vision all around, warm cabin, defrosted wipers and wing mirrors and toasty steering wheel. Ah, the unsung comfies of the EV

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

I effing love the preheating.

I'm enjoying the heated seats and steering wheel these mornings. Don't think I'll be able to live without them in future

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listened and laughed yesterday to radio reports on how the government aims to have 1 million ev cars on the roads by 2030.

Why isn't nonsense like this called out, and government ministers made to explain how this is going to happen.

This would basically mean that every car sold from now to 2030 in Ireland would have to be an ev. And we know that in 5 or more years, people here will still be buying diesels.

I'd say 200,000 EVs would be a very ambitious target for 2030, let alone 1 million.

But sure it makes us sound great at COP26.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What would it take to follow Norway's lead on EV sales?

It has to make more financial sense to go electric than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Ironically, Norway pays for their EVs with the money they make from oil and gas that they sell to us.

But I was just about to ask the same question about the 1 million EVs.

With around 7,000 EVs sold in Ireland in 2021. And Micheal Martin wanting 100,000 sold in 2022. 

Are we expecting more in the way of grants anytime soon? I expect something is in the pipeline for the carbon budget

Speaking of calling out nonsense. Sinn Fein said they would bring in a grant for second-hand EVs because the grant on new EVs only helps "the rich". Where are the second-hand EVs going to come from in the first place? There are only 191 EVs on Carzone that cost less than 20 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

In order to reach the 1 million target they would need to sort out public 50kW+ charging in every town nationwide. In every car parking space and home they need a slow 7kW charger. There is no plan to do this. Without this grants for cars will not drive a sea change approach. Imagine if every new build house sold must have an EV charger (they are doing this in uk), imagine if every apartment parking space needed to have an EV charge point by end of 2022, imagine if every workplace parking space needed a charger by end of 2022, imaging if every pay parking spot needed to have a charger by end if 2022, imagine if UK imports of used EVs were exempt from vat and vrt, imagine if all new car sales of non EVs had an extra 25% tax from 2023, that would drive the change in real terms, but politicians will be politicians and more blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The second hand EVs don't just randomly drop from the sky. So every 212 Ioniq 5 delivered will be with their 2nd or 4th owner come 2029. And hopefully the original owner being impressed with it then drives their 2nd or 3rd subsequent new BEV they since bought.

Norway financed their EV expansion by removing all the taxes including VAT from BEVs while keeping or even increased the punitive taxes on ICE vehicles. They also didn't have a semi state company rolling out an EV charging network but the competition and demand from drivers took care of the charging networks. Maybe their planning laws made building them easier?

If Ireland temporarily removed VAT and VRT from BEVs while introducing an up to 100% VRT for ICE vehicles we could become Norway within 12 months I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They need to allow folks to import used EV's from the U.K. again, without being punished with duties and taxes... Make it affordable.

Waive Import Duty & VRT for BEV imports from the U.K., with perhaps additional scrappage benefits if replacing an ICE car with a BEV.

Theres not a whole lot of market here for buying new cars, but cars that are 2-3 years old are what people want and can afford... The used BEV market here is almost non existent.. whereas about a 2-3 hour ferry trip across the water..... (there's 3,337 used BEV's for sale on Autotrader)

a Zoe can be got for around £8,000. Leaf's from about £7000. i3 from about £14,000 (all minimum 2015), around £18k for a 3-4 year old 28kWh Ioniq....

Model 3's starting at £37,000 (~€43,500)

Hers's a Model S for €32,000

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109016854542?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&year-to=2021&postcode=ll652at&year-from=2010&radius=1500&include-delivery-option=on&sort=price-asc&make=Tesla&fuel-type=Electric&page=1

Make it easier to get these cars into Ireland, waive tax and duties if it means an ICE car gets scrapped.

Advertisement