Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Probate can really drag on. Bank will reassess you when you go to drawdown so the change in circumstance will come into play - Can you still afford mortgage (in banks eyes, not yours) while on Maternity?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Is it not normal for things to get a bit quiet at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ChampagneFever

Thanks for the reply. Yes we should comfortably be able. I guess that answers my question.

I drew down on maternity leave but was very fortunate that I was getting my full salary and the maternity benefit wasn’t on my payslip so it didn’t impact their calculations. If we’d been delayed I knew I might have to go back without taking unpaid leave so that I could show a normal payslip.

If you could get the mortgage on your income alone then you should be ok. E.g. it’s less then 3.5 times your own income. Otherwise they might want to wait until your wife is back at work before they let you draw down. I think the policies vary by bank. Bear in mind, banks include your children in their calculations of how much money you need left over each month. I believe it’s an additional €250 per child. They will also take account of your childcare costs if you have any when your wife goes back to work.

It’s worth talking to your loan officer/broker. They want to get you the money - perhaps unlike the underwriters - and should be able to give some clarity on their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

We went sale agreed on our old house last week. The buyers are a working couple, who are not in a chain and have the funds and AIP to proceed. They are saying the close could take 8 to 12 weeks, which really surprised me. We achieved a sale agreed to closed on our house in 5 weeks during the summer - is anyone experiencing 3 month delays?

• Advertisement

Might depend on the bank, but in my recent experience with PTSB, the 3 month timescale would be realistic. It was appallingly slow….documents sitting in the bank for a couple weeks and then when very simple questions were posed and answered, it back to the back of the queue for another couple weeks. It was 2 weeks even for final drawdown checks when everything was in order

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

An issue causing huge issues for any solicitor practice involved in litigation is being completely overwhelmed and overstretched as the courts try and deal with the backlog of cases. This would have knock-on effects for conveyancing timeframes. Also as the circuit and high courts take vacation for the Summer, it eases the burden somewhat.

The normal time from sale agreed to closing is 8-10 weeks so they aren’t too far away from that. Good luck with everything. You must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Thanks. You were right. Hounded the bank all week. Finally got the right person who got it escalated and the money was in the solicitors account within hours. So should be closing tomorrow afternoon. Yippee!

Took us 14 weeks. We were selling a house but that didn't impact the timetable. It was more so the house we were selling. Probably would have been a little quicker if not for an incorrect address on valuation. Solicitor has said that banks and themselves are swamped with work atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I went sale agreed 9 weeks ago.

I’m not delaying it and the sellers isn’t either but still no sign of when ill be in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

It hasn't even been lodged?

A friend bought a probate house, documents lodged in January. Probate didn't clear until September.

Every application takes 8-12 weeks after lodgement but if theres any queries at all it goes back to the end of the line and it's another 8-12 weeks. Queries can be as simple as a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

We're now confident enough in our purchase going through to serve notice to end our lease. I'm just wondering, does anyone know what notice is required for us? We are still under a 1-year fixed contract which was due to end in December. I was under the impression that you generally needed to give 1 month's notice to end even a fixed term contract, but we didn't quite get in early enough to do this. Now that we haven't, does a part 4 tenancy kick in for the last month and now we need to give 42 days notice instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ChampagneFever

Just heard from solicitor again this morning. There was a mix up from vendor's solicitor and the probate has actually been granted so we are good to close next week. Rollercoaster of a couple of days but end is in sight now!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

That's a great surprise to get on a Friday morning! Congratulations.

Great news! Will you be in for Xmas?

If you’re in your current place more than 6 months and less than a year, you need to give 35 days notice. If you wait until it’s been a year, that increases to 42 days. I think it’s determined by length of time there when you give the notice not when you actually leave but I’ve always found that bit confusing. However you might have different terms in your lease. You could also offer to assign the lease, and if the landlord refuses that they have to let you leave anyway. Landlords are not having any trouble letting things at the moment so I don’t imagine you’ll get too much push back either way.

Threshold have an online chat function and they are good with answering these types of questions quickly. They’ll even take a look at your lease for you to see how that affects things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yep, should be in with enough time to set up decorations and the tree and everything. The sellers have kids so I imagine they were pretty keen to get it all done in time for that too.

I know normally there are special terms like the 35 or 42 days that have to be given, but I thought that for fixed leases the rules might be different. I've sent notice to the LL anyway, and we've generally had a good relationship so hopefully we can work something out. I'm sure on their end it would be a lot easier to fill an apartment in early December instead of on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Has anybody else experienced delays in HomeBond or BER certs in the Kildare/Meath region? Just wondering because the house has been dragging for months and now it’s finally ready to close they seem to need another 2 or 3 weeks for those??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

Just started this "journey" of buying one house whilst selling our own. The house we're buying is in Donegal whilst we are selling ours here in Dublin. Does anyone know a decent surveyor based in the Letterkenny to Dungloe area? We were recommended one but apparently the company no longer does them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Have to pay my deposit to the solicitors. Paying about 25% up front.

My deposit in currently in my current a/c. ( ptsb )

I can only transfer 5k a day online which is no good. Tried calling had to give up after an hour to go back to work.

Has anyone else with PTSB done this. Can i just call into a branch and get them to transfer it.

Yeah you just go into your bank. Bring ID. If your solicitor is the same bank as you it will go in same day once you go in before 3pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

We've run into this difficulty with the EBS. We can only transfer €5,000 a day online and the booking deposit for our new house was €10,000. I went into the EBS and they said they do not do external transfers. They could give us a cheque/draft but would not transfer the money electronically for us. We've ended up doing it online over 2 days after explaining to the estate agent.

On a different note. Our own house has just gone up, online, for sale and we had someone call to the house today offering well over the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭dennyk

Has anyone who's purchased an apartment run into this situation before? About to close on buying the apartment I'm renting from the landlord and finalised all the necessary bits for the mortgage drawdown, and then at the last second the bank has suddenly decided that the block insurance policy schedule, which I provided to them months ago and they were previously happy with, is now "unacceptable" because it doesn't explicitly list my unit number on it (which of course is true, as it's a block policy and covers the entire development, which is clearly named and specified on the policy documents...), and so they are now demanding documentation that the insurance covers my unit specifically. I have my solicitor checking with the seller's solicitor to see what we can get, but the management company has historically been very slow and unresponsive to queries (which is part of why this has been dragging on for months), so there's no telling. Is what the bank is asking for normal and reasonable, or has my application just ended up in the hands of some clueless rep who doesn't understand the concept of a block policy? Is it worth trying to escalate this at the bank, or am I going to need to hope my solicitor can convince the seller's solicitor to get the management company to contact their insurance provider to get this documentation and somehow have that done before my mortgage offer expires in a couple months?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭busylady

It would be a standard requirement by the bank when purchasing an apartment and a letter noting your interest in the block insurance policy would be furnished. It would set out the property address , your name and the bank's name and would be furnished by the Management Company to the Vendor's solicitor. This would usually be issued within a week to 10 days after it is requested.So your own solicitor should recieve it soon enough. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Frank3.5

We're selling in Dublin 16 and enquiries have been slow. Estate Agent said the market has slowed a bit in the last week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

We are due to close on the sale of our house and the purchase of our new house on the same day (this Thursday) I know things can happen to delay things at the last minute so I know that day isn't set in stone. My question is, if there is a delay, when will it be apparent that we are not closing on the appointed day? Will it be a case that we won't know til the day itself or is it likely that my solicitor will know in advance that it's not going to close on the day planned?

Sorry, that question may not even make sense! But it's just that I have very limited annual leave left to take and I don't want to take the day off and then find out we're not closing after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

ANyone I know who has been selling or or looking have basically put themselves ob hild til after Christmas. Noone want to be having viewings coming up to Christmas so i think less new supply will be available then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Frank3.5

Thanks. May take the property off the market till after Christmas so.

• Advertisement

I was going to viewings up until Dec 15th or so last year. I dont think you'd need to take it off the market tbh.

Advertisement