Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Good point but they have to try. Old DNA would have largely disappeared if left out in the open, newer stuff stored correctly since the murder not so much. What if it's from someone who shouldn't have been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

That's true but it cannot be definitively stated how long it has been on a surface.

"Forensically valuable DNA can be found on evidence that is decades old. However, several factors can affect the DNA left at a crime scene, including environmental factors (e.g., heat, sunlight, moisture, bacteria, and mold). Therefore, not all DNA evidence will result in a usable DNA profile. Further, just like fingerprints, DNA testing cannot tell officers when the suspect was at the crime scene or for how long."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

We don't really know that. I would largely believe that Drew Harris would have a certain portion of autonomy on how to handle the case but still be responsible to answer for his actions. What I don't believe though is that the two documentaries were the only reason why the case was re-focused on, I'd say it's most likely repeated pressure from France, or Tocsan-du-Plantier influenced judiciary in France upon the Irish authorities to extradite Bailey. Ireland's answer would most likely still have been a No towards France's continued extradition wishes, but a also an answer to France to re-investigate the case and examination on whatever lose ends and unexamined evidence is left. It'll really be interesting how the French would react, if Bailey can actually scientifically be excluded as a suspect.

What Drew Harris is concerned, he should have had this done when he took office, or soon after he took office, not on some other external pressure or reason.

The idea that Ian Bailey was the perpetrator is like a ghost story, no actual physical evidence but many people prepared to believe it. If I believe a house is haunted, science will never be able to prove me wrong.

The only way Bailey can be exonerated is by finding the actual killer. Highly unlikely that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

One aspect I find interesting in relation to the case is that a lot of the other potential suspects in the case, the senior local gard, the german who committed suicide, the frenchman, STDP's husband all died relatively shortly after her death. The only one that has survived is Bailey himself.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind if Bailey would rot in a jail somewhere, never seeing daylight in his life, if there was real evidence leading to his conviction beyond reasonable doubt. However as written before, we have nothing, not on anybody. Only theories, only speculation on what might have been more likely or not.

Judging by the brutal way and not the motive on how Sophie was killed, it was either to send a message to somebody, or extreme hate built up over quite some time, or extreme rage about something which came up in a short timeframe. The first two options would suggest a planned murder the latter one more towards something unplanned.

While opinions might differ as key evidence is missing, I find it a bit hard to believe that a man like Bailey, being out in a pub having a good time there, being in good company, only thinks about Sophie, builds up enough hate and decides to hike or one hour, kill her and hike back, and Jules not noticing anything. Theoretically it's possible, but considering what we know on how he spent the evening, this kind of scenario is hard to believe.

As much you are convinced he was involved in some way:) I dont believe he was actually the perpetrator or a serious suspect

• Advertisement

Me neither but I think he knew more than he was letting on

This is it. They can only get actual justice if the perp is alive and imprisoned, but it's highly likely he's dead, and the family can't entertain that possibility.

Tbf, people involved in this case have dropped like flies.

I would love to see that 😁

In case anyone is wondering, the prisoner in question is this delightful character. Another Martin Graham type that was either told to invent a confession or something of that ilk. Foster is really scraping the barrel here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-raped-his-daughter-he-had-not-seen-in-19-years-1.1139253

Foster is really scraping the barrel here.

He's not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, he's down on all fours licking it.

Jaysus, that is one sick individual, my god, there's no limits they wont go to to implicate Bailey

Of course not, it's simply that the almost automatic dismissal of the person(people) who we know was nearest the scene as a suspect has always struck me as strange. We have been told that Alfie was sick at the time but we have to consider that he might have been exaggerating this for different reasons.

Thanks, I dont believe he was involved in her murder but I think he knows more than he's letting on, covering up for a gard/leo Bolger for various reasons.

He strikes me as a fairly mellow dude, likes his weed, living in the country, retired, quiet/relaxed life mainly. I dont think he's going to lose his nuts & murder his neighbour over some sort of planning permission/access issue. I could be wrong but IMO I dont think he's the perpetrator. But I do believe him & Shirley should have been questioned more stringently.

I can understand why you might think that and the impression has been reinforced by the 'hilarious' story of goats eating his marijuana plants. There is a tendency to consider people who smoke dope as being laid-back and mellow but from my extensive experience there are many exceptions. I have known people who smoked morning, noon and night and were very nasty people. One in particular who committed a heinous murder on a completely innocent person.

I can speculate, reasonably, that the Guards could easily have been wrong-footed in the immediate aftermath of the murder by Alfie and Shirley's demeanour. If they had eventually begun to consider them, they would have realised how stupid they would look arresting them given that any evidence was probably long gone and this couple had a rock solid alibi.

• Advertisement

How much Alfie and Shirley were questioned, we don't know. Some her believe, the questioning was "extensive" but we don't know what extensive means and what was discussed and what not. The corrupt local Guards were certainly not volunteering any kind of credible information on this, not back then, at least, I would suggest.

The thing is, what continues to bug me that of all of these three houses in the vicinity, Sophie's and the Richardson's were the only ones to be used for vacations or some kind of temporary stay. Only Alfie's and Shirley's was inhabited permanently, which means that they must have known the most on what goes on in the neighbourhood, observed the most seen the most, especially if drugs were involved or they were in it, or partially in it, or covering for somebody...... As written often before, it also strikes me as odd that they both didn't hear anything that night, nothing at all, even though wind was calm that night, and there was no rain at all. I also believe if Alfie and Shirley were involved or indirectly involved it was to cover up for a Guard, or for somebody like Leo Bolger or some other drug operation. Regarding the two of them, I would largely rule out a neighbourhood dispute over the shed, or something sexual or over sexual rejection.

Then again, looking at Alfie's health or Shirley's personality, it's also hard to imagine that either one of them could have done the brutal killing.

And then there is also Drew Harris. He would have looked as the "big strong man" taking over the new job, and rooting our corruption and collusion in rural Ireland, somewhere in the South West. But he didn't take this kind of opportunity on right from the beginning, he waited until now to re-investigate the evidence in the case. Something happened, that he started to get active now, as opposed to the beginning of his career.

I dont envy Drew Harris, he has a tough job on his hands. Garda corruption in this country is widespread & he's definitely going to be considered an outsider by the majority of the force. Especially considering he's trying to weed out the bad apples. This case I would imagine is low on his list of priorities. 25 years old now & no real breakthroughs, most of the major players dead, its not cold but might aswell be. He's got much more immediate issues to deal with id imagine.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of cases solved after 25 years worldwide in the absence of proper retention of DNA evidence. I would imagine close to zero. Only way this case could be solved now is through someone with any sort of a conscience coming forward but I'm doubtful about that too.

I'm not surprised at what appears like a delay since there has been something of a purge going on in the Guards for the last few years. He was appointed around the time the GSOC report came out, where they said that missing pages from the station jobs books were "potentially very significant”. I don't think any diving in at that time would have yielded anything given there was much more possibility that people would close ranks, where that must have changed somewhat by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say Macron was under pressure to raise this with the Irish Government and has asked at the highest level that something be done to look at the case right from the start.

Post edited by saabsaab on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe they are being fingered as suspects precisely because they are deceased and unable to sue...

This kind of job is never to be the envy. Just wondering, are some parts of Irish society which think that the background of Drew Harris is not acceptable? From Belfast, degree from a university in England, etc... Is Garda corruption this bad currently in Ireland? I don't know.

Regarding DNA, I don't know if 25 years are enough for the evidence to go away, but I think they must have a certain amount of it, to have a decent answer. I am sure, there will have to be an update, if there is an investigation, they must say the results if there are results.

I don't think that somebody coming forward would be enough to hold up in a court of law. The judge would automatically question why it has taken so long, and how one can be sure, of the exact memory over this long period of time. It would certainly not have looked good on any decent citizen not to come forward for so long as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Mr. O Riordan. This new addition to the cast of characters...and Nick Fosters alleged "source", If he was genuinely prowling the area at the time of the murder, and observed what went on, and who the murderer was. Why only speak up now? He could have used that info to bargain his own defence....unless...

My understanding is that he met Ian when he was arrested for the 2001 assault on jules.

I've no idea about the prowler theory but imagine it's another figment of Fosters overactive imagination. He's bloody WILD 😂

The only person who's ever been fingered as a suspect in this case is Ian Bailey.

Maybe if they'd looked at other people in the first place we wouldn't be here scratching our heads 25 years later

• Advertisement

Foster wants to make money here. Sell his literary achievements on that murder. Something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement