Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bin charges are going up too due to the cost of diesel.

Everything is going up because of this climate action plan.

I actually don't think Leo and Michael believe in this but have to as to keep Ryan happy so he doesn't collapse the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This lad surely came up with the plan.

"I devised Climate Action Change Plans for Ogdenville, Brockway and North Haverbrook and by god it put them on the map"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The plan calls for a 50% reduction, not an elimination of transport-related emissions. Nobody has denied that there aren't some people who have to drive to work. The problem is that there's a lot more who don't need to. There's people in Dublin for example who'd drive 200m down the road to drop their kids to school or buy a litre of milk.

If it was only the people who had no alternative but to drive who were driving, we'd be most of the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

over simplification there, yes there are some journeys being made by car that are unnecessary, i even do this myself, but car usage is extremely complex, our public transport systems are no where near where they need to be, an astonishing level of investment needs to be done here, before people can begin to abandon their cars. some car journeys are being done in order to save time, most people are suffering with whats called 'time poverty', we need to try effectively give people back time, we need to reduce working hours, and work related activities, i.e. commuting etc etc. none of this is going to be easy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In a rural area maybe, but if you look at car journey times in Dublin, a lot of commutes are no quicker by car. Even when I was doing a 17km commute across Dublin, the car would only be quicker than the bike when the schools were off. Otherwise, it was much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But when you have a sparse, dispersed rural population, there's only so much you can do with public transport. A lot of the country is still going to be reliant on private cars unless people want to adopt the covid self-isolation lifestyle full time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was an interesting tweet or two from one of 'irish cycling twitter' recently, an architect based in dublin who had to do a site inspection in (IIRC) tralee.

he got the train down instead of driving, and brought a fold up bike for the 20 minute cycle at the far end. he acknowledged that yes, the train option was slower, and more expensive; but a big caveat that it wasn't that much slower, and he was able to bring his laptop and get several hours of work done on the journey. and i assume his regained time would significantly outweigh the extra cost of the train ticket.

that's what we should be striving for with that sort of transport - and i know well that many train journeys in ireland wouldn't have been that relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

What do you mean "the media is brainwashing people into thinking Ireland can save the world"? I don't think I've heard anyone say this.

"Green" policies are not responsible for all of these data centers. That's your friends in FF and FG granting planning permission. They are the only people with any say in this government. I'm sure they're delighted with comments like this blaming the green party for everything. Now, whose "gullible"?

You are correct in saying China is a heavy polluter. But it's a much bigger country. I'm sure they produce a lot more green energy than we do too.

I know everyone is complaining about the cost. But I live in a 50k zone but I drive my kids to school every day because nobody sticks to the 50k limit and there are no cycle paths. My son was knocked off his bike by a car one afternoon and ended up in hospital.

So safe cycling routes would save me money because I wouldn't need to drive every day.

Is it all conspiracy? Is it possible we could end up with less traffic, cleaner air, and healthy children for nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

But can we put up the motor tax on these cars? It would not be popular and would hurt low income most, especially with carbon tax going up too.

Agree on Smokey fuels but we country folk will have a flipping melt down if you try to take away our fire places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The issue is that it should be cheaper, right now if you are a group then you are better off driving, no waiting and overall cheaper. People won’t change unless it’s worth their while. Why are they not pushing for this to incentivise people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

For a family a car is almost always cheaper than public transport. Return train from Dublin to Cork for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids is outrageously expensive, even when you book well ahead.

Then you add in the commute to the train station and the return. They should be subsidising public transport more. Make it worth peoples while to actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Meanwhile back in China and India, they couldn't care less about climate change, meanwhile, at home, we have the 3 stooges telling us how we have to change our lives and heap more taxes on us. fooking joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

agree wholeheartedly. for example, i'm surprised the likes of galway and cork aren't pushing more for it - if you want to go for a short city break, the issue of where to park might put off someone driving, and the train ticket prices might put off non-drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Eamon Ryan doing his usual fairyland answers and waffling when asked straight forward questions about how people are supposed to pay for all the required energy upgrades they are being taxed for not having and delighted to point out that all the social housing will get these upgrades for free from the taxpayer, I really cant see how a group of people could listen to him for more than 5 mins and then declare him their glorious leader who will win over the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is one of the most infuriating aspects of listening to the likes of Ryan. When they are challenged on the costs, they go about supplementary fuel allowances, protecting those on social welfare and in local authority housing and so on.

Then you have the farmers basically saying they will not reduce the size of herds one bit - what we have we hold.

That leaves the ordinary middle waged working public to pay all the extra costs and take all the pain.

Are they for real, these politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Farting and smoking humans would be a big factor, smoking has to add to noxious gases but the stoner Greens seem reluctant to tackle it

• Advertisement

You’d want to be pretty brave to cycle on country roads. It’s hairy enough if you are in a car.

I cycle on country roads all the time. People perceive cycling to be dangerous, but the data doesn't support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paulm123

Ryan is a dope of the highest order.

He has never seen a cost that couldnt be paid for by Government, he is almost as bad as Sf when it comes to the magic money tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

But we pollute more per capita. Therefore Ireland is worse than China and its 500000000000000000 coal burning power stations because per capita

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The thing that gets me is that during the recession we were going around in bread bag shoes telling us all we had to tighten our belts now. Austerity here to stay. Now theres a 100 billion being thrown at capital investment projects. Another 120billion at this. Wtf like. Wheres the money coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The million EVs thing is annoying. We should be aiming to take a million cars off the road maybe, regardless of their power source.

Anyway for those of you moaning about the Greens, after the next election when they're gone, do you really think FF/FG/SF or whoever are just going to stop going on about and introducing climate measures?

You and me, government have said private finance so that's lots of people borrowing wheelbarrow loads of money to pay for new cars and basically borrowing to pay energy bills,

What’s the carbon footprint of shipping this? Does everyone have to have their little publicity stunt to prove they’re relevant? I wonder what the carbon footprint of these protests are.

Anyway for those of you moaning about the Greens, after the next election when they're gone, do you really think FF/FG/SF or whoever are just going to stop going on about and introducing climate measures?

Its surprising how many just don't seem to grasp this. The climate actions are here to stay and they are going to get progressively more and more evident in everything.

• Want to get a bus - its going to be electric/low emissions very soon
    • Same with trains
    • Want to refuel a car - going to cost you if it is a source of emissions
    • Want to build a house - unless its B2 or higher and has a heat pump, don't expect permission to be granted
    • Want to bid for a govt contract - your green credentials better stack up and be verifiable
    • Opening a business - you'll have to show how you plan to heat the place emission free and what your setup is for sustainable transport
    • and so on

The climate plan shows these actions and their impacts are going to permeate every single aspect of our daily lives.

I, for one, welcome these actions. Ireland has a pathetic record when it come to the environment, its time we got our collective sheet together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You see, you seem to think that we have no choice in the matter, we do.

Advertisement