Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

If the EU were willing to help the UK man the border in NI, I am pretty sure they will be very very helpful to Ireland in the above scenario.

Also worth noting that a border for goods checking is an order of magnitude easier than one that also needs to check people...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland 'is' the EU. You're speaking as if the EU is some outside agency like the US or China. Any solution would entail the club members (i.e. the full EU27) working together.

Should be remembered that the backlash against this, even if it was happening, would be huge. The US for example would come down on Brexit UK like a ton of bricks for engineering a scenario where the unwanted and unwelcome Irish border returns after 30 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But currently we do not "have to stand up border infrastructure" and for us to start disclosing any plans for same would show that the Irish government do not believe that the NIP is working or that it will work in the future. This in turn will simply provide fuel to the unionists and brexiteers that what they are demanding is the correct path.

So your notions of a public consultation campaign of something that is not yet actual is 100% pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How is it going to look for who exactly ?

If we end up with hard border then the UK and only the UK will come out looking bad to anyone looking at this objectively.

If the UK spring a need for an overnight border on Ireland it will go against treaties it has signed and no county in the world could be expected to react to that quickly.

The only other option is to build the border now which would be a huge waste of money and resources given that no border is still the most likely scenario

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No Gov in the world would disclose any plans they might have for a situation that would pertain for the likes of the failure of the NIP, because even countenancing such a possibility would be self fulfilling.

I am sure there are plans for a reaction to another foot and mouth outbreak. However, those plans are not open to scrutiny by the likes of us - why would they be, and what could the likes of us contribute to such plans? Equally, any plans re the NIP are very much higher in the secrecy level.

Even the vague possibility that such plans might exist is highly secret. A democracy just gets to vote every so often - it does not get to make day to day decisions. Any consultations are at the behest of politicians elected in those votes, and only by those in Gov formed by such votes, and not necessarily by the ones who claim to have got the most votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

No, it shows we are prepared for every eventuality, however unlikely, and take defending the SM seriously.

Because in order for the plans to work it needs buy-in from the stake holders, in this case those that traverse that border and those that trade across it.

The Brexit vote took place in 2016.

Since that day the possibility of border infrastructure between RoI and NI became a possibility.

It's almost 2022 now so the government can't exactly claim this has been foisted on them "overnight'.

'Politically sensitive' nature of the issue is a big factor. The Irish state cannot give the impression it is okay or relaxed with the idea of the reintroduction of a hard border after 30 years. The thing would be hated and considered most unwelcome by nearly everyone in the Republic and by all of nationalist opinion in NI.

• Advertisement

I concur but that's why we need public information, an education campaign to insure 'blame' is directed at those responsible - the British government.

Engagement with border communities, that kind of stuff.

People and businesses will need to know how their lives may be impacted, that requires lead time before any changes occur.

Sticking heads-in-sand on this doesn't strike me as a viable option.

Yes they can claim it was foisted because we negotiated and signed an agreement that there would not be one. The UK government signed a binding international contract preventing one.

Are you really suggesting we should have border posts and fully trained staff hired from now to the end of forever just in case the UK start ripping up treaties (which might never happen)

Clearly you are just trying to create a narrative to fit your own politics.

It's Schrodingers government with you. They are doing nothing but are also doing loads of planning behind our backs

This can be done without announcing your plans to the public and engaging in a futile public consultation exercise

To be honest a border will never suit everyone no matter where it goes. Therefore public consultation is not something that is likely to happen or if it does, it will not really affect the outcome. Are you expecting the government to decide against one simply because people will dislike it?

Since 2016, the government and the EU have managed to keep Ireland free of a hard border. You have this notion that we should be openly discussing plans for something that might not happen for the reasons previously given to you. Are you really not getting it or simply wanting the Irish government to step up and claim that (despite the contrary) the NIP is not working and how we plan to mitigate its collapse?

No.

We don't know how 'hard' the border may be as it all depends on what the UK does.

But certainly having advanced plans, public consultations, information campaigns would be wise.

Major crossing points between the jurisdictions need identifying with maybe, some compulsory purchase orders afoot.

Clearing some space at points and pouring some concrete wouldn't go a miss.

Remember, the UK have identified (correctly) that the NI border is the best weak-link into the SM.

INMO if we show that we mean business, that weak link becomes a little stronger.

I have news for you Seth.

The NIP is not 'working' because one party to the agreement is torpedoing it.

Why buy up land and fill it with concrete for something that might never happen. Also why would you be having information campaigns about something that you don't see happening and don't know what it will look like I it does happen.

I get it you just want to have a good whinge about the crappy Irish government

You're assuming that people would engage constructively with the government telling them of their plans to reintroduce a hard border. It's far more likely that people would reply "We want nothing to do with your border and will not cooperate".

Imagine the German government drawing up plans to reintroduce the border with the east and asking the people in East Germany for their cooperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah thats why I said the end game is hard border or IRL outside the SM.

The start of the game is if the UK invokes A16 and the depth of that rabbit hole intrigues the anarchist in me.

So we are prepared for such an eventuality, one that has become increasingly likely.

You prefer to have no plan and look like a tool to our EU partners?

The ones that we want to maintain trust and confidence with?

If i were they, i would expect at this stage, that Ireland have some pretty well fleshed-out plans that can be put in place quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The NIP is working, only the UK want to argue it isn't. Although they consistently fail to give any details of how it isn't woking.

If Dublin announce a working group on the border, what do you think the UK wil do? Like the reaction to the discussion of A16 in Spring, they would immediately call Ireland out for renaging on the deal, that the EU wasn't interested in making the NIP work, that the deal was dead, that the EU was intent on stealing NI from the UK by partitiioning it off from it supply routes etc.

The UK have continually stated that they have no intention of introducing a land border in NI. They want to protect peace. Why would the Irish then start a process that effectively call them liars?

And if it all the above were not relevant, we can't even agree to hold X number of concerts or build Data centres. Imagine the uproar if even the thought of a hard border was brought up?

• Advertisement

You are assuming that there is no plan. You have no idea what the government have discussed or planned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nonsense.

How much buy-in do they get for most taxes? They suffer unpopularity if that is the result, but on balance, they make political choices that they think will be acceptable to the voters.

I think you would like direct democracy like in Switzerland where there would be a vote on any matter at all - not here, I'm afraid.

Speaking for myself, were I travelling across the border regularly or trading across it; i would much prefer to know what's in store well in advance, as opposed to interruptions being sprung on me.

We won't look "like a tool" to our EU partners because they are not stupid and understand the situation.

Everyone except people like yourself trying to push agendas understand the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

I still maintain a hard border won't need to come to pass.

The vast majority of sea and air transport landing on the island of Ireland is done by EU based companies or companies with a far greater stake in the EU market than the UK.

Make it an EU offence to carry, or assist in the carriage of, any goods onto the island of Ireland not destined for NI that do not comply with EU SM rules.

What will quickly happen is the hassle of singling out goods for NI versus goods that could go beyond NI won't be worth it for the logistics companies and they'll simply insist that all goods departing the UK for the entire island of Ireland must comply with EU SM rules.

Meanwhile, you place maximum checks on all goods entering the EU SM at other major ports like Calais and Rotterdam and tell the logistics companies that they must ensure they are only carrying valid and correctly declared goods. If any invalid or undeclared goods are found in a shipment, they are responsible for returning them to the port of origin and they will be charged punitive storage rates until such time they do.

Net result is the UK will suffer an overnight, frankly devastating backlog at all of their ports as logistics companies won't take any of their export goods unless they're 100% certain the paperwork for them is correct. Then the EU sits back and waits.

If they don't engage with the stake holders and design something without their input, it will likely disrupt and anger far more people than if they brought stake holders along into the design process.

What "stake holders" what "design process" what are you on about.

If a hard border happened we would have no say over where it goes or what gets checked. Absolutely no town hall meeting in Ballygobordertown can change the border or the goods allowed.

Also we are all stake holders so is the whole country gonna get to vote on the colour of paint for the border posts

The actual (Brexit imposed) border would be the thing that angers everyone, not the design of it. All of the anger would be directed towards the English nationalists cross channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think its clear enough, that whatever the Brits do as regards Article 16 or any other legal recourse around the treaty, it will not result in a real or de facto hard border on the island of Ireland, because that would be tolerated by 85% of all the people on the island. Or by all the nations of the western World in fact.

Its clear enough that Boris has no love for northern Ireland and my concern now is that he could well allow a chaotic reunification to take place by London's abdication of responsibility. We may all have to defend peace on the island in that event.

• Advertisement

Ask the British what they plan on doing then. Any border will be imposed as a result of a British decision (backed up by unionists) - nobody else will create that situation because everybody else is aiming for a non-border solution such as the NIP.

What kind of consultation do you think might happen if a border is ever required? Do you really think there will be "stakeholders" in any way involved? Do you really think the ordinary person will have any input into where the border checks will happen or what the infrastructure will actually look like? Really? (At this point if you are still saying "yes I do" then maybe sit down for a few minutes and seriously think it all through again.)

Advertisement