Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have an electric bike?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i took my wife's one for a spin and was thinking 'good god, this is much more work than the hype made me believe it would be' and then realised the speedo was reading 17mph; so i'd managed to go out of motor assist without realising it and was cycling a 25Kg+ bike under my own steam.

a caveat i've heard is that they can eat chains because the rider can just pedal along at low cadence and let the motor do all the work, and i wouldn't fancy changing a rear tube on one in the event of a puncture. i've had to reseat the chain on the chainring after it jumped off - i think the motor can divorce you from the sensation of changing gear under load, which can make it more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No issues so far. It's good build quality, weighs 20kg with the battery in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I'm having to change chains every 2500km or so - due to stretching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i heard you can get heavier duty chains for e-bikes; what sort of cadence are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I change my normal bike chains at 2,000-2,500km (I know with regular cleaning and care people get 2-3 times this, but they're relatively inexpensive compared cassettes and chainrings) I've had 2-3 chainrings replaced in the past so I just try change them between 2-2.5k as it's easier than changing a €50-60 chainring and/or cassette.

I've read people with mid drive ebikes going through chains after 1,000km so I have a chain stretch tool now, try clean it more regularly and have several €18 chains sitting by. Admittedly I haven't ridden my ebike much in the last 3 months though so not doing big mileage!

Edit: quoted wrong post, can't delete or change quote on this bloody site...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'd be a decent enough cyclist and own a few road bikes. I bought an eBike for just scooting around the area, dropping the kids off to the creche with a trailer, doing a short commute (8km) into the office ...etc. Basically when I don't want to break a sweat.

I received my new ebike during the week and took her up Howth head in Dublin, inclines up to about 9% in sections. Here's my experience of it.

So firstly the bike is limited to 25km/h, it has a mid drive motor and has levels of assist (eco, normal, high), the top level provides 200% power assistance on top of what you're putting through the pedals, torque of 60nm. The bike weights 17kg which isn't light, but it's light for an ebike. The bike is a 1x crank with 9 gears. The gear range is ok.

Anyway I took it out in high assist mode and along the coast from Clontarf. The moment you start pedalling you can feel the bike accelerating with greater effort than you're putting in. On the flats i got to 25km/h with a 3-4 seconds. The computer on the bike has power bar which indicates how much "help" you're getting at any point in time. The motor does cut out at 25km/h. So when you go above 25km/h you're effectively on your own. This is fine, normally when I'm going above this I was on a slight decline so you're not really working much.

I then took it up Howth, Sutton side up by the graveyard. I was wearing jeans, jumper and a jacket for my sweat test :) ... On a road bike at best on the steepest sections I might average about 16-18kph depending on the day. On the ebike i was consistently around 20-21kph and it felt like I was just riding on a flat surface, so it really does flatten the road. The nice thing about the gears and a mid drive is you have full assistance of the motor across every gear, which you don't get with a van moof or something like it, so you have alot more options. I got to the top of Howth head easily, without sweating or huffing puffing staying well under 25kph. The total trip was 23km and i used about 20% of the battery apparently.

I have to say it's a great bike and it really fills a niche for me. I won't be using it for exercise, still a road bike enthusiast, it's really for the times when I need the convenience. Like hauling a kids trailer up some hills twice a day on the creche drop!

btw this is the bike I got

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-mach-electric-bike-2021/rp-prod195707

J

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Changing the rear tube on a bakfiets out on the road would be a huge deal too, but I've never had to do it. I just patch it in situ. I put the bike on its stand, pop the tube out the non-drive side, find the leak and patch it. I think it's what people used to do when three-speed roadsters were the standard bike too.

Another option is to get the inner tubes like this:

I've heard they puncture more often, due to friction at the ends or something like that, but they are much easier to get on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All,

Anyone know what is # 1 the best commuting ebike that one can buy ? # 2 What is the best ebike in the 1000 / 1500 bracket ?

Also do you think they are prone to getting robbed more, if left hitched to street furniture ?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

1) Is too subjective. The range is vast and varied. Best to look at from point of view of the requirements and research the bikes that fit those requirements. What drive type you require, is torque important to you, what daily km range would you cover, do you need gearing, is the commute hilly, do you want a throttle...etc.

There are options in the 1k-1.5k ... Radbikes seem to be the obvious popular choice from what I see around town.

Regarding theft, any bike is a target in town. Nicer bikes will catch the eye. Make it less attractive to rob, lock it well, take the battery and control computer with you if possible.

• Advertisement

Quick question if I may, are Batteries, controllers generally easy to remove, would this be something mentioned when looking at a purchase, catalogue etc, it's one concern I'd personally have for reasons you've mentioned , thanks 😉

Most ebikes have removable batteries, which are locked to the frame with a key, however they do come in different shapes and sizes. So while it might be possible to remove, it might not be practical to carry around with you. This is my battey. It weighs 2.5kg.

The controller clips off like any bike computer.

Thanks so much, appreciate that. My own plan is to use an ebike for 2 weekly trips (19km Each way) for shopping, other than that, more local, mountain trails etc during the week so no concerns re theft (hopefully 😁) . I was just concerned about the shopping trips but in fairness both locations reasonably well covered by CCTV.

Thanks again

Yeah the key is just making the bike a pain to rob quickly. I'd favour a decent chain and padlock over a U-Lock. With the latter thieves will wreck the bike trying to get it by using the bike as a lever to snap the U-Lock.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

We have two. I have a Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 for my 25km commute to work. We also have an Urban Arrow cargo bike for the school run.

The Specialized is great. I can get to work in about an hour and it’s faster than the bus or the car during rush hour. So instead of sitting on the M50 I have a nice segment through the Phoenix Park. The only downside to the long commute is the absolute psychopaths you encounter who can’t drive.

The cargo bike is great for the school run. The school is only 3km away which is too far to walk and too close to drive. We can be in and out before most find a footpath to abandon their SUV on.

Out of interest what tyres are you running on the Vado?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The ones it came with. Trigger something Sport, Blackbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I think Santa might bring me a bike this year. I honestly have no idea about e-bikes. I guess I'm looking at something that can go long distance like 20 miles one way and 20 miles back again. Is there such a thing with a bike that can go that kind of distance?

TBH that range is pretty much satisfied by most ebikes on the market. If you're looking to do that range on pure throttle alone you'll probably need to do research but most pedal assisted ebikes will do that range minimum.

I think most ebikes should manage 60-100km range, the 250wh battery in my bike is considered 'small' but I get 80-100km in full power mode which ramps up immediately and I'm a big lad which would reduce range.

Depends on your fitness too. Anyone with a base level of fitness should be able to cycle above 25kph so the motor wouldn't be on constantly. If you're not facing lots of hills or regular red lights that range would only increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭hometruths

Did it arrive? Thinking of ordering one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

From the Guardian.

Relates to UK but might have some pointers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/26/how-to-buy-an-electric-bike-e-bike-models-ranges-batteries?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

I bought an ebike in 2017 for commuting. With lockdown it has not got a lot of use but in total I have 11,600K on it. The battery is starting to age a little and the expected range is not as good as it used to be, but more than acceptable, better in summer than winter. Brake pads, tyres and a few inner tubes is all it has really cost me since

Would strongly recommend a mid-drive system, Bosch or similar

i assume a couple of chains too?

How do you find it on chains? I hear mixed reports on mid drives going through chains. Seems to be mainly MTB bikes going through them quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hi all - I'm thinking about going the ebike route for commuting, and want to get the most bang for my buck. Would I be mental to buy a cheap commuter bike (something like this from Halfords) and a mid-hub conversion kit (like this)?

Wouldn't be as pretty or slick as a dedicated ebike, but would seemingly be quite a bit cheaper......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

I have yet to need to replace a chain or cassette. Its recommended that you ease off on the pedals as you change gear and being mindful of that have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I have a kuma R1 about 3 weeks now for a 20km round commute to the office, up hill on the way in, downhill but into the wind on the way home. I have a damaged hip so that was the primary driver for an e-bike.

So far loving it, got panier bags so easy to carry everything I need, and getting 100km easily out of th battery.

Had the option of the car a few days but find the cycling enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm the same, I find myself opting for the bike where before I'd definitely have used the car. This morning it was blowing an absolute hooley against me on the way home from a game of tennis, but the option to just boost the power to take the sting out of the wind meant I got a 10k cycle, plus a free warm-up for the game, in instead of sitting in traffic both ways.

I most definitely wouldn't have taken the ordinary bike today!

Advertisement