Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The lockdown merchants will have a field day with this '4000 cases'

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

In fairness the Greens 25 years ago had something to offer - their ideas about grow your own vegetables / self sustainability / less fossil fuel and the like were viewed as looney, eccentric, off the wall stuff. That especially was underlined in Celtic Tiger years and they were all washed away.

The crowd now are just an urban bunch of cycling lobbyists. If they can't whine and lecture people about that cycling, they are clueless.

They have almost no support down the country or in Agricultural / Horticultural Community, where you would imagine their strongest expertise / support would be.

Being obnoxious about labelling people "antivaxxers" or excluding them is not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Vaccinated only? So not even accepting digital covid cert?

Where is that stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

The digital covid cert only works if you are vaccinated . THey don't allow digial cert with antigen test to obtain entry.

So you can prove you don't have covid with a negative antigen test but they won't let you in but once you have the vax you could have covid and obtain entry. Trust the science!

Who would want to go to a green part convention anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

That's incorrect I think.

If you are recovered you can have a covid cert. Not only vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Have to wear a mask everywhere (even outdoors is a bit ambiguous because the requirement to wear masks outdoors, a requirement I didn't know existed, was to be lifted on the 22nd), can't go for a cup of tea without a certificate, have to socially distance (even if a lot of people don't, it's still a restriction for businesses and means they can't operate properly), living in a country where doctors, scientists and academics are on news' and radio programmes every day talking about restrictions forever (Sam McConkey, Tomás Ryan, Gabriel Scally, Aoife McLysaght) with no regard from the presenter or the guest for the effect such predictions and pronouncements have on people's mental health, and, because of the size of the country, it's very hard to escape from. In the US, for example, one reads about people moving to red states to escape restricted blue states. Can't do that in Ireland, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you are recovered and not vaxxed you can still get a Covid cert.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The point I'm making is that we should not be even considering any papers, or trials at this point.

This pandemic has been going on for 2 years, there is data available on when masks were introduced in each country and plenty of before and after data on every aspect of the disease progression, death and R rates etc.

If masks were effective, then there would be clear indications of their efficacy borne out by a step change occurring in the death, transmission or other indicators in each country on the date that they were introduced.

To my knowledge and based on data for EU countries that introduced masks prior to Ireland, there was zero impact on any disease metric.

I don't doubt in the slightest that a study can be created to show that they are effective in some circumstance or other.

However in the real world (which is all that counts) they have had zero impact as far as I'm aware.

If you can point me towards any indication of a real impact on any Covid metric on a population basis then I'd be happy to accept it.

I haven't read the papers you linked but hope you can acknowledge that your original choice of paper was indeed a very poor one.

Papers can be based on a thesis, a study on a (typically) small sample or analysis of full population data. I'd argue at this point in the Covid fiasco that only those based on the latter is acceptable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You imply that there was a time that people risked death by attending political party conventions, but attended anyway.

You also conveniently ignore the fact that the whole thing is being streamed online for people who cannot attend in-person. That makes it the most accessible party convention in the party's history. Everyone can attend the conference regardless of their status in any form. That is the most democratic it can be.

This is the one of the stupidest, most hyperbolic comments I've seen on this thread. And that is definitely saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Can you show me any real-time evidence to show that masks had no effect to prove what you are saying. I note the ‘as far as I’m aware’ after strong prophesastion that masks have zero impact. I think it’s only fair as you have disregarded the science, you have disregarded every peer review article (just to say I’m not having a go, I’m just saying where I’m coming from) and only made a statement. Again I’m being truthful and genuine when I say that I’m here and open to learn and I’m not someone that Is entrenched,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

I didn't know we had to wear masks everywhere, has it been changed ?

As for the masks and certs, genuinely without wishing to be confrontational, I take the view that sometimes life isn't as we wish and we need to suck it up. Some may disagree which is fair enough, I've no issue with that. Everyone is saying we need to learn to live with COVID, well maybe masks and certs for a while is, in fact, living with COVID. Unless people want to ignore COVID which is a different thing altogether.

The guys on the media - meh, so what, ignore them. I haven't heard anyone talking about restrictions forever, nor have I heard much from McConkey in recent times. Like most, I've no time for the ISAG zero covid crowd, that ship sailed, but we're still in the middle of a once in a generation event and wishing it away won't do anything. Personally I think we're a lot closer to the end than the beginning, but I don't believe there'll be a "freedom day" or definite point in time when a switch is flicked and its over, I think it will evolve into being over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

This has been claimed numerous times despite the fact that there's no clear evidence supporting it, and a fair bit of circumstantial evidence to the contrary.

Keeping schools open has always been a political decision considering factors other than Covid, and appropriate interpretations of the data have been made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

There was never a time in history or currently, that it was to risk your life, or your livelihood, or the security of your family to attend political gatherings or functions or organise yourself and those around in the interests of fairness and a voice for all in society? Really?

There are far too many examples to list, historically and occuring right now in other parts of the globe. Maybe you should study some history, you know the old saying those who don't know their history..............

Or maybe you think it has never happened in Ireland or never could? Again I would suggest a little light reading

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There no actual evidence to contradict it either so it remains a battleground of differing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

90.5% of all deaths in Scotland in October were fully vaxed

6.3% unvaxed

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Are they going to extend it to Polling stations next, perhaps?

Seeing as most of unvaccinnated wouldn't seem the type to be voting for FF/FG/Green in the unlikely event of an election before February 9th.

But how long is a while? I often refer to the state of emergency declared in the aftermath 9/11. It has yet to be declared over. A lot of 'temporary measures' have a habit of becoming permanent measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And how is the state of emergency declared on 9/11 affecting your life these days?

Not the point. The point is that ostensibly temporary measures or acts have a habit of becoming permanent.

So you are just complaining about something for the sake of it, By any chance are you an anti everything person?

• Advertisement

Interesting to see how the vaccines are waning now against the same variant. Those being vaxed first are now starting to see infections rising far faster in that age group than a couple of months earlier. More or less exactly the same timeframe as Israel encountered at the end of July.

Hopefully it is not the same with the waning they found in August against severe outcomes

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes and we still have to take our shoes off at airport security and can’t take bottles of liquid on board etc. With covid, nobody knows, it’s an almost unprecedented situation. Imo anyone who says they know for sure when this is going to be over is lying. Ultimately it’ll depend on each country’s risk threshold or tolerance for deaths and disruption to health services, but we’re all so interlinked now it’s very hard for one country to go it alone.

Do you really think anyone anywhere actually wants to have masks and certs as a permanent feature or as any feature, for a second more than necessary ? I mean, think about that for a moment, it’s just not plausible, despite what the CT people might think. There really isnt some blofeld character in the background looking to p1ss people off for sh1ts and giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why would it be any different? Humans are the same everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Fair play to them for being upfront and honest about their figures.

Don’t like the figures ”liars”

Like them “up front and honest”

Reality. Just the figures

Scotland hospitalisations 73.5 % fully vaxed

23.8% non vaxed

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see MM has summoned Hospitality sector representatives for a little chat about the reports of 1 in 3 patrons not having vaccination status checked.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

With so many vaccinated and people that are vaccinated able to transmit the virus,are these passes not a complete waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps but you know the principal of scapegoating. Ultimately it will a stunt , box ticking exercise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Advertisement