Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rental rules .... so bad for all

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I think the point Fkall was making is that the regulations changed. So the decision was made under certain rules and then those rules were changed without notice or consultation. This happens to landlords all the time. I understand the regulations need to change over time as new problems and norms arise but can you imagine if farmers or manufacturers or builders were given new regulations every few months without any notice or consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Fkall said the tenancy changed during Covid; the regulations surrounding rent reviews were in place long before that

Yes but the amount the rent can be increased by has been changed significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The formula used to be that you could increase it by 4% per year, and then if it was longer than that since the last increase, it could multiply. So it was

4% * (months since last increase / 12)

Basically if you hadn't changed it in 1 year, you could push it up by 4%, if it was 2 years then you could push it up 8%, etc, or something partial in between (mine went up by 6% after 18 months of no change previously).

The new rules since July are that it is entirely based on inflation instead. The RTB have a calculator here: https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

What this basically means is that it doesn't specifically matter how long it was since it increased, what matters is the difference in inflation between now and when it was last set. In general, there will have been more inflation if it was set a longer time ago, but not guaranteed (e.g. according to the chart in the link above, if rent was set in Oct 2020, you'd actually be able to raise it by more than if it was set in Oct 2019).

However, on top of that there is a new rule coming in soon that also caps increases to 2% per year: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40735440.html

So rent increases will be either 2% or the inflation adjusted amount, whichever is lower.

It's not so much about it being a "poor me" story as it is showing how bad the system is. People complain about some LLs leaving apartments empty, but look at this and you'll see why. If you drop the rates when the market is better for renters, you're stuck with that for years to come. The commenter above did "the right thing" by renting out at a lower rate, and now they've lost out because of it.

Go back and re-read Fkall's post, that's not the point that was being made.

"Property re-rented at 70% of previous rent but I consoled myself with the thought that I will be able to recover the rent over a number of years. Had I left the property vacant for 3 months, it would be rented now at the old rate.

I have learnt my lesson."

It sounds from this like they were unaware that once a lower rate was set, it couldn't automatically be reset to the pre-Cvoid rate

• Advertisement

I think he means that if he’d left it 3 months, the demand for rental properties post covid restrictions would have meant he would have got 100% of the old rent price.

I understood this part as meaning that if it had been left vacant, no lower rent would have been set and it could have been let at the previous rent when demand picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Ok so if I didn't increase rent for 3 year I could increase it by 6% or whatever inflation was, whichever is less. I assume this only applies to new tenancies and not existing one? And there is a cap of 2% on any given rent review?

Wasn't this the issue in the first place, that after, that after the covid rent freeze people where facing into an 8% rent increase?

Exactly. That rule isn't a new thing though and should have been well understood by anyone in the business

Yes. I understood that they would raise the rent annually to reduce the difference between the pre-Covid rent and current rent. Now that increases are linked to inflation and capped at 2% that isn’t such a good option.

Anyway, I may have misunderstood. Perhaps they didn’t know about rent reviews before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It's bleedin obvious the original poster is referencing the break in rent increases being linked to market demand and change from 4% max to 2% or inflation whichever is less and the long term impact that has. Something announced, released and implemented all in the same week.

Pricing a property under market rate pretty much meant you could increase rent every year until you hit the market rate, under the new system that isn't the case. Not sure why there's a need to try and make the OP seem thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

There is zero chance this will only apply to new tenancies, on every previous occasion they have applied each change to existing tenancies not only new ones.

What I'm attempting to ascertain is what parts of "this" will apply to new tenancy versus existing in the scenario where there has been a pause in rent increases. When I use https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz and up in a two year period it indicates I can increase rent by 4.6%, I assume this only applies to new tenancy and not to a rent review for existing tenants and this is limited at 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

The RTB rent calculator is based on the current law, not the announced changes. The RTB calculator is correct, for an existing tenancy you can currently increase by 4.6% over the period you put in - this doesn't mean you can increase by 4.6% every two years it means the HICP increased by 4.6% from the date you input until the last time the HICO was updated.

there is no distinction between new tenancies or existing tenancies, the rent increase restrictions apply equally to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

To be clear - I was happy to recover the drop over 6 or 7 years but the proposed legalisation which will be debated in the Dail next month will extend that recovery to guts of 20 years.

As I said, I have learnt my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Has the 2% cap been passed into law yet? I thought it was just approved yesterday and will be legislated for at the same time as the indefinite tenancies regulation. Is that wrong?

Reporting made it seem like it's law now? Not sure tbh, I had seen references to expedited voting.

The plan is to debate the legalisation in the Dail next month. Assuming no real obstacles it will be enacted before Xmas i.e. become law

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is when you are a large corporate LL you can take this BS. smaller LL with 1-2 rentals gets f@@ked over by the system. When I first was involved another LL said the way he worked was a tenant came in he rented he house, he never increased the rent, and after a 30-50 month period the tenant moved on. Then he fixed any issues, painted and fixed up the property moved the rent up to the market rate and moved on, deprending on how efficient he was, anddamage done the property was empty 20-50 days.

For a smaller LL, now if you make any error, you are better off looking for vacant possession and selling

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

This is the issue imho. Most landlords are decent, honorable people who have their hard earned savings / pension tied up in their rental property(ies).

Previously, these landlords were happy to leave existing tenancies run a few years of until a tenant left. Then they invariably would need to redecorate (& maybe update) their property and would rerent at the market rent.

This actually worked well for landlords & their tenants. Then the Government came along with several RTB enforceable regulations and have messed the whole market up. It's a mess now, and every intervention, including this latest one will leave less rental properties available and hence make renting harder and ultimately more expensive.

The ways to reduce rents is to increase supply (Economics 101), you only do this by retaining landlords and by increasing housing supply. RTB regulations do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Can anyone shed light on my position?

Renting apartment last rent review 31/12/19.

tenant lost job due to COVID and is still on pup.

due to COVID restrictions I cannot raise rent as tenant is effected by pandemic.

When can I review rent and by what %?

My best scenario would be after 24 months +6% up to July 2021 (COVID rules changed) plus rate of inflation or 2% whatever is lowest?

or is it just rate of inflation or 2% whatever is lowest?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

That's the way I operate, I never increase the rent until a tenant moves on, but that's okay for me as none of my property is in an RPZ area.

Funny how you hear very little about landlords increasing rent outside these RPZ areas, yes it happens but it's not guaranteed like the yearly increase in the RPZ zone.

But this is what you get with a populist government I suppose,

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Phone up the RTB and ask them the “when”.

And then use the RTB calculator to find out by “how much” you can raise the rent.

I’d recommend taking a screen shot / print out of the information you type into the RTB calculator and their estimation, so you have proof you have not raised the rent above the allowance.

The government keeps changing its mind on this so often it’d be best to have physical proof directly from the RTB itself to cover your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Where is the data set for rents? By this I mean where would one for example the average rent for an area for a period, say Fermoy LEA, Co. Cork for 2020. I would love to have a dig around in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could lie alright and say it is your principal residence. I understand the general boards.ie rules don't allow for that type of "advice".

Where it could come back to bite you in the arse is if you later sell your actual real principal house for "profit".

Yes it is my point - I make a business decision in full knowledge of the rules. Unfortunately for me the rules changed but I have learnt my lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Is there not an 8 year rule in Ireland that you have to either sell the shares or pay the CGT on the profit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Its a business deal.

Stop verbal agreements, worth nothing either side. Keep to the legal's and then no issues for either side.

Advertisement