Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone used a Photo-Me Photo booth to get a passport style photo?

• 05-11-2021 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hello,

In some self service passport style photo booths such as Photo-Me you might see in places like Lidl you can have a passport photo sent electronically so it will link up with your online passport application.

My question:

I don't want to apply for a new passport but I DO want a passport style photo in electronic form. I do not want to get this done in a pharmacy or anywhere else except in an anonymous photo booth. I know that you can enter a code and link it to your online passport application but at that point of linking the photo.... does anyone know is it maybe possible then to download the photo to your own computer?

I want to use that style of photo for another application basically and I don't want to go to some place like a local pharmacy so a human being has to stand there with a camera photographing my ugly mug !

Cheers,

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I just did my own, using my phone, so didn't even have to leave the house. Didn't think initially that it would be accepted for my passport application but no issues. Just don't use any filters or the likes.

If you don't have a plain, non-shiny surface as a backdrop just hang a bedsheet or similar over a door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Same as that, I did my own photo for my passport application (well, I got my sister to take it!).

I had to do it about five or six times to get the site to accept it, so if wherever you want to submit it to is as fussy as the passport office, maybe try to submit it to the passport site first?

If you don't think they'd be that pernickity, then a plain photo in good light against a white background on your phone should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You get the photos and code. So you can use the photos for your other purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Thank you everyone for your answers.

OK but I need the photos in electronic format. My question was if you can download the photos to your own computer?

If anyone can confirm this I would be grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP I've used this website (free) many times in the past - https://www.idphoto4you.com/

Tight white bedsheet on bed for small children as background, white wall/door for older children and adults, no problems. You can find free sites online that will sort out the background too if its not perfect.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Donielad

used them once for my daugther passport which was fine in Tesco liffey Valley and for myself Stephen's Green SC, the passport site wouldnt accept the code, the helpline is non existent - none answers during the opening hours. Maybe try a differnt provider or DIY it?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There's problem with transferring the photos as the moment. Photo me have a notice up on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ie2023

I realise this is an old post but just in case someone else comes across it and wants to know the answer, I went to a photo-me booth in Dublin, got the "unique passport photo code", went to the dfa.ie passport online, and went through the first few screens (I said I was born in Ireland although I'm not actually eligible for an Irish passport) and got as far as the "Your photo has been retrieved" "Submit photo" screen and at that point I could save the photo.

(I found a similar question and answer about the UK photo-me booths and retrieving the photo using the UK passport site and hoped that the same would work in Ireland - which I'm pleased to report it does

https://www.reddit.com/r/uktravel/comments/1c9vwiv/photome_passport_photo/?rdt=49554

)

Advertisement