Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Firstly I respectfully disagree with your thesis. But indeed until it’s actually considered in law, rather than possible scenarios none of CNN try us can be sure on how it would play out. I often here from people who say that a hard border is not a breach of international follow up that with a question ‘where does it refer to a hard border in the Belfast Agreement’. But let’s start from first principles, the Belfast Agreement is predicated on there not being a hard border. Use of words like Cross Border and Freemovement are peppered through out to bolster that.

The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.

During the Troubles there were heavily fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border. They were frequently attacked by Republican paramilitaries.

Part of the peace deal involved the UK government agreeing to a process of removing those installations in what became known as "demilitarisation".

The agreement states that "the development of a peaceful environment... can and should mean a normalisation of security arrangements and practices."

The government committed to "as early a return as possible to normal security arrangements in Northern Ireland, consistent with the level of threat".

That included "the removal of security installations". That is as far as the text goes.

The agreement contains a commitment by the British and Irish governments to develop "close cooperation between their countries as friendly neighbours and as partners in the European Union" - of course, there was no inkling back in 1998 that the UK would vote to leave the EU 18 years later.

But there are no specific commitments about what that should involve in regard to the border.

The cross-border strand of the agreement lays out 12 areas of cooperation, which are overseen by the North-South Ministerial Council (NSMC).

It could be argued that a hard border would make that strand of the agreement more difficult to operate.

Additionally, a section on economic issues states that, pending devolution, the British government should progress a regional development strategy that tackles "the problems of a divided society and social cohesion in urban, rural and border areas".

It could be argued that a hard border would conflict with the spirit of that part of the agreement but again there is no specific prohibition.

Let me present the opinion of an expert:

Saving Good Friday

The Good Friday Agreement is made up of two parts – the Multi-party agreement between most of the political parties (but not the DUP) and the British-Irish Agreement between the two governments.

This second Agreement is the international treaty between sovereign states, registered with the UN. The British-Irish Agreement’s function is to uphold the multi-party agreement. So changing the treaty would logically require a new multi-party agreement.

In terms of Brexit impact Strand 2 is most significant. It sets out that the North-South Ministerial Council, which promotes all-island cooperation, will “consider the European Union dimension of relevant matters, including the implementation of EU policies and programmes…”

Article 27 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, states: “A party may not invoke the provisions of its internal law as justification for its failure to perform a treaty.” So Britain cannot, under international law, set aside the GFA because it voted for Brexit.

So the “peace dividend” disappears and work on community regeneration and reconciliation loses funding just at the time a hard border becomes a very real possibility.

Also at risk the Special EU Programmes Body which was one of the North-South implementation bodies set up under the GFA and delivery agent for the EU Programme for Peace and Reconciliation in the north. No EU, No SEUPB. No money.

when a 20 year process which has allowed people to begin to express their identity, culture and tradition is eroded, then you undermine the process of peace.

The workability of the Good Friday Agreement is as much about what it signifies as what it says. It signifies compromise, recognition and acceptance and a pledge to work together for the common good.

Exactly the opposite of what a hard border does, in fact.

I think the issue is that we won’t know if the erection of a hard border will be a breach of international law because it’s dependent on what happens after and due to its erection rather than the erection itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Well yes Seth, i would expect stake holders such as Dairies, Transport companies, meat processors, IrishRail, AGS and even local farmers be consulted in various capacities.

You don't really expect some civil servants across a smattering of departments to design a complex and multi-layered border with over 400 cross points (today) to figure it all out in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What would be they point of these consultations?

No one you just listed could change any rules on goods or the shape of the border. For instance we only have 1 single rail crossing with the North so what the F are Iarnrod Eireann going to contribute.

The Gardai I am sure are already being consulted and even before Brexit were active and up to date on the border

Well breezy1985 if a border means they'll have to check passports of people, then there has to be a decision as to where that will occur.

That is likely where the input of IrishRail would be most valuable.

The stakeholders are involved in major design decisions in various capacities depending on their role.

Perhaps to inform stakeholders of proposed locations where such and such checks will occur.

Perhaps to seek their input as to where THEY, as stakeholders, would see checks occurring.

No point in having 'away from border' checks for X if means inconveniencing major stakeholders burdened with extra distance, unnecessarily.

• Advertisement

Why would they be checking passports. Ending of the common travel area is not on the cards.

If that was such a thing it would happen either on a border stop or more likely at Connolly like every trans national train. It's a 5 minute meeting at best and one I'm sure someone at I.E. has probably been thinking about this already anyway and already has an answer when the government do ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

SNIP. Don't just paste tweets please. Thanks.

So is your point that stakeholders should not be consulted in such changes like a hardening of the border?

And that such decisions should be only made by civil servants and simply handed down to the little people?

It's weird point of view to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

He truly is amazing. So eloquent, so funny, so intelligent but what I like about him most is when a guest (and that includes a regular joe soap) can teach him something or has knowledge that James doesn’t have, he will sit down and be schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dublin49

The Brexit Blindfold ,really captures the essence of the Boris era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

To suspend the trade agreement 9 months notice needs to be given and to terminate it (which either side can do) you need to give 12 month notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

We had plans for a hard Brexit in place and there is ongoing discussion on what to do when the UK trigger A16.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Reacting to the survey, Sir Jeffrey said he did not agree that people do not care about the protocol, saying it was a "big issue for many people, particularly those businesses that are being harmed".So business is apparently being harmed by the NIP. This is from the BBC.

No my point is its futile because they or these mythical civil servants (shades of the unelected bureaucrats talk from you there) will get to decide anything.

The government along with the UK and EU decided already what the border or lack of will look like and unless that treaty changes or is broken there is no point whatsoever in consulting anyone because we won't know the new situation. And even then it won't be civil servants or milk farmers deciding anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Yes correct: if UK reneges on NIP, we have years for discussing with stakeholders the best ways to implement the border. What is to be gained by tipping our hand now? To help the DUP claim Ireland is happy with a border anyway? To help the UK work out which pressure points put most pressure on the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Peter Foster of the FT has a good thread on what Johnson and Frost are up to. He says they think they can somehow initially disable or banjax the Protocol, that time will drag on and eventually the EU will have no choice but to accept the new status quo and watered down Protocol.

But he warns that the EU will almost certainly fight fire with fire and retaliate immediately (in whatever way they see fit), making this a huge gamble by the Brexiteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

I'd go with years of engagement and consultation for political cover if nothing else. That and EU planning regulations including environmental assessment for physical infrastructure. Border counties know all about the process, and its requirements, from the North South Interconnector project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I’m from Dundalk. And today I went for lunch in Killeavy Castle. I went by one route and came back by another. ( neither of which was by way of the M1/N1) it was as natural as going ( say) to Carlingford.. Except I crossed an imaginary border( more then once)

Killeavy Castle is lovely btw.

There will be no hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

The only purpose of Boris threatening to trigger A16 is just to keep EU bashing alive to distract from the lack of Brexit benefits for Brexit voters.

Who honestly thinks Johnson will man a 500Km customs border with the EU when he can't even get vets to man British ports?

Anyone pushing that we should have a hard border ready now is actually pro DUP who wanted to undo the GFA via Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Some NI businesses are harmed by the NIP, particularly those which buy goods in GB and sell them in NI. All NI businesses, however, are harmed by Brexit; the NIP intensifies that harm for some of them but mitigates it for others, and on balance the mitigations vastly outweigh the intensifications. NI businesses as a whole would do much, much worse if they were subject to full-blooded brexit, than to Brexit mitigated by the protocol. In economic terms, NI is much better off with the Protocol than it would be without it. Objections to the protocol are poilitical, not economic, and Brexit supporters who pretend to be concerned about the health of business are obvious hypocrites anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Reacting to the survey, Sir Jeffrey said he did not agree that people do not care about the protocol, saying it was a "big issue for many people, particularly those businesses that are being harmed".So business is apparently being harmed by the NIP. This is from the BBC.

I would read that as those businesses that are being harmed by Brexit see the protocol as a big issue, not that the protocol is harming the businesses. Its a bit ambiguous though and could read either way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You could consider four types of business transaction for a company in NI.

1. Import from GB but substitute from NI, like NI sausages that are like British sausages
    2. import from GB but substitute by import from Ireland/EU, like beef or cheddar cheese.
    3. import from EU via GB, but substitute via Ireland, like German cars and parts.
    4. Or the one that affects businesses in NI, import from GB but cannot substitute anywhere, like British sausages.

I cannot think of a product that cannot be substituted with an EU product that has not been dealt with in the most recent EU proposals.

Well just looking at sausages you see how purely political it is. No difference between a GB and an EU sausage other than the flag on the packet and importing from the EU would have no impact on someone's breakfast

At the risk of going slightly off topic, it's noticeable how the Brexiteers and the right wing Brexit press are now moving onto a new hobby horse of climate change denial and trying to halt the move to zero emissions (even looking for a referendum on the subject).

I'm not trying to start a discussion about climate change - just picking up on how the usual suspects seem to have found their new 'successor to Brexit'. Perhaps even they think A16 and trade wars with the EU only have a limited shelf life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Talking about sausages, Irish ones are of a similar type to GB sausages, and some - like the Super Quin ones, are substantially better.

NI sausages are also at least as good, and I am sure they would be preferred by NI people. They could even put flags on them if that made them taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Well, at least they have the heat from their sovereign tea to keep themselves warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

I look occasionally at the turbulent times blog for a very Right Wig viewpoint, and immigration and arguing against moving to zero emissions are now their chosen hobby horses. On immigration they want a minimum of 1,000 deportations a week, and they want a REFERENDUM on zero emissions targets. Wouldn't surprise me if Boris ran with the second one, imagine the deflection he could achive while a referendum campaign was going on..

Yes, it's very interesting to watch. The 'Brexit media' have a new hobby horse : man made climate change is mostly a hoax, zero emissions strategy will wipe out the UK economy etc : 'Let's have a referendum to halt the whole thing' (zero emissions). There was always going to be major overlap here. Interesting though that they are going into the area of total climate change denial in order to justify it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, there is a kernel of "logic" behind this new narrative. The Economy is in the toilet through brexit and a right leaning solution would be that classic tactic fond of all those ideologically inclined that way: slash regulations. Well. Not so much slashing being proposed as it is a complete deconstruction in the face of oncoming disaster. I'm not saying this would be a good thing of course; it'd be a calamity for the environment, workers rights, health and safety, and so on. But as a capitalist way to solve a slumping economy? It's vicious, but would enrich those most championing it while I suspect garnering a depressing amount of popular support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

"Insofar as the economy isn't great after brexit, it is because of the EU bullying plucky Britain & insofar as it's not that, it's these silly climate change rules".

Advertisement