Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

And how exactly are sure it’s NOT going to have a negative affect on children ? What’s their ability to cope etc got to do with shoving a rag on their mouth and nose like some kind of animals.

All the while hilariously the teachers , parents and grandparents are virtually all vaccinated. Total lunacy that this is even being contemplated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are doctors animals?

Dentists?

Nurses?

Their parents going shopping?

Why does putting a mask on an older child - children who might wear for example helmets when playing sports or cycling - make them animals?

Rags?

A human being takes on burdens to protect other humans in their community in response to threats.

You have to resort to perjorative language cos your argument has nothing else to back it up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I hope you are right and we do eventually treat Covid appropriately.

But when you see people arguing for masks on kids when we’ve not even had a single death in that demographic then it’s hard to know when these sort of people would accept that it’s safe.

We’ll need strong leaders to tell these people no.

Key word is 'currently'. I could easily see flu being treated the same way as covid.

How do you know they're temporary measures? It was supposed to be 'two weeks to flatten the curve'. That was almost two years ago.

Why do you want 8 year olds to wear masks when not 1 child has died of covid in Ireland? Did you ever in the past call for children to wear masks during flu season? Flu is more dangerous to children than covid.

And why would the 1st of February be a form end date? The " emergency measures" have been extended again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I see, so you have nothing to say. Just repeating some nonsense backed up by strong words..

Children have died from covid. If not here, then in other countries.

Flu is more deadly for children but covid has the potential to overwhelm public health services in a way that flu does not - public health capacity that is needed to treat all citizens, including children, for covid and other injuries and illnesses. Those are the stakes and always have been.

If you want to talk about other benefits for children, well how many school days are missed if they are a suspected or actual covid case and the same for teachers. Masks would reduce the risk of interruption to their education. Masks would ALSO protect against flu transmission until kids are older and better able to respond to it \ process the vaccination - as a temporary measure during the current emergency while medical services are under severe strain. So masks for school children right now make sense and the evidence from Arizona shows how they reduce outbreaks.

My whole thing is that I don't believe masks are a temporary measure. I see no evidence of their being a temporary measure. If close to 100% of the adult population being doesn't get rid of them then they never go.

Do you think there would be any downsides to primary children wearing masks in school? Do you think it would be easy or difficult for them to learn wearing a mask?

Do you think children should wear masks every flu season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

What kind of psycho would want emotionally developing 8 year old children (some with social skills already harmed because of previous school closures) to be mandated with mask wearing.

Emotional development doesn't stop at 13.

To Gortanna: There's no evidence mask wearing is permanent!

Post edited by xhomelezz on

• Advertisement

Every flu season no, where we have flu & covid OR something novel like swine flu.

I think masks wouldn't be an issue for the majority of classes, but could complicate languages, pronunciation, music that kind of thing. Those complications could be mitigated by homework and the advances in use of phone, digital devices etc for audio homework. Things not readily available during my schooldays.

I think masks are an important but temporary measure. I would prefer if the long term focus was not on masks but on better ventilation, air filtration, portable air filter systems in workplaces, schools, nightclubs etc. I think a portable air filtration unit in a nightclub to be much more useful measure than limited mask wearing.

How do you know they're temporary measures? It was supposed to be 'two weeks to flatten the curve'. That was almost two years ago.

Still exagerating I see. We are nowhere near almost 2 years with masks and when was it ever just for 2 weeks to flatten the curve?

Why do you want 8 year olds to wear masks when not 1 child has died of covid in Ireland?

I could answer that with why do you want to risk a child dying from a completely preventable disease like Covid in Ireland? With over 100 deaths in children in the UK are odds are decreasing day by day, particularly with these high cases.

And why would the 1st of February be a form end date? The " emergency measures" have been extended again and again.

Maybe I should have said the 2nd week in March? Why do you think I said Feb 1st? A snap masking. short and sweet. Children take to it easier than parents think, FACT. Mandatory could drop to reccommended from there.

How do you suggest we protect children? Like I said it was not my first preference decision, I adapted due to poor data collecting, I would have much preferred a data based ramp on ramp off approach, then people know an end date, they have a reward for masking don't they, an incentive if you will to do it proper, no chins and noses about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭User1998

So kids should wear masks because somewhere in the world a child has died of covid.

I think you should read the post you replied to again.

Should we wait for an Irish kid to die even though we know from global experience covid kills kids?

That is usually what happens here... we wait for someone to die even though we could have easily prevented it by paying attention to what happened elsewhere.

Hundreds of kids have died in the US from covid. Not 'a child'.

But as I said the main reason for kids to wear masks is to protect the public health and education systems and staff, which they benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Masks should only be used in health care settings. Wearing them to the shops to get a pint of milk is just a charade. Absolutely pointless.

All the available evidence - lab studies on mechanism of mask action, real world contact tracing examples and studies from multiple locations and settings as cited on this thread prove otherwise.

Its neither pointless nor a magic bullet, but a low cost effective measure to reduce cases and outbreaks.

Thats not just my verdict but that of every major health authority in the world.

I worked it out in a post before and its genuinely something like 0.00000001% of kids die from covid. Wearing masks to protect such a small percentage is ridiculous

I wonder why there are so many cases lately despite all the mask wearing. Its as if mask wearing doesn’t really do much in the real world

Back to old argument, mask is working only on hospital grounds, right.

• Advertisement

So you accept covid can kill children.

Therefore you might consider it over cautious to wear masks but it is of potential small direct benefit to them and so not pointless.

And mask wearing for covid also helps protect kids from flu.

Then we consider mask wearing also helps to protect their teachers, reduces risk of missing school days.. and my previous points re the public health system...

So hardly ridiculous. Now if we cant vaccinate kids in that age bracket maybe we will reach a point where it makes sense for kids to go through herd immunity of covid, with its attendant risks. But I dont think its an obvious call. Each have their pros and cons.

I worked it out to the point you still didn't bother to read the post you originally replied to.

We were told last year that it was 'just two weeks to flatten the curve'. Maybe they misspoke and meant 'just two years to flatten the curve'.

I notice in your posts that there's never any regard for how important it is to be able to see other people's faces. And not just in the case of school children. It's part of being human. It matters. It has to matter. I just can't get to the point that seeing a child wearing a mask can ever be considered to be a good thing, under any circumstances. I just can't there.

We protect them by allowing them to be human, to laugh, to smile, to be happy. Now, I expect the reply will be 'no point in smiling if you're on a ventilator', but the risk is practically non-existent. People have to be human. The face is the person really. It makes us unique.

We're almost two years into 'temporary measures' with no end in sight. It's not realistic to believe that it would be 'short and sweet'. Every other measure hasn't been 'short and sweet'. In fact, it is increasingly clear that they are not temporary measures.

I agree, but would even rather they were options in health care settings too. I see nothing wrong with them being optional. 99% of people would wear them anyway.

Do you wonder why people are still dying in car crashes even though we have seatbelts and air bags and other safety features?

Are you aware of the Delta variant?

Consider if you can what the case count would be if we were only dealing with Alpha variant versus vaccined and masks.

Now consider what the case count would be for Delta variant without vaccines and masks.

There, you will have answered your own question

So all the PPE gear should be optional too, going by that logic. Insurance companies are gonna love you.

I'm sorry Gortanna, but you are playing games as usual. You've done it before on this thread and nothing changed. I give you thumbs up for being polite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Which other measures are still in place, except for masks in a few limited situations?

Where are the examples of permanent mask wearing elsewhere in the world that has you so worries you'll be told to keep it on permanently and never see anyone's face again?

Sure you "genuinely" worked it out to something like 0.00000001%

123,000 deaths in England with 100 of them being children.

Answer looks a lot more like .0813% just incase you decide to post that again elsewhere.

• Advertisement

We were talking about the USA, not the UK. And I don’t mean of those who get covid and die, I mean the percentage of children who have died with covid.

So 100 out of 11 million in the UK.

Advertisement