Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ros na Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah I find the old storylines much more plausible and less convoluted than many of the newer ones.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Promo for new season!

Good episode tonight. Anyone else think they recognise Briain's doctor from somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes! Don't know from where though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Did we meet Katie's new boyfriend before? I feel like I missed an episode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭maureencol

I hate the way they show men as having no control. Fiach and Emma??? It's not believable.

Yeah I thought exactly the same assumed I missed an episode. Hadn’t a clue who he was.

I see what you mean now just caught up with the latest episode. Fiach standing there like a helpless lost pup. Yet in another storyline he was integral in codding Dee with a fake memory stick to show Mack that she was poisoning Katy. He is supposed to be an intelligent single minded character.

Yet here he is folding and being manipulated by Emma.

Did I miss something with Rory and Emma?? I didn't realise things were bad between them.

Delighted that footage has been found!

Yes, I was wondering the same. But as bad as Rory is, he is seeing how much worse Emma is .. taking delight in destroying people's lives. I don't think he has stooped that low. And yeah! Briain has been found out. Wonder if they will get Sorcha to talk and then tell about the hit and run.

• Advertisement

I can't stand Dee. I wonder what she's up to this time. I would much rather see Katie back.

Dee is up to something for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cait Nic Run

Dia daoibh!

Long time lurker, new member...I should probably check the forum rules again because this last episode makes me want to #!*%@!

Are the writers trying to rehabilitate Dee without making her apologize for gas lighting the whole village into hopping on her Katie revenge bandwagon? Caitriona of all people should be calling her out, not to mention the whole drugged Mack could have killed him thing which is certainly a criminal offence.

Anyway it's great to be here!

Season 4 episode 1 up on youtube tonight.

Rinne mé dearmad go bhféadfadh Evan a bheith ina amadan.

Hot headed, jumping to conclusions, oh have we missed you, Evan. Why does he believe Briain without even trying to ask Bernie what happened?

I think they are writing themselves into corners that Evan /Brian/Berni storyline was unbelievable. As is the storyline about Dee been welcomed back by her family.

It makes Evan seem like a moron all of a sudden. And seems uncharacteristic as he was always protective of his mother at the best of times.

Dee STILL seems to be able to do what she likes unchallenged by her family.

Particularly when contrasted with John Joes treatment of his other daughter Katy makes no sense. Especially when we were led to believe that in the past Dee was not close to her family and was more keen hanging out with the rich Kennedy neighbours in Donegal during her childhood.

I liked the Tadhg/Caoilfhionn/Rory dynamic though. That should be a good storyline. They did it well last episode with Rory shaking his head in the background when Caoilfhionn was working her basketball angle on Aine.

Ros na Run facts with ‘Evan’ and ‘Caoilfhionn’

Great interview. I struggled to keep up through most of it, then bam! Near the end I had a couple of liofa moments.

The Dee thing drives me spare. After all the ups and downs I would just be happy if the writers committed to her:

1. Apologizing to Katie in some public or publicized capacity.
    2. Serving some time/community service for poisoning Mack. She could have killed him. And perhaps lose her law licence?
    3. And it wouldn't be too remiss of HER to go into either a mental health facility or at least be in state mandated counseling.

Especially as I suspect the Briain/Berne story is driven by the writers/actors wanting to call attention to A Very Important Issue. I can't prove that, but rape plots are so lurid and over done, especially in soaps, and they are otherwise being realistic and respectful of the subject here. Imho. So I will grit my teeth and put up with it.

But by the same token, domestic dysfunction should not be allowed to slide, especially gaslighting Mack as being a "drama king".

I'm also not wild about the apparent rehabilitation of Rory in progress. Sure, he's not as nasty as Emma, but he took advantage of people's naivete and outright lied to Michelle and was only really bothered after he got caught. He's not evil, but he's weak and Michelle deserves better. Fiach flouncing off in a huff seemed over blown and out of character.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the last two episodes things are finally moving along, with the Dee drugging storyline. No mention of how Katy claimed she was drugged by Dee in the past.

The Evan/Briain storyline is going well.

And in the old RnR's from the 90's - Coilin gets a bargain (I won't say what)- I found that bit hilarious.

Retro RnR is almost driving me as spare as the current season. FFS Vanessa and Bernie: just rat Andy out!

Especially Bernie. She was working at Tadgh's when Andy popped up. If there's one thing lecherous, homophobic, misanthrope old Tadgh is good for it's bringing on a brutal kicking.

Current RnR is at least advancing some plots. It looks like Deirdre is getting delusional and misty eyed with the possibility of her and Mack getting back together. I see an attempt to murder whoever Mack is dating in the future.

BTW: what's the thread policy on spoilers? Not that is seems to matter. Things got pretty dead....

On the Mack v Dee issue. You could be right about the Murder idea. But in the promo it appears Mack is being driven to breaking point and he could be the one ready to snap.

As for the latest episode - Coili Jackie is a legend of a character. As he said himself - he's still got it.

Re: Mack

Well, remember this is the woman who successfully gaslighted her sister as a crazed amphetamine addict and dangerous parent. I would not put it past Dee to kill Sonia and set it up in such a way to gaslight Mack.

If the writers are being consistent--big if sometimes-- the constant is Dee's emotional instability AND her feelings of entitlement, up to and including getting away with it. Because it's everyone else's fault she's not living her fairytale life a la Geena(Gina?) Kennedy.

Mack has been an obsessive dick in his time, especially when he was stalking Ali as a troubled teen. But these days when he breaks down, he's mostly stupid drunk and self destructive.

Now the writers have established he's reaching out for legal assistance, hopefully that scene is just a private" WTF Now Dee?" moment after some Dee cray-cray and not a sign he's really screwed himself.

I don't mind the writers picking up the "That Crazy Dee in RnR Part II" storyline as long as they don't drag it out past it's sell-buy like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Very good this week, what's going to happen to briain I wonder?!

Yeah, I just caught up there. It was all very well acted nice little subtleties in it. Even though the Dee storyline is beyond stupid at this stage. They seemed to have Dee's character boxed into a corner and have no idea what to do with her now.

As another poster said it would be great to see Katy back, given how she was unjustly treated by so many characters in the show.

As for Briain here is my guess the village turns against him. But because the evidence was leaked it can no longer be used to prosecute him? I would be more interested in the Ceannfort O'Shea v Caolfhionn dynamic. O'Shea will no well it was her who leaked the evidence after a while and chatting with Tony. Then she has to make a decision whether to uphold the law, and prosecute her own daughter.

Dee: For one hot second I thought she was on her way to responsibility/recovery. Then she made those digs about Mack to Sonia, trying to burn it down on her way out. So seems like we're in for the long hall with the Dee-cray-cray.

Briain: A Mhaighean. We can hope he's ostracized/driven out on a rail? Did Caolfhionn return the evidence? Obvs it was her, but if they can't prove it or at least can prove the Guarda didn't authorize it, the best Briain can hope for is not being charged.

Not sure how he thinks his "I'm outraged people think I attack women because someone leaked footage of me attacking a woman" strategy is a good play tho...

When Dee was walking in the water I thought it was a nice homage to Yvonne's character all those years ago in 1990's RnR when she walked into the sea. I was thinking they would have been better off to kill off Dee's character at this stage. The writers have completely ruined what was previously a well rounded and nuanced character in the show IMO. It is pantomime stuff now, just in time for Christmas!

They have done a great job on Briain's character though. very consistent and more subtle - believable

I was watching the 1990's RnR, and I think Season Season 4 Episode 10 must go down as one of the all time great RnR episodes.

It involves a family funeral in Mayo for Tom Doherty (Séan O'Tárpaigh) and Carmel Doherty (Carmel Stephens). The other main character in the episode was their father PJ Doherty (Peadar Lamb).

It was just the characters Tom and Carmel for the most part on the journey back to Mayo. With PJ in the old homestead.

It worked brilliantly with just the three actors carrying the episode. it was kept simple and very realistic. But it was deceptively well written and not clunky at all. But it seemed very natural. It did not feel like I was watching a soap at all. It seemed more like a half hour play.

For those who have not caught up with the previous old RnR's it does not really ruin/giveaway any previous storylines.

The way they mix the Irish and English in conversation added to the natural vibe of it, as well IMO. RnR should return to that.

• Advertisement

What is Greg up to with Vince??

Advertisement