Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault at high school in the State of Virginia.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Tis' a brave new world!

"When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show!"

I genuinely think, that some people's brains are hardwired to embrace all things weird and quirky. (and not the good kind of quirky either) It's like their entire view of what life should be, is taken directly out of a bad science fiction novel.

Trying to reason with people like this is rather futile. Just sit back and enjoy the show!

*Just to clarify, I know some people are inclined to seek out offence very easily. I am in no way suggesting that trans people are freaks. Just in case people interpret my remarks that way*

It's more a general observation on people's world/societal view. And their desire to embrace all things non conformist pretty much just for the sake of it. The more weird whacky or different the better - regardless of whether it's a positive development.

I would consider biological males in women's toilets/dressing rooms or sports/athletic events, to be one of these new strange whacky societal developments. But not one of the good ones.

It's not simply a case of people just getting used to it, and then it will become normal. I don't think I will ever get used to seeing a biological male destroying the field in a women's sports event for example.

Possibly a good solution to the toilet situation, would be for trans people to use disabled toilets. Or when building facilities for disabled people, simply add a small room right next to the disabled toilet for trans people. I don't think it would be a major problem, as trans people are a tiny minority of the population so it wouldn't be a big headache. And they could be used as changing rooms too.

I'm not saying trans people are disabled, but you could very easily extend the definition of special needs to include trans people. They would qualify as having slightly different needs to the rest of society.

Post edited by Shao Kahn on

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The term "additional risk" is important here.

Anyone seeing the issue from this perspective is being labeled as transphobic when that isn't really an issue for any reasonable person.

There are people who will take this as an opportunity to bash the trans community, but it's also reasonable to observe that there are plenty of posters here using this as an excuse to wheel out their moral indignation against anything they find offensive (the bar for which at this stage has been proven to be set very low).

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

That is because, of course, some do not want their deeply held beliefs in any way challenged, even if they are evidently wrong. It's why one cannot post down a biological reality without being accused of trolling and being transphobic.

Oh, I agree with you. Completely.

However, the point stands that blurring the lines regarding social norms makes the lives of women more risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Sick of hearing about these people in the media. Absolute tiny minority.

They may have an issue of some psychologial/psychiatric/physical imbalance which causes a disability to integrate into contemporary society. Fair enough.

We can afford to adapt, but only up to a point. And that point will of course be 'not good enough', in the same way things arent good enough for any of the rest of us.

Pick a group. Pensioners, unemployed, high tax payers, students, nurses, corporations, fathers, left, right, center, its always not good enough.

Use the disabled toilet.

Large public facility, the disabled toilet will have a shower. Use that.

Want to be called zee. Ask. If told no then ask to be referred to by name, or not referred to at all.

Im sick of underdog/minority groups/marginal groups milking their story for more than its worth. Like their problem is a bottomless well.

Oh i have one foot.

- ok we'll get you a prosthetic.

Thats a start, but I will need a house beside a train station too, and a chauffeur just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I don't know i've used plenty of unisex public toilets and can imagine a time when they become the norm.

Let sex-segregated facilities become an anachronism found only in backwater countries still under the grip of medieval religious dogma, such as the ME.

Perhaps you can see unisex become the norm, but they've been around, in various countries for decades, and still haven't become the norm. I can remember encountering them in France when I was a kid. Hilarious. 30 years later, segregated toilets are still the norm.

Why? Because most people prefer to have some separation between the genders. We like being able to get naked without having to feel embarrassed over our sagging bellies, or broken veins. Just as we like being able to grunt, moan, or whatever when we're taking a ****, and not come out to face a gorgeous woman.

I don't want unisex toilets or changing rooms to become the norm. I don't see the value in such a thing, and I like that society has a range of social norms, and boundaries on behavior. I realise that the new generations like the freedom to act or live however they wish, but I've noticed they don't like facing up to the range of problems associated with the lack of boundaries or social norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I have. One would've assumed that there would be toilets assigned solely for staff in schools over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most of the people complaining about ideological beliefs and race theories I would bet fall in to one of two categories. They know that history has been favourable to their kind and doesn't want that to change. Or they are like this guy.

Boy allegedly raped a girl.

Boy should be investigated and tried.

Very **** simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I find this very hard to understand - why was nothing done after the first attack, why was he wearing a skirt (there's no mention of trans in the links)? Was this just for easier access to victims? Not sure why trans is part of this discussion. TBH in school I think male toilets are for biological males and female toilets are for biological females end of - unless you have had a sex change which at those age should not be happening

He just sounds like a sexual predator which at 14 years old is pretty scary

There doesn’t seem to be any actual vetting on the GRC, but then how could there be if it is self declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What? How can you declare yourself the opposite gender with no proof?

Gender identity isn’t considered a medical condition. There is something called gender dysphoria which was (and is in some countries) the only way to get a GRC. This does involve some medical opinion. In Ireland there’s no such need, in fact the need for a doctors consultation or exemption for sports was removed during readings of the bill.

Can you go two posts without insulting those you don't agree with?

Deeply held? It’s entirely fashionable belief.

And these are only just some the reported cases we know of.

As is so often the case with sexual abuse, a lot of it goes unreported.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You might have misunderstood me. I do care as much about the hurt feelings of “genuine” trans or whatever people, as I do care about the plight of victims of any predator’s assault, no matter their perceived sexuality or excuse. Not at all.

What does piss me off though is how everything has to be turned into a crusade now to stroke some poor soul's ego.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

Where's the insult?

The reality is right there in front of you.

Would it be an insult to say you're reacting all very snowflakey to having someone point out this reality? You've all started to try to run with the narrative that any disagreement of your position is an insult.

Report the posts if you think they are such, or get over it.

• Advertisement

You don't see any hypocrisy in you seeing in constantly claiming I am insulting posters (just because I counter their points) and being the only poster who thanked a post on another thread yesterday where the poster called people on the Left 'Utterly evil human beings'?

Pick a lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If anyone wants to read the actual facts of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It's not just prisoners though. What about female prison guards? Aren't they entitled to protection from someone like that too?

He's housed in the female estate, but has to be treated like a violent man. Staff, and indeed the whole organisation, on the female estate are not set up to do that.

The basic question here is, do you really believe he is a woman and if so, why? If he isn't, he shouldn't be there, full stop.

All prison officers are entitled to protection from all prisoners.

And the question isn't whether I believe this person is female or not, my opinion is not important or relevant. The courts decision is the relevant one.

The court has no choice: in Ireland, the law on self declaration from 2015 means that anyone who declares themselves to be female is entitled to be treated as one, even someone about whom there are real doubts such as this person.

Do you agree that female prisons or sections are not geared up for dealing with the level of violence that male prison wings might have, and also that there will be a higher number of female staff in them, so that in practice female staff are less safe from a violent male in the female section?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Even when the experts say they are not actually trans but extremely manipulative ..

Yet a judge decided he knew better or was afraid of being labelled transphobic by so called self anointed activists

The courts have a massive amount of choice in this country. If there is an issue with a law, the courts can strike down that law.

As I recall, the judge said she had no choice in the matter.

A lot of the original articles have been taken down (what was that about there being no attempt to silence discussion?) but I found this archived somewhere:

"In 2019 the Law Society Gazette quoted criminal defence lawyer Robert Purcell as saying that the 2015 Act was “challenging” for the courts and the Irish Prison Service because there were “potentially” safety issues housing female inmates alongside “male-bodied prisoners.” Apparently the 2015 law “did not envisage this situation.”"

That sounds unlikely (except in some specific instances, perhaps, who knows?) Do you have any examples? Is this a general thing or exceptional? Can a judge just express disagreement with the law and strike it down? Why doesn't that happen regularly?

We wouldn't even need referendums if it were that simple to get rid of a bad law.

And perhaps you hadn't seen my quote above, where the Law Society doesn't seem to agree with you. Unless you have higher legal qualifications than that, I think we can assume they can't just do that willy nilly, and couldn't do it in this case.

• Advertisement

Usually happens if a law is unconstitutional. If course, before a law is passed it should be studied enough to ensure that wouldn't happen. However, it can and does happen.

judges can also comment on laws, suggest they are unsafe for certain reasons.

Look in not trying to justify this person being imprisoned in a female prison, it is what the law says it is. If someone, for example, the Irish prison service, are unhappy for whatever reason, then they need to do something about it. Governments regularly amend laws. Perhaps their representative association need to make noise.

It comes into play way before that also, let's say a trans woman is arrested, for anything, on arrival to station, who deals with them? Who searches them? Male or female gardai? Who decides, the prisoner? The guard?

There are a whole pile of rules and guidelines that need to be looked into.

Just aside, referendums are held to change the constitution, nothing to do with laws. Laws are changed everyday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement