Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I know that road from Cork to Kerry. When you see those words 'go mall' on the road you're actually driving through the Cork Gaeltacht! By learning what 'go mall' means in school, there's a practical benefit for you!

But on a serious note, most people leave school with an A1/2 basic level of Irish, that's the equivalent of learning 500-1000 words. To be fluent at B2 level you need to know between 5000-8000 words, so realistically most people are a long way off having meaningful conversations by the time they leave school. No overnight miracles are going to happen through the school system.

Back on topic though, interesting words from Michael D today in this article:

https://tuairisc.ie/ta-se-in-am-na-laigi-ata-sa-statseirbhis-o-thaobh-na-gaeilge-de-a-leigheas-uachtaran-na-heireann/

TLDR: He was showing the German President around the set of Ros na Rún Tv Soap celebrating 25 years of TG4 and he called out the public service for not providing proper services through Irish.

Two things of interest here;

1. "Official" Ireland still prides out of Irish to foreign dignatories. There was something recently about Macron receiving a menu lately in Irish and French only as well. As long as this continues, how can the government realistically pull back resources or schooling in Irish?
    2. Kick up the ass message from Michael D will mean that the creeping prominence will continue to grow. Even if that is only box-ticking, then the level of box-ticking and the number of boxes to tick will continue to increase too. I would prefer genuine engagement but it's still going in the right direction.

Thanks. I put something into my dictionary as a keyboard shortcut way of typing "intellectually lazy and culturally narrow-minded monolingual English speakers". Unfortunately the shortcut doesn't work, and it seems like a waste of energy to type the long version out when the short version does the same task so competently. So noisy Anglos it is. I really appreciate your kind and thoughtful input, all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder, given the choice, what percentage of students would drop Irish for the leaving in favor of say a second science subject ?

that would be an interesting poll to have the results of...

i think about 70% might opt to do say physics & chemistry // biology & chemistry // physics & biology...etc.

its going to have a greater benefit to ‘most’ students from an education & career standpoint.....so why would you study hard at a difficult enough language, that 90% of us will never ‘require’ so much as a syllable of in our adult lifetime ?

It’s a labor intensive subject, it’s not easy to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you wish to advance your career it makes more sense to study a science subject or a modern language than waste 100s of hours studying Irish , if you live in a city you may never meet another fluent Irish speaker unless you look for them. Or spend time doing a basic pc course, learning excel , ms word, etc I think maybe 3 per cent of people speak Irish after secondary school unless they become a teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I see your point. Shoehorning "intellectually lazy and culturally narrow-minded monolingual English speakers" three times into every post must be tiring. Have you consdiered hotkeys?

Anyway, back on topic...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭rock22

Your approach to spreading the Irish language to those who cannot speak it is to insult them and call them names?

You're not an Irish teacher from my school of the 60's are you?

Because your approach brings back memories, none of them happy, about trying to learn Irish in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Imagine thinking because you don't speak Irish you mustn't speak anything other than English, talk about culturally narrow minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Monolingual English speakers from Ireland view the world from an extremely narrow prism, thinking that everyone "hasta" speak English and they refuse to believe that there are actual native speakers of Irish.

From their point of view native Irish speakers not only are an anomoly in Ireland, they don't exist and the wants and needs of tax-paying Irish-speaking citizens of this country are to be ignored and mocked. You would be taken more seriously if you suggested a unicorn protectionism drive.

For an English speaker from Ireland, Irish is only a school subject to be endlessly debated and something for the Irish speaker to beg recognition for. "Tell me more why we should learn Irish if it doesn't get you a job with the multinationals, Seamus" the English speaker drawls, sprawled out on a velvet Ottoman sofa, "you'll never convince me if you're not nice about it."

Quite an imagination you have there

You miss the biggest issue Irish people have with the Irish language, the way its taught

A personal example, I spent the same many years as others learning Irish and could barely string a sentence together when I left school such was my confusion with the language.

I went on to Uni where I took up Spanish as a new language and within 3 months I could speak more of it than I could in Irish. The approach taken in Uni was this, it doesnt matter if you cant speak perfectly, so long as the other person can understand what you are trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Yeah that has nothing to do with Irish in public spaces. That's just your own neuroses.

The fact of the matter is that Irish speakers are citizens of this country just like English speakers, and Irish is an Official Language of Ireland. Irish speakers never impose their language on anyone else and constantly need to battle English speakers in order to have their own rights as Irish speakers recognised. It is impossible for Irish speakers to have any conversation about their own rights as Irish speakers without monolingual English speakers blundering in, hoisting up their trousers to their armpits and moaning about Peig, or "de way its taught", or that roadsigns in Irish make their feelings hurt.

English speakers should learn that the Department of Education's Irish language curriculum doesn't represent Irish speakers and leave Irish speakers the **** alone.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here advocated not letting Irish speakers speak Irish among themselves? Most people here seem perfectly happy to let you speak a dying language amongst yourselves.

The fact of the matter is that Irish speakers are citizens of this country just like English speakers

Has anyone claimed otherwise? Nope

Irish is an Official Language of Ireland

Ok?

Irish speakers never impose their language on anyone else

The 13 years forced studying of the language is what if not an imposition?

It is impossible for Irish speakers to have any conversation about their own rights as Irish speakers without monolingual English speakers blundering in, hoisting up their trousers to their armpits and moaning about Peig, or "de way its taught", or that roadsigns in Irish make their feelings hurt.

As you say, "That's just your own neuroses"

leave Irish speakers the **** alone.

That's surprisingly easy given how few of you there are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"It is impossible for Irish speakers to have any conversation about their own rights as Irish speakers"

---- Exactly what rights are you talking about here?

If some people here would make an effort to increase their intellectual activity and broaden their cultural horizons a wee bit, I wouldn't need any dictionary or keyboard tricks.

Anyway, as you'd say yourself, back on topic...

I know a great many people who can't speak Irish. It's only the noisy Anglos who get called noisy Anglos.

I wasn't teaching waaaaay back in the 1960s, but in any case I'm not responsible for your bad memories.

I think most students if given the choice would go for something perceived as "easy", or something perceived as "lucrative" in terms of points. A few years ago the system identified a problem with the numbers doing higher level Mathematics, so a bonus scheme was introduced to give an extra 25 CAO points to those who did higher level and scored above a certain grade. Apparently it achieved the desired outcome.

If the system thinks learning Irish is a desirable outcome, but at the same time many people don't like it and don't wish it to be compulsory, perhaps the best way to "an dá thrá a fhreastal" (in English, to achieve conflicting objectives) would be to introduce a bonus scheme for higher level Leaving Cert Irish, while at the same time removing the mandatory requirement to sit the subject. That might work, though I suspect it would only work well if the LC programme was re-designed a bit to emphasise proper conversational ability - and of course it would also mean a continued need for Irish in the primary and Junior Cycle systems.

It would mean that those who wanted to put in the time and effort in Irish could do so and be rewarded, while those who'd prefer to avoid the language would no longer be required to study it, and could pick something else instead.

Not for the first time in this thread I would make the point that I'm not offering this as a proposal. I'm just pointing out an example (not the first) of a reasonable measure the system could evaluate and take to genuinely foster and encourage the Irish language among young people while offering an exit route for those who would rather not engage with it as a language or a school subject. I'd really like to see more young people attracted to the language and incentivised to use it, and I'm perfectly happy to see those who really want to avoid it given the opportunity to do so. Of course, I want those things to happen simultaneously - which I recognise won't be enough for you-know-who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I find it hard to believe Irish people cannot speak basic English as 95 per cent of TV radio media is English , of course someone could just speak Irish at home and their children would grow up speaking Irish but it seems that would be cruel to the child if they had no knowledge of English

A young person would have to avoid a media apart from tg4 in order to avoid English why would they do that. and of course most children speak English

I'm not an expert but I think there's very little emphasis on speaking Irish, eg student read books and story's in Irish but I don't know how Irish is taught after 2000 when I was at school. The teachers just read out parts of books and the books we read were like Peig all about miserable farming people eg no connection to modern life

I can't imagine trying to learn pc software programming or engineering if you could not read English

THIS is why I suggested dropping it as an exam subject and you got uppity and started throwing insults around the place: if people are doing it for extra CAO points, they aren't doing it the betterment of the language. Also, too much of a value of an unnesecary feature (assuming it's not a career that needs Irish, unlike teaching, in whcih case, fair enogh, I'd agree with you) the best people for the courses aren't actually getting the positions.

If you're going to harp on about "making an effort to increase... intellectual activy" then you kinda have to start losing the arrogance first.

Students who are talented an passionate about Irish already have the option to score bonus leaving cert points by sitting their exam in Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

which in itself is bollocks... if you sit the Geography exam, say honors. Your reward for the exam is the grade achieved ... nothing else.. you answer the questions correctly, you get a grade for your performance.extra marks for the language it’s sat in ? Bollocks !

id like to see somebody take a legal case... I’d imagine hands down they’d win as its actually discriminatory..

What if they do the exam sign language? Or in interpretive dance? How many extra marks for that?

Why are you so sensitive? You're the one speaking from (and for) the dominant cultural ethos, but you're crying like a victim.

And thanks for demonstrating my point. Irish speakers make reasonable suggestions, but even those get peed on by the noisy Anglos. With that kind of hostility, those of us who want to see the Irish language develop have every good reason not to pay the slightest heed to what they think.

... and there we go again with the ad homeinems!!

"Crying like a victim" -- "noisy anglos"...?

I highlighted two potential problems with your propsal:

1 - If people are doing it for extra CAO points, they aren't doing it the betterment of the langauge.

2 - It places too much of a value of an unnesecary feature.

There was no "crying like a victim" - there was a counter argument raised.

Your point was not "peed on" - it was challened with potential obstacles highlighted.

And it wasn't by a "noisy anglo", it was by me.

Now - do you wish to deal with the challenges I've presented or do you want to go down the road of condescending insults?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not everyone driving our roads learned Irish in school. French, British, German tourists, Polish lorry drivers etc.

Irresponsible to have warning signs and notices in an obscure (to anyone outside this island) language because 'culture'.

You don't want me to deal with your points. If you did, you'd stop being so sensitive and acknowledge that I already have. What you want is for me to agree with you. I can do that, but you need to do some of the heavy lifting by saying something I can agree with. Otherwise, let's just disagree. I don't mind - though it seems to upset you. I'm not wasting any more time on your attention quest, so unless you've got something valuable to say on the topic of the thread...

• Advertisement

I'm surprised nobody has already done so. Anyway, whether someone takes a legal case or not it's a bad idea and shouldn't be the policy.

I've clearly pointed out why your idea won't work and why creates resentment and inequality, beyond that there's not much else I can do.

The problem here is that you're projecting. You accuse other people of being overly sensitive when they encounter opinions they don't like and being "Noisy Anglos" when in fact, it is YOU who is being sensitive and resporting to pathetic insults because YOU encoutered opinions YOU don't like (eg - my rebuttal of your suggestion) and being a "Noisy Gael".

Interesting argument.

If you are saying that Gaeltachts areas need to have English road signs imposed on them then it would be only fair that Galltacht areas need to have Irish road signs in them as well. Another argument for the status quo.

Because I'm sure your argument is really about the road safety and the "irresponsibility" of it all, let me reassure you there are are plenty of standard warning signs and yellow rumble strips on the road too 😏

I think it was said lately that the last monoglot Irish speaker hasn't died but they have been born.

It's worth pointing out that just like us native English speakers have to learn Irish for 13 years at school, it's the reverse for the native Irish speaker, they have to learn English for 13 years too.

I agree that it would be wrong if a child had no knowledge of English and in parellel I think it would be wrong if a child had no knowledge of Irish in Ireland. (any special cases aside).

I really think people should study the language map of Ireland from 150 years ago a bit more closely if they want to understand the decisions that were made in 1922 onwards regarding language education in Ireland. The East West divide then was a bit like the North South divide now.

If more people these days don't have an understanding or appreciation of this perhaps we should be making history mandatory for the leaving cert as well.

Relax the cacks @Strumms .

I remember at the time thinking I could get bonus marks if I did my leaving cert french paper in Irish because they published the Irish and English questions on the same paper!

It was 5% up to C grade and tapered down to zero after that, wasn't worth it.

What is it with people and legal cases on boards.ie? I'm being told on this thread to bring legal cases to get librarians to speak to me in Irish, you're wanting legal cases for bonus marks given for Irish.

The only winners are the lawyers. According to the law society "The practice of law through Irish is a growing boutique area of practice"; they even offer advanced law courses through Irish like this one: https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Clar-na-Gaeilge/Ardchursa-Cleachtadh-Dli-as-Gaeilge

At least it's good to see Irish keeping up with the changing trends in society.

• Advertisement

The bonus doesn't taper off any more. Granted, it seems students only get around 10 points on average but those in the 500+ range can get ahead of about 20% of the students that scored higher than them. That's a pretty decent advantage for the highly competitive places. Then when they do get those places they'll struggle to keep up unless the university course is also through Irish.

Google says the last known Irish monoglot died over 20 years ago.

English is a life-skill, Irish is not, so the reverse argument dies there. You'd find it impossible to find a non-Englush speaker under 40 in places like the Netherlands or Sweden, and they don't start learning until about 10 years old - let alone Ireland, which is a native-English speaking country.

Re History - we need less mandatory subjects, not more The curriculum needs to focus on who the students ARE and not what it thinks they should want to be.

You need to take that up with the poster I was replying to, but ultimately this depends on your defintion.

Is education being defined as something that should dictate to students who they are? In that case, yes, I am; but I disagree with the definition.

"Ignore all the evicence of your eyes and your ears and believe only what we tell you - it was the Party's final, most important command."

Since you were arguing against teaching history you would be more likely on the side of the Party in 1984.

Not sure why you're dragging me into whether you are "anti-education" to quote the poster. I'd love a good debate on the education topic but let's get back to business.

It's so ironic to quote Orwell's 1984. First in a debate where you are against learning history as a mandatory subject and second against a rights and respect measure (parity of Irish and English) that was introduced at the will of the people to address previous colonial wrongs done in the 19th century.

What about the writer who is the George Orwell of the Irish language? Wait, do you mean you never heard of him/her? Wait, do you want an Ireland where no one will ever hear of him/her by creating cultural barriers to entry?

Irish is as much a life skill as English in Ireland when it comes to culture, history, politics and soul. The majority of Irish people believed and continue to believe this.

How can Irish be considered a life skill if, and I'm being very generous here, 60% of the population don't have it?

I'm arguing against mandatory subjects (at least after the junior cert).

That's not anti-education and not against teaching history.

That's twice you've misread my argument - please don't go for the hat-trick.

(Also - FYI - they had history in Orwell's 1984 - it was a vital tool to create the hate they needed to stir up the population)

Talk about twisting arguments.

I mentioned you because you're the one imppsing an ethos onto students rather than letting them decided what is important for them and Who They Are as opposed to Whe The Are Told To Be.

How the hell does being against mandatory subects make it ironic to quote Orwell? The whole point of 1984 is to NOT be indoctrinated. The constitution arguemtn also diies on the basis that you think the will of the peopel never changes (just becuuse it once was, does not mean it always will be - there have been dozens of amendments to it since it was written).

Irish is not a life-skill. People go about their lives successfully and unhindered without Irish every day. The also experience cultures, are very knowledgaebale about history and vote without little to no knowledge of Irish.

As for the soul - well, who decides what is important for the soul? The State? We going back to 1984?

• Advertisement

As I said, Irish is as much a life skill as English in Ireland when it comes to culture, history, politics and soul.

Why do politians make such an effort to say a few words? Why is Michael D so popular? Why do so many people say they can speak Irish on the census when they don't speak it?

The answer to those questions is the same answer to yours.

Eh no - you haven't answered anything - you've just said the same thing again.

"Talk about twisting arguments"

Right back at ya PCB.

All I'm doing is defending the status quo, fully subject to democratic mandate, and I get compared to the State in 1984.

You got called out on it because you did it. And you're doing it again.

You did not defend the staus quo, you presented false arguments and misrepresented responces in order to oppose change.

You did not get compared to 1984, your idea that the State should decided what is important to the student got compared to 1984.

And as you have presented no challenges to these points three times in a row, I'm resting my case here. Have a nice day.

Soul is very nebulous term, I bet you use the "a country without a language is a country without a soul argument a lot" but the other three can be engaged with, more often than not, better through English than Irish. Politicians use a cúpla focail because it doesn't hurt them. It curries favour with a tiny minority while the majority mostly just roll their eyes as they necessarily repeat themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It isn't though. "As much a life skill as English"? Not way at all.

And that's the fundamental problem with Irish - the fact that it simply isn't needed by the vast majority of the population for the vast majority of their interactions.

The way it is taught is a problem, but the real issue is that people don't see the language used in a way that causes them to value it or become motivated to learn it.

I've made this point plenty of times before on boards, but the one sentence most people can still remember from Irish is 'An bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithreas?'. And why is that? Because you needed to be able to say that before you could go to the bathroom. Kids saw the value of it and learned it. They don't see the value of it in general, and don't learn it.

If people check my post history (almost impossible now, I know) they will see that I'm in no way anti-Irish language. but I am a realist about it.

The exact problem here is that it is not as much a life skill as English. That is what it needs to become, or at least, the level it needs to approach, for it to gain value outside some niche areas.

Attack is the best form of defense when you're cornered PCB. Bringing in Orwell was a bad debating move on this topic so the onus is on you to move on from that. Anyway, we can let the boards.ie audience judge on the matter.

When we clear the air of any suggestions of political oppression in this debate or in our proudly democratic island, let's go back to my main points which were

-why are people against against a rights and respect measure (parity of Irish and English) that was introduced at the will of the people to address previous colonial wrongs done in the 19th century.

-not learning Irish in school creates a cultural barrier to entry, when you recognize that Irish language is a powerhouse of Irish heritage

-Irish is as much a life skill as English in Ireland when it comes to culture, history, politics and soul. Politicians are practical people you know.

-The majority of Irish people believed and continue to believe that the Irish language matters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

There's no such thing as a 'Tír gan teanga'-it's just a vapid cliche of the type peddled by Gaelic fanatics.

It baffles me how the Irish people indulge the lies, contradictions and intrinsic irrationality of this Gaelic revival palaver which makes no sense at any level.

( The latest grotesquerie I heard was from the guy who runs TG4 - a certain Alan Esslemont- who wants TG4 to be funded on a par

with RTE . Fathom that. )

• Advertisement

You keep going back to Orwellian but the state you want to live in would in fact be Orwellian - teaching life skills while important isn’t education.

Advertisement