Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I think we were simply outclassed by Rovers tonight who, unfortunately, were value for the win. Some might criticise Bircham for being overly defensive in playing a 5/4/1 formation. I suppose that we'll never know how it might have gone had we been a bit more attacking but I can understand why Bircham took the approach he did. What was hugely disappointing, though, was that the first two Rovers goals were soft. We failed to deal with a fairly basic corner for the first and the second was similar(can't remember if that was another corner or just a cross!). We made it easy for them in the end and I hate seeing us lose to Rovers. Let's just hope Rovers can beat Harps. If so, it's still in our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are the players just deliberately going against Bircham at this stage? It seems to smack of some internal mutiny amongst a sizeable amount of players who have decided that they just dont like the manager and have collectively given up on the pitch. And his comments about being disgusted with them tonight is only going to make the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Great argument there. I was at the last couple of matches and the complete lack of effort from a lot, but not all, of the players was evident a mile off. Sloppy passing, poor frees, no real defending, you could pick up the hostility between these players and Bircham it was obvious. And he has publicly criticised these players in the media too, its hard to see how they can improve this situation by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I agree something doesn't seem right.

Players being criticized for a poor performance is one thing, but the level at which he has done it and passing ALL the blame and accusations, of not doing their job, is a different level.

It's either a Brian Clough master stroke of genius......or.......he has/will loose them all....

• Advertisement

I predict the latter. If you have an issue with a player or group of players with regards performance, the logical thing to do is speak to them in private about your concerns and, crucially, manage the situation by agreeing a plan forward and using whatever resources you have to overcome it.

What you dont do is tell the News and Star on a weekly basis how unhappy you are with certain players and their behavior, referring to them in withering terms like "disgusted" or "not wanted". How does that help? Its clear as day the players and Bircham are stuck in an impasse and neither wants to drop their ego and agree to work together. Anyone at the match lastnight could see a huge number of players now simply dont give a fcuk and they simply resent Bircham for his manner. That has no winners, Bircham will no doubt just leave and the players will struggle to get their motivation back.

Sad and sorry situation all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Couldn't disagree more! I think ye are way off. Up to last night he has backed the group of players in the media every week and I get the feeling he just lost it last night because let's face it, those two set pieces were horrifically defended on top of that last minute goal against Derry. He's probably hoping it'll be a kick up the backside for the players and I'm sure he has laid into them internally too.

He called out one player a few weeks back (not on a weekly basis as you've implied) as a troublemaker and he was actually starting last night so...

Bircham has worked wonders with a very small group of players with constant injuries, suspensions etc and I know it doesn't mean much based on a whole season but I think they are 3rd in the form standings since he took over.

Let's not forget what he inherited a few months back.

I haven't seen any player in the last few games who doesn't give a fk - just look at the efforts of Griffin, O'Keeffe, Wordsworth, Martin etc. They don't look like players who have given up or who resent the manager..

We played the best team in the country last night with a depleted team and only for a few schoolboy mistakes we were 15 minutes from getting a result. Let's get real here.

It's a crazy league this year. Any other season with 40 points and you'd be comfortably safe from the drop zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With tonights results of Bohs 2 beating Drogheda 2-1 and Dundalk winning 2-0 over Longford, its now down to 3 teams who can possibly finish 9th

Drogheda will finish 9th if they lose/draw to Rovers and both Finn Harps and Waterford both get 6pts in the last 2 games. Could also go to goal difference

Must win game agaisnt Longford next Saturday, we will know what we have to do with the Harps vs Pats game been the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Terrible tragedy in the RSC on Friday night, multiple deaths and injuries, I had no idea it happened, but I have heard this news this morning on WLR, it’s a tragedy for Waterford, windbag teirnan at it again, and Cllr Joe Kelly, who doesn’t do his own job, said questions need to be answered. I asked cllr Kelly a question a few years ago and he ignored me, so he applies standards to other people and organisations that he doesn’t follow himself, there is a word in the dictionary that describes his behaviour, think it’s a long word beginning with the letter H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The incident on Friday night was an utter disgrace which has been covered extensively by media outlets in Ireland and abroad. There was a lot of children attending the game, many of them getting to see LOI football for the first time, and I know a few parents who won't be rushing back with their kids. Another example of the unacceptable behaviour from a minority which spoils the experience for the majority.

Re Bircham: I'm sure a number of players will be starting to feel the strain - both physically and mentally. Quite a number of them don't have much experience of competitive football, so playing games every few days in a relegation battle will be a challenge for them.

I'm suspect there's a number of flaky characters in the squad, and a guy like Bircham who has played and coached at a high level will spot that a mile off. I hope he sticks around and gets to build a team of his own design in the Premier Division next season.

• Advertisement

It's fantastic to see some players committing to the club for the next few years by signing 2-3 year contracts. I don't think the club has ever been in a position to offer this so it's great news. Hopefully if we can stay up, it'll encourage other players to follow suit.

I did hear yesterday that some of the English lads are loving playing over here because they have a realistic chance of playing European football (obviously not next season) and they get to have a proper Christmas with their families.

A guy like Ali Coote would fit into that bracket. Had potential but needed to play some first team football, came over to Ireland and got to play European football within two seasons. You could see him playing at a League 1 or Championship club in a couple of years - which would be a good achievement and a solid earner.

Hopefully well see more young Irish lads doing likewise. Great to see lads like Dawson Devoy, Ross Tierney, Johnny Kenny, Liam Scales etc. developing in the LOI and hopefully going on to bigger and better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Getting Patterson and junior signed to long term contracts is absolutely brilliant. Two excellent players and we can plan to build a team around them now. And if they do move on to a higher standard, the club gets the fee. Rumoured rovers were watching Patterson in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I think that this is a good summation of the situation at the moment.

The players have given their all over the last few months and there appears to be a certain amount of fatigue setting in.

They defended way too deep after the resumption of play and I have no doubt that the fireworks incident affected the players.

Silly defensive errors could be the difference between relegation and survival and Bircham knows this and hasn't been afraid to call it out.

Kicking the ball away at every opportunity is very frustrating and if we felt it watching from the stands how must the manager have felt.

I wouldn't like to face the likes of UCD (realistically the opposition in the playoff) so hopefully 3 points against Longford and defeat for Harps and it's back in our own hands again. The good thing is they will know what's required going into Saturday evening.

St Pats might rest a few players for the cup final on the 19th

I would not put it past Harps to win on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Ticket sorted for Saturday.. Plenty of Blues travelling to Longford I'm hearing.. Massive game #BLUEARMY

Sadly work and other circumstances got in the way but I'll be keeping a close watch

For tonight we're all fans of St Pats who we badly need to get the win over Finn Harps. A draw would not be an ideal result

Eitherway we will know what we have to do for tomorrow after that match tonight

A draw for Finn Harps tonight means Drogheda are safe

Back in our own hands now, win our last 2 games and your safe

Must must win game tomorrow

Ye, in our own hands now.. No excuses.. Roll on tomorrow #Awaydays.. BLUEARMY 💙⚽

• Advertisement

1-1 it's end, simply not good enough and don't deserve to avoid the playoffs

Blew our chance as its hard to see Finn Harps slipping up against Longford esp at home. No matter what the St Pats is a must win

Think the playoff is now a one off game as the UCD vs Bray playoff is a once off in Dalymount Park next weekend

We've flopped at the wrong time unfortunately. The players look wrecked and the defensive mistakes are destroying us. Not a good way to be heading into a near certain playoff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Is the playoff final a straight one up game? Is it a neutral venue?

According to Matt Keane on Facebook it's a one off game in Richmond Park on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Such a disappointing result last night, we were in control at 1 up in the second half and end up dropping 2 vital points.

Looking like it's going to be the play off for us, likely against a Dublin club at a Dublin venue with Dublin officials !!

Enough talk about what other teams might do. Last year Longford beat a Dublin team in a Dublin venue.

Waterford's fate continues to be in their own hands.

There's lads in that dressing room with experience of the premiership and international football. This is time we'll know whether they have a bit of bottle left in them or not.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Not sure who you have come to the conclusion that its still in Waterford's own hands, if Finn Harps win, then regardless to what Waterford do, Waterford will be in the playoff, so its actually all in Finn Harp's hands and not the other way around!

Ye, and if its the playoff, it will be in our own hands one way or another if we stay up or not..

It's looking like a play off, but stranger things have happened.. Still in our own hands one way or another.. Blues 💙⚽

Yep If Longford can somehow hold Finn Harps to a draw and we beat St Pats were safe

Going to be a nervy last day, just like last year which looking back was a golden chance fucked away which would of changed a lot for the club

• Advertisement

Huge night tonight, a win for us coupled with a Finn Harps draw/loss is needed

Is what it is at the end of the day but let's hope we give a good performance and have some bit of momentum going into the playoff (if we're in it). UCD or Bray will be going into it full of confidence

Advertisement