Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The talent wasn't what it is now and a few players got ruined by injury.

You know all this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Munster are making some inroads. They promoted a gaggle this season. But, the intake into the academy was very small. Off the recent promotions from Munster, I think Ahern and Hodnett have the brightest future. That is not including Casey, who I think will be a 50 cap international.

Connacht have been served very well with imports from near and far! Aungier; Duggan and Dowling look to be good players.they hit the jackpot with Hansen! The domestic production has suffered from an assortment of issues. Injury: SOB 2, Gallagher and Claffey. All retired for medical reasons. Conan O Donnell wasn't good enough and neither was the big lad from irr! Can't remember his name.

Ulster have brought in O'Toole and O'Sullivan, both good players. They struggle with the forwards and produce gold in the backs.

The lads looking to move away from Leinster, or those who do not make the academy and go elsewhere, fair play. There's quite a few Leinstet players playing well for the other provinces.

Maybe the IRFU should identify the top 30 prospects and have them perform at each of the provinces training facilities. There might be interest in moving and playing rugby elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The intake is small partly because we have so many young players in the senior squad. As an example, Crowley would have been only in the second year of the academy were he not promoted early. If you look back 4-5 years ago, Munster had 20 odd players in the academy. It was too many for the depth of talent available and the majority of the players didn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'll ask a technical, genuine question. I know that work is going in in the background in Ulster to improve matters, but we aren't there yet.

What are your ideas and suggestions for dealing with the legacy of the Troubles and sectarianism as regards rugby and it being seen as a "Protestant" sport, and one few Catholic schools are prepared to engage with? Ulster have made very decent progress, but we are still all but halved in the number of schools that will offer the sport.

So we're clear - that's a major, actual issue. It's not a hypothetical point of debate.

So if you're complaining about Ulster's underage set-up, how would you address that issue? Everyone knows it's an all-Ireland sport. A great number of Northern Catholic schools don't care. So how do we resolve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That situation is very difficult. I don't know the religion of the Ulster players. I assume the majority are protestant?

Do catholic schools have rugby as a sport? Are there clubs in catholic areas? Are there mixed schools?

But, there are 9 counties to pick from. I know that there have been some lads from Donegal in the academy. G.A.A is a tough sport to compete with in general. That's throughout the island. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how to overcome these problems

Maybe have rugby camps in non traditional rugby areas, or at catholic schools? The IRFU should be involved in this. They should promote rugby along with the Ulster branch in these areas. The younger a lad is starting out, the better.

But, it's probably tough to implement these type of ideas without passing others off. If it was my decision, I would mandate that some of the squad visit and engage these low interest areas. I guess that some of the Leinster men at Ulster would be catholic, perhaps using these lads to promote the sport would be ideal.

There's a lot of fine athletes in G A.A, maybe some could be lured over to rugby. I see that some Leinster prospects recently left to play Aussie football! But, the IRFU should be investing more to attract rugby players. I suppose the more lads that come up from Leinster the better the opportunity to appeal to these areas.

I would think that Ulster will pry 1 or 2 players from Leinster at the end of the season. Promote these lads with their team mates to tour the clubs and schools?

That's what I think! I could be completely off course and talking out of my ring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s up to Ulster rugby to get out to schools and introduce the sport, I presume they already do a bit of that but really unless the kids are exposed to it they won’t go looking to play in clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Behind three (not two) home-grown scrum-halves: Murray, Casey, Cronin, and Ethan Coughlan also just joined the academy.

Munster also took on Angus Lloyd, Alan Hart and Nicholas Murphy to keep their careers ticking over and gave them a chance to develop to squad regulars and move on again.

At the moment all of the 11 listed Munster academy players (1Hk, 1TP, 2Lk, 3BR, 2SH, 1W, 1Fb) are quality players that have the potential to be senior players and can even play for the seniors now if called up as they are all physically capable.

There’ have been a few Munster players winning caps for the Irish U20’s in recent years too so there is talent trickling through, just not the same flow as from Leinster, and luck plays a part with injuries, with so few prospects injuries can scupper the talent succession planning. Notably Johnny Holland and Brian Scott both left gaps when they retired from freak injuries in their mid-20’s, hence recruiting the likes of Carbery and Knox/Salanoa.

I’m optimistic though that with Munster focusing resources at UL and using the National Talent squad to help spot and develop players in various positions that there will be enough coming through for another few years that there may be a few good enough to reach the Irish squad at some stage.

If injuries crop up it will offer opportunities to players from elsewhere and Munster seem to be doing well to integrate external talent when they need it.

Plus only signing the two World Cup champions to try to bring us to the next level is understandable, plus Jenkins on a 1 year deal to replace CJ after his shock early retirement is also understandable.

With changes to the project player length of time to become Irish qualified we’ll probably see less signings like CJ, Kleyn, Cloete, Knox, Salanoa , and more signings like Declan Moore (Australian produced young talented hooker but Irish Qualified) and we will likely see the odd recruitment within the IRFU as well as repatriating established Irish talent from abroad such as Chris Farrell, Tadhg Beirne and of course our very own Simon Zebo.

Players like Arnold and Wootton through the exiles program also, more recently Haley and Gallagher at full-back which seems to be a problem position to fill, we’ve had Felix Jones and Andrew Conway as potential long-term recruits from Leinster to fill that position over the years, perhaps more needs to be done there and Wren in the academy might make the grade for a development contract next season hopefully, or Jake Flannery might rotate there a bit more.

But all in all, bearing in mind it’s the Irish team thread, in response to criticism that Munster aren’t doing enough to produce players for the Irish squad, I think enough is being done to give players a pathway, while keeping Munster competitive domestically and in Europe. I think we’re heading in the right direction anyway, and even a few talented players are finding their way to French academies too so who knows if they might repatriate in years to come and boost our talent pool.

It will be interesting to see what happens when De Allende, Snyman and Jenkins’ contracts all expire at the end of this season, we might see more faith being shown in the academy prospects to push through at lock and maybe there will be an opportunity for a centre to move to Munster from within the provinces, such as Ciarán Frawley being behind Henshaw and whoever is coming behind McCloskey and Aki, to get regular starts at 12, or Scannell or Goggin might push through themselves.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Give it 2 years and bayern will be banging in he 26-32 year old drum.

It is, tho. Things could be very different for Munster and Ulster if only they gave all the young lads a go. But you can’t name any of these young lads? So ya, summarily, guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

While I agree, we won't know for a couple of years if this is really true.

Munster have had a really barren spell in terms of producing test level players, there's no point saying otherwise, so hopefully the current crop can continue to develop and stay injury free.

• Advertisement

Previously, Leinster needed a bigger squad because of the games during the international window. There are none, now. Lack of game time could start to become a problem for some players.

So if a player decides to leave, would you rather then go abroad or to another Irish province?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

That’s An important point that’s getting overlooked here.

Leinster rugby sit on a motherload legacy that produces tons of players through the schools. I went to a rugby school in the 80s and there was no GAA in the school. I’d grown up playing hurling but ended up playing rugby as a teen. There were more than a dozen schools like that then, with each coaching hundreds of kids. That’s a lot of players coming through and it’s a lot more now (most do offer GAA these days).

Even with that, Leinster’s European success is related to their NIQ players, would they have 4 trophies without Isa, Thorn, Fardy, etc? In the same way Munsters prospects this season took a major hit when Snyman got injured again.

Leinster dominate the league but without world class additions European success is nearly impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Ffs an international vs Japan today and yet this thread is just pages and pages of munster vs leinster shite and I do mean shite this thread is a waste of time

That’s a very salient point,

I’d propose that all things going to plan, each of the provinces should be looking at having 2 quality imports on an ongoing basis (IRFU and private funding allowing) a forward and a back, the Munster example is there, Snyman to inspire the pack, De Allende to bolster the midfield.

The influence they would bring to the squad, confidence and experience to impart their wisdom to the local talent coming through is an almost intangible yet a very influential part to having a couple of NIE signings every couple of years. Particularly in key positions that don’t block talent too much.

It also gives the supporters a boost, fun to watch these guys mix into the local squad and raise standards.

Just to add, right now,

Munster: Snyman (SA capped), Jenkins (SA capped), De Allende (SA capped).

Ulster: Carter (Aus capped), Vermeulen (SA capped).

Connacht: Tuimauga (injury cover for Buckley, Samoan capped), Fifita (Replacement for Roux leaving coinciding with O’Brien and Gallagher retiring early, Tongan capped), Papali’i (NIQ, DOB 20 June 1993 (age 28), Connacht debut Aug 30th 2020, not capped), O’Donnnell (Aus 7’s capped), Porch (Aus 7’s capped).

Leinster: Ala’alatoa (Samoan capped).

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

I’ve no beef at all with foreign signings but I would say that if all things were going to plan (which they never will) then there would be no need for overseas signings, the goal should be 4 provinces rammed with talented Irish players. Again I understand that is unlikely to ever come to fruition and the provinces should supplement as needed. Although I don’t necessarily think it should be just top players coming in. I’m happy to see people like Michael Bent come in and make lasting impressions whilst never being the star.

I think the current crop are already showing a ceiling above previous years, tho FFF. Thinking what the likes of Coombes and Casey have already produced for Munster. Hopefully they and others can continue improving and start pushing for test inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That would be a valid argument if there was local talent there. You can choose to ignore the facts but Dublin is rugby Central in Ireland. The sheer number of schools and clubs gives Leinster a massive advantage. We will always produce more talent than the rest of country.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pff, come on. Even your Irish players are French!

Does anyone understand the scrum half merry go round? It seems like some sort of dwarf laundering scheme but I can't figure out who's supposed to benefit.

The fact that there are still Catholic and Protestant schools seems like the obvious core of the problem. It's a major social issue across the island, in fact and one that people bizarrely turn a blind eye to, be it gender or religious segregation.

Also, sport being dependent on schools seems backwards to me. Lots more should be done directly through clubs.

Schools are needed as the students are a captive audience. If a school gets done coaching over a few weeks it’s unlikely they will start a team but some kids may join a club. If clubs offer training to new kids they are relying on kids turning up whereas in schools they have no choice as they are there.

a friend of mines daughter took up rugby along with a couple of classmates based purely on Leinster doing a few weeks of coaching in the school. She then joined the club that her dad had played for but wouldn’t have gone up if it wasn’t for the initial introduction in school.

• Advertisement

By all means have introduction to different sports in PE class but it should never be the case that a child is denied the opportunity to play a sport because he or she goes to the 'wrong' school, isn't the right religion or can't afford the tuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Yes as I have said repeatedly it is clear Leinster have an advantage but that doesn't mean you don't question what the hell has been going on in the other provinces.

Genuinely mean right now you could simply ignore playing anyone from outside Leinster in the Irish 23 and it wouldn't be any worse off. Are the Leinster schools that brilliant or perhaps there has been a failure to develop rugby in the other provinces or a bit of both. Reality is its a bit of both but we obviously need to ignore the good stuff (Leinster) and leave alone and focus on fixing the bad.

In fairness Munster have some promising talent coming through so let's hope it is the beginning of a change but it is going to take a few years to repair the damage and change the philosophy. Can only help Irish rugby.

Absolutely although I don’t think anyone is actually denied it’s more a case of perceptions to be broke down. In Dublin it’s often perceived as a posh game but if you actually play there you realise that’s not quite fair especially in the clubs. In the North it’s seen as Protestant and I think a bit middle class. That’s up to the branches to change the perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

youd swear gaa wasnt played in Dublin, by some of the comments in here.

Yeah we’re close to that situation in Leinster to be fair, but unrealistic the other 3 provinces will ever get to that level, at least not for the foreseeable decade anyway.

I don’t really see the point in a Bent like signing for Leinster going forward though, only top class players should be signed for Leinster in my view, as Leinster have more than enough talent on stream to fill out the squad adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sorry folks slightly off topic but are any channels other than rte showing the game?

Match thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

100%. The idea that Ulster branch can just try a bit harder and they'll manage to overcome thirty years of sectarianism, bitterness, killing and political division is ludicrous, is patently nonsense. We have many more players on the fringes of the set-up from Letterkenny than we do from Catholic grammar schools in Belfast.

I get frustrated when people simply compare population numbers between Leinster and Ulster. Unless you've never heard of the Troubles, you're deliberately being disingenuous not talking about it.

And as an aside, there are no "Protestant" schools. There's Catholic schools and state schools, where Protestants, Muslims, Hindus etc go. And, thankfully now, integrated schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Advertisement