Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with my Manager

Options
  • 23-10-2021 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm looking for some help. I've had issues with my Manager for some time, we've never really clicked but I've always tried to be professional, do my job to the best of my ability but recently things have taken a turn for the worse and now I feel that I'm being indirectly bullied and I can't take it anymore. When referring to me in emails to someone else, she never uses my name and it's always she/her etc.

I recently had a meeting with her online and I mentioned to her that I felt that it would make more sense for me to be managed by a different manager as I work with him 99% off the time, Another colleague of mine does a similar job and sits under someone else so I know that it is possible to do. She took my opinions on board and said we would look into this in January so I thought fair enough. On a recent all hands call with the entire company, I got a shout out by someone else, She ignored this and didn't even mention well done or anything to me, She praises another girl on my team constantly and I just get ignored. It's now got to the stage where She won't respond to any emails I sent to her, she's ignoring my time off requests (until I chase them up). In one review, she mentioned that I'm always negative and bring the tone down, I disagreed but I was struggling with being alone during the pandemic. She arranged to meet up with everyone else from my team over the course of the last year except me. I feel victimised and uncomfortable in my workplace.

Another example is she was pushing me to do a course and then mentioned that I'd have to take 2 holiday days for this, I investigated it and challenged it and when I suggested I would go to HR, she changed her tune. It just seems to me that I'm not being treated fairly and she is bearing a personal grudge against me.

I think the best thing for me to do is to raise a grievance with HR and see if it's possible to move to sit under this other Manager as I feel this is untenable now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭raclle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not unless it is repeated and undermines the right to dignity at work. Is not referencing someone by name in an email or failing to praise them when there was a “shout out” at a meeting bullying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

HR is there to protect the company. Not you. And unless it is clear cut, the manager will be supported.

However, if you feel strongly enough that you might leave... a professional complaint recorded.. evidence based.. factual, no emotion... well if she really is out to get you, that might be a nice ace card to have up your sleeve in the event that she tries to manage you out.

If nothing else, should you find yourself in an unfair dismissal situation, if there are documented and recorded complaints the company will think twice and likely stay well away from it.. or settle up quickly if they proceed with it (most companies chicken out.. no one wants to be in that court).

You might even get your wish to move managers. But be under no illusion, unless you have tangible stuff to talk about, it will go nowhere. And even if you do it will almost certainly go nowhere. At best it MIGHT be a nice backup to have in case anyone tries to take you out later, but that depends on the company, it depends on the other side of the story too. Which none of us here can know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just look for a job elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would suggest moving on aswell. Life is too short for dealing with things like this and unless you are public sector the HR will be worse than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bruno Smith

Move on, I am out on stress leave due to this situation as well as many others issues (overworked, understaffed, etc) unfortunately workers have little or no rights and you can complain all you want but in the end it will only get worse and you will be just become more unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

You know, I sort of agree with the moving on, but if that's what you decide to do, then you having nothing to lose by taking this issue further.

This short of rubbish behaviour is not acceptable. Isolating and treating people differently for no reason other than you don't like them very much is just wrong.

I have filed a grievance once, due to bullying and gender discrimination. Some people are so stupid they think that other person (me) won't document their behaviour. I ended up accepting a very large compensation payment from my former firm as well as the option of being promoted. I declined that offer. I had no interest in staying at that point. Shame on them (management/HR) for letting it go as far as it did.

The point is that if no one says anything, nothing changes. Could be (probably isn't) that other people aren't unaware of this behaviour by your manager? Perhaps she isn't aware of it? She may be horrified to feel her actions are making you feel as you do. If that is the case, then a clear, non confrontational 121 could sort this. Just say you would really appreciate a chat and have your points listed clearly so that you can go through them. Like I said, if that doesn't help, then you have the option of going to HR. Worse case, you leave. But at least by alerting HR, then both this person, and HR are aware of issues which could be affecting other people. You do however need documentary evidence of this behaviour (dates and times/notes of meetings/spreadsheet of times you have emailed/not got a response etc, other people that have done training without using annual leave to do it etc) Without that, then you currently have a "difference of opinion".

(My experience of exit interviews/feedback is that they generally end up in the bin. Opinions may differ...)

I hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My manager singled me out for praise recently. I didn't realise I was being bullied.

OP - you say you do your job to the best of your ability. That's not a good way to phrase it as some staff work to the best of their ability but are ineffective. Better to say that you do your job in a competent manner, meet the required goals/objectives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hang on a second.

Absolutely you may end up moving on, but if so, do so knowing you tried to be professional and engage with conflict resolution in the correct manner.

If you don't you could well deal with an inferiority complex either because you were targeted in the first place or because you ultimately weren't able to resolve it in a satisfactory manner. And if you mention later you were pushed out of a job and are having difficulty in a new one, many telling you to move here will be back telling you that you are the common denominator and must be the source of the problem.

Kathleen37 is absolutely correct that this sort of behaviour is totally unacceptable. Aside from the fact that the manager themselves should know this, the company should be structured so that such an issue can be dealt with appropriately.

Does the company have an employee booklet or intranet page that deals how conflict resolution is managed? If not, it's a concern but you are still entitled to have a 3rd party get involved in this and so I would ask HR for a confidential meeting to discuss your situation.

It seems to me that your request is for to have a different line manager, and that your justification for this is your experience and discomfort of working under your current one. All your feelings around being undermined or treated unreasonably are valid but are mostly not going to impact the decision as, as you point out yourself, people don't always click. Being undermined in emails without being mentioned can be subjective also but again, it doesn't mean you are wrong to feel upset by this. But in cases where you were told you'd have to use personal holidays to attend training in order to perform your role, that's definitely unacceptable.

If meeting with Hr, maybe document your position before hand with a summary of your experience and direct references to days or times when you felt how you were treated was inappropriate. When doing this, be as objective as possible and know that anything that simply comes down to your personal dislike of what was said is unlikely to make a big difference as it is just a difference in communication.

You can expect that HR will tell you that they have to get the other side of the story and you probably already know your manager won't admit they were being unreasonable but if possible, try not to engage about this on any level outside of that directed by HR and I would definitely advise that you do not speak alone about the issue with your current manager if they come to you about it.

As I said, ultimately, you may end up leaving as you might be told you cannot transfer but if so, you'll leave knowing you stood up for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd look for a job elsewhere outside of this company at the earliest convenience. In situations like this internal transfers to another department are rarely supported, and raising the issue with HR also won't get you anywhere. Remember, HR is there to protect the company and when push comes to shove, your manager not you. Company guidelines, employee handbooks or grievance processes, whistleblowing, etc... rarely bring any results. Get out, while the going is good, and you're not blacklisted or otherwise blocked from a new and unobstructed career somewhere else. Remember also, people leave managers, not companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I would try move laterally to the other manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Why is that always the default answer from most people? Ah sure just on, get another job elsewhere.

Maybe the OP actually likes the job and the company and wants to stay on that ladder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If they do then they would be going about it the wrong way then.

Can only assume you have a limited knowledge/experience of office politics.... Generally speaking your manager is there because the company has confidence in them, it does not matter why, they just do. If you go up against them, you will almost certainly loose in one why or the other, it might not be tomorrow or the day after, but it will. The only time you will win is if the company wants you to - they want a reason to get rid of the manager.

You will find all kinds of weird crap going on in companies... Back in 2006 - 2010, when banks were letting 10s of thousands of staff go, I knew one manager that always held on to one particularly unless article through every round of redundancies.. You know why? This guy was the manager's excuse for things going wrong! Any complaints and the answer was always the same: Sure look at the staff I have to work with. Event the guy himself knew it, he'd often say: As long as Mark needs a fall guy I'm safe.

Welcome to the world of office politics - the boys and the girls in the Dail are in the second division.

Hate the default answers here.

1. HR is only for the company. Even if correct (isn't always) who's to say HR don't think a bad manager needs to be dealt with?

2. Move jobs. Sometimes this is suitable, especially a small company where the OP would have nowhere to turn. But, the OP works in a large company and there will be several layers to take this.

3. Employees have no rights. Hogwash is all that needs to be said to that.

1. Of course HR is there to further the best interests. However that does not mean the motives of an individual manager and the company are aligned, if that is the case then you can expect HR to be on your side.
    2. Big companies keep records, the grapevine and all the usual, things will follow you around unless you find a faction or click that are your church.
    3. Employees do have rights, but expecting that you can take action against the company and that you can go back there, with everyone playing nicely is not realistic.

A lot of the Irish labour law is hogwash, it may you happy, give you a nice warm feeling but is all it is. A company will not hire a black person, a woman, an older person etc... unless they want to nor with the keep you on if they have a mind to etc.... the law just makes it a little bit more complicated that is all.

Why do you pick an example of someone not an employee?

It is extremely hard, and time intensive to sack even a poor employee. To say they have no rights is naive. And then a company often fall foul of the WRC and pay compensation to the employee for technical reasons.

Not sure what point you are trying to make in point 2.

Agree on point 1. Don't underestimate a company's ability to do the best thing overall. Each case needs to be considered.To simply say HR will always side against you is lazy. In other cases (not saying its the case with this OP) the manager will have good reason to act the way they do.

This is closer to a plot from Cornation street than an accurate example of office dynamics.

In the real world, more and more companies are aware of the risk of constructive dismissal cases being brought against them and even without that threat, few companies will back a junior/mid-level manager without question.

If a manager is going on with stuff like this, they would be happy to become aware of it. Think I'm lying, have a conversation with people in such positions and ask how secure do they feel that the company will back them without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whether the company will back you or the manager is meaningless twaddle.

Having the fight is exhausting, and your average employee doesn't have (cannot afford) the legal team needed to look after their interests, and doesn't want or need the hassle involved.

They may be lucky, and find that the company really want to get rid of the crappy manager, and are happy to support the employee. But they may not. Even if they are, there are months of pain to be endured as the crappy manager has to be given the chance to prove they can do the job ('cos they're just another employee with rights, too).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ashley02

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'm still considering all my options but I really don't want to leave as I enjoy the role that I do and really like most of the people that I'm working with.

Currently I'm planning on trying to get myself moved to sit under the other manager as I believe that makes the most sense, I work with him 80% of my time (if not more). It's very difficult because if I raise the issue, I feel it turns into my word against theirs and can be hard to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Move on, Life's too short.

I'd hate to have this attitude. Maybe it leads to a happier life, I don't know, but the lack of fight is depressing. What happens when they next meet a challenge in their next role - pack it in again? I don't think the OP is a cashier or similar low skill job. Eventually moving around is going to go against them.

More often than not standing up for yourself will reap far greater rewards than running away.

Fair point but no job is worth sacrificing your health for and the relationship you have with your manger can have a significant impact on your mental health. If the OP is down and feels they are fighting a losing battle then moving to a new role can be the best option for career progression and enjoyment of your work.

I see too many people hating their jobs & Managers and wearing it as a badge of honour that they battle through each day. Who's really winning in the end in these scenarios?

It does not matter whether you are a cashier or an accountant, it is still just a job and when it suits them you are expendable make no mistake about that. And yes I have been in the room on several occasions where those decisions had to be made... a few people were concerned about the impact it would have on the people involved, but most did not give a toss frankly, especially when the people were located in another country.

What is depressing is that you seem to be letting work define you, as you get older you realise that work really is not very important in life. There are many things in live worth fighting for be work is not one of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're retired many years, after relatively few years in work.

We spend most of our time in work - more time with colleagues than loved ones, so it's fatuous to say work isn't important. It takes up a huge amount of time for most of us. It's also a very important part of a lot of peoples lives. We're directed to get a 'good job' from a very early age (from family and society in general) - spend 16 years of our most formative lives primarily being educated to making us productive workers and is probably our greatest contribution to society bar reproducing. So, to say work isn't important to people comes from a very privileged and not common experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Remember, it's not a court of law. You don't need to prove things beyond reasonable doubt. What you have outlined in the opening post comes across as credible to me and some things would be verifiable (where there is an email chain for example). Your manager's behaviour does amount to bullying in my opinion and should be considered completely unacceptable in any well run company.

Are you on good terms with the other manager that you work with 80% of the time? Why not suggest to them the next time you are on a call that you think it might be best if you report into them? Explain why you think it makes sense (e.g. I already spend more time on work with you than current manager, feel like we get on well etc.). Mention that you've suggested it to your existing manager and they said they were open to discussing the idea at year end.

If you can move to the new manager, then problem solved really from the sounds of it. Probably no need to go nuclear in that case and burn any bridges. If you do end up leaving, that's when you can leave a few spicy comments in the exit interview!

The poster literally just said that they enjoy the role and most of the people they work with.

I've yet to meet someone who says they love everything about where they work and everyone there and not be lying about it.

Whatever you do, don't go down the route of leaving spicy comments in exit interviews.

Well if you call 30 years a relatively short few years in work, then I guess I am.

But apart from that you have just confirmed what I said, you are allowing work to define you and that will become a problem for you. The world of work is changing at you will need to build up an alternative social network. Both my kids started their first job in the last 18 months, so far they have never been to the office and in the case of my daughter she never will because they have decided to close the office and WHF is the normal. Likewise once you retire you will loose most of your work contacts, beyond say the few that you retired with. The will keep up with you for a while, but as work was all you had in common was work and as work changes and you are not involved, they eventually move on.

Outside the Anglo-sphere bubble, work is just that, you are not there to be popular or engage in social activities, you are there to get the job done and that is it. People don't consider work colleagues as friend, they are just colleagues and when you are done you are done.

• Advertisement

First of all, some of my best friends are those I met at work - especially when I first worked in practice. I've not worked with them for years, but still very good friends and regularly meet up, including during covid, outdoors around a brazier. And I highly doubt I'm alone.

And work does define us to a point. Meet someone for the first time and I guarantee you before the first five minutes you'll know what each person does for a living. Thus, by definition our employment defines us. That's just a statement of fact. You see it as a bad thing - fair enough. And here's the thing. Lots of people at least like work, and get a shock when they retire. Has happened many times in my current workplace. Work didn't suit you - but, best not to project.

As for your daughter, we really don't know how WFH is going affect people. I know some people are going slightly mad at the lack of contact. Horses for Courses

As for the OP, they seem to enjoy their role, and should not simply, 'walk away' - which is the point of the thread.

Advertisement