Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

From reading your earlier posts on this matter you said that humans are probably responsible for ~33% of warming with natural increases making up the other ~66%. So, humans can claim responsibility of ~0.3c out of the ~1.0c rise seen since pre-industrial times. It looks like temperatures will get close to a cumulative ~1.5c rise over the coming decades (2040->2070) give or take a point or two, of which humans will have contributed ~0.5c.

If that is the case then recent and current generations of western civilization can be held in high regard with their industrial and technological achievements overall. These achievements have not come without a cost though, destruction of wildlife habitats and ocean pollution being a major blight on our progress amongst pockets of groundwater pollution, localised air pollution issues and cases of nuclear contamination resulting in poor health outcomes and death.

My overall opinion regarding human's influence on the climate has shifted from genuine concern and alarm in my younger years to slight concern now-a-days. I feel that politicians on both sides of the spectrum have hijacked the genuinely held concerns of some people caught up in the alarmism - driven by MSM who are always looking for their "if it bleeds, it leads" news headlines. We only have to look at how the Covid19 story was covered to see such a pantomime in full glory.

What is happening in Glasgow indeed is a farce overall, but there are a few good points coming from it when looking at from a different angle. Diverting investment funds away from fossil fuel in the longer term is a good approach as long as these funds are invested in proper clean tech that delivers a stable energy supply. However this tech is still a way off and I just hope that Paddy Politician in the Dáil doesn't decide to obliterate every hillside in Ireland with turbines - he has form in allowing scattergun one-off housing in the past. Otherwise breaking dependence on Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries for energy is a good move.

However, the Carbon Tax and the ponzi cap and trade scheme has not been addressed and these measures are putting huge pressures on low to middle income families. I've more to add to this post, will continue it in the near future...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

After decades of denying that the planet is warming, you have arrived at a position where you now get to say that actually it's warming and even though humans are causing it, it's too late to do anything about it

And you've also managed to frame this in the most hubristic way imaginable by saying that all the worlds scientists were right by accident because only you truly understand the real reasons why the planet is warming

You're pathetic

And you're still wrong,it's not too late to stop the 3.5c warming you warn about, we should not abandon the next generation like cowards, or use hair brained schemes like flooding Somalia to protect vancouver...

and 3.5c is not the worst it could get, especially if we continue to extract fossil fuels and burn them until there's nothing left to burn or nobody left to burn them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It looks like COP was a bit of a horsetrading junket for some. Minister of State for Agriculture, Martin Heydon, was on Drivetime this evening and admitted that he'd been in Glasgow for a couple of days "meeting companies who buy and sell Irish food". How many other attendees were actually there doing the same trade deals, I wonder? Heydon was pushed on the point that he's afraid to rattle the farmers with any measures greater than the 22-30% reductions being imposed on them and his answer was not entirely convincing.

His bit starts at 20:00 mins in.

Climate Action Plan | Drivetime - RTÉ Radio 1 (rte.ie)

Climate has become a major marketing tool now, with practically all major companies spending big on advertising along the lines of climate. There's not one ad break without at least two ads on this shite. It's Y2K all over, except bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Akrasia, I have never at any point denied that the planet is warming, you just made that up, thinking that if I was a critic of the theory in the past, I must have denied warming. No, I always said that natural variability was a larger component than the IPCC is willing to accept. I was saying this from a very early point in the global warming discussion around the early 1990s.

Also I have not advocated flooding anywhere that has any current economic or cultural significance, there must be places that can be used to create a larger surface area for the oceans, but if no country wants to sacrifice any of their land, they can just wait for all countries to lose equal amounts.

I would simply say that you are guessing about whether or not we could reduce the upward temperature trend by any significant amount. The theory is not that good. I have a perfect right to advance an alternate theory, this is how science works. Future events rather than blogger opinions will determine which theories are better than others. But there is no shame in searching for the truth in a forest of deceptive lies, lies that are used to drive forward economic and social agendas that will prove to be harmful and destructive and will benefit only a handful of people whose identities are already known in many cases. This is why the process seems so hypocritical to many observers including quite a few posters in this forum.

But don't worry about it, there isn't even the slightest chance that the elites will listen to me anyway, they have too much invested in their political agenda and the shaping of this scientific question to support that agenda. After they wreck the global economy for no rational reason, we can revisit who is pathetic. I will get my offspring to take my side in that debate because it won't be very clear to anybody what actually happened 1990-2021 until around 2050 when, with their agenda accomplished, it continues to warm up anyway.

Danno ... just to be clear on one detail, my assessment on the balance between AGW signal and natural warming while overall being about what you said in your comment, is probably changing towards a larger percentage for AGW since this past few years should have seen perhaps more cooling than we have seen, so by now I think we may be closer to 50-50 on those elements and it could continue to change going forward. It may drop off again if we get into a period of accelerated warming.

Anyway, what I think is pathetic is the exploitation of vulnerable children (Greta Thunberg being the prime example) to guilt their parents into following what I consider to be the wrong path on this issue, we should be planning for rising sea levels, not bankrupting society and forcing money to flow into what amount to sophisticated ponzi schemes and disguised taxation increases for purposes having nothing to do with climate change at all.

Some people think there will never be any consequences, that this unholy alliance between false science and bad politics will never be punishable because all forms of discussion can be controlled and anyone dissenting can be labelled as outsiders and social pariahs, however, if the majority of public opinion turns against the elites forcing these processes upon them, there will be a time of payback although it may only be a discrediting of their approach as history turns a page and moves on more realistically. By the way, I have already seen some signs of this starting to happen -- in the Netherlands, they can't afford to fart around with unworkable schemes, they have a very flat country behind sea walls already, and their approach is turning more pragmatic, as their government realizes that a higher set of seawalls is an urgent priority. And I learned this from a Dutch TV program shown on our local network, with a very pro-AGW host touring all the usual places, but getting that response anyway from Netherlands government spokesmen. They can't sit around hoping that some pie in the sky scheme to change the climate will work. And I'm willing to bet a few guilders that they don't believe that scheme can work.

Also quite pathetic is this current crop of world leaders. There does not seem to be one of them with the cojones required to stand up to this array of misguided scientists and activists, and say, "enough, we will make a sensible decision." The sensible decision is to accept that there could be significant coastal flooding within two or three decades. What we have now is a collection of special interest groups and political activists whose real objective is to transform society to an agenda that is never placed directly before the voters of various countries but is being imposed on them step by step. The voters have nobody to blame but themselves for allowing this to happen because there are political options that are opposed. These of course are demonized by the media who have taken it upon themselves to be sales agents for the globalist agenda. One wonders what they get as a commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I actually cannot believe he is advocating for humanity to manually adjust the sea level by moving "excess ocean water" onto land, a child wouldn't come up with that, this is flat-earther territory, AGW denial is a cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

" and 3.5c is not the worst it could get, especially if we continue to extract fossil fuels and burn them until there's nothing left to burn or nobody left to burn them"

I still think that referencing temperature limits and rises to a 'pre-industrial era' is a masterstroke in order to dump guilt on humanity and great if you can get away with it. Reasonable people gifted with common sense would see right through the scheme, although such people with influence are in short supply at the moment.

What is the base planetary temperature by which the 1.5°C limit or rise is relative to?. There is no answer if people give it some thought.

COP26 has so far gained commitments on stopping deforestation and a private equity fund of 130 trillion dollars to invest in combating and adapting to climate change

In the next few days, they need to agree on a way to validate and oversee these efforts and administrate the funds to avoid corruption and outright theft.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Ministry for the Future needs to be established by the UN to hold governments and private companies accountable to their commitments and to stop the inevitable greenwashing

Otherwise it's nothing but propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

“Dump guilt on humanity” how dare they cause everyone knows it bonobo monkeys what did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So the glorious leader now believes in man made climate change, f**king lol. This is the thread that keeps on giving.

I am eager to call it a masterstroke by turning carbon dioxide into a thermostat in the post-industrial era with definite temperature limits attached while neither the pre-industrial era nor the post-industrial one has a base planetary temperature by which to gauge the temperature rise relative to. It could just as well be the post-dinosaur era but it wouldn't have the same human guilt-ridden effect as the era when humanity started to burn coal to keep warm and for industry.

Planetary climate is as much a magnificent and complex topic as the other Earth sciences of biology and geology are when researchers get back to inspecting it properly.

• Advertisement

Whether it is true or not, the idea that Covid escaped from a lab in Wuhan by accident will be sidelined out of worldwide academic courtesy as that is the nature of things as a human mistake would be unacceptable. With 'climate change modelling', it is just as acceptable to argue against the monstrosity as it is to argue for it - what is unacceptable is to argue against modelling itself so better to side with those who promote climate change than lose both climate change modelling and all modelling itself

Remarkable and there I leave it.

You have always completely downplayed the scientific consensus on Climate change, you pay lip service to the 'possibility' that some climate change may be man-made, but you have always placed a much greater emphasis on the likelihood that climate is just undergoing natural variability and you have alluded to the fact that we don't need to take any action because we have so long before it would become a problem that all the oil will have been burned by then or Fossil fuels will have been completely replaced by then anyway

Here's a post from you from Jan 2018

in the thread "Climate Change - General discussion' started by Gaoth Laidir.

"Interesting discussion.

I tend to accept that instrumental records from 1659 (start of CET records) to mid-19th century come with some uncertainty but the averages are probably reliable, for one thing, the more severe winters can be cross-checked against more robust indicators like freezing of certain rivers or snow cover duration reported by reliable observers.

So I accept in general terms the concept that the Little Ice Age was a long interval of colder weather, that it had a last hurrah in the 19th century, and that the 20th century was generally warmer.

Beyond that, I don't entirely trust the narrative about ever-increasing warmth because it seems at variance with specific locations. I think what's going on generally is a complex mixture of expanding urban heat islands, regional changes in the subarctic, and a certain amount of fiddling with the data to improve the look. My comment: accusing scientists of falsifying data while giving merit to long debunked theories from Anthony Watts that this is just Urban heat island effect)

At some point that reaches a point of no return and that's exactly what the most recent trends indicate -- even using their own questionable numbers, the gatekeepers have to admit that the temperature trends have flat-lined. There's no more give in the system. My comment: There has been absolutely no flattening of the warming, if anything, it is accelarating with/ of the hottestt years on record all having fallen within the past  yearsThis may mean one of three things.

(1) We have reached an equilibrium where the forces at work on temperature trends have exhausted their ability to provide further warming, combined with a lack of easily manipulated new data opportunities, in other words, the IPCC are stuck with this steady-state situation which reminds one of the transition from a warming climate around the 1930s to a more variable one in the 1940s.My comment: You had absolutely zero scientific basis to put this as your first and preferred scenario. And it has been shown to have been completely wrong

(2) All of these observed trends, while reliable and un-manipulated, have been due more to natural than anthropogenic causes, and the cycle there is swinging towards a cooling trend, largely because of lower solar activity, where a lag time of 10-20 years is expected from past analogues. My comment: This scenario is even more climate denialist then the one before, where you make sure to get a snide dig in to the climate scientists who are doing the proper research that is leading to actual projections that are becoming reality with every passing year.

(3) There really is an AGW problem and we just happened to hit a natural downturn that is keeping it in check. Later on, if we don't abandon fossil fuels, we will see a fast increase in temperatures. my comment: even in paying lip service to the fact that climate change might be real, you still deny that there has been any actual warming, instead blaming falsified records and urban heat islands for distorting the measurements. It is possible that natural cooling cycles might actually be masking some AGW, but this does nothing to address your denial of the warming that had already been observed and proven to the satisfaction of the vast majority of practising climate scientists and every credible scientific institute on the planet, way before this post was written in 2018

I don't know which of these three is the most likely option. However, I do suspect that our atmosphere has many undiagnosed or unsuspected ways of redistributing the warmth we might be generating, in complex feedback mechanisms. The climate change people are beginning to lean this way too, they want to have all bases covered so there is more emphasis on the warmth in the subarctic causing displacement of arctic air (the polar vortex scenario). While I think much of this is hype, it should be noted that glacial periods usually begin with open seas in the far north.my comment: No the climate change people were not leaning towards that, there was no need to explain a 'pause' in 2018. The established fact of greenhouse gasses forcing climate change was suffucient to explain the warming that was being observed, even if there is always uncertainty about the exact distribution of heat across the oceans and atmosphere

By the time we work out what's really going on (and it is bound to be more complicated, all things global-climate are complicated) we will probably have exhausted fossil fuels and perfected cleaner technologies. If we get over the widespread fears of nuclear technology, that might be the way forward. There is no shortage of hydrogen. my comment: Here you are basically saying that there's no need to do anything, because the problems won't arise for so long into the future that action is not required today - the exact opposite of what all climate scientists have been saying for decades

As to the climate of Ireland changing very much, can that be bad? Or should I say, must that be bad? There is always this assumption behind the climate change argument that all change is bad. But the climate has always been changing, that part we can't dispute, even skeptics of the AGW theory don't dispute that climate is changing, it always is, and always will be unless we perfect weather modification. my comment:adding a little bit of 'climate change is also a positive thing' in here for good measure. Got to hit all those Denial talking points even if you're not aware of it consciously

Then I wonder, how much will the Boards snow fanatics have to raise to bribe the weather modification people to make it snow?"

--------------------------------

Spare us the Gaslighting MT

You have been throwing out your 'research' on here every few months that has always downplayed the role humans are having in the changing climate, you never speak out in support of any climate science done by any credible scientific institutes if it contradicts your own pet theories, and you have been the Patriarch of your own little echo chamber here, where you have achieved a god like status, among many of the forum faithful who are either unaware of some of your, frankly, ridiculous theories, or simply choose to look the other way because you are one of them.

If you have actually decided that Human caused climate change is real and is happening now, and is a real problem, can you just come out and accept the scientific consensus instead of this nonsense about 'Scientists are right, but for the wrong reasons' bullsh1t

You were clearly wrong in 2018, this proves that your opinion is not as well thought out as you thought it was, so open yourself up to the idea that you're still wrong about your opinion on the need to act rapidly to reduce emissions if we want to have any chance to avoid the worst consequences of climate change.

You don't have to agree with all the proposed solutions to reducing CO2 in the atmosphere, but at least accept that we cannot keep increasing them at the rate we are doing now. And come up with sensible solutions for helping us to cut back on those emissions. regenerate our planet's ability to regulate CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, and maintain a stable temperature for humanity, and for the many other biological systems that we are putting increasing strain on with each passing year.

I made it pretty clear when I published the thread about a third approach to climate change that my concern about significant (natural) warming in decades to come was some new conclusion from ongoing research. It is fairly common in science for theory to evolve and not remain static. One weakness that I see in the IPCC approach is that they are very slow to adjust their thinking to new information, preferring instead to demonize the sources of new information. I have to say that irrational hatred is something that I have experienced before from people in weather circles, and I am reminded of what a passed friend used to say, "when you're drawing flak you know you are over the target."

All of the crap about a cult of personality and echo chamber have been debunked before and the people you are accusing of submitting to this are independent minded people who sometimes see things much differently from myself. We may enjoy a mutual respect and the level of friendship which is possible for people who live in different countries, have never met in person and have very different lives and interests. How this would appear to be a cult of personality mystifies me and whoever you think is part of it. But if that is an insight into your general thought processes, I wouldn't be very confident that any other conclusions you draw are valid either.

As a proponent of free speech (on the internet and anywhere else) I am the last person to accuse of trying to create a lack of debate or discussion. I welcome true debate and discussion. But these ad hominem attacks are a recognizable sign that somebody has weak arguments and is resorting to a last gasp tactic, to demonize the opponent and force people to pay a price to show any agreement or solidarity with that person. It is the new common theme of modern academic life, and it sucks. I am glad I am old enough to have gone to university (in a left-dominated environment, no doubt) when people debated and did not resort to this childish cancel culture.

On another point raised, the irony is this -- my proposals to solve the problem through moving excess sea water onto land may strike you as implausible, but excess sea water is going to move onto land anyway, so perhaps we should be in charge of where and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks, does it really matter if climate change is man made or indeed cyclical?

fact is it’s happening, and it will have massive effects on the human population.

Therefore what steps are you taking to prepare for the consequences?

I read over the comments inserted into my 2018 post, and some of those comments are misleading. But in the context of my overall contention that natural warming may be about to increase again, I don't see anything there contradicting that possibility. If we go into an accelerated warming trend and a large part of it comes from natural variability, how is the human modification of the AGW signal going to prevent the net warming from going beyond a tipping point?

The poster in question has basically tried to put words in my mouth, that I am now reversing some position of denying AGW and have come to embrace it. Neither is true. I never denied AGW as a component signal of the overall trends. Nor have I now embraced AGW as the sole or even main cause of my concern about rising temperatures.

So just to be clear, I take the same position now as always, that we need to understand natural variability considerably better before we can begin to separate it out from the AGW signal. Just defining there to be no natural warming trends in recent decades (so all the warming can be pinned on AGW) is little more than an assumption based on a very coarse understanding of climate driven entirely by Milankovitch cycles of very small amplitude (in current centuries) and no more than a background factor of one or two per cent importance.

Anyway, this tracking of me and my opinions seems rather odd, don't you think? I thought the experts had everything figured out so why would they care what some random internet poster was saying?

As to this rather laughable charge that we have an echo chamber here where people slavishly follow the opinions of one person, anyone concerned about such a thing could make a very good start by going to their local university or television station or (if they still exist) newspaper office, or political party association, and lodge a complaint about groupthink and the slavish following of one set of opinions THERE rather than here, and you might actually be onto something useful. You're insulting the intelligence of every regular participant in this forum by suggesting such a thing exists here, and the only possible result of even presenting such an absurd opinion is to discredit your own opinions in general.

I find it ironic that we have this climate summit going on where a very complicated question still only manages to find one set of possible findings when in fact there could be all sorts of different opinions, approaches (or even non-approaches) discussed as per the full range of public opinion and not just the carefully cultivated set that they allow in their contrived media circus.

Post edited by M.T. Cranium on

To clarify another point, I do not confuse urban heat islands with the larger scale warming of the atmosphere, the points made in 2018 were valid ... urban heat islands are expanding and surrounding weather stations of long duration, the people who run the CET have acknowledged that fact and continue to adjust their temperatures for an urban effect which I think is probably more significant in the northern station they use in greater Manchester. I know for a fact that Toronto airport data have warmed mostly from urban heat island influences and not from ambient climate change, when I compare the increase there to the increases downtown over the same decades (downtown was always in the heat island so the growth factor is less). But I don't confuse this with readings taken in the arctic and subarctic which (as I stated in 2018 and it's certainly a primary conclusion of my arctic Canada research) have increased in recent decades from the inflow of milder air masses from the temperate latitudes.

In fact, the process by which the arctic is warming is mainly periodic inflow of these milder air masses, not from some overall modification of all air masses. If you have warmer air masses 20% of the time instead of 10% as in past decades (to use round numbers) then you will definitely see an increase. If the warmer air masses have positive anomalies of +20 or more, then having them around 20% of the time instead of 10% will lead to a 2.0 C increase. The main question for research is this -- are the milder air masses flowing into the arctic more often because arctic air masses are weaker and cannot hold them back, or is it because the storm tracks are shifting so that inevitably they get into warm sectors of low pressure systems and move in with those? And are those actually two different things or two ways of saying the same thing?

No doubt in my mind that the arctic is warming, but I am not that certain that human activity is the main or only reason. Shifts in the position of the north magnetic pole have correlated very well with temperature trends in many parts of North America since the middle of the 19th century onward. And the NMP is now in an entirely different place from where it was through much of the 20th century, it was in northern Canada until 1990, and has since moved all the way west to the vicinity of the IDL at about 86 deg north latitude. Its future path is predicted to be west then southwest towards the New Siberian Islands. If there is any connection between geomagnetism and climate then we will be into uncharted territory and the most obvious conjecture would be that eastern North America (and Greenland) would see a strong warming trend (as was the case in the MWP apparently), while eastern Asia would see a colder climate and Europe might see more volatility especially in winter and spring when blocking is normally most frequent.

Those conjectures are part of my concern about the potential (and I want to stress the word potential) for further warming in the eastern and central portions of the North American arctic with its extensive land ice cover. And there isn't a thing we can do to change any of that, nor does it bring me much optimism to realize that a connection between climate and geomagnetism is shunned by the profession generally so there definitely won't be any awareness or research done until the thing is well past the point of no return.

We have very little idea where the north magnetic pole may have been in the 9th to 11th centuries but we do know from various archaeological evidence that Newfoundland, Labrador and Greenland had an even warmer climate then, which promoted the Norse settlement of Greenland. While the MWP may not have been appreciably warmer in Europe than the 20th century, it was apparently warmer in those regions. And that's not the only time that warmer climates have appeared up in that region, another time was around 1500 BCE when apparently whale hunting was successful in portions of northern Canada that are now blocked to whale populations by sea ice (for example, islands southwest of Ellesmere Island). I have to wonder if perhaps the NMP in its relentless and somewhat random wandering was north of Asia and not North America in these warmer climatic intervals. We only have reliable positions for the NMP since about 1830. It was on the Canadian mainland then, and started to drift north around 1880, passing through central and northwestern islands of arctic Canada before leaving land altogether around 1990. Some have suggested it may have been over Victoria Island some time around the 17th century before arriving at its discovery position. If so, it has made a long elliptical track that has now overshot the point of origin but where was it before 1600? Nobody really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ireland 2021 and Climate Change

This year has been relatively quiet for Ireland weather wise but silently Climate change continues. Nights are now cloudy more often than before so we get few frosts. July brought an extreme heatwave which I believe was Irelands tipping point for Climate change. July 2021 was when irreversible Climate change arrived in Ireland. Its here now so blah blah blah COP26 won't change the weather.

Do ye really think if we all drive electric cars the weather will suddenly pause at 1.5c above pre industrial levels. Its like putting an ant against and elephant in a stamping match.

The ant says I'll be electric and electricutes the elephant so maybe a miracle can happen...can it?

Also this thread has a misleading name.

Published the thread” LOL, There must be some mileage on your tesuarse at this point.

One weakness that I see in the IPCC approach is that they are very slow to adjust their thinking to new information, preferring instead to demonize the sources of new information.”

^What information are you referring MT?

significant (natural) warming in decades to come was some new conclusion from ongoing research.”

^What would the source of this natural warming be?

All of the crap about a cult of personality and echo chamber have been debunked before

^The only person debunked is you with your mad cap ideas and your attempts to bury them in endless paragraphs of high falutin language that is in reality in fact all just wind-bagging. Remember the Bering straights Damming plan you “concocted” well a little research I did and “ published” afterward totally debunked that idea, coarse you went to ground like Saddam for a period after but now matter. BTW this latest flooding of land masses idea stinks too.

”people you are accusing of submitting to this are independent”

^No they aren’t they don’t even read articles of interest published by the “enemy” instead they spit acid on them from atop there bar stools. You your self refused to consider several things that I “republished” and to be fare unlike the rest of them admitted it without the usual obfuscation. What does make me chuckle is that when the “alarmists” on here read denier source material and subsequently blow holes in it they are labelled neo liberals and apocalyptoes.

I wouldn’t say any regular poster here went to college or grew up during the age of cancel culture as it is today or even over the last five years when it starting becoming endemic. I think your just playing a card there. Sometimes I read your posts and think this guy is just a joker an insurgent of sorts..

Seems like a lame objection to me that there are "too many words" in my posts, this being a discussion forum on the internet, not some people text messaging about their tee times or where to meet for drinks. Nobody is forced to read them, there is an ignore function available to you if you find it to be a waste of your time.

As to debunking "my" Bering straits proposal, that isn't my proposal at all, I had doubts about it myself when I heard about it. The first time I read something about it, the proposal was to build the dam across a wider portion south of the narrowest part (which has two islands mid-way, the Diomedes and is otherwise about 70 km wide). That part I didn't quite get, but then a revamped idea came along with the dam to be part of a railway link that was going to run from China through Russia into Alaska and join up with existing railroads further southeast in North America.

It all seems very ambitious to me and I would not call myself a strong proponent of it, I mentioned it as one thing that could be studied.

Anyways, practising cancel culture and then claiming not to be part of it seems intellectually dishonest to me, but this is a MASSIVELY dishonest age full of lies and we are all getting used to that unpleasant fact in one way or another. The cancel culture comes from leftists getting angry that after decades of opportunity for the lesser people to come into a proper alignment with their correct thoughts, we have failed to do so, and now it's time to enforce compliance or else. Is that about right?

part of solving and or coming up with a plan to mitigate a problem is understanding why it’s happening. Otherwise your just looking for a needle in a dark room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Agreed but you’ll never get consensus.

one thing I think we can all agree on is climate change is happening so how best to prepare, no?

In an earlier post you said

“I am glad I am old enough to have gone to university (in a left-dominated environment,”

Then you said “The cancel culture comes from leftists getting angry

^strange!

Bering straits proposal, that isn't my proposal at all, I had doubts about it myself when I heard about it.

^Then why didn’t say that at the time or at least not advocate it as a solution.

Post edited by Banana Republic 1 on

That goes back to why is it happening do we continue on as normal and just build a few sea walls or stop and change what we are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cloudier, thus warmer, winter nights, even under optimal anticyclonic conditions, do seem to be becoming a thing. Last winter was the perfect example of that. Sunny cool days only to be followed by an inexplicable bank of cloud to develop by dusk and remain there for the night. Not sure what 'the science' is to explain why that happens but happening more often it most certainly is.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Still radio silence from all of them regarding what he said. You can only imagine the replies if one of us said that. Sums them up to be honest and I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's absolutely hilarious. F**king crackpots on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

MOD NOTE: Pointless memes, personal attacks and poor language have no place on this thread, posts deleted and warnings issued. Please remain somewhat courteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

radio silence on what? The comments made are in line with previous posts from MT. Ignore Thelonious Monk, he was outraged in the last thread where MT shared his thoughts, so either memory loss of faux outrage, equally for Arkasia.

Not everyone supports each other’s points of view.

The group think certainly is one sided, as evidence of sentiments thrown MT’s way. It was swift pile in by a troll, a spam bot and an alarmist fanatic and as expected ‘playing the ball’ was not on the agenda, more of a character assassination. Which some in here have been accused of and continue to display.

So the real question is what have people in here done to make a change? As this is often ignored it can be assumed very little. We know that a prominent Alarmist poster in here feels it’s solely at the government. Wonder if COP is actually short for Cop-out? Probably.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see that champions of AGW Alarmism have a larger CO2 footprint than even the hard core ‘deniers’.. You’ll never see a study like that however.

The bigger issue with making any headway is the mentality. The overwhelming majority in here have advocated for clean energy, no pollutants, sustainable living ect.. Yet one poster has consistently berated them simply because they don’t accept their viewpoint. This is where the ‘holier than thou’ comes in.

The "radio silence" is because they hold different opinions and don't follow lock-step with my opinions as some have alleged. So there's no real mystery there. Anyway, the logic of it is fairly obvious, if I'm right about natural variability swinging towards accelerated warming then we would see those kinds of impacts with your AGW signal embedded (and you can't reduce that entirely because of the long residence time of greenhouse gases, if it's +0.8 C of the +2.0 C warming now seen in some areas, then it will stay +0.6 or +0.7 for decades, and the IPCC strategy acknowledges this because they say we should avoid going higher than +1.5 further. I agree that we should try to avoid going higher but what if we just do anyway, are we going to continue the blame game or start preparing for the rise of sea levels? This has been the position I have taken since mentioning the third approach to climate change. It's new thinking for me, as noted, previously I thought natural variability would be a more benign and friendly influence counteracting some of the AGW signal, as I think it may have been doing in a few recent years. We do have this small window of opportunity to plan before the natural warming kicks in, then I can't see how we avoid the sea level rises despite the best efforts of governments following strategies developed at these meetings (which I tend to see rather skeptically as window dressing but anyway, I am not in any position of power or authority where the decision making would take note of my concerns, so just a spectator on the sidelines, hoping that governments will figure out in time that they must move from prevention to mitigation).

There's a thread open in the forum where you can predict what you think will happen (it doesn't ask for a temperature prediction for the year 2050 but it does ask for a guess about sea level changes and Greenland ice melt). You can compare my opinion to others there, and you'll find that most others who have posted so far are much less pessimistic than me. Perhaps part of it comes from the fact that I live a long way up above sea level so there's not as much of a direct fear factor involved, but the main reason is simply that most people think the AGW signal will be reduced by current plans and actions, and that natural variability will stay within narrower ranges than my estimates. And to be frank, I hope they are right. I am not hoping to see calamity on a massive scale (although it probably would not start until after I pass anyway).

I think everyone here would probably agree on one thing, research into past climates has shown that sudden changes of a fairly large magnitude have happened in the past, on the time scale of decades rather than millennia. Some of the fluctuations suggested by ice core samples are on the order of 3-5 C deg and those happened over quite small intervals. Of course there are theories about what caused those changes, ranging from volcanic activity to sudden discharges of dammed up fresh water as glaciers receded. So some probably think that magnitude of change won't happen in these present circumstances. I don't think 5 C deg is within the realm of possibility (at least not +5, maybe -5 if there was enough disruption). But I do think 2-3 C is within the realm of possibility. Air mass temperatures are quite distinct from each other and changes in air mass frequency can bring about large changes in short periods of time. We have only to look back to Dec 2015 to see that 2 s.d. shifts are possible. Would anyone here want to bet against other Dec 2015 type warmings in the near future?

• Advertisement

We discussed this once before and I called it "global blanding" because it seems to me that a worldwide trend is for climates to shift into narrower ranges of variability while they warm. Certainly the change in frequency of record temperatures bears this out. In places where I was able to remove an urban heat island contamination, I found quite consistently that while the frequency of record highs has increased by about 30 to 50 per cent since some earlier base such as 1881-1930, the frequency of record lows has decreased by more than 150 per cent. I just finished compiling the record high and low maxima for the CET data set (1878 to present for those, they have mean daily from 1772 but only 1878 for the daily extremes). One half of the record low maxima were in the period 1878 to 1910 and the other half since 1910, and of that half, almost all were before 1990. Except for that cold spell in late 2010, and a few record lows in 2013 and 2018, most years since 1998 have seen none at all. (1998 to 2009 completely shut out).

The change in frequency of record highs while similar in its trends is not quite that unbalanced. So what we are seeing is a shift in air mass frequency with missing arctic air masses being replaced about equally by moderate (polar is the term used although I wish they would change that as polar and arctic seem like two ways of saying the same thing), and tropical (which is really subtropical when applied to European climatology). The same trends show up in analyses for Toronto, New York City, and the Canadian arctic.

Another interesting finding is that the two sides of the Atlantic show a tendency to hit record highs or lows much more frequently than at random at similar times, which indicates an external source of the variability. If there was a standard lag time from North America to Europe it would suggest air mass transfer across the Atlantic, and if the opposite, it would signal retrograde flow. Neither seem to be anywhere near as significant as simultaneous reception of warm or cold signals, which points at the Sun's variability in output as the main factor in play. This is not quite a dominant signal, you can find plenty of examples where there are not simultaneous outcomes, but the frequency of records overlapping in spells of several days is quite striking. It was particularly evident in Nov-Dec 2015. But it's not a new thing, another year with multiple overlaps was 1888.

My thinking may be changing on some issues but one factor remains constant, and that is caution about taking the AGW signal as being a dominant player and natural variability as a minor factor. I think that's the main weakness of the IPCC approach and it is what I meant when I said that they tend to dismiss new findings. A lot of research has been done on teleconnections and the frequency of El Nino events, that they seem to think is irrelevant. And there is absolutely no chance any of them would read through any of my research, all of which was done exactly the same way that climatology was done before climate science displaced it. Their comeback is always "well you're not a qualified scientist" which is just a circular argument -- anyone who disagrees with us can't be legitimate. Obviously for me it is a long-term frustration that has no other answer than that the prevailing orthodoxy would change from within, and I have no way to influence that possible outcome from the outside. Very similar things have happened in scientific controversies in the past, but we never seem to learn from that.

Advertisement