Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault at high school in the State of Virginia.

Options

Comments

I can confirm that this is false.

I did use the phrase, "Utterly evil human beings", and it was directed toward the minority on the Left who have bullied, abused, and issued death threats to the philosophy professor, Kathleen Stock.

And yes, to that end, I stand by my remarks. But they are not what you have represented in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There’s a fair bit of passing the buck going on when it comes to accommodating prisoners who are transgender in the Irish prison system, but one of the problems is that there are no guidelines as to how they are to be accommodated -

Robert Purcell is correct in observing that the law that was enacted in 2015 didn’t envisage this situation, nor should it have done, any more than marriage laws should have envisaged spousal rape, child neglect and sexual abuse or domestic violence. One thing simply has nothing to do with the other.

Recognising everyone has an equal right to their gender identity and having that being recognised as a protected characteristic in Irish law is a matter of civil law. Criminal offences are a matter of criminal law -

And just in case anyone is thinking they can simply identify their way out of a possible criminal conviction, that much was envisaged -

Effect of gender recognition certificate generally

(6) The issue of a gender recognition certificate shall not affect the rights or liabilities of a person or consequences of an action by the person in their original gender prior to the date of issue of the certificate.

Gender specific offences

23. (1) Where (apart from this subsection) a relevant gender-specific sexual offence could be committed or attempted only if the gender of the person to whom a gender recognition certificate is issued were not the preferred gender, the fact that the person’s gender has become the preferred gender does not prevent the sexual offence being committed or attempted.

(2) An offence is a relevant gender-specific sexual offence if a condition specified in subsection (3) is satisfied.

(3) The following conditions are referred to in subsection (2):

(a) that the offence may only be committed by a person of a particular gender;

(b) that the offence may only be committed against, or in relation to, a person of a particular gender.

(4) A part of the body surgically constructed (in particular through gender assignment surgery) is the same, for the purposes of a sexual offence, as a part of the body not so surgically constructed.

(5) In this section “sexual offence” means an offence specified in the Schedule to the Sex Offenders Act 2001 .

Also -

Exemptions under the Equal Status Acts

Under the Equal Status Acts there are certain exemptions in relation to the provision of goods and services, that allow people to be treated differently.

Risk of criminal or disorderly conduct where a provider of goods/services, or a person providing accommodation or related services, can refuse service/accommodation to a person if a reasonable individual, having the knowledge and experience of the provider, would form the belief that the provision of service/accommodation to the customer would produce a substantial risk of criminal or disorderly conduct or behaviour, or damage to property in or around the area where the service is provided.

Exemptions on specific grounds

The Acts allow people to be treated differently on ground of gender in relation to:

• Cosmetic Services, covering cosmetic, aesthetic or similar services which involve physical contact (e.g. hairdressing);
    • Privacy/Embarrassment, where embarrassment or breach of privacy could reasonably be expected to happen on account of the presence of a person of another gender.

The idea of conflating biology with behaviour ignores the most basic and obvious reality that there is simply no correlation between them whatsoever. It also ignores the reality that a number of women in the UK have been convicted of sexual assault by what is termed ‘rape by deception’ -

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

oo

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Yeah, I was more responding to the posts that claim that predatory men using self-id or trans-inclusive policy to gain access to vulnerable women and/or children to intimidate, rape or attack them is something that will never happen.

It has happened, it is happening, it will continue to happen, and the more safeguarding measures are dropped in pursuit of "inclusivity" (as defined by a very specific, minority ideology), the more it will happen.

It's Chesterton's fence.

"In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it." ~G.K. Chesterton

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

That Chesterton quote has never been more germane.

What's troubling about this debate is the certainty on one side of the equation, that they know the truth - are unwilling to debate or argue through it, and that anyone who disagrees with "the Truth" is by definition committing a modern day form of heresy.

The trans- and gender self-identification question is, in many respects, new. And as a relatively new question, there are many issues to unpack - social, biological, legal etc. Remember that even not all trans- people agree on these topics, either. Instead, there is ambiguity among brethren. And that's healthy and right and their opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

I'm sure there are many aspects of my belief on this question that are wrong and others that are right. But I'm at least willing to debate the issue and see where things lead. The other side of the equation are unwilling to concede the same. Instead, they have all the answers already and can speak ex cathedra about what is right and what is wrong. If you disagree with the doctrine of the Church, you may find yourself ostracized from society. You may even lose your job on the proposition.

In summary: the rest of us need to shut up and listen.

Furthermore, this is the worst possible means to sway that swathe of the population who remain as yet unconvinced. Forcing this ideology down their throats, without any editing or comment, will only deepen their resolve to rebel. If you want the population to go with you, the argument must be understood from their perspective and discussed in a civilised and respectful manner. That's how you change hearts and minds.

But to shout "transphobe" at every opportunity; to cancel at a whim; and to be so conceited as to assume that you know everything you need to know, is doomed to fail - as has proved to be the case over the last number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Bizarre. We've had multiple loooong threads full of vigorous debate and you're trying to pretend one side (conveniently the opposite to the side you are on) refuse to debate. So silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

@eskimohunt. that they know,

Well from experience they don't know they don't even have the basics ,if you follow a cohort of posters you will see one makes the usual it's all about inclusiveness and equality followed by others saying the same thing while running around in circles chasing their tails .

It's usually ends with your all woman hating , homophobic ,tranpbobes ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Last time I was in a Brussels chocolate house off the plaza I used a mixed genders bathroom. The outside bathroom door did not have a lock to temporarily keep any gender from entering. I entered when someone who appeared to be of the opposite gender was using the sink. I simply went to one of the WCs and locked its individual door. Problem solved.

The point being that there may be a time and place where, in general, persons can be respectful of each other’s needs without abuse. So much so that they only required one bathroom in the chocolate house mentioned.

Certainly, there are times when I would prefer to have only same gender facilities like gym locker rooms and showers. Defining gender in these specific cases has become problematic recently. Not sure there are easy answers to this aspect.

But in the OP example, the offense occurred in a bathroom. I believe the place was coincidental, and that the offender would have used other venues to abuse others in the past and future. In addition to other complications, should this individual exception be grounds to bar the use of multi-use genders bathrooms like Brussels? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I don't care about gender, at all. And as for gender identity, I'm basically an atheist. I believe other people when they tell me about their faith and their very strong internal feelings about the things they call gender identity, but I'm no more convinced that it's real than I am convinced that my gran is drinking the literal blood of a Middle-Eastern man who lived 2000+ years ago when she tells me it's so.

But I would like to retain single-sex facilities. Not just for the reasons of safeguarding as mentioned above, but because there are things that I am simply more comfortable doing in a women-only space than in a mixed environment, like washing hands after changing a tampon or washing out a menstrual cup.

We can't really know whether in this case, the offender would have raped this girl in this bathroom at that time with a different policy in place. But I think it's naive to think that male predators would somehow not take advantage of the lowered safeguarding measures around women's spaces. It strikes me as particularly naive in Ireland, given the shameful history of clergy using societal/cultural trust to take advantage of women and children.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

It stands to reason that more predators will use this route.

If you are a sexual predator, you are obsessed by committing the crime. If you can don a dress and self-identify as female for an afternoon, that's exactly what you will do to get what you want. If you are a serial sexual abuser and want access to female prisons, that's what you'll do too.

And the theory has already been put into practice.

Why have so many predators in recent years self-identified as women if there was no additional advantage whatsoever? (otherwise, we would have to believe they are coincidentally self-identifying as women at the same time they are committing the crime).

Clearly, the predators see an advantage.

We shouldn't ignore what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i read an article about this , his mother says he is not trans,he does not identity as a trans woman, he simply chooses to wear a dress to school one day a week for some reason.

i think women need safe spaces where they can go like bathrooms ,changing rooms .is it really a good idea to allow a 15 year old boy to enter a womans bathroom , just because he decides to wear a dress to school that day.maybe they could simply state up til the age of 18 men ,boys use the male bathroom, ,women use the womens bathroom in schools .i,m not saying that lbgt people or trans women should not have rights and be allowed to wear what they want to wear

Also, it's terrible to regress into the social stereotypes that all women "wear dresses, have handbags, red lipstick etc.".

We thought we moved away from these social stereotypes.

Now they are considered the gold standard for reality.

That only the very real-est women behave like this / look like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You repeatedly referred to 'The Left' as a grouping and now you are backtracking and saying you were only talking about a few specific people.

So either, you're comfortable with calling people evil while claiming you ever so polite and restrained, or you are exaggerating the scope of people on the left who behave unacceptably.

Either way, it's not a great look for your argument.

Except it's the anti-trans side who are assuming he is trans because he wore a skirt.

TRAs are just saying he's a boy in a skirt. No stereotyping of gender there.

Nobody "allowed him" into the bathroom. They arranged to meet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The rapist deserves life in a hell hole prison

There was a similar case in the UK , nobody got attacked but similarly a male teenager decided he was gender fluid his mother went to the media to tell the world her Child was being discriminated against by his school ,the days he identified as female were the days that involved swimming and sports and he should have full access to the girls changing areas even if the girls felt uncomfortable changing with a teenage boy .

He raped her. In a women's bathroom. He shouldn't have been there.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not. It is 100% his fault and the victim had zero part to play. As with all rape victims.

I don't blame a woman for setting up a meeting with the man she has no idea will rape her. I'm just explaining why he was in the bathroom and why it has nothing to do with trans women using women's bathrooms.

But you seem to think that the fact that she arranged to meet the boy who went on to rape her Makes her responsible somehow.

So you are victim blaming. Not me. I was just stating a fact nyou chose to interpret that fact in a way that blames her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If no one sees that for what it is then society has some serious issues - find people using gender fluid very hard to believe

Anyone with a penis shouldn't be allowed in a women's bathroom.

The fact that saying that is even slightly controversial is **** absurd.

Unfortunately this is what's happening ,and if girls or women speak up and say we feel uncomfortable there labelled as tranpbobes and women haters ,bigots .

God forbid we gave women and girls rights and the ability to speak for themselves now we have a tiny minority damning them for speaking out and saying we are not comfortable and we should have a say in our spaces

Shouldn't women who are fine with trans women sharing their space have a say too?

Or is it only women who agree with you who get a say?

I have a huge issue with being compelled to accept that biology is not as important as someone's identity. I'm transphobic.

I have a huge issue with BLM and wholeheartedly believe that race should not be the focal point of how a person is treated. I'm a racist.

I believe that men and women are different and the differences should be acknowledged. I'm misogynistic.

I don't care how anyone lives their lives. Let them at it.

It's **** clown world.

As pointed out early in the thread, there is nothing stopping anyone walking into any room they wish. There are posters here that are suggesting he was in a female bathroom because he was trans, there is no proof of that, in fact a few posters have posted links to where he was going on to actually meet the girl.

Doesn't matter what clothes he was wearing

• Advertisement

Exactly. He wasn't there to use the toilets. He was there to meet someone.

Absolutely nothing to do with trans people using toilets.

Of course anti-trans people can't do an embarrassing stepdown now so they'll double down on the nonsense and end up looking ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement