Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

Why is this pointless thread still running? Don't the noisy Anglos have anything better to do than rant in their echo chamber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No you haven't and no I haven't.

This is virtue signaling and playing the victim card and you're nto the victim.

My stance is simple: I'm all for the preservation and betterment of the langauge by any means nessecary EXCEPT mandatory Irish in schools because 1) I beleive students should choose for themsleves, and 2) it doesn't bloody well work! THe first one is apparently "Orwellian" and the second one seems to be the fart at the dinenr tbale everyone smalls but pretends not to notice.

It's not a life skill for reasons pointed out at least four times: people lead succesful, happy, fully-functioning lives without Irish - prove this wrong and I'll retract the statement.

Now if THAT stance makes me "geenrally contemptuous" than that's your opinion but I disagree that being "all for the preservation and betterment" of something is contemptuous.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

In a vacuum the dominant language is necessary it doesn't matter what it is.

English is necessary, I live in Ireland.

I don't care what language you speak to your family in but I'm going to make two assumptions, 1 - you also live in Ireland, and 2- your kids can also speak English. So you don't need to speak to them in Irish you want to and I'm not going to stop you, even if I could, but that doesn't detract from it being unnecessary.

I could relearn Irish but there's no benefit for me in doing so.

And English is the most common second language in the world so knowing it is a benefit almost anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

But it was you who mentioned costs, would have thought you could have expanded on it, no? Maybe not so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Your criteria are wrong and exclusionary.

Some (and perhaps most) people lead successful, happy, fully-functioning lives in Ireland without Irish (i.e. with English).

That makes English a life-skill using your criteria, but that does not exclude Irish from being a life-skill.

And I refer you to my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's not my criteria - it's what the words actually mean.

You are not being prevented from participating fully particiapating only not being able to particiapte in the exact way you want.

In the must-have, could-use, would-be-nice tier list of life skills Irish, in Ireland in 2021, is firmly in the would be nice category for Irish speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

The notion that Gaelic speakers in (the tattered remnants of ) the Gaeltacht are paid to speak the 'beautiful' ancestral tongue is flat out hilarious not to mention pure farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

And what in the name of the good God would be the point of this insane attempt at (socio)linguistic engineering ? I'm amazed there's anyone around who actually still thinks like this. This is the stuff of fantasy and delusion.

• Advertisement

I'm in favour of completely abolishing the English language in primary and secondary schools and replacing it with Irish. I don't see why that wasn't done from the very beginning in 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Put simply it's because the English language is Irelands primary native language for all practical purposes and has been for a long time. The first language most people learn to speak is English. Any attempt to support the Irish language is doomed to failure unless this simple fact is acknowledged.

My question was any study been actually done on the effectiveness of Gaelscoils and the current Irish language supports? A huge amount of investment has been focused on the school system but is this effective or are there better ways to support the language? What research has been done? Based on a century of having Irish in schools the best can be said is the language isn't dead. However this may be a success when competing against the global lingua franca. But again what does the research say?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If someone truly wanted to judge the actual support for the Irish language among the majority of Irish people trying the above would be a surefire way to find out and I'd bet it would not be the answer Irish language enthusiasts would want to hear.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kind of a linguistic "year zero" if you will.

Throw people into a forced labour camp if they resist. A Gaeltacht Gulag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Revival of a neglected cultural identity of Ireland. That has been severely neglected and requires a push for a mindset change. As evident from the OP's attitude. Instead of being proud of the Irish language the OP views the language as 'other' and a few signs written bilingually as an imposition. It is an extremely odd way of thinking and it is unfortunately a colonial hangover. Which resulted in sociolinguistic engineering in the first place. It would given time right a wrong and set things right. You can't make an egg without breaking a few omelettes.

All people need is a bit of a push. Instead of half doing it do it right or not at all. EU law would back it on a cultural basis and The bits and bobs of Irish legislation on the Irish language could actually be made use of for a change. Instead of this weak lily livered half assed approach on it. It is time to get tough on it. And stop the half assed softly. softly approach IMO. Or else don't bother at all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I have already said as much on this thread numerous times. It seems simple to me. Make all schools Gaelscoils from at least Primary Level. And gradually secondary as well over time. As it takes effect over time 20 years or so. Phasing out of English spoken at civil service level and public places. Incentives for spoken Irish - when ordering car insurance on the phone through Irish etc. And eventually incentives for day to day activities when Irish language is spoken in the use of services in daily live. 20% off or something to that effect should do it.

Oh, I thought you had serious ideas that might have some chance of support from the public.

What you propose is akin to the what the Soviets did with their satellite republics through forced learning of Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Us Irish speakers are more physically gifted than anglophiles and with our bionic vision can easily read small slanted text driving at 130 km/hour

It is merely a reversal on how English became the defacto of the Irish state. A reversal of that colonial mindset. Some will never change from it. You may call it forced learning. I call it a change of mindset and incentivisation - get them young simple as that.

All phased Gaelscoils and Naíonra would do this fairly simple. You seem to forget that English was forced upon the Irish people. In fact the Irish language was banned/discouraged. What I propose is a much softer reversal in comparison, but tougher than the half assed messing that the Irish government does currently with the Irish language. The OP is a prime example of a consequence of such half assed messing. A deep seated colonialist hangover.

I do not propose banning the English language merely incentivising Irish language use and in 20 years the Irish language would be in a much better place IMO. With entrenched/odd views like the OP which are odd it is the only way to go. Otherwise there is no point in it. If they are going to do it at all it should be done right once and for all.

I hear you regarding how the situation came about however after this length of time I think it's safe to say the horse has well and truly bolted.

Any moves to do what you envisage would die at the ballot box as voters would not support it, regardless of history

I disagree, given that it starts off with the youth and the youth will have no baggage to the Irish language. It should not be an issue.The youth are blank canvases

Complete educational reform is the way if people were really serious about it. And it should be done on a non partisan party political level. Either they support the improvement of the state of the Irish language or they are only messing around otherwise with half measures. After a complete educational overhaul with the all Irish schools in 20 years there would be a generation with no baggage to the Irish language as it was the norm. Also there would be an appreciation and love for the language. No fear of it. The next focus after that would be state bodies etc. And gradually the Dail would mainly function in Irish in another 20 years (as most politicians are about 40 ish and up. So by the majority would have the required Irish language level to debate in Irish.

If my plan was implemented and done properly - I would guess in 50 years time Irish society would happily switch between Irish and English in conversation. Or whatever other language they happen to speak. The baggage many currently have with the Irish language would be lifted. And there would be a 180 on the current mindset that Irish is somehow 'other'.

Your plan is contingent on zero resistance from parents and teachers

That plan kind of falls down once you have to find 66,000 Irish speaking qualified teachers.

• Advertisement

And that idea as been sht down numerous times - did you actually read any of it or are you just blindfolding yourself against it?

You said yourself - the mindset isn't there. ANd that's jyst the start of it.

"The youth are little more than blank canvasses" - that's delusional for so many reasons. One - you have no respect for the youth or what they want, instead seeing them as mindless tools to do you bidding; Two - the fact that the youth are your biggest obstacle and most opposed to the idea. They don't like school and exams to start off with and that's before you even get to how the feel about Irish and the idea of getting them to do it what is to a lot of them a foreign language.

If the mindset is not there - and you say it is - it's not going to magially come back by forcing it upon people and making theri education and their childrens' education even more difficut and stressful.

You have zero respect for the people who are the most inportant and you think they'll succum to your bidding on a whim...??

That is how I would go about 'changing' the colonial mindset though. This thread is symptom of the problem. I know my idea has been shot down numerous times. Another poster quoted me and asked me a question as to what my solution would be. It is what I would do and it would be real practical movement rather than the current fluting about. Which is a veneer.

The Irish people's mindset to Irish is currently warped due to outside forces over 150 years. To bring about real change it is necessary to take drastic action. Educational reform is a simple one in reality. Plenty of teachers have Irish - easy from playschool to primary level in all Irish. The mealy mouthed attitudes such as the OP need to be sidelined, as such people are beyond help. Let the youth develop Irish following immersion in the Irish education system. And the chat of Irish been taught wrong grammar/rote etc will be gone. Also gone will be the Irish is 'other' attitude from the OP. Which is on the fringes as it is. But would be gone if the Irish education system was changed.

Time, patience. reform = results.

So if being taught through Irish fosters a love of the language how do you explain people like me who were taught through Irish (up until third year in my case) but still have no love for the language? To the gulag with them?

Nne of this inplies that you have done anythign of the sort: for a start - have you actualls asked to see if anyone else sees theer mindest as colonial for a start? And if they don't, what then? If they don't want what you want - what then? If the desire is there, then why aren't people leanring it now? Why are students not studying it with vigour and enthusiasm?

You come across as someone who neither knows nor cares what people want. You jsut tell yourself that they want what you want and therefore everything will be grand in the end.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone can explain your "no love" experience with Irish up to 3rd year except you.

What didn't you like? What could have improved it?

People reading this thread might be interested in this book: A history of Ireland in 100 words.

The 100 words are Irish Language words.

I think the reviews are quite telling..... "Fascinating approach to the history of Ireland through its language".

I put its language in bold there.

Irish adds value and it is ours.

You are just making generalised statements now I have made my points extremely clear. You on the other hand just want to shoot down constantly that seems to be your posting style.

Plenty of questions but no actual ideas of your own, or real interesting comments on the issue. Which I think is in part your own bias on the Irish language issue - if I am to be brutally honest.

You just don't seem to like my answers or opinions on the issue and that is fine. It is an internet debate forum. But don't try this muddying the water craic. I have clearly said this thread is evidence to me of a colonial mindset an odd one at that.

But is evident in India following British rule, where there was a group of Indians who wanted to replace Hindi and other Indian dialects with English. And as a result much of the Indian education system is done through English and viewed as the superior language.

People may not even realise it but that is what it is. If it can cause a societal linguistic change once under duress in 150 years, I believe in this day and age it is possible to change it back (somewhat) all it takes is focus on the youth who have little of the same hang ups many of the posters on this thread have including the OP.

I mentioned how the OP views the Irish language as an enveloping lava some sort of threat. Yet the OP never explained why he/she views the Irish language as a threat. Others in the middle ground have mentioned that most in Ireland do not speak Irish as a community language, but think it would be 'a shame' if it went.

I think it is those middle ground who are young parents who need the push. I believe that middle ground would have no problem with an Irish language immersion education system.

Make it really free no 'voluntary contributions' required and see what happens. Gradually phase it in as I already mentioned Playschool - Primary then secondary. It is about 16 years for one full educational cycle prior to university (including playschool).

Never mind the fringe people like the OP who are going to hate Irish no matter what anyway. Or those fluent in Irish who believe there is only one sort of Irish language etc.

I am on about the middle ground and I firmly believe if that middle ground were given the necessary incentive and push - in 50 years Irish and English would be used interchangeably in conversation in Ireland. In a natural manner.

OK, the standard may not be as high as English but it would be much improved to the current situation of just 100k speaking the language, as a community one.

There is always going to be exceptions to the rule. A language itself is not going to cause anyone any harm. It must have been other factors that have caused you to feel that way.

It was just a language I spoke and did schoolwork in, I neither liked nor disliked it at the time but once I left school there was no real point to it. I have no real romantic attachment to any language. I speak English because that's how you get around in Ireland and I speak Japanese, not as well as I'd like mind you, because I like Japanese media.

I don't think I'm that unique either, my sister feels the same way about Irish, we went to the same schools, and ~2,500 students finish their education through Irish every year and I don't see them waving flags about Irish either.

I'm not saying it can't be done or shouldn't be done - I'm saying that people don't want it done.

I'm also sating that the way YOU want it done is selfish, arrogant and wildly dilusional because it's all about what YOU want.

The reason I don't make suggestions is because I'm pretty sure the populaiton doesn't want such a thing.

As Wibbs said; put this idea to the popuation and we'll find out exactly how many people want a a couple linguistic switch in theri childrens' education - and you won't like the results.

But, of course, you already know that - you just don't care.

ONe other thing - opposing said ideas doesn not mean you hate the langauge. Just the ignorance of some of the people advocating it.

But the point is that you have it and you can understand it - hold a conversation that is the starting point. You don't have to go around flag waving or anything. It is a foundation a start, which if everyone had the Irish language would be on a much more solid footing IMO. If people in daily life service industry use Irish as a matter of course you would have not much issue using Irish in a conversation. You would at the very least understand it and the bits you have forgotten would come back to you. But to me immersion education would be the bedrock of eventually reaching that stage where services in Ireland are done through Irish or Irish/English interchangeably.

I think people are afraid to start it, that is what I think. No one has even tried or suggested it. There is an 'ah sure it's grand as it is' attitude.

All it would take is one minister for education to bring in the reforms, then after that it becomes very difficult for succeeding governments to roll them back. As the plans would be in motion. Educational reforms do not have to be passed by referendum. Legislation just has to be passed. If enough of politicians are convinced by it would pass.

Also given the supposed SF rise do you think they would roll back any Irish language medium educational reform legislation? I sincerely doubt it.

By the way it is not just what 'I want'. It is about a serious suggestion about saving the Irish language for future generations. That is what it is about, rather than just the veneer of Irish signage. Piecemeal stuff like that on its own will not get results as proven in the past.

Again - its the people you nee to convince, not the politicians. They won't do a think that will cost them that many votes. Saying "I think people are..." proves to me that you don't know. And you've no interest in finding out.

And it most certainly IS about what YOU want. I agree with your last couple of sentences, but you need to sell the idea not make demands of people.

I'm not really sure your opinion over rules my experience.

But anyway it isn't going to happen outside of conscripting 24 years worth of students who sit the Leaving Cert in Irish as teachers.

• Advertisement

Yur frist step is to conduct a poll or canvas opinion. Publish some evidence that a majority of people are in for this idea - and specifcially, this idea, census results don't ask this. Then - and only then - can it move forward.

Irish people, by and large, don't want Irish to die out.

But they want 'someone else' to do the work of saving it. No sir, not me. I've no time/too old/was no good at it in school *insert excuse here*

Let the govt, the schoolkids, whoever...they'll save it so I don't have to do anything.

It's not fear, people just can't be arsed. They don't want to do it. Like it or lump it.

This is partly my point in my opinion there is a whole middle ground waiting to be incentivised. They just need a push IMO. Make it socially and socially more acceptable to speak Irish in Ireland. Give monetary incentives in education get them young. The majority of parents won't complain if there was an all Irish medium of education phased in at much less cost to those of English medium schools. It could become the norm. By osmosis some parents might even reignite their latent Irish or some might gain an interest

If you look at all the climate change stuff now and the change in attitudes from 30 years ago people would have laughed at you back then. Incentivisation, education, societal responsibility and the creation of new societal/cultural norms has resulted in the current change. People need to be given a bit of a push and an incentive until societal norms change and it becomes normalised.

If you get some Irish people abroad and they are not normally Irish speakers. And they see countries of other nations speaking their native tongue. Suddenly some of them get a burst of pride or shame and speak the 'cúpla focal'.

It is there to be tapped into. I remember Bernard Dunne (former boxer) mic in hand standing in the middle of Croke Park promoting Irish. His opening lines were 'I failed Irish at school....'

But then through education I believe it was a Sports related discipline he got the education bug, and gave Irish a lash again and found he enjoyed it. There is definitely an untapped number who just need that incentive/encouragement and push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

I understand the OP reasoning however the concept of changing education from pre school to secondary into Irish will lead to a lot of disengagement from parents. I want to help my kids be successful in their education- and I can only do that in English! What generation want to put their kids at a disadvantage? - take mandatory Irish out of the classrooms and offer it outside in social areas - GAA/Irish Dance etc and let who wants to learn it do so.

It takes effort. They don't want to do it. Full stop.

I'm sure there's things you couldn't care less about learning.

Can you not accept that and move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Gaelic speakers

... there he goes again.

In Ireland, when speaking English, we use the word Irish. For us the word Gaelic refers to the version spoken in Scotland.

The use of the word Gaelic to refer to Irish is common among Yanks, of course.

It is also used by a small minority of Irish people in order to express distaste for and distance from the language. It is very like using the N word for people with rather dark skin in the USA.

You may have been blind to this up until now (I doubt it) but I'm telling you just in case you were genuinely unaware ...

How do you explain the success of the gaelscoil movement? Clearly there are plenty of people willing to engage with Irish.

First downplaying the necessity of Irish is hate speech, now "gaelic" is basically the n-word (with or without the hard r?) I look forward to what's next.

It's an opinion board and that is mine it is not a question of shushing people and brushing it under the carpet. My point is people do want to do it. They have just not been given the necessary impetus.

Drink Driving - Culture changed (It used to be just the two will do)

Smoking Ban - some people referred to it as the nanny state it has worked - the culture changed

Climate Change Measures - we now buy peat from Latvia try explaining that to someone even a few years ago - Mary Harney banning non smokeless coal was seen as splitting the atom at one stage

Some did not want to this - but the majority went along with the status quo and it work. It became the norm.

-

However in my scenario it would be positive incentives rather than negatives relating to the Irish language. You have already admitted that laziness among the large majority is a factor. Even though they would not like the Irish language gone.

It is just a small bit of incentive they need that someone else puts in place for them simple as that. Amazed it has not been at least tried at this stage. A complete Educational revamp and Irish immersion at different stages and phased in simple. 20 years time plus would see results.

• Advertisement

There is a good explanation here aimed at non-Irish National viewers.

Advertisement