Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in 2021??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

You can still get a Bank approval while on probation. But you need to wait until your probation ends before you can drawdown. But between yourself waiting for the loan offer, the seller waiting for title deeds and solicitors dragging their feet, you could be at the end of your probation by the time you need to drawdown to close the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I sold my apartment in June, moved into a short term rental while we looked for a home that we'd consider staying in for life (mid 30s now). Prices have continued to rise and what you can get now in our max price range vs 12-18 months ago makes it a tough decision to shell out the money. There is also very little available in general.

We have been lucky enough to be offered the chance to buy the house we're renting without any bidding process, which I think is what we'll do. There is chronic undersupply in Ireland so I don't see prices coming down in the immediate future, it will take years. The house we're in now is a good 400k under our max price but will do us for 4-5 years and we can consider trading up at that point depending on how the market is. If prices continue to rise then at least we are on the ladder, if they fall and the house drops in value in 5 years then the gap between what we have and what we'd like has got smaller. It's also a terrible time to have money in the bank so at least this way our money can do something for us by saving on rent, we are in the lucky enough position to be able to buy in cash so no negative equity worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Talk to a mortgage broker and mention a "letter of comfort". My brother got a mortgage while still in a 2 year IT graduate program with a well know, big company. The letter from the company stated that yes, it was a fixed 2 year contract at the moment but is likely to turn into a permanent job at the end.

Some differences to your probation period but similarities too. Try it. I can see companies not playing ball though as its effectively ending probation early and exposing themselves. But they might.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Definitely worth a try. I know many HR departments in public sector / civil service organisations don't even mention a person is on probation for a salary cert, the permanent box is just ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shaw8494

Thanks for all the advice guys I think the company are good when it comes to that type of letter and I will definitely be checking out Credit Unions this week too. Hopefully it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ayushbhargava007

Hi people,

We are starting with the process of getting a new build house and eyeing on the upcoming launch in Graydon Newcastle.

I have following questions for you guys:

1. I have seen the area myself, and satisfied with the location and overall vibe. Supervalu is expected to be coming this year. Lucan village is nearby for any week shopping.

Any other reviews of this area from someone who has been living here?

2. Also, if someone can help us with a good and cheap solicitor. I am based in Sandyford Dublin.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FTBr

Hi, we moved into Graydon in 2021 and overall are very happy here.

The estate is pretty quiet really. Don't get me wrong there is already a good community spirit and people are very helpful.

We are also very happy with Cairn homes, the build quality is excellent and the after care team have been excellent for any fixes or touch ups we needed, all minor thankfully.

Newcastle has two main issues at the moment. The lack of a it's own supermarket and the level of public transport available.

As you said, SuperValu is currently under construction and also Lidl have applied for planning permission for a supermarket, cafe and another retail unit or two.

In terms of public transport there is only the hourly 68 and 69n(at weekends). The luas and train are close by but are only accessible by car at the moment. But this should also be resolved soon. A contract has been awarded as part of the bus connects plan for the W6 route. This will run every 15 mins and will connect Newcastle to the Saggart Luas stop and Hazelhatch train station. (Which will also be getting DART+ in 5 years or so)

Hope this helps.

Advertisement