Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’d rather people take the positives and be happy about stuff tbh. There’s more than enough whinging and misery around the place as it is.

Ultimately we saw a lot of the things I wanted to see. More variety in our attack being the biggest thing. I’d be concerned about some of the performances off the bench, but overall it’s signs of us moving in the right direction. I don’t think we’re at the end of that journey by any means. But for now at least I’m happy enough with what I’ve seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

100% agree.

What I wanted to see this autumn, before results, was progress and further evolution in our game and we got that today (result wasn't bad either)

I'm not overly concerned about the result next week. I want to see if we can go up against the best team in the world and play the same style we played today. If we can play that style v NZ, we can play it v anyone and we'll only become more comfortable and better at it as time goes on. Imagine how good we'll be at it in 2023.

We could have put 60 on Japan but all from pick and jams and rolling mauls and I wouldn't be happy. What I'm delighted with is the high tempo, ambitious, expansive brand we did it with.

Next week is going to be interesting for a few reasons. We’ve seen Leinster look to adopt a similar style so far this season, but haven’t come up against top class opposition so far. So exactly how this game will translate against quality opposition still remains to be seen. This will be the first time we really get to see that and it will inform where both Leinster and Ireland can expect to be over the next year or so at least.

We’ll obviously not get anywhere near the platform we got today and will need to tweak our approach accordingly, but we can still show a lot of the same fundamentals in doing that. If we can give ourselves a platform worth a damn it could be a very entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm calling out anyone who thinks Henderson is a superior player to James Ryan in a straight head to head.

Lets be having you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

He was last season on many counts. As recognised by serious rugby people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

The Japan game really showed why Farrell is sticking with Lowe. He wasn't tested in defense and he made a couple of mistakes, didn't take a pass from JPG early on and threw another into touch, but he was ever present in midfield creating line breaks and bringing real pace and inventiveness into the game. Conway played very well, was very solid defensively, caught or controlled his high balls, chased grubbers and linked up very well, and he took his tries superbly, but Lowe's ability to show up and make big contributions in midfield is something Ireland have been crying out for. His quick passing and offloading really enhances our ability to change the point of attack. It gives our play an element of unpredictability that will unsettle an organized defense and can create space. With JPG's speed of ball, Lowe's skills and creativity are potential dynamite. JPG was very good and I'd say he is first choice at this point. Other than a nice grubber for Conway's third try Murray did nothing except give up penalties and slow Ireland's attack down.

Obviously Ireland had more time and space against Japan than we'll get against most top teams but it was nice to see players coming onto passes from rucks at pace instead of static one out stuff we are used to. I'm not sure what to say about Carbery but when he, POM and Murray came on Japan got their only sustained period of possession in the game. He had a couple of excellent kicks to touch but also a couple to nowhere downfield. He's not the answer on today's showing. Interesting to consider how the game might have played out had he started, Im sure we'd have won but not sure it would have been the exhibition we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

NZ were beyond awful vs Italy. Admittedly, not a lot of that side will appear vs Ireland, but I personally do not share my compatriot's view that ireland are seen as easybeats. In fact I give Ireland a decent chance, NZ are not currently as good as past iterations. I only watched the first half of your game vs Japan, but colour me impressed. Not sure what Schmidt would have made of all that off-loading! NZ should defend better than Japan though, who were pretty disappointing I thought TBH. Good luck for the game anyway.

NB: I still maintain that Keenan would not have disgraced a Lions shirt. He was - once again - very good yesterday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Beyond awful' after racking up almost 50 points. Are you the Kiwi Lawrencesummers? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Not unless the All Blacks decide to use their lucky red kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Managed to watch this match finally. Outrageous off loading and runners taking the ball at pace! Who knew? Pack was very good. Fast, mobile and ruthless. We could have gone to the corners and probably mauled the ball over a couple of times!

JGP deserves to start next week. He was really good. Good, quick service during his appearance. He's just so much quicker than Murray. The tempi was insane during the 1st half.

Conway on form, is the best wing on the island. The total package. Savage yesterday!

Sexton is just..... considerably better than our other options. It's really mind boggling that he is this good at his age.

Conan is a complete player. Serious running lines and pace. Not bad in the line out either.

I thought VDF was fairly quiet, but he thrives defensively. He still did his job.

The team went into the abyss of fuqery when the subs arrived.

Aki and Ringrose both very sharp. Keenan is quietly becoming a star. Insane ability. That pass...

Lowe had a good day! Should get called upon next week! A good confidence builder for him.

I thought Sheehan was brilliant! Not sure if Kelleher will hold him off. Both of them are fine athletes. It will be a neck and neck battle going forward.

Porter is so much better in the loose than Healy. Age is a factor of course, but when the front row was changed, we lost some momentum.

Thought POM did well. He got stuck in and I think he gets the nod next week.

Henderson must be the strongest player we have. He held up a lad like he was a pound of butter, all the while looking at the ref.

We will test NZ next week. I think with a little luck... winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Where has James Ryans form been? Hasn’t produced a big display in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont think warren posts here.

Hard to believe he has been so successful without the knowledge freely available here so maybe he lurks.

A part of me can't help but feel Jack Carty would absolutely thrive in this system we're playing.

Carbery was poor when he came on but it wasn't much of a surprise as he's been poor for the last 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Changes for New Zealand?

Hendo-san in, Beirne to 6, Doris to bench, with O'Mahony dropping out of the XXIII. Baird as bench lock for impact.

Kilcoyne for Healy on the bench, maybe?

Harry Byrne and Baloucoune on the bench instead of Carbery and Earls, respectively. I think Baloucoune has the defensive smarts to cover 13, like Bowe did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretty much exactly that. Maybe Stockdale or Larmour for Lowe although Lowe had a pretty much perfect game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Keenan Lowe Ringrose Aki Earls Sexton JGP Porter Herring Furlong Henderson Ryan Beirne JVDF Conan/Doris

Kelleher Killer Bealham POM Conan/Doris Murray Carbery Zebo/Conway/Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Its one thing thinking a fella can play 13, its another actually trying him there against the best team in the world when he hasnt ever played that level internationally or played 13 for his club.

I would go as far as to say thats a terrible idea.

Earls isnt the best person for the job, hes probably the 3rd or 4th best for it after but he is the only one thats not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Conway was even better on second watch, some things I didn't appreciate the first time - his catch-pass for the Aki try was insane, also watch his trail run for the Conan break. I thought his international career was over before the Summer, now he looks to be first choice again.

I wouldn't start POM next week but I like him as an impact sub. He always seems to get involved in some capacity when he comes on, his influence could be massive next week.

Edit: GIF for Aki try, the speed of Conway's hands here:https://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/5594547/original/?width=480&version=5594547

Do people really think we’re going to see a bunch of changes for next week? Really? Coombes might come in for POM, although I doubt it. Larmour might come in for Earls, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the only change is Herring coming in for Sheehan. A few of the guys who came off the bench didn’t perform great yesterday but next week will be a very different game anyway.

What would have been the point in the selections yesterday if we started bringing in guys like Balacoune and Casey next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Fair play to Catt, this was the best Ireland have looked in attack in yonks. Hopefully next week they maintain the ambition and accuracy. If they manage, we might be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Stockdale isn't in the squad, he's injured.

So much of our creative play involved Lowe yesterday that dropping him would mean taking a very different game plan into the NZ match

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

They swapped the entire starting XV from the Wales game, so that was literally a B-team playing Italy. I think they will play their strongest team for Ireland and France. And of course Ireland will be a strong challenge with a decent chance to win if the ball bounces their way, but France will be seen as the real test for historical and upcoming RWC reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The only conceivable change I could see happening in the starting XV is Henderson coming in, but as I said yesterday if it ain't broke don't fix it so I'd leave the starting XV as it was yesterday.

I'd probably bring Herring onto the bench ahead of Sheahen just for a bit more security at the lineout, although Sheahen was very impressive around the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

By the way, and without wanting to get too far ahead of ourselves, I watched bits and pieces of France v Argentina last night, and to be honest I think if people are expecting a raft of changes for the Argentina match then they are likely to be disapointed.

In terms of the starting 15, I would be much more confident in no changes than any changes unless there are injuries. As regards the bench I'm less sure but I suspect the 23 yesterday is likely to be the 23 next weekend with changes to come against Argentina.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We only beat England so convincingly because they were poor. We only beat Japan because they were poor. There seems to be an attitude that people just don’t want to accept a good performance for what it is. We have played incredibly poor teams and completely failed to perform. There has to be an element in there, that out performance makes these teams look poor.

obviously we need to start performing at that level consistently. Which is always going to be harder against bigger packs. Yet we know we are capable of it. I don’t think our current pack is going to get dominated by any team, the way we have been in the last few years. Next week will give us a much better idea of where we stand though. I would imagine if my some miracle we do beat NZ next week. There are plenty on here who will be saying it’s just because it’s a poor NZ side.

Not a raft.

3 or 4

One of the other 2 out halfs getting a start.

One of the other wings getting a shot.

And maybe Timoney or Coombes getting a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I said previously I thought VdF might not be nailed on for next week but there really is very little case for changes after that. Henderson coming in is about all I can think of.

Advertisement