Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No Muslim connection to the murders means theres little interest in AH. Any opportunity to say 'religion of peace' would have caused a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah because there's never been any threads when a white person commits a mass shooting or terrorist attack... bizarre comments.

You must be new to boards. Killings involving Muslims result in threads being created pretty quickly. The fact that this killing hasn't caused a thread to be created is actually pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it's not that interesting. This was a lad that went berserk, but it wasn't someone motivated by a dangerous ideology and religion that is yet to be recognized as such. Between US and Europe the far right nazi attacks and the muslim attacks go toe to toe by body count but only one of them ideologies are considered dangerous and undesirable.

I was torn to shreds on another thread for commenting what I thought was obvious: that most people are lazy, particularly middle class men and women.

Perhaps 10-15% of the population are genuinely hard working.

The rest just agree with each other that they're hard working because they cannot admit the truth that they are lazy and would rather do the minimum possible amount of work if they had a chance.

• Advertisement

Depends on what you mean by work. If you mean your job then you might be right, but the same people who might be lazy in work will be hard working in other areas of life.

I don't particularly care about my job as long as it pays the bills. But I give everything other parts of my life like my family and friends.

I remember sitting in a psychology lecture about organisational psychology and how to get the beat iut of people at work. And I thought why on earth would people want to give the best of themselves at work? I would much prefer to give my best to my family and friends and my own hobbies rather than my work. Am I lazy? I wouldn't say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s hardly an unpopular opinion though? I’ve known and worked with numerous people who thought of only themselves as hard workers and everyone else as being lazy. They weren’t even as generous as you in saying that only 85% were lazy, nope - anyone else who wasn’t them was just lazy in their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It isn’t difficult to imagine why anyone would want to give the best of themselves at work though - people generally take pride in their work and want to be recognised and rewarded for it which I’d imagine probably came up in an organisational psychology lecture and the idea of how to get the best out of people at work - recognition first and foremost would be one of the top criteria on my list.

Then reward, can be any form of reward, but recognition tends to motivate people, and reward motivates them even more so. Not sure anyone needs a whole lecture on it though to be fair, should be easy to understand in the first 30 seconds, then make paper aeroplanes or something for the rest of the lecture 😂

Well that alone shows the importance if individual differences. I would be ashamed to give the best of myself at work and leave whatever left over for my family, friends and my own hobbies in my free time.

It was an interesting module but it wasn't a matter of a few minutes. The question of 'recognition' for good work is pretty broad. How should recognition manifest? Money? Time off? A shout out at the team meeting? TOIL for working over time? How should it work in a big company like Google or a small accountancy firm with 3 employees? And what motivates people on high wages or low wages? What motivates people with different personality types and what motivates people in different industries (high status, highly visible jobs vs low status and low visibility jobs).

It's a pretty Interesting area and I don't blame anyone for wanting to study how to get the best out of people at work. But I wouldn't want to give the best of myself to work. No-way-Jose

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Where is the middle ground? You skip from hard-working to lazy without touching on the ones doing it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The reminiscing of Slane hosting concerts over the last thirty years is a load of nonsense.

It's live music, no different to a night out. Hardly life changing or historic. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I see EmmysSoWhite is trending on Twitter because no person of colour won an award even though they were nominated.

But maybe these people simply won on the strength of their performances and the fact they are white is irrelevant.

I think even worse would be a token award given to a person of colour to avoid these hashtags and the real deserving winner loosing out.

Obviously if there is evidence of racism at the Enmys that's a different story but at the moment people using that hashtag are just jumping on the bandwagon of manufactured outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Nursing staff, doctors and all hospital workers should have to be compulsorily vaccinated unless they have a very good reason for exemption. Patients have no choice to end up in hospital needing care.

If that doesn't work, then unvaccinated staff should have to wear a clear badge identifying them as such so patients can ask to be tended to by someone else should they wish.

Same goes for masks. Plonkers going around saying "I've an exemption, alllriiie?". The Covid App should have been developed so that people who have a "face mask exemption" should have it stored on the covid passport ... so no exemption on your passport, then your mask stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you see websites such as Tattle life it would appear that women are the biggest cyber bullies of Instagramers/influencers.

That women should never smoke or drink pints of beer; both make women look highly unattractive.

These should be exclusively male activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I have zero respect for any man who cares about "influencers".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Exercise and physical activity should be mixed throughout the entire school day for kids and teens.

There is scientific research showing that our brains actually work far better 30 mins after exercise and absorb more information.

So rather than just having set times where kids go out into the school yard to stretch their legs on lunch break or one PE class per week, it should be better integrated throughout the whole day. Rather than spending most of the day sitting down, which is not good for either your body or mind. Kids should be encouraged to get up and move, even just for 10-15 mins every hour. The time that is left in the classroom will be quality rather than quantity.

They are even starting to see something similar with research into the 4 day work week. Our brains only have X amount of high quality work per hour before we lose concentration. The rest of the time it's inefficient drudgery, where we struggle to focus and it's essentially very unproductive wasted time.

It's even been said that this could greatly help people with things like adhd, because some people are simply not well suited to sitting down being inactive for most of their day.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our educational system is barbaric, shoveling sh1te into kids heads all day, forcing them to sit for most of it, and preventing them from fulfilling critical needs throughout the day, what a dreadful idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

It was almost never you. It was genes and environment. 99% Luck of the draw.

• Advertisement

Or both could be combined - learning a concept and a form of exercise at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland will never win the Eurovision Song Contest again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think a certain personal responsibility is absent where drink spiking is concerned.

Are girls in particular not warned these days not to accept drinks from strangers, or at least told to keep an eye on your drink at all times? Shorts are lethal anyway and harder to regulate- I'd hazard a guess the majority of victims are fairly well hammered to begin with.

I do accept that there are bad people out there intent on doing harm, but the drug culture in this country is off the charts the last while anyway that it is hardly surprising that drinks are getting spiked more often.

And before anyone chimes in and says I am a man and can't understand. I got spiked before but I assume I wasn't the intended target. I usually stay on pints for a night, but had moved onto shorts this time, left my drink down on a table and picked up the wrong glass soon after. So my common sense was out the window and suffered the consequences. Had I stuck to the pints, I'm sure I wouldn't have been carried home having blacked out that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Re: the above, I remember plenty of nights where herself would head out with the friends but have only a tenner. Asked if she wanted money and she said no, they're doing the free drinks tonight. I asked, what's that? She said they go up to a group of lads and start chatting, and 99% of the time they'll buy them a drink. They would then disappear and do the same to the next group in the next bar, and so on. So many desperate and/or horny men out there, this was an actual tactic for a lot.

My unpopular opinion is that sometimes, victim blaming is right. But only sometimes, and quite rare. But some personal responsibility is also needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Modern versions of trad and folk songs sung by middle class lads wearing caps is sh1te , especially Rocky road to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Jeez, what a sh1tty way to treat people. Your better half and her mates should have some dignity and buy their own drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

Irish companies should be encouraged to adopt the 3/6/4 model of employment. Basically, instead of hiring 2 people for 5 days, they hire 3 people over 6 days, covering 4 days each, for the same work.

The unpopular part would be that in order for it to work, the company gets to have a tax credit equal to what extra wages they would have payed out over the two extra days (minus the tax that would have been due), and would be open for business one more day a week (if you weren't already).

The point of it would be that people in general work less days for the same money, and the government have less people on the employment register and get more income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It’s a very obscure concept and their theories can only be demonstrated using extreme examples. It’s a mental illness really amplified by the age of the Internet.

what they need is counselling of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Probably should have clarified; ex and this was about 17 years ago. And there were plenty at it at the time. Pretty sure I heard my niece say that she has done it a couple of times in the year before covid. Money thing, they don't have it, fellas are willing to buy random girls drinks if they just talk to them (obviously they're hoping for more). It's why I never bought a randomer a drink!

Advertisement