Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault at high school in the State of Virginia.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Well if you won’t meet me halfway then why would I stop using the word cis.

i Agree that you are a man. You know when you put an adjective in front of the noun it doesn’t change the object describes membership of the category denoted by the noun.

a black hat is still a hat.

nobody is saying you are not a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The 5 cases I gave that involved bathrooms were 5 cases of males attacking females in bathrooms they had access to.

I don't claim any "wonderful increase in safety". I claim that safeguarding is important and I'm not prepared to sacrifice it on the altar of hurt feelings.

As you know, having been in these discussions with me before, I am not averse to using "trans woman/women" to describe trans women, but in this instance my post was about the threat that is posed by male-pattern criminal behaviour. I therefore consider it pertinent to emphasise that the people I'm talking about, and the people committing the crimes, are male. Find it as "gross" as you like.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

When you say that man can also be a biological woman, you are, by definition, changing what man means.

Do you honestly believe that a biological woman can be a man?

Is this really your position?

This does not reflect my beliefs and forces me to make statements that actively go against my beliefs.

Gosh. Imagine that.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

You're about to be hit with a bunch of waffle about how very complicated biology is, as though sex hasn't been easily discernible for every sexually dimorphic species at every level of consciousness for the last 500 million years.

• Advertisement

And most of them were gender neutral bathroom. Your actual claim was that people could identify men entering a woman’s bathroom and raise safety concerns. And you very specifically said women’s bathrooms

but this cannot happen when the bathrooms are for both men and women. And this was the case in the majority of your examples. And out of the 2 remaining examples one only makes sense if you are proposing that people should interfere if they see anyone they suspect of being male (including someone who presented as female) entering a women’s bathroom.

this will lead to masculine presenting cis women being humiliated as someone interferes with them trying to use the bathroom. Is this what you want?

I think you might mean "a hat of colour".

Be better.

Masculine presenting cis women?

Lol.

The **** word salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why do I need to meet you halfway on anything? Go ahead and give me a label I don't want to have - that has worked well in history

I’ve never actually mentioned you as a cis man that’s all in your head but ok.

• Advertisement

Every comment is cis men and cis women - try again

Can you point to anywhere I called you a cis man?

Well if you won’t meet me halfway then why would I stop using the word cis

Actually man in place of cis man does not work

if cis people in general do not want people to use the word cis

You know you don't have to call me by name to insult me...

To be clear, I don't agree with gender-neutral bathrooms and changing rooms either, unless they are very securely self contained with sink/shower inside a lockable, floor-to-ceiling walled room/cubicle. See the article I posted about 50% of sexual assaults in changing rooms taking place in the 10% of them that are gender neutral/mixed sex. Or about "trans" prisoners (of which I have already stated I think at least some—and more likely those committing sexual assaults—are "pretending" to be trans to gain access to women's jails) being five times more likely to carry out sex attacks on inmates in women's jails than other prisoners are.

this will lead to masculine presenting cis women being humiliated as someone interferes with them trying to use the bathroom. Is this what you want?

Emotionally manipulative framing aside, I am very sceptical that this would be the case, but feel free to send me the myriad examples that must exist from the last century-ish of single-sex facilities being in effect.

In any case, I reiterate my point that, while I have sympathy for those whose feelings are hurt, I value hurt feelings less than the physical safety of the women and children using the facilities. I've been mistaken for a man more than once in the past when I've had cropped hair and it's not a big deal. I said "I'm a woman" or "it's Ms." and that was that.

The answer to your question of course is: If you allow males into female spaces or make all spaces mixed sex, it will lead to more women and children being raped and assaulted. Is this what you want?

I’m not invested in mixed gender facilities. I’d be happy for their to be men’s and women’s facilities where trans men can use men’s and trans women can use women’s.

but that’s beside the point and you are doing a massive sidestep. This is all about bubbly pop discussing safety with you and your point was that the safety of these cases you presented would be improved if MEN could not use WOMENS bathrooms as both men and women would see a man entering a facility he was not supposed to and take some unspecified safety measure.

this is not supported by the cases you raised. You can try and change the subject again but I will keep highlighting this.

as for masculine presenting cis women not being interfered with you are right. It probably doesn’t happen much. Because currently people tend not to interfere with other people going to the bathroom. If you stir up a trans hysteria though and people do start to confront anyone they suspect of being trans then masculine looking cis women will become a part of this. But I’m glad to see you don’t want this.

Women and men should have certain separate spaces.

Trans women not biological women. Trans men are not biological men.

Women and men are different.

Mixed "gender" means nothing. Unless you are conflating sex and gender. Normal people have conceded that gender now means nothing.

If I announced I was an elite athlete, would you accept that as fact and address me as such?

If I said I was 12 feet tall, would you address me as such?

If I proclaimed to be an Asian would you agree to call me Asian?

If I described myself as an amputee even though I have all my limbs, would you respect my right to be recognised as an amputee?

If I was anorexic, would you assure me that I was indeed as fat as I think I am?

Can I believe I am 13 and have that a reality?

Where is the line in the sand for you? Where does common sense and reality kick in?

'If you allow males into female spaces or make all spaces mixed sex, it will lead to more women and children being raped and assaulted. Is this what you want?'

This is in your head, there is nothing to back it up. Another poster went through your examples, so I don't need to, but if you're examining cases of sexual assaults by trans women, as that seems to be such a big issue in your head, then you need to look at all their offences. As in, how many offences did they commit and where did they commit them.

At least I know what cis is now. Can't say it's particularly offensive. Not sure how anyone would be annoyed about it. Also, it's funny to see posters who are anti feminism suddenly so worried about women's safety! Although, thinking about it, it tends to happen in cases where women are assaulted by foreign men too........ 🤔

No, another poster did not "go through my examples". They set up a strawman (that I only take issue with men being in women's spaces when that space is a public toilet) and then went "ner ner, only two of these were in public toilets and something something butch women might be offended". You read this as "another poster went through your examples" because it keeps you cognitively comfortable and stops you having to internalise the fact that you are advocating for harmful policy.

They didn't address the fact that more than half of the sexual assaults that occur in public changing areas occur in the 10% of them that are unisex. They didn't address the fact that by UK statistics, "transwomen" commit sexual assault in prisons five times more than other inmates in women's prisons. Feel free to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭volchitsa

People are offended by cis because it implies that biological women are merely a subset of women, and that the other part of that subset are biological men. It makes women into a subcategory of “not-men”.

That view of women as “not-men”, ie, not a category in their own right has been offensive to women for centuries now, since the dawning of the concept of women’s rights.

You can keep inventing other versions of your claim but the above is the real problem. For the women I know anyway, including myself.

• Advertisement

I think you're forgetting that trans- doesn't just include trans men and trans women, but also gender self ID - including gender fluid, astralgender, agender, neutrois, and the other 95 etc.

None of these require surgery. You can waltz into a woman's bathroom appearing as a straight male, with a penis, with no stereotype of even appearing as a woman.

It's totally wrong that we're even needing to debate whether we should protect women and children.

Cis men don't exist. We're just men, not a subset of men.

Male horses exist, not cis male horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re either unaware of, or you’re misconstruing the original intent of “women’s spaces”, which had nothing to do with safeguarding women and children. They were created specifically for the purpose of limiting women’s equal participation in public life, in much the same way as “third spaces” are now being proposed for people who are transgender with the effect of limiting their equal participation in public life.

Prohibiting men from entering women’s spaces will have no effect whatsoever on the number of sexual assaults committed by sexual predators whether it be in single-sex, gender-neutral, unisex whatever environments. It has had no effect in the past, as has been clearly demonstrated by the number of sexual predators who don’t particularly care for social norms, it would have no effect in the future. All it is in reality is an attempt to limit the equal participation of people who are transgender in public life, and as has been pointed out already - the idea would have a greater impact upon women who do not conform to someone else’s idea of what a woman should look like. I can think of no better example than that of Playboy model Danni Mathers behaviour upon witnessing an elderly woman whom she regarded as aesthetically unpleasant, and invaded her privacy to publicly humiliate her -

Your nonsense about the “clergy abusing people’s trust” also conveniently appears to overlook the fact that women and girls were routinely abused and mistreated in “Mother and Baby Homes”, run by nuns, supported by the State - women and girls who were regarded in polite society as “undesirables” were sent there to keep them out of sight, while men were sent to prisons which were never intended to accommodate women in the first place, and men, women and children were sent to reform schools and institutions where they were routinely subjected to humiliating, degrading physical, mental and sexual abuse.

Cis male here, it's not a pejorative.... It's a straight forward way to differentiate in a discussion. It's neither designed to demean or insult so not remotely in the area of pejoratives. Weirdly you're less self righteous about the posters who very much so are aiming to insult the trans community.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In discussions on boards it's being used by several posters along with terf and bigotry , despite repeatedly being asked not to ,yet the same people spamming reports to get mod actions whenever the conversation isn't going their way which is pretty much every conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Do you have a similar issue with women using the men’s bathrooms at events because there is a lengthy queue outside their toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They didn't address the fact that more than half of the sexual assaults that occur in public changing areas occur in the 10% of them that are unisex. They didn't address the fact that by UK statistics, "transwomen" commit sexual assault in prisons five times more than other inmates in women's prisons. Feel free to do so.

Ahh sure, don’t mind if I do 😏

The claim about unisex facilities comes from data received from a freedom of information request by the Sunday Times in the UK. In the article they do not state either the sex of the complainants, or the alleged perpetrators. It’s simply taken as a given by some people that the complainants were women and girls, and the alleged perpetrators were men and boys -

If it sounds preposterous to suggest that either the complainants could have been men and boys, or the alleged perpetrators could have been women, you might want to hold onto your seat for this next bit.

”Fair Play for Women” in the UK are an advocacy organisation who are well-known for purposely presenting statistics in a misleading way in order to support their own aims. Following a BBC report which found that the number of female perpetrators of sexual abuse of children has doubled in four years, the organisation tried to claim that it was because the perpetrators of sexual abuse of children were actually men who were being recorded by police as female. However, upon reading the article, it is quite clear that it is the victims who reported the sex of their abuser as being female. The police were not responsible for “Fair Play for Women” choosing to misrepresent the data -

So that leans into your idea of “male pattern violence”, and I should point out that the term is completely meaningless without context, so in the context of the number of men there are in society, and the number of those men who commit sexual violence, RAINN, which is the biggest organisation in the US which advocates for victims of sexual violence, is quite adamant to point out that such nebulous terms as “male pattern violence”, are unhelpful, and for very good reason -

Perpetrators of Campus Sexual Assault: What We Know

In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campuses. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

While that may seem an obvious point, it has tended to get lost in recent debates. This has led to an inclination to focus on particular segments of the student population (e.g., athletes), particular aspects of campus culture (e.g., the Greek system), or traits that are common in many millions of law-abiding Americans (e.g., “masculinity”), rather than on the subpopulation at fault: those who choose to commit rape. This trend has the paradoxical effect of making it harder to stop sexual violence, since it removes the focus from the individual at fault, and seemingly mitigates personal responsibility for his or her own actions.

By the time they reach college, most students have been exposed to 18 years of prevention messages, in one form or another. Thanks to repeated messages from parents, religious leaders, teachers, coaches, the media and, yes, the culture at large, the overwhelming majority of these young adults have learned right from wrong, and enter college knowing that rape falls squarely in the latter category.

Research supports the view that to focus solely on certain social groups or “types” of students in the effort to end campus sexual violence is a mistake. Dr. David Lisak estimates that three percent of college men are responsible for more than 90% of rapes.iii Other studies suggest that between 3-7% of college men have committed an act of sexual violence or would consider doing so. It is this relatively small percentage of the population, which has proven itself immune to years of prevention messages, that we must address in other ways. (Unfortunately, we are not aware of reliable research on female college perpetrators.)

Consider, as well, the findings of another studyiv by Dr. Lisak and colleagues, which surveyed 1,882 male college students and determined that 120 of them were rapists. Of those determined to be rapists, the majority — 63% — were repeat offenders who admitted to committing multiple sexual assaults.v Overall, they found that each offender committed an average of 5.8 sexual assaults.vi Again, this research supports the fact that more than 90% of college-age males do not, and are unlikely to ever, rape. In fact, we have found that they’re ready and eager to be engaged on these issues. It’s the other guys (and, sometimes, women) who are the problem.

TL;DR version? Men are more than just a dildo with a meat sack attached to the other end of it, as they are so often characterised in these discussions as though our penises are our defining attribute.

I can’t speak for other men, but I like to think of myself as a bit more useful than just a carry-case for a dildo. In fact, I distinctly remember a discussion on Boards where I was surprised by the number of men who would not offer assistance to a girl or a woman who was in a clear state of distress, for fear that they would be accused by her of improper behaviour towards her (generally the impression was that they were terrified of being accused by her of rape!)

I was reminded of this when you spoke earlier of how it is among your circle of friends that you all look out for each other. I figured that’s what most people do anyway, and then I remembered that conversation. I also remembered the number of times I’d be approached by a girl in the club asking me to pretend to be her boyfriend as she was trying to shake off some weirdo (words to that effect anyways). I didn’t have the heart to tell them they were probably safer with the other guy, because if their intention was to avoid weirdos - they’d just gone from the frying pan into the fire 😂

But you’re right about approaching security staff, they’re generally a safer bet than some randomer you’ve only just met. It’s just that you’re walking into another conundrum when the security staff are also, generally speaking, dildos with meat sacks attached to the other end, more commonly known as men, or males, if you prefer? You didn’t specify in your post the sex of the security staff in question, but in my experience, there aren’t that many security staff in clubs who are women.

I’m open to the idea that your experience differs greatly from mine and you are surrounded by women working security when you and your mates hit the clubs for a night out, then unless one of you is the designated driver, you get a taxi home with a woman driver, just to be reassured of your safety so that you don’t end up in the same position as this woman following her encounter with the man who was a member of security staff who sexually assaulted her -

Millions of people who are not nearly so ‘savvy’ and ‘worldly-wise’ as you and your friends are, are the victims of a tiny minority of people in society who abuse their trust. In reality, you’re not preventing anyone from being the victim of another person who makes the conscious decision to attack them. All you’re doing is perpetuating the misguided notion among victims of sexual violence that they could somehow have prevented something happening that they never could have predicted would happen in the first place. All you’re doing is inducing anxiety among people that requires them to imagine they are somehow responsible for someone else’s actions.

Oh, and as for your “fact that by UK statistics, "transwomen" commit sexual assault in prisons five times more than other inmates in women's prisons”? The Judge in this particular case addressed that -

In a judgement handed down via email, Lord Justice Holroyde accepted the statistical evidence showed the proportion of trans prisoners convicted of sexual offences was "substantially higher" than for non-transgender men and women prisoners

But he said the lawyers' claims about the risk of sexual assault were a "misuse of the statistics, which... are so low in number, and so lacking in detail, that they are an unsafe basis for general conclusions".

The risk is in fact so low, that women who are of the belief that men pose a threat to their safety are having to engineer circumstances where they can make the point that “male violence” is a threat to women and girls. It’s not quite working out as they had expected, in fact it’s proving to be quite the opposite in reality -

In response to their online petition, which only gathered 13,000 of the required 100,000 signatures among a population of 68 million people, the Government made clear the terms of the Equality Acts in the UK -

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Yes.

I'm absolutely anti feminism,but funnily enough, that doesn't mean I don't care about women. It means I recognise the differences between men and women.

It's very telling that people like yourself who would be pro feminism are the very people who believe men and women are interchangeable.

You can call yourself whatever you wish. A straightforward way is to describe a man as a man, and a woman as a woman. Those who are involved within the overall Trans umbrella beliefs can categorise themselves as they wish.

I always find it interesting the double standards at play... it's insulting for us not to use Trans terminology, but it's not insulting for Trans advocates not to use the "normal" terminology for the rest of us.

Do you even know what a straw man argument is? Here’s the definition:

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one.

you say I am setting up a straw man because I say you are only concerned about toilets. But I never said anything of the sort. YOU brought up “safeguarding” and explained with multiple references to WOMENS BATHROOMS that if someone sees a man go into a women’s bathroom and interfered then some of the cases might not have happened. Here is your quote, note that you only discuss women's bathrooms and that you claim that women and kids from the examples you gave could be saved by someone noticing a man enter a woman's bathroom:

That's not how safeguarding works. The female sign on the door of a bathroom isn't some magical rune that will keep out anyone with ill-intent. But the existence of male and female toilets sets up a norm which, when breached, draws attention. If you see someone who is obviously male going into a women's toilet, you might go and check what's happening, or alert someone in the building the toilet is in, or even just wait outside to check that everything is okay. And in doing any of those things you might save a woman or a child from one of the numerous attacks I mentioned up-thread, which were all related to a contravention of the general "female-only space" norms.

I have shown that this is false. That only one of the examples you gave involved a man entering a women's bathroom.

I dealt exactly and precisely with the point you ACTUALLY made.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I said. They're not really offended by the word they actually don't want the concept expressed at all.

Which is ironic given that it's TRAs that are accused by them of trying to shut down the argument. 🙄

Anyway they're not going to succeed in having the expression of the concept that is core to the debate banned so why bother?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement