Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Let me guess because ........

Answer A - you don't know

Answer B- you don't know

you can you provide anything to prove otherwise???

Sure you don't want to guess, you don't care about facts, you have shown that many many times.

You have your mind made up about all the thousands and thousands of foreigners in Ireland, doing something something awful, terrible etc etc.

Keep on showing your ignorance on this topic, it makes it easier to remember who to ignore.

What facts you haven't presented any ,

But let's add a fact if someone fails to gain asylum ,or Subsidiary protection ,and only get the right to reside after 5 years they can apply for citizenship here ,

Mad I know 🤫

The period that a failed asylum seeker stays in Ireland awaiting appeals will be counted towards the five years required before applying for citizenship. With the ability to make multiple appeals (when one or two appeals are denied) means they can stay in the country for years due to the slow approach to the overall appeal process. All the while, they're being supported by the Irish State.

• Advertisement

Exactly this....

Considering the prison population is 15% + is foreign nationals and yet we have a laughingly low deportation rate over 30 years.

It's a case of come , stay ,get your citizenship , passport , housing ,

All paid for us the taxpayers

Out the door as soon as his sentence is over, nobody should be allowed throw our generosity back in our faces like that. The argument that it’s not fair to kick him out as our own scumbags can’t be deported. We have nowhere to deport our own born citizens to. Why would any other country want our riff raff. But someone who was born elsewhere and has nationality elsewhere should be shipped out. We are ridiculously soft these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You can debate whether we should change the criteria for gaining citizenship but you can't treat citizens unequally once they have the status. You can strip citizenship if you can prove that it was acquired through fraud. Recently and with great controversy, canada and the UK enacted laws whereby they can strip citizenship from dual citizens who commit acts of terrorism. You cannot leave a person without any citizenship. None of the western countries can strip citizenship for any other reason that I'm aware of. It is wrong to create a category of permanent second class citizenship, it flies in the face of our culture ironically.

Drop dual and multiple citizenships ,

That way there is little or no excuses to keep foreign criminals and failed asylum seekers , anyone with dual citizenship reverts back to their original country of origin citizenship

I'm sitting here as a triple citizen, two of which I naturalized. I think the time for deportation is before they are citizens at some point you get them to meet your criteria to "join the club" and become a citizen after which they must be the same as everyone else, you can't deport an Irish born citizen to somalia so why a Somali born Irish citizen? Unless you want to enshrine xenophobia into our citizenship laws. We are not Japan!

• Advertisement

But we've failed in deportation across the board ,we've seen violent rapists get asylum here after committing serious assaults while on a student visa , numerous asylum seekers directly involved in people trafficking ,drug dealing and distribution and importing , murder , criminal gang activities , welfare fraud

Yet the absolute majority stay and go on to citizenship,

There is no consequences for foreign criminals coming here ,as pointed out by another one of the consequences is the right to reside ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,893 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Calling us ridiculously soft because of anti-discrimination laws is saying that you don't care if pregnant or even married women are not considered for a job because they might end up on maternity leave. Or that a disabled person can't go to a gig because they can't get their wheelchair in. Or that someone can be joked about or demeaned because of their religion.

We introduced these laws because we recognized that everyone should have the right to expect that they will be not treated in a different manner to others. I expect many of the people arguing for deportation of an Irish Citizen would actually be ok with losing the above protections offered to some marginalised people, but thankfully, the vast majority of the people in the country would not.

Yes I mean to become a citizen of Canada and then the us, I could not have ever committed a crime in any jurisdiction ever in my life, so I don't know how active criminals are obtaining the status(if they are, I haven't verified that's true?) I even had to provide multiple years of tax returns and details of all flights for the previous 5 years(like 40 flights)

Wat happens if the immigrant renounces their original citizenship. You cannot leave them stateless, under international law I believe.

@tellmehow

But it's ok for other countries to deport our criminals back here , but god forbid we deport foreign criminals

You cannot leave a person without any citizenship

Why?

Would Exile be a better option?

The un believes that the right to nationality is a human right, if Irish is the only citizenship they have because the renounced their original, then the Irish state would be breaking an internationally recognized human right by stripping them of their citizenship.

I'm shuddering to think what you actually mean when you say that History shows us a clear dominant culture is what works? What does 'works' actually refer to? Safety and progress for everyone? Or the subjugation of a junior class by the ruling one which could and did include anything up to and including enslavement, colonisation, eradication of their history and even in some cases, genocide.

Pointing out that there are problems within native groups is not deflection, it is fact. It suggests that the members of both groups who behave as such are inclined to do so as much because of their own natural tendencies, than because they come from a particular culture.

Also, suggesting that double standards exist everywhere is not the vindication of the proposal in the OP that you think it is. Societies throughout human history have evolved and advanced through looking at such double standards and seeking to remove them. It's called progress and has been attempted so as to constantly move towards treating people fairly. And I'm not suggesting it is done and dusted, or done to the same level everywhere, but that it has most definitely the general trend amongst or species.

Finally, the nonsense of referring to something that has worked for centuries. FFS, we still talk about England and their 800 years occupation of Ireland, your argument would suggest that should have continued. And you could use the same argument for any modern day situation or environment that is now the case after decades/centuries/millennia of things being different. And again I'm shuddering slightly at your probably qualification of just what exactly 'works' implies. As throughout this period most of the countries on the planet suffered invasion, war, hardship and death the legacy of which still remains to this day in many places. And leaving all that aside, the use of the internet, the spread of social media, and the opportunity for easy travel has existed at no other point in human history up to pretty much our generation. Only someone deliberately trying to be ignorant of the facts would look to ignore these points or suggest they have not led to a greater homogenisation amongst the human race than any other singular event of cultural movement and integration. It's the 21st century, wake up and smell the pumpkin spice latte.

But as you have demonstrated you can hold multiple citizenships ,so if you then have Irish citizenship on top of others so if you commit a serious crime here (not that you ever would) why shouldn't you have your Irish one revolked and be deported to where ever your Originally came from , you absolutely wouldn't be stateless or lacking any citizenships

Ahh well, I've noticed that UN mandates only seem to be relevant when it comes to western nations, and I'd be perfectly fine with breaking with them on this.

Still. An alternative would be to allow them to retain the status/association of citizenship but exile them from ever re-entering Ireland.

So we do want to import cultural practices of other countries, is that you are saying? You might go ahead and suggest that on the multiculturalism thread.

That conflicting position aside, are there countries that deport people back to Ireland when those people have citizenship in whatever country it is you are referring to?

• Advertisement

Yes that can happen already in Canada and the UK that I'm aware of. Only in cases of terrorism. The problem with this road is the slippery slope. Once we decide that citizenship is conditional, then it is second class citizenship. We don't know what administrations will come in the future, what new conditions they made add which may be prejudicial. Once this conditional citizenship exists you are basically saying that noone can be part of our club but we will let you stick around as long as we like you. Now if you want immigrants to fully invest their lives into your country you best offer them some security of status. I think we agree on filtering applicants though, for me the time to decide whether of not to grant citizenship is the important bit. Rigorous background checks should be applied, any indiscretion should void visas let alone citizenship applications. However in my belief, once they are citizens they should be legally indistinct from those born natively.

I should say I'm originally Irish, I naturalized(now I spell it with a 'z') to Canada and then USA. I don't know what the process is like to become an Irish citizen.

@tellme

@Tell me how So we do want to import cultural practices of other countries.

No I want to see those who come here and commit crimes they get deported ,it's not cultural practices ,

It's the government , judges, immigration and gardai doing their jobs

I think you will find that's exactly what numerous posters do want. Those that are not 'full Irish ', as I saw used in a different thread, are seen as less then those who are 'full Irish '

It is indeed a dangerous road to go down, having members of society deemed to be of less importance then native persons. I think any normal person can see where that is going.

And totally ignores the fact that one group actually sought out being able to identify as Irish while those who had no choice or say in themselves doing so are adamant they should be treated differently.

Again in simple terms .

Why should foreign criminals get to stay permanently in this country despite while claiming asylum commit serious crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ululator

There is no good reason to keep a person in your house when they arrived yesterday, uninvited, and proceeded to steal from the house.

First paragraph I said nothing of the sort.

Secondly you don’t know how the majority would stand on deporting this man.

I don't think he should be deported, he should be prosecuted in a court and receive whatever the court deems fit. He should not have his citizenship stripped retroactively, if the irish government made a mistake its on them, perhaps he should never have been granted citizenship in the first place, if there is evidence of criminality in hist history. We made the mistake, we should eat it.

However if it can be proven that he committed fraud in his citizenship application, then it's on him and it should be stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ululator

The whole immigration system is a known quantity, ie a joke.

Mickey Everyman on the street knows it, and that's what counts.

All these technicalities of laws and regulations may keep these people here, but the reality is that the public perception is against them in everyday life.

So when you say "we" allowed this, it's really only a very few people that allowed it. It's up to people to weed out these corrupt politicians and their bumchums, but in the meantime, reality remains reality.

There's no good reason for them to be kept here and cost further money.

• Advertisement

Because. They. Are. Citizens.

And because having a system where 2 citizens are told they will be treated differently should they commit the same crime, is discrimination. No ifs, buts, or maybes.

Advertisement