Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod - I split this off from the other thread, as it should be here. Read the first post in the thread - VAT is payable on 2nd hand goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

MOD - <SNIP> There is a thread called site changes. Please read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Are there still delays in items coming from the UK?

I'm looking to buy a very low value item (8.00 GBP) from Ebay.co.uk which I cannot source over here.

I'm needing it quite urgently hence why i'm asking if there are still delays/backlogs?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

anyone had any luck on getting a refund for UK VAT when our customs charged Irish VAT on top of it? Just wondering who would be to contact first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont think you can if you imported privately. Only a business can.

you reckon it's official that we have to pay double tax when buying from the UK?

no, not at all. UK sellers should be charging you Irish VAT not UK VAT. The same way Amazon does.

yeah Amazon is super easy in this regard. But not like some other shops :( I suppose it depends whether they are registered with Irish VAT or not?

Sorry, forgot to mention: this was purchased via AddressPal, so they had no way to know it's for an Irish address.

• Advertisement

Addresspal is a terrible idea now for purchasing from the UK for exactly that reason. you are almost guaranteed to pay VAT twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I see a few posts on this, and had heard anecdotal stories from mates, but I actually got a demand from An Po$t this morning looking for a total of €7.50 to be paid on an item from the UK with a customs value of €17.43. Is the €22 VAT limit gone completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

I recently bought some books from the UK.

I thought books were not subject to VAT or duties, but am open to correction.

But TNT has sent me an invoice for "import charges".

Does anyone know if that's correct, or should I dispute it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

Thanks. It was a bunch of books on theology and religion. Eg:

https://www.thegoodbook.co.uk/god-of-all-things

Mostly paperbacks, a couple of hard cover, ranging from 64 pages to 300 odd.

I can't work out what category that goes in. Any help?

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭walshtipp

To be honest I'm not sure myself, maybe somebody else on here can help further.

that looks to meet the criteria for the zero rate. get on to TNT and tell them they have made a mistake assuming the sender put the correct taricc code on the parcel.

In order for a printed book or booklet to qualify for the zero rate, it must meet the following four requirements:

1. it must consist essentially of textual or pictorial matter

2. it must have a distinctive front cover which is devoid of body text

3. it must comprise not less than four leaves (eight pages) exclusive of the cover, and

4. it must be bound (loose-leaf or otherwise), or stitched or stapled.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Hi

Help needed urgently.

I have today received an email from An Post informing me I have a Customs Charge of €60.46

The facts are as follows:

The company this order is coming from I have ordered from at least 20 times this year, and half of these orders were after the 1st July ... they have an EU domain and charge the relevant VAT at checkout. Since July you cannot order in excess of the €150 including VAT and shipping (shipping is free over €50 so I always order above that threshold).

In the past week alone I have received 3 orders from this company through Fastway Couriers without issue (all with a value close to this order).

In the case of this order where I have now received this Custom Charge notification from An Post, it is through a delivery company I have never heard of before and have never received anything from either through this company or any other.

The intrinsic value of the order is €146.91 including shipping (zero charge for shipping as order above €50 threshold) and VAT.

The company I have ordered from is an international global business fulfilling thousands of orders everyday, including to the EU / US and UK.

So I cannot make any sense what has happened here, the only factor that is different is the delivery company that the order is being processed through. Prior to Fastway I was receiving the orders through An Post themselves once it reached Irish shores without incidence!

Anyones experience / I advice on experiencing the same would be greatly appreciated so I can get this sorted and my order delivered asap.

T.I.A. 😌

was the item actually shipped from the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You would need to find out if the charge includes any Customs Duty. If it does, VAT is calculated on the full total. The intrinsic value cannot include shipping, and the exporter should state the actual shipping cost for Customs information. Every way round if the overall cost to you is under €150, then no Duty should be involved. You would need to get a detailed breakdown of the charges.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Relief from Customs Duty on goods bought from outside the EU

If your goods have an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.

These monetary limits apply to the whole consignment, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable.

Company is based in the UK and most of the stuff ships through their own UK warehouse ... as I say its through their EU domain name I order and they charge VAT at checkout (they also have separate domains for the UK & US / Canada to make sure all taxes are accounted for correctly!) - this is the tenth order alone I have made since July - they have the notification up on their website clear to see due to changes post BREXIT and they emailed all customers also regarding the same, so there is no ambiguity and as I say I have received three orders alone only in the past week via FastWay that were ordered in the same week as this order and absolutely no issues with a similar €uro value!

I will say the delivery company they have passed this order through to on this occasion that they have never used before for any of my orders is called Spring GDS (Global Delivery Solutions) and I see PostNL mentioned in the tracking history. So I'm assuming this maybe a contributing factor?!

I have received the majority of my orders via An Post in the past when it reaches Ireland and it's only the last 4 or 5 that have come via FastWay to my door and there was no issue then either, so the only difference this time is Spring GDS / PostNL 🤔

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Are you expecting one of the orders to be delivered via An Post? If not, it could be a scam email

I was expecting it to come via FastWay again, but as I say outside of what I received via FastWay everything else was delivered via An Post when it got to Ireland but I have never had a notification for customs charges ... as I say the only difference is the distribution company it has been routed through on this occasion!

It's a genuine email as I checked the An Post website independently using the reference number and the delivery reference number, I received a text from An Post just before hand also.

You need to get the supplies to sort out the shipping terms with the courier.

Yes I have emailed them however I wanted to get the insight of others experiences in regards to this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Am I imagining things or did I read someone on here a few months ago that electronics like a laptop are exempt from customs duty even if they are over 150 euro? Thought I read that someone and looking at getting a laptop on Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes you're correct. Computer parts, laptops, cameras etc are exempt from import duty.

If you're buying from Amazon it would be included in the final price if it wasn't exempt anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nice one thanks for the info, very helpful. I wonder why they have electronics exempt, its not like Revenue to miss a trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

It's across the EU, not just Revenues call.

Advertisement