Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

There's still around 1,000 backlog up to Friday, and we don't know Saturday and Sunday's swabs. The 4,000 would have easily been reached on Friday if more of the backlog was put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So eamon not only got a second test that nobody else would have, but his results got put ahead of others who were tested previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And yet it wasn't. Seeing as you seem to know so much about it perhaps you can explain why!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am absolutely sure it was.It makes perfect sense acrually, because she has no symtpoms, and there were a good 3 days between the 2 tests, and the initial exposure had been the previous Thursday.No doubt both tests were correct.

However my real question is what makes Eamon Ryan different from the rest of us, that he doesn't have to follow these guidelines...??

I'm talking about the figures as they have been presented daily as per swabs and cases since March 2020. If you go down your Eamon route you could also argue hundreds of positives probably aren't presenting for testing at all daily at the moment..

You can argue with yourself like you did on the rugby thread yesterday, constantly changing the goalposts, and then accusing others of not being able to follow a discussion. I won't be joining you.

At any rate it's hospitalisations and ICU that need to be watched, and what effect 3.5k cases has on them.

• Advertisement

I'm not on NEPHET. But I can add up since I was 5. And the 10 day swab number is 1,000 more than the 10 day case number. Also after 2 years it's kinda well known that case numbers mean nothing at the weekend without swab numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

8000 less cases in the UK today compared to last Sunday. Seems to be decreasing fairly rapidly there.

What does people not getting have to do with anything?

Im pointing out the preferential treatment a politician is getting.

If your a supporter of eamon ryan thats your business.

Spending far too much time thinking about this by the looks of it! As you've acknowledged in another post it's all about the hospitals. Not reaching 4,000 is a good thing anyway, especially for media headlines.

Second day on here! I doubt you can say the same! Like everyone i've weak areas academically, but I've always been good at mental arithmetic so adding up two figures of 10 numbers didn't take me much time😂 And seeing we have that backlog.

Regarding you saying Leo is wrong, you can't say, we have a backlog, we've no swabs for today.

As a citizen erased pointed out we may go down in figures like the UK, we may have peaked. Or there could be 3 or 4,000 case days and we could peak in the next fortnight, it's only speculation. I want to see what 3.5k to 4k cases does to the hospitals as opposed to 2-2.5k cases. Hopefully the booster will off set it.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned Eamon Ryan in my originally point about numbers of cases, are you able to stay on point at all... I was chatting with 'is that so' about whether Leo is right about cases reaching 4k. NOTHING to do with Eamonn Ryan!!

It really doesn't matter what those numbers are. They are just not converting to hospital cases in very large numbers because of much younger age profile of groups who are testing positive yes we will see a bigger effect of boosters over the next while.

It’s good news for sure. They can’t open up any more than they already are and have been so for weeks. Add in that 15% of the population have had a 3rd jab (maybe equivalent to 1 in 4 over eighteens?) then it’s difficult to see what there is that might drive another wave. It might well be that this is the far side of it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭brickster69

410,000 boosters handed out today to break the 10 million barrier ( 17.5% of the population over 12 )

Could well be everyone over 50 done by the end of the month.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

i have no issue with a Government Minister getting a preferential treatment on testing before travelling in Government business.

i suppose my issue is with the testing process, the cost to people and families of isolating and how slow we were to embrace antigen testing.

It's not accurate to say cases don't matter flat out. If they get really high it will mean more people in hospital. A percentage of 40-60 year olds, without the booster, will end up in hospital, however small, the more cases the more hospitalised. Out health service is fragile, throw winter illnesses on top of that and you could still have problems. It will be a number of weeks until the 40-60 year olds are boosted.

To put it simply, we maxed at 2,200 in hospital in January with an 8,000 case max.

Today we have 474 in hospital, they are from 2,500-3,000 cases. They hospital numbers dropped from 515 to around 430 minimum last week, but given today's 474 it seems the extra cases last week are having an effect on hospital numbers.

I know Tony Holohan loves the limelight, we're all sick of covid, want to live our lives to the full, but, Holohan, Glynn are the experts, everything they predicted, like last January, came to pass. If Holohan says there's still cause for concern, there is. We have 8-10 deaths a day, that's double the October/early November deaths last year. It's a fact.

Yes the vaccines are working but not aswell as I wanted. Likewise I'm sceptical of Pfizer's claims about their magic viral drug. It's probably good, but nowhere near the 89% efficacy. These companies have too much skin in the game.

As was on some article today, it looks like it's a 3 jab vaccine that really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Friend of mine got symptom less positive pcr test and asked for retest as they are a crap test and was refused.

Unlike the thousands of public servants going in for a test everyday hoping for a positive for another holiday from work. She was severely inconvenienced by this.

I see Ryan gets a retest for holiday in Scotland. That all cop26 is.

I see people qued 2 hours for a booster with the same vaccine they got a few months ago. Experts have said this is a waste of money and should be getting an updated booster.

Pfizer love all this.

The passport should be done away with as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Will you cop on.

All we heard for a week there was 4000 cases coming, surge coming...the numbers dropped and then we hear oh, the peak is here of wave 4, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean lead by example and all, and he should be WFH. Just another case of do as I say and not as I do from those (insert your preferred curse word here)

Cop on about what?

Tony Holohan knows more about public health than you?

• Advertisement

Over the past fortnight there are more people in hospital with Covid than any time in the pandemic bar the first peak and the Jan/Feb 2021 peak. Can you handle that? It's a fact. Are you able to make a coherent point?

Do you know the hospital figures for this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was literally nothing stopping your friend from booking a second test.

The issue here is not the second test, it's the double standard. Anyone else would have been told the positive test was the important one and to go isolate.

Its possible, perhaps likely, that it's all above board and the first test was picked out as being a bit weak. But the optics here are atrocious. I don't think there is a way this can be explained which won't undermine public buy-in for voluntary testing.

Someone with a bit of savvy would have discussed with relevant public health officials whether just doing the isolation would have been the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why should a swabber have to be put at risk of swabbing the mouth of a known positive case, just because she didn’t like the result?

In any case, could she not have paid for a retest out of her own money?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,627 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So ERyan off to Glasgow after 2nd test is negative, surely a 3rd and isolate is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It’s ok, he was only a little bit positive according to some people trying to justify it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Maybe everyone without symptoms should have best out of three as policyZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I wont be gwtting a booster unless its a delta specific one and even at that, im not really bothered.

I was never afraid of catching covid, more so afraid of getting seriously ill/dying.

My vaccine stops that, a booster may reduce my chances of being infected but i have been around lots of positive people in the last 2 months and never caught it, negative antigens no symptoms so no PCR.

In theory, every time we are exposed to covid our immune system gets a booster.

If no booster means no vaccine passport then so be it. Ive been against them all along anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,627 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

But vaccinated people are catching it and some even dying

The only thing less relevant than case numbers is Eamon Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

Eamon Ryan's situation is so weird.

Was his first test an antigen test or a PCR?

I thought false negatives can be common but false positives less so. Its so weird.

He says he is asymptomatic so I don't see an issue with him moving about. There was an issue if he had symptoms.

Advertisement