Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'd agree with that except it affects the others at the bottom of the table. Better to have Shams start next season on minus 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Absolutely sh!tty behaviour by their twitter admin not to reference it, but I wouldn't expect anything else from certain people there.

Totally totally unacceptable by the "fans" involved as well. Hopefully the Gardai were there and can take some action, because I'm sure Rovers won't.

Disgusting stuff, fuming here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ireland's favourite club? Darlings of the media?

Will never be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

€500 fine that the money down the back of Dermot Desmond's couch will pay, so you're right. Not really a punishment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Meanwhile at Rovers HQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stopped going to the games myself about five years ago when I had kids. Living away from Tallaght now and my eldest it getting to the age where he's taking an interest and starting to talk about going to games, but shite like that really puts me off. Got Bray Wanderers five minutes down the road instead and think I'll end up bringing him there.

Post edited by super_furry on

Was not expecting a 3-0 win in Inchicore. Had given up on Europe a month ago but a mix of Derry & Bohs throwing it away and 3 big wins in the past week puts us on the verge.

Harps could secure Europe for us for the second year in a row if they can find a goal tonight....

Think overall you deserved Europe.

We have flattered to deceive. Last month or so shows that we are missing about 5 or 6 good players.

Shame that it looks like Duffy and McEleney won't be coming home to play in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

To be fair some of the best supporters in Ireland are Rovers supporters. Equally some of worst ‘fans’ in the country call themselves Rovers supporters.

The pitch in Oriel is far from perfect but only Rovers supporters tried to set it on fire. Two years running. I don't know if anybody noticed but Dundalk have to keep sand down at that end - only when Rovers ‘ supporters’ visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I don't understand why some people think it's acceptable to do this at a football match. You just don't get it with other sports.

The excuse will be that "it's just one idiot" but the supporters as a group should be putting manners on idiots like this.

Have been at many Ireland games abroad and any lads starting to act the maggot tend to be told to cop on pretty quickly.

Very hard for parents to bring kids to games in this type of environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's always one bad egg at Shamrock Rovers

Change the record. Same sh1te spouted when Finn Harps toilets vandalised and multiple incidents over the years

No other club comes anyway close to causing the same amount of anti social incidents

Othrt sports or other clubs. When cork were ‘good’ their fans brought flares to Oriel but they never tried to set the plastic pitch on fire.

Poor (very) quality

https://youtu.be/xqPEVziHN9Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We probably should have scored but Sligo deserved their win for some quality defending and very poor finishing from us. We definitely need a striker for next season, Coughlan was dreadful again this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What absolute dickhead sets off a firework and fires it at a pitch while a match is ongoing.

Mental behaviour.

Coughlan is incredibly frustrating sometimes. He's talented but he can spend a lot of time strolling around the pitch and not really look like he's interested which gets on your nerves.

Two arrested for the fireworks last night and one person treated in hospital for injuries sustained. Could have been a lot worse.

Waterford owner mentioned that he was in the middle of chatting to a young girls team who'd come along for their first big night of LOI football when the fireworks went off over their heads. Two of the girls ran off crying, fairly safe to say that their parents won't be letting them back into a game again.

Disappointing to see Shamrock Rovers brazening this out, even an early morning tweet with their players celebrating last night. I'd say the FAI haven't a clue what to do with them.

The club released a statement - but good luck finding it. Not on any of their social media channels, buried at the very bottom of their homepage.

Strong message lads. It was a big joke to them last night talking about "sparking an attack" and "embers of the match".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They have a tweet up this morning about the definition of class. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

That's quite an outburst from Bircham.

With two games to go, it will be interesting to see the reaction of the players.

• Advertisement

Bircham is very well regarded, and he told a few home truths as well not long after he arrived in the summer. Got rid of a few lads too.

He's basically offered a more politically correct version of what Sheridan said last year.

A lot of these lads have ended up at LOI clubs because they're lacking something which stops them playing at a higher level. It must be hard for managers who've played at an elite level to bite their tongues at times.

Hopefully he'll stay for the second year of his contract and build a squad of his own design next season in the premier division.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We all lack something to play at a higher level. You play at the level you are at as that is where your ability is. Unless we are the .1% that can be the best of the best.

I find the managers comments fairly shocking tbh. Waterford have been relatively poor this year but not as poor as playoff teams in other years. 40 points in 34 games is not that bad a performance. It would have you safe from relegation in most leagues.

Where do Waterford think they should be finishing in the league?

I like the idea of adding a 3rd tier but it has to be done right and not a reserve league masquerading as a 3rd tier. 3 or 4 reserve sides are grand, but use it as an opportunity to get other counties on to the pyramid. Getting a team involved from Mayo, Monaghan, Kildare and so on should be the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Few times already now he has seriously thrown some of his players under the bus publicly whether you think it's right or wrong that very rarely works out well for managers these days. I think he's done an decent job there with the backing he has received but they are still very much under threat of relegation which would fall on him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is it a third tier of 20 teams total devided into two geographically groups of 10...or 10 teams in 2 groups of 5?

Waterford's record with Bircham is about 2nd or 3rd best in the league.

He's done far better than a decent job with the absolute mess he inherited mid season and the budget available.

I'd trust his understanding and judgement about what should be expected from professional footballers.

I think the clever thing to do there would be to put in an east/west or north/south division to ease the burden of travelling for clubs at that level.

Hardybuck, I absolutely accept that Bircham has done a fantastic job.

However, comments like those can work two ways to either prompt the players into a positive reaction or to basically p!$$ them off to the extent that they won't do the job.

It will be interesting to see how the players react.

The article I've read, state a geographical devide, but 10 teams total would be silly so two groups of 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Ya has to be done correctly. The last time it was done with the A Championship there were too many reserve sides and there was no management of it. Then when it disbanded the likes of Tralee went back to their district league only to be told they had to start a few divisions below where they left. The likes of that would make me think it'll be heavily weighted towards college/LOI reserve sides plus a few of the non league clubs with sides in the underage leagues.

I think its refreshing that a manager has called it like it is.

I wish Higgins would come out and say some of the Derry performances of late have been sh1t, instead of just the usual platitudes they must all learn when doing their coaching badges.

Did they really have to put 4 games on at the same time today? Might've bought the Galway game had they put the playoffs on at a different time to the PD games but I'll just watch Drogs/Bohs now.

Ya the 5pm Sunday kickoff is just bizarre. We'll get 3500/4000 anyway but it's just a typically poor scheduling effort. No reason the 2 games had to be on at the same time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

that Rovers mouthpiece Emma Wheatley on Twitter is some piece of work.

complaining indignantly about people only bringing up the actions of the rovers section at the RSC. The reality that Whenthere are videos of fireworks being fired at players from that section then people will concentrate on that seems beyond her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very surprised to beat galway, but what a goal to do it

• Advertisement

UCD facing Bray in the Playoff final, still don't see either side beating whoever finishes 9th in the Premier. Galway should be disappointed not scoring at least once in 180 minutes against Bray. On the bright side, super crowd at Eamonn Deacy Park, stadium was absolutely packed.

Bought the Galway game in the end and boy were they disappointing. Apart from Waweru hitting the bar after a corner they didn't create many opportunities. Bray defended well and deserve the win.

Looks like Treaty were on for an amazing comeback in the other game but were reduced to 10 for this.

It's hard to criticise a kid but Drogheda's keeper has coughed up soft goals in our last 3 games.

I dont think that both Waterford and Harps will win theirlast 2 games but we really should be safe by now.

Up to 6th now. That extra time penalty for Bohs might make all the difference.

Can’t see anyone from the 1st division beating Harps or Drogheda. Can’t see Waterford in playoffs either.

Agreed that the Treaty red was harsh, but delighted to get to meet Bray now. Big shock that Galway didn’t make it, they were by far the ‘best of the rest’ after Shels in that division

• Advertisement

UCD are the top scorers in the 1D and gave Waterford a proper game in the cup. I think they have a chance against any of the 3 in danger.

Galway's problem is that Caulfield is too negative in the way he sets his sides up

Yep I agree with everything the last 5 or 6 posters have said about us. We didn't do enough tonight. All comes down to how JC and the staff set us up and send them out. We're too rigid in our game plan and don't have any plan b. It's hit diagonals and if that doesn't work try to get it wide and get it in.

A hugely disappointing end to the season. A failure in my eyes and JC needs to make big changes next season to get it right. Style of play has to adapted.

Congrats to Bray though, super goal from the only good bit of football in the game. They defended well all night and kept us at arm's length.

Great crowd up in EDP, officially 3700 but it was closer to 4200 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A decent support base in Galway if things were done properly there. They've just never done themselves any favours. Caulfield's not the man for the job but i can see them going at least half another FD season before they figure that out.

I think he'll get all of next season, unless we're not in the playoff picture, which almost everyone is so it's kinda default.

He did well when he initially came in. Got us organised, strong defensively and dangerous on set pieces. But we've stagnated and not evolved at all from that. Regressed almost. No excuses next season.

Ya but in fairness ye didn't always play like that either. Ye had players like Kearney, Danny Murphy, Maguire etc who offered width, speed, attacking FB play. Might have been that the players suited a slightly better style then.

He needs to change something next year, can't have a second full time season without promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

He needed to change something with 25 mins to go, and didn’t do anything until 86th minute. Galway huffed and puffed but never really threatened or even looked like scoring. Cunningham and Murphy came on in 86th and set up a couple of efforts, won a corner in a short space of time. Had they got 20 or even 15mins they might have made a difference. I felt sorry for Waveru. He held up a lot of play, but got little support. A real missed opportunity again, and in front of a full house who would obviously relish premier football.

fair play to Bray, they got one chance in 180 mins, and took it. Good luck to them going forward.

He brought Doherty on for Boylan at 70 mins. Moved the always ineffective Rowe to middle of midfield. Doherty was an improvement on Rowe but still didn't do much. His subs are usually too little too late and they are always the same

If we are level or behind at the hour he usually takes off Wilson no matter how he is playing. Then it's Rowe to middle midfield and Doherty or Place out wide. It's another of the rigid things that are very annoying, it's like an NFL playbook and doesn't take any in game stuff into it.

Honestly think the referee has got that one right, it was a pretty bad challenge

To emphasize how badly our league is run

a few weeks ago Dundalk had 2 games in hand. 6 games in 18 days followed. Now we a game more played than anybody bar drogheda and have no match for 12 days. Lunatics are running our league.

equally drogheda had a pile of matches in the past week - and now they have no match for 12 days. Lunacy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement