Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why were the guards threatening anyone who left, with jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Firstly you know it was riddled with covid ?

Secondly,

Well at least we know this is a load of nonsense . Gardai aren't doing what you described at all, because it's not permitted in legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That'll be up to the FAI. There's been no drink at the last 2 games

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Asked her how everyone felt.Fine, was the answer.When she realised there was really very little else to say about it, it calmed down a bit.As the week has gone on, thankfully, the panic wore off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You've just got caught with the blanket restriction on drinking at bars. From a government perspective one single rule is easier to apply even if it throws up some complete daftness. I think some minister used the word anomalies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So true on the RTE issue.

I had last Friday's drivetime show on in the background,and was struck by how often the presenter ( I have no idea who he was) attempted to drag each Political interviewee back to the Case Numbers...constant references to the "Sharp Rise" and what that meant in terms of Health Service collapse etc.

This tactic continued across the spectrum from Ministers to TD's and even the odd other correspondent...It was far from subtle and,to be honest,pointed to an unhealthy personal preoccupation on the presenters behalf.

This has become very noticeable with the NPHET representatives also,with Dr Holohan,a trained proffessional,apparently now believing that Humans behaving Humanly is something to be feared and eradicated.

Perhaps,since NPHET is apparently now a permanent QUANGO on the Irish Public Administration scene,it could be time to allow the likes of Dr Holohan and his crew some "Special Leave" and replace them with a few fresh faces,hopefully with a healthier and broader focus on how the Human Race actually functions (Outside of a Laboratory setting).

FEAR,really IS the key.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not much use for you now but this can probably only be a good thing as we learn to live with the virus. Presuming that she interacts with friends who also fear the virus, as time goes on those that are fearful will see through friends and other people close to them that the virus isn't the scary monster it is being made out to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well exactly @prunudo and also since she has now had it, hopefully it will be a little less of an issue.She will be due a booster shortly too.

I wouldn't mind, this is a woman in her mid 60s we are talking about here, in perfect health!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One of the problems about media coverage throughout this is that they have focused on 2 key stats, daily cases and deaths because the public will. Unfortunately they have been unable to move on to analyse this in more detail and to explain why, as cases ‘soar’ hospitals are not inundated. Of course this is not helped by the ongoing NPHET message of concern about case numbers but it tends to eliminate other perspectives. As a public health advisory group they are obliged to warn people about the risks of too much activity but even they have absolutely no idea why these case numbers are not converting to much larger hospital numbers.

I tend to defer to Colm Henry on this. For months he's been saying that the connection between cases and hospitalization has been weakened and now with the advent of boosters in addition to our very high levels of vaccination the disease is blunted.  

Whether the level of cases encourage a reintroduction of some restrictions is unclear but while they do remain at such high levels they are a justification for it. So it's to everybody's benefit to see these them slip back well below 2000. 

@AlekSmart , you say it well - it's the constant messaging that normal human behaviour is wrong and somehow rule-breaking that is the most disturbing.

Even if I do get the point that it is to prevent spread, it still seems wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

@shesty,the same thing happened the father of one of my friends,he is fully vaccinated and was still afraid of the virus,would be in his mid sixties. Pre-covid he would go for a few pints occasionally. Wouldn't go to the pub since.

Guess what happened him, picked up covid,probably from grandchildren who brought it home from school. He had the sniffles for a few days but was able to work away( he is a farmer). And last weekend he was back in the pub having recovered and isolated for his 10 days.

I know it's easy say now because he didn't get sick with it but the best thing to happen him was to pick up covid so he can go back to living his life again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

My dad got Covid last week. He’s early 70s, but in good health pretty much. He had symptoms for about 2 days - headache, bad cough and a bit achey. He was over it and was out and about on the farm by the time he got his positive result. Even though he was working away on the farm and felt fine, once he got his result, my mother was worried sick.

I tried telling them that it was actually a good thing that’s he’s gotten Covid and got over it with no issues. He now has extra protection from the vaccine and infection, and he’s unlikely to get it worse the next time. She was unsure, but I think she’s coming around to the idea! I think my dad was shocked that he got Covid after hearing about it for so long on and having the fear put into him by RTE, and what he got wasn’t that bad. It was kind of like “is that it”?

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm near seventy and no fear of covid, for two reasons.

We can't lie under it any longer and I'm well vaccinated.

And also I'm won't die young at this stage, the body fu...ing up from now on has me peed off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And fair play to you,its the way everyone should be living their lives,but it's the fear Rte and NHPET officials constantly on the media have instilled in a certain cohort in this country is disgraceful. They are doing more damage than covid could do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There has never been drinking at bars in stadiums, you get your drinks and you move on to let the next customer order their pints

Also I'm fairly sure there's a UEFA/FIFA rule against serving booze at soccer matches

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's difficult to believe that people can be so affected by listening to media.

People should work out their own salvation, it's true that media is putting worst case scanario on it and people should be informed of the worst case scenario. Massive odds now that you won't be a hospital case if you get infected, but if you are a hospital case wll it's tough luck but sure wasn't that the way for years with flu

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

When are the hospitality passes due to end this time?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I am 39 - I did reach a point a few months ago where I felt I had a higher possibility of being killed by cancer or a heart attack in the next decade, rather than covid.

All we can do it try to live I suppose.Funnily enough, my dad (who was also positive), was the complete opposite - vaccine doing it's work and we can't lock ourselves up forever.Which balanced out the overall reaction a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There's been no further timetable announced yet.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is the same sport that had 2 meter social distancing for national anthems but minutes later went into scrums and rucks. As said, pure theatre, no logic, no science. It was P.R and marketing to "send a message".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But it seems so many people support this charade. Even a lot of younger people in Ireland have behaved conservatively supporting such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's totally bizarre it's similar to people getting into a flap over the queue outside a night club that's outside but them being apparently fine with them all being on a dance floor together!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

What I mean is that there are areas away from the bar itself like a countertop that you could always leave your drinks or food down etc and mingle.

Plus all the windows were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think people feel they sort of have to put on an act and be concerned especially online and around certain people. Dare question something and your labeled an anti covid moron or a granny killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh yes and then in private among like minded friends, people drop the act. Typical Irish rubbish.

You can't expect people to just say what they think and be called an 'anti vaxxer' though like, can you?..

The funniest is whenever anyone brings up any point at all against the acceptable narrative and they have to qualify it by going 'Now, I'm definitely not anti vax, I've been vaccinated twice, even for typhoid a couple of times, but..'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You are fully anti vax though? Anti-restrictions, anti-masks, COVID is just the flu, we should let excess deaths occur and now it's theatre? Do correct if I have any of that wrong.

But you can probably see why others don't want to put themselves in that category? It's because they'd have no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've a family member who participates in all the rituals in public, hand washing, mask wearing, the lot. Said family member has been sick with either a flu or covid the last few days, and they are going around the house coughing on everything and everyone. I literally asked them to stop coughing in my direction, and a few hours later they coughed right over my shoulder. There's many people like that, who do all the rituals purely for show, who really don't care when the mask is removed(no pun intended).

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

My wife was in Kilkenny for the weekend. Said they went for a meal on Saturday then went to have a drink. Went down St Kierans street which is one of the busiest streets in the city. She said they were the only three people on the street. This was about 9.30pm on a Saturday. They just went back out to the hotel instead. Are people now starting to self restrict because of De Numbers? Tony will be very pleased with you all and your little medals will be sent out shortly. All very good little boys and girls.

Advertisement