Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I like your take and hope you are right!haha been a while since a low points winner but perhaps the league is due one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We deserved to lose, but if the ref does his job, we're playing 10 men for most of the game.

Plus the first goal, as much as I want better protection for Alisson is a foul. Every day of the week.

Seems mental that that was our first loss in 7 months and we find ourselves 4th. I know there is loads of factors that go into that , summer break etc. Just still seems a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Its been coming tbf, brighton could have beaten us at anfield, as could have brentford, the 5-0 against utd makes us look much better then we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bobbys constant hustle and harrying and pressing of opposition players is badly missed when he isn’t available no one else in the squad can come anywhere near him for being a pest to the opposition.

If thats a foul on the keeper then im never watching soccer again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He had an arm in his face.

You may not like the rule, or how keepers have been refereed for the last 20 years, but that's a foul pretty much all of the time.

I don’t see any foul play for first goal, just looks as if Ali lost the flight of the ball and missed the punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The problem with the first goal is West Ham had 2 players standing on Allison’s toes and no Liverpool defender tried to get them out of there. You get your body in between them and the keeper and get them out of there. Summed up how soft we were today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought there was a foul on Allison about six or seven seconds before the ball came in but really struggled to see one once he jumped.

I was very surprised not see a red for Cresswell, shocked not to even see it referred for ref to view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The problem with the first goal is West Ham had 2 players standing on Allison’s toes and no Liverpool defender tried to get them out of there. You get your body in between them and the keeper and get them out of there. Summed up how soft we were today.

Same thing for second, TAA stood there picking his nose while Zouma jumped unchallenged. Klopp will be tearing his hair out when he watches this in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Our players let us down today

They knew what tyoe of a game ot would be and where not up for the fight

The first goal Becjer has to be stronger and someone also has to help protect him

Second goal Antonio is clever and runs into VVD to stop him getting across on to the runner

3rd one Rice held VVD by the waist and everyone is asleep to Zouma whos a big lad how has no one seen him

Arsenal next who have won 3 in a row and we will be under huge pressure aftern the last two leauge results,

If they beat us the go ahead of us towe have been no where near good enough consistently this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's been said numerous times, but, not strengthening midfield in the summer was a poor mistake and will likely cost us the league title. On paper we might have 8 midfielders, but, in reality we can only rely on 4 - (Fabinho, Henderson, Thaigo & Milner) and there are issues with all 4, Fabinho, Henderson and Thaigo our first choice all tend to miss 10-15 games a season, Milner is pushing on, a great squad player ( also expected to cover for TAA), but, can't be expected to play every week. Then we have Keita always injured, Ox not good enough/ injuries, Jones talented, but, still learning the game and inconsistent as most young players are, Elliott too young yet and shouldn't really have been counted as a full squad member and certainly not as Gini's replacement. It was an obvious area of the squad that needed to be looked at over the summer, it should be addressed in January, but, probably won't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No excuses the hammers were the better side throughout.

Serious question about Robbo now, his delivery is simply awful the past 12 months or more.

In the first 10 minutes on two occasions he had 3 in the box and hit the ball behind all three nowhere near a pool player.

I counted 9 times in the first half he had clear chances to hit a pool player in the box and didnt come even close to doing so, he simply has to be dropped now and not just for a single game like recently, Kostas has proved more than capable.

Alisson was dreadful too but atleast hes been good in general this season.

Mane was really poor again, Fabinho unlike him to be poor but he was, Ox as per usual has a good game followed by a mediocre one.

Thats was close to our best team on paper and we got bossed by West ham all game long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arthur Cabral started the season well, 23 goals in 24 appearance. 13 goals, 4 assists for 13 league games. He just keeps doing it, goal from last week.

For all vd's high and mighty bravado personna he puts on he's as weak as **** and scared of his own shadow, he has no balls and is the reason hes not or never will be captain

Scores with his left, with his right, with his head, bicycle kicks, fox in the box, lethal from long range, and rolls in penalties at a snails pace, with the keeper made to sit like a good little doggy.

We need him in Jan, so obvious .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I notice Salah’s agent and talk of Salah’s contract seems to have gone quiet since he stopped scoring every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Trent is a great attacking full back but being honest he's shocking at defending, brutal in the air and always targeted by opposition teams, amazing he can't be coached to improve or even get cynical and take the odd yellow to snuff out danger, has he ever ever headed clear a corner for instance

I wish ta god wed just move him away from defence altogether

Salah hasn't done a lot in 2.5 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He can still improve sure, but is often exposed within the system.

The second goal wasn't on him really. Mane should have blocked off Zouma, and Ali should have gotten something on the cross, they are more culpabable in my view, Trent is down in third for attributing blame.

Trent (wrongly this time) trusted that Ali would deal with the cross - it was the wrong decision but more a system failure than all on Trent to be fair.

Midfield is killing us

Its CB all over and everyone seen it coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Two of our most consistent performers played in the middle today and both were poor. Just a bad day at the office, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

We were top at the turn of the year last season.

The slump is happening sooner this season. The lack of investment (midfield depth and attacking reinforcements with AFCON in mind) was called by many who were declared to be treacherous heathens who should go and support City or Chelsea.

We have the best manager in the world it's a real pity we cannot invest in the quality that would be needed.

We are basically wasting jurgen klopp which is scandalous, hell be gone in a couple of years and where we should have 3-4 lge titles if he was backed we'll have one and probably have to wait another 30 yrs for the nxt one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t know is that FSG aren’t willing to spend money or that Klopp doesn’t like having a big squad. Don’t think it’s entirely on the board. JK is happy to chance going players in the squad. It then not change the team during the game.

• Advertisement

It's so so cool that one defeat in god knows how many games is considered a slump under Klopp. Living the dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Exactly this. Ive seen plenty of goals already this season and over the years disallowed for far less than what happened alisson for the first goal. Keepers are a protected species. Also we literally saw Holgate get sent off against Spurs about an hour before the Cresswell/Hendo incident for an almost identical situation...not even a foul given against us. We were not great today but the ref was worse imo.

Lets see how Chelsea look, after they play they next few games, Leicester A, United, West Ham A.

We have 4 of the next 6 league games at home, Arsenal, Southampton,Villa, Newcastle , 4 at home.

We are literally 4 pts off top, we started the weekend 3pts off top. And one pint behind City.

Chill

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

It's a skewed stat though isnt it? 1 defeat since April. United finished above us last season and we currently sit in 4th.

We will probably never see the likes of this manager again, the competition is too fierce in our league to build a dynasty but 1 title in his time here will be disappointing given his magic.

Anyone who sees any positive in not reinforcing the squad this summer (given the decimation at the back last season and thin true competition in midfield and home in attack due to AFCON this season) is blind.

These guys run the club responsibly but it's clear they are happy to finish 4th and pick up champions League money every season. See their comments on how Arsenal was run in the latter Arsene Wenger years, it was the model they were aiming for. Spend feck all and pick up guaranteed European money.

I think FSG want to win, they have said it enough times. Plus they have never failed to back Klopp, Klopp himself is a tight German, very frugal, part of his makeup, he never demanded a midfielder, he wanted Konate , and so he was got.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Exactly, if JK wanted more players he would have got them. Otherwise he would have shown public annoyance. I don’t think FSG have said no to him at any point. We have no reason to say otherwise. He wanted Werner, who chose London over Liverpool. He wanted Fekir who broke down at medical stage. I think Gini left with his blessing.

the only slightly public message he gave was FSG need to tie salah down in his interview after the utd game. He knows better than anyone how to manipulate the media and he has never shown any unhappiness toward FSG.

Although, I do think he will have a crack at Bellingham in the Summer. Well at least I hope so anyway

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A few decent weeks of form for Mane have kind of masked the fact that overall he's been pretty terrible for well over a year. He had the volley at the start of the second half that he hit straight at Fabianski and the free header at the end that he put wide. Peak Mane would have buried both of these, but he's a player on the wrong side of his best.

No competition for his place unfortunately.

I think with CL wins, tv money, full stadiums, that FSG will be okay with buying in Jan. But will Klopp again be stubborn and put all his faith in Jones, Elliott, Milner, Ketia, Ox I mean that's why he didn't want a midfielder, he had 5 back fit that he could use if , Henderson, Thiago, Fab had a injury, in a way he was correct, no one could have predicted all the injuries in midfield. Except for Keita😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we all knew midfield could be a problem, but equally we all know why it was tricky to fix - we've a shedload of midfielders already there and needed to shift a few before we go adding more. The club actively said during the last transfer window that without outgoings, incomings were hard, but that selling was proving difficult with the market as it was.

Elsewhere, for other transfers, would love us to look at the Brugge kid De Ketelaere as a long term Bobby successor. As a midfielder converted to a forward he does that same thing of being a great fulcrum for the players around him. Can play-make, move out of position to create space, and score goals. Plays a lot like Kai Havertz (who would've been an ideal Bobby replacement too if not for his cost).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

MELTDOWN MONDAYS ARE BACK!!!

FSG out! Klopp out! Slump is coming earlier this year. It's all over. Am I doing this right?

Scary times when Toby is the voice of reason 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

On a serious note though it is worrying that we have to score 3 goals in every game both home and away to win or draw a game.

It's like a return to heavy metal football.

We need to grind out a few 1-0 wins to build some steel.

At the start of the season, who did you see as the teams most likely to challenge for the title? I’d say most would have thought Liverpool, the reigning champions Man City, and reigning Champions of Europe Chelsea. We have missed 5 opportunities in 11 games to stay ahead of those 2, so all is not rosy in the garden. No one is saying FSG out, Klopp out, though some do suspect the likelihood of winning the league lessens due to the ease with which opposing teams score against us, even with our full compliment of defenders. So it is understandable that as happy as people were after the Utd win, there has been frustration the last two weekends.

Yes and both still stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes because we have nothing to replace them with

It's the performances that are the worry, we are way to open 3 goals away to Brentford & Westham and Brighton getting 2 at our place just isn't good enough

People saying we are 4 off the top but at the same time United are just 5 behind us and Arsenal just 2,

We have played 11 games and dropped points in 5 of them

If we want to win the league it's no where bear good enough no where near good enough

Its perspective,

We are a good side and we will comfortably be in the top four but the standards have been rasied we all want to win the league, being close isnt enough now, Its about winning it

And so far it looks like lack of investment in areas means that wont be possible this season

The extra pressure comes from knowing Klopp will be gone when his contract is up so any season not winning it seems like a huge opportunity missed

• Advertisement

Theres no way Klopp was happy losing a stalwart like Gini and not replacing him at all

Klopp not that stupid

In Football a lot of the time oits pretty easy to see things playing out in advance for instance Its November and we have Milner, Keita, Gomez injured and Thaigo coming back trying to find fitness, If anyone predicted that in the summer we'd all say yep i can see that happening

Klopp no doubt knew not replacing Gini would hurt us

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Mistakes all over the pitch for the goals. For the 2nd goal Fabinho shouldn't have passed the ball into the congested area with so many WH players about. When WH got possession Ox should have taken a yellow as he knew he was going to be hooked. Thiago was warming up at that point. Then the GK was very poor for the shot.

We'll continue to slip down the table if we can't get the defence sorted. I think Robertson should be dropped for a few games and give Tmiskas a run. He has been very impressive when he gets his chance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

utter nonsense, hes not long back from a possible career ending injury.

Ofcourse it will take long time to get the confidence back, to suggest he is weak and cowardly is ridiculous, hes proved the very opposite many times.

Naby has been called up for International duty ..WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I thought VVD had a good game yesterday. The problems for me are as someone above stated we seem to need to score 3 goals to win a game. It's almost like we've reverted to when Klopp first arrived and it stems from the midfield and Robertson and Trents positions. Trent offers so much going forward that i think it's a hit we probably just have to live with but Robertston has been starting all the big games this season on past reputation alone IMO. Tsimikas has been the form player but isn't getting the starts for whatever reason. Is Klopp too loyal?

The midfield is another issue which the dog on the street could see i know there are reasons we didn't sign anyone (mainly as we didnt move anyone on and finance) but we need to clear some of the dead wood in the squad.

I don't think yesterday was the issue as West Ham deserved to win - the issue was dropping points at Brighton and Brentford from winning positions and a full half of football against 10 man Chelsea. Long way to go but we need to strengthen in January if we really want to challenge for the title.

• Advertisement
Advertisement