Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Fantastic county final , a credit to kilkenny gaa. As a Cork man I can only dream about a day we'd have a final with that level of intensity.

Some fair hard challenges going in but all in spirit of game, taken and given in equal measure

Thought the red card was the only dirty blow, a shot into the throat like that is damn sore I can assure you. The goalie certainly wasn't making a meal of that. The sub looked a complete liability from moment he came on

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I thought the defender (Mullen?) flicked the ball away before catching Deegan with the follow through as they were travelling in opposite directions. I didn’t see any intent in it whatsoever myself & certainly would not have considered it a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Behen is a top quality Referree. He really let the game flow. Himself, Bourke and Crowley and maybe Cahill are the best Refs in Kilkenny. They make it about the game not themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭threeball

Thought Ballyhale got away with murder when they were behind. The flick to the face was a stone wall red and not even a free was given. Adrian Mullen should have seen a yellow at minimum for kneeling the downed Gaels player to the chest after he fouled him. Number of other questionable decisions when Gaels were in the ascendancy which effectively kept them in the game.

The first shamrocks goal came after a blatant foul and the goalie should have seen red in the red card incident for instigating and driving the hurl into the attacker's face.

Yes they pulled away late but the ref was very lenient on them and reffed properly it probably would have went the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I'm a Kilkenny man living a long way from Kilkenny now, and I thought it a fantastic exhibition - mainly because the referee let tough, hard tackles go without out blowing. That ref today seemed more concerned with ensuring players were allowed hurl and battle - within the rules. It was tough betimes, but it was honest, decent (oftentimes glorious) hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very enjoyable game. Ballyhale are an incredible club, their 19th title in 44 years, credit to OLG for putting it up to them for most of the game. If you had said that they would keep the Shamrocks full forward line of Colin Fennelly, Eoin Reid and Eoin Cody scoreless, you would think that they would be well on the way to victory but Shamrocks have so many class players. Their backs and midfielders contributed 1 - 7. Nice to see the Bennettsbridge team of 50 years ago being honoured, they were the Shamrocks of their day winning over 10 titles in a 20 year period. It would be nice to think that the current Shamrocks team will be honoured in 50 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anything to be said for having senior club matches 70 minutes in duration? Players are fit enough I would say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I’d try him in midfield for KK.

Huw Lawlor at 6, Conor Delaney at 3

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Absolutely. Can't understand in this day and age why there is a difference between club and county games

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Indeed, particularly at senior level. Plus (ridiculously) they still have a water break. Rugby at all the top levels is played for 80 minutes, and it is often brutally physical. With the amount of substitutions allowed nowadays, 70 minutes is easy to argue for, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Thought Ballyhale got away with murder when they were behind. The flick to the face was a stone wall red and not even a free was given. Adrian Mullen should have seen a yellow at minimum for kneeling the downed Gaels player to the chest after he fouled him. Number of other questionable decisions when Gaels were in the ascendancy which effectively kept them in the game. 

The first shamrocks goal came after a blatant foul and the goalie should have seen red in the red card incident for instigating and driving the hurl into the attacker's face. 

Yes they pulled away late but the ref was very lenient on them and reffed properly it probably would have went the other way.

Your funny fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The shamrocks corner back was fouled a couple of times with chops when he came up scored that goal.

Thats a weak spine. Lawlor is average at best. Million miles off in terms of skill to Declan Hannon, Padraig Walsh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ah now, woeful harsh on Lawlor to call him average at best. Personally think he's been excellent at full back for Kilkenny. I don't understand the rush to take him out of there by some people when its been a problem position for us for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id agree that padraig walsh is an very skill full hurler but not sure if he has the discipline required for a position like centre back.

Maybe I'm phrasing that wrong. I think he could be more effective in a more attacking role of either wing back or midfield.

A few times this year he was he attacked up the left wing and v wexford for example and hit a wide, wexford looked to have had identified this and put a puck out straight into the gap he had left exposed.. Now that's also the Job of midfielders plugging the gap but I think kk were at their best with a centre back who held the centre like brian hogan and the likes of declan hannon is playing a similar role now for limerick.

Deegan and p walsh might be a decent partnership midfield.

With delaney full back and lawlor centreback.

I agree, he has been very solid full back, has mastered the arts of playing there. Leave him there and build the backs around him. No need for him centre back. I do not think his hurling is up to the level to play there. These are 2 completely different position in the modern game. Your centre back in the modern game needs to be getting on as many possessions as possible and distributing and reading the opposition, if he needs to go long or weather he plays through the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

No suprise with Colin not coming back.We're all braced for a good few retirements.Well done to both teams yesterday.I seen deegan in the forwards against the rower and he has improved every game.You cant ever knock him for effort.i wonder will he be tried further up the field for the county.We have alot surgery to be done on the county team.I wouldn't mind if brassil came back and tried him on the half back line but I wouldn't be optimistic about our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think once Colin didn’t come back last year it was always likely this was going to happen, it was very unlikely Cody was going to have him back but in fairness he had a great career and absolutely got the maximum from his career, his list of achievements speaks for himself and best of luck to him in his retirement!

On yesterday’s game, as everyone has said it was a great game of hurling and great advertisement for Kilkenny hurling! O’Loughlins put up a great fight and if a couple of breaks had went there way the result might have been different but Shamrocks showed there class and once they got a sniff they were ruthless and killed the game off! Some of the bigger name players didn’t hit the heights but they have so much talent all over the pitch and I thought Ronan Corcoran and Brian Cody were excellent. A lot of people have a lot of varied opinions on Paddy Deegan but one thing you can’t fault him for is effort and commitment and I thought he was excellent again yesterday! O’Loughlins 2 corner backs were very good yesterday too and I could be wrong but I think both are still U-20? Conor Heary also looks like a good prospect I thought he hurled very well yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Mikey Butler was corner back for the U20s in 2019 so he's not underage anyway. Jordan Molloy and Conor Heary were there as well.

I don't know anything about Forristal or Fogarty if you're talking about them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Sorry I thought Butler was still U-20 but missed it through injury but your probably right in fairness! I thought Fogarty was on the U-20 team this year he looks like a good little hurler. I know Forristal has been about a good while but always does a good job for them in fairness.

Just in at the county board meeting tonight they said 146 players have been in for trials for next years minor, Derek Lyng already has an U-20 squad together and working with them! Apparently they also have a backup U-19 squad also been put through S&C looking ahead for next year. They also say that senior squad is currently been put together and will be getting back into it once the championships are finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I've heard of a player not planning to go back but given the lack of opportunity not a surprise. Also have heard of 3 players being asked in and declining to be part of the senior setup, one of them 2 years in a row. From what I've heard Brassil is also very unlikely to go back into the county setup anytime soon for personal reasons. This is a real pity as he was one of the few players who really stood out this year. I really fear the cupboard is going to be very bare when we start training again. I also don't think it will do any young lad joining the setup too many favours in terms of their reputation going forward expecially if their exposed in a raw team on a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If lads are declining to go into the Kilkenny hurling team it's time for the county board to take a look in the mirror. Last I checked that's meant to be every young lads dream. The occasional lad here or there with a good reason is one thing but that's a pattern.

Can't start a rebuild under Cody anyway, that much should be clear. But they are losing both older players they need to compete now, and losing the younger players they need for the future. So what exactly is the plan here? Where are we going at senior level? Let alone underage.

On Sunday I watched a Savage game, plenty of talented players as always. It's very disappointing to know that won't be translated into anything substantial for the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Hearing of a Tragic accident in Kieran's yesterday with a young hurler.so sad for all Kilkenny hurling comunity .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Awful sad news.God help everyone.Hopefully he pulls through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

.I'm sick at the thoughts of it.Its devastating .fearing the worst

Advertisement