Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've been eyeing up this largely scrub feild at the bottom of my farm for the last 20yrs, just for the views, finally managed to get some sort of lease on it and milkers across to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How are you fixed sr wise for new nitrates bands

Under 6500l, so 92kg per cow puts me bang on the 250 kg/ha limit at my current land, the hope is I'll get maps on the likes of above lol, I'm looking at leasing more land next yr anyways, given the fertilizer situation, and operate at a lower input system for the year, depends on how the winter goes also, got a big bank of fodder the second but that can go fast if its a wet spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Big changes starting to finally happen in the farming scene I feel. Younger population of farmer's son and daughters are educated and have no interest in manual work or manual work with unknown wages.

Hopefully next year I might be in a similar situation with possibly new land leased.

The best of luck with it.

Eye here is always on the organic option but you do need the acres to even think about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

That's some spot. Is there any fence at the edge there, would they ever slip down onto beach? Also what are the structures in the background, round towers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Its 6500kg, so must be under 6300L to stay below it. More or less the same as yourself here, but just below it with a young herd, too close for comfort so gonna work off the 106 planning ahead

Agreed, 180 cows here would be a MP sr of not much over 3, lets say I dropped the sr to 2.2 overall and run a semi organic system, I'd need another 90ac, I'd be reasonably confident of getting that within 3miles next few yrs. Do I want that tho lol, I'm very unlikely to bother unless a very enthusiastic employee/partner landed on my doorstep. Of course the Glanbia peak supply puts an end to them sort of number's anyways. But yep labour and interest a huge limitation here, I myself have told afew of them farmer sons etc who have worked for me that they should head off and get themselves as good an education as possible, knowing full well they'll probably never be back, its the reality of the world of opportunity we live in today.

Temporary fence across it, with no shock or anything lol, no real cliffs, overgrown bank so unlikely the cows would wander down. I could put heifers etc there instead, but they absolutely would find their way down ha, so 3 grazings with the milkers the easy way out. Round towers are the 2 Wicklow lighthouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Folks, remember somebody on this forum mentioned some kind of group electricity scheme a while back (basically looking for cheaper electricity),anybody advise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ginger22

Have the new nitrates regulations been slipped in under the radar, extended closed period, dirty water storage etc. The department have pulled a fast one under radar of COP methane emissions. Of course our farm organisations too incompetent deal with two issues at the same time, divide and distract, some bright boys in dept, far too clever for our boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Noting has been signed of yet by Europe, to be honest farmers just need to be showing the same level of compliance to the more onerous regulations been brought in as Irish water do re discharging waste water/sewage into waterways, the EU have banned this since 2002, why does a dairy farmer have to comply within months of new regulations been drafted in, and a semi-state/government bodies get 20 odd plus years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭straight

It's gas to hear the council's excuses of lack of funding, etc. Funny that Eamon Ryan isn't able to go to the party in Glasgow to "lead" the Irish delegation and spout more bs about the hardest working people in his country. I see Jeremy Clarkson is doing a great job speaking up for the farmers in the UK at least.

Lack of funding needs to be the new message from farmers too, just nicely worded that due to loans drew down to be compliant with the current nitrate regulations, my financial institution doesn't currently see that said farmer is in the position to take on any more debt as meeting repayments and interest on current borrowings plus drawing a living wage and taking into account hyper-inflation re inputs any more new borrowings would leave the farming business in a precarious financial position

Farmers will just be told how to supplement their income. I'm waiting for the day the teachers unions are told how their members could supplement their income over their holidays. That would be some laugh.

With the cost of living sky-rocketing in alot of cases where the partners wage would be keeping the house/food on the table, its not going to stretch to the above going forward, its a perfect storm in alot of ways

Problem Is farmers are sitting on valuable assets, rest of country see this and don't really care if wer thrown under a bus

I know. Listening to David mc Williams podcast during the week about civilizations that went extinct. The one thing that they all had in common was that they ran out of food to sustain themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People view food as negotiable now. Agriculture as a legacy industry, unfit for modernity.

Surprisingly, people will find that food is a very significant part of daily life, I'd go so far as to say almost essential.

Food prices are rocketing now, next year even more so.

• Advertisement

David Montgomery had the same spiel in his books. Civilisations settled on the most fertile ground. Cities developed and ground all around was tilled every year for crops. Through tillage the ground went from the most fertile to degraded and spent.

The only civilisation that overcame that was the Egyptians with the Nile bursting its banks every year and bringing nutrients from Ethiopia onto the floodplains. Didn't end well for them when Rome eyed up that farmland and took over Egypt to ensure their own people were fed.

On a smaller scale is can see it across the road from me. A farmer bought land and put it all in grass. Half was (waste) fallow for donkeys years. Half was in continuous tillage set on conacre. The Half that was in tillage the grass reseed is yellow lacking nutrients. The Half that was fallow the grass was/is bursting over the ditches.

David Montgomery had it that tillage was behind the American dream. It started on the east coast and as the farmers land became degraded they moved west and needing more and more acres till the west coast was reached. The later emigrants moving into the Eastern States met with degraded land started dairying to make the best of it.

Absolutley, grassland and livestock is by far the most sustainable form of food production. Just dig up a spadefull of soil in a grass field, full of worms, do the same in a continious tillage field you will struggle to find one. Yet all the experts and "green warriors" want farmers to change to tillage and growing vegetables. The mind boggles.

It doesn't sit well with me at all. Any farmer should be prioritising soil health and life.

If a concession be made though min till is the best of a bad lot. But you won't get the stability of a grass sod.

The future does look like any near intensive grassland farmer will need a min till seed drill for mss. Forget grant aid on fert spreaders, grant aid should be on seeders. Irish manufacturers look to be behind the curve on their development. We're exporting balers to nz and importing seeders.

And will the MSS take well by direct drilling. Could be a game changer is successful. Anybody with experience ?

Sow with a single pass with the disc harrow, after cutting or grazing the existing grass sward very tight, and then graze at a cover of 800 next rotation to give the mss a chance to establish. 2kg plantain 2kg chicory, and either 1 or 2kg clover (2 if no clover already). Sometimes the mss can be slow to take off, 4 or 5 months, and you might think its failed, but then it hits in hard. Loads of watery slurry, but no bag nitrogen across that time.

That's what seemed to work for one organic chap I was down with afew weeks back, going to give the likes of 15ac a month a go here next year.

No roundup ? and what about the weeds like chickweed and docks. how to deal with them. Tried chicory here many years ago but it did not last, I think it only works on very dry ground.

I get about 10% of the cows lame this time of the year. Is this normal with the rest of you. I think it's from their hooves softening due to the low DM grass. Maybe I should have started buffering sooner. I must put down more concrete outside the parlour yard too as it's a hole of sh1t this time of year. Scanned the cows during the week. Very good results. About 5% empty and they are all culls (bar 1) that I was trying to keep the bull away from anyway. Will take out alot of lower performers this year but I find it hard to get the value of them sometimes. Looking forward to drying them of in December.

Ya mine got very bad and started feeding abit of hay seems to help

No roundup. You'd defo want to get rid of as many docks or chickweed beforehand, because any spray for them afterwards will hit the mss also. How persistent all these will be is still the million dollar question, but a low cost establishment like this is a game changer, My previous problem with mss was it needed to be a full reseed, and its an expensive seed at full rate, with no real proven results yet, so I definitely couldn't stomach that risk. Obviously your going to lose growth while there is no bag N out during the time it takes for the MSS to establish properly, but given the price of N next year its the perfect time to try this, and if you have to go again every 2 or 3 yrs with another run of the disc Harrow it's not end of the world.

• Advertisement

Before you can fix or prevent the problem you must first find out what the problem is. Is it ulcers, whiteline disease or mortellaro. You need to put them in the crush and pull the leg up, if you dont have a leg lifter just tie their leg onto the crush bar. Have you done hoof paring before? If you are not confident get the hoof man in. These days there is no need to loose cows to lameness. There are some very good videos on hoof paring on youtube, well worth a look.

Advertisement