Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

On the other hand it might be different situation. Diana might not have worn ring, when she died because she was no longer married, while the watch could have taken part in this tragic event...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Tbh I can't stand this thread. I think it's tacky and the royals aren't really my thing...but why do posters refer to Kate who she is largely known as.. as Katherine (it's like a hyacinth bucket thing) and Megan as 'Markle'...

Tbh it comes across as...and..im not sure of the word for it but some form of bias which to be honest is distasteful and downright stupid and obvious from posters who are trying to play into that eh propaganda...but ye...

It's Kate. Ands it's Meghan.

It's whatever any of us choose to use.

You are not the decider of names.

Hang on a second...I never said I was a decider of anything...it's merely an observation I've seen within the thread and online...

Kate being referred to as 'Katherine'... the almighty and Meghan being referred to as 'Markle' in conversation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how they are being unfairly compared to one another.

Anyway can't be arsed fueling it. Call them whatever ye want...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently she does prefer to be called Catherine, not Kate. Most people on this thread say Meghan though?

I think we can all agree that it's Kate and Meghan though.

Then why at the bottom if your post write "It's Kate. And its Megan".

Why do you get to decide that it is?

Why? It's for them to decide, how they prefer to be called. Though I wouldn't call Meghan Dutchess...

To be fair I think those are the generally accepted names in widespread use. Nobody is dictating it but I think using the name "Catherine" is like a proud grandmother projecting angel status on their favourite grandchild. It's a little bit distasteful and forced.

• Advertisement

Allegedly in US it is more respectful to call people by their last name, hence I think some people in America might call her Markle...

But I am not sure about it.

So they should be called Kate and Meg then. Why Meghan should be called with her full name, while Kate with her shorten form of name?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The thing is though that it was the tabloids that called Catherine Kate, it's not the name people who know/knew her use for her. Ditto 'Wills'. Meghan's actual name is Rachel Meghan, but people use the name she prefers and uses - Meghan. Harry is actually Henry but goes by Harry.

Another example would be Madeline McCann, James Bulger - they were never called Maddy and Jamie in real life by their families - (in fact James's mother hated the nickname) those are nicknames made up by the tabloids. Whatever about a celebrity, nicknames in those situations are really disrespectful. Tabloids are fcukers for giving nicknames that end up sticking.

Well I'm happy enough to call them both Catherine and Meghan. Now sometimes I might use the name Kate instead. But we won't fall out over what are the best names to call two women we are unlikely to meet 😂

Or "Madam Duchess" as she was called by a paparazzi in New York (mega-cringe for all parties involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Madam Duchess Meghan is what I call her.

Post edited by Kaybaykwah on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It is not. The only people who call each other by their last names are high school jocks. If you were meeting her for the first time, you may say "Ms. Markle" as a sign of respect (same as you would a teacher), but it doesn't feel like a whole lot of people on this thread would be into that. I've only ever heard Americans refer to her as Meghan Markle and then Meghan once it was established which Meghan they were talking about. Source: I've been American for 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

The first draft of the Bench!😀

That's not what I read. I read that 'Catherine' who was normally called Kate started asking people to call her that just before William proposed because she thought it sounded better for her new would-be role.

Ill transfer that into What-if-meghan-did-it-speak for you...she got notions about herself and started asking people to call her it quite pompously but we aren't talking about Meghan here, we are talking about Catherine so it's sofisticated, elegant and appropriate.

I haven't heard of her being called meg tbh. I think she normally goes as Meghan afaik. I've heard 'megain' and 'markle' alot in this thread.

• Advertisement

Never heard of that but I would assume most posters in the thread are not in the US and that is not the reason the are referring to her as 'Markle' so to even mention the above sounds like a very reaching justification.

Kate/Catherine is the future Queen and the mother of a future King.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Sorry, but so what? What does any royal title mean? Either being born into a massively privileged family or marrying into it, a family that is totally removed from reality and trying to cling on to whatever "esteem" they think they can get out of being "Royal". The only respect I would pay any of them is the queen, and only because she's ancient, no other reason.

They're all cuckoo, sniping at each other through the medium of tabloid rags, like a posher- sounding version of Hollyoaks. Ditto Catherine is a posher- sounding version of Kate from the council estate. Duchess Meghan "I don't care about titles" Markle is the American side of the same coin. Completely cracked, the whole lot of them. I can't believe anyone would take any of them seriously.

EDIT: Call them whatever you want, they're public property by their own choosing.

I think Kate wanted to be called Catherine to be on an equal foot with William, who was never called Bill. Way before Meghan appeared on the scene, so it is not connected with the latter.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sounds like she decided to be a bit more formal when she officially began working as a royal. Lots of people do that (her grandmother-in-law included 😉). I know a Kitty who, when she became a doctor thought it sounded better to be called Dr. Kathy or Dr. Smith when she qualified as it sounded more competent. And it does!

Even if people called her Kate in her inner circle of friends & family, there are many people who use their full name for their job -myself included. I've a family nickname derived from my name that I don't mind if my friends occasionally call me but I'd be weirded out if my boss shortened my name without checking with me first.

I work with a lot of people who come from abroad so I learn how to pronounce their name properly and I just think it's disrespectful to just use a nickname or shorten it unless they ask me to. Your friends and family may call you Libby for example, but in the course of your work, you'd probably introduce yourself as Olivia -and I'd use that name for you until you specifically said to me to call you Libby - and you'd only probably do that if we got to know each other well and we liked each other.

So if Catherine wants to be known as her given name for her work, and as Kate by her friends and family then fair enough, I don't think it's necessarily princessy - or if it is, well, I'm surrounded by dozens of people who also use their full name for work and a shortened nickname among friends and family so we must all be princesses too 😁

No that's not what I read...I read that she asked her family and friends not to call her Kate anymore.

Anyway I don't really care why she did it...I was questioning posters reasons for doing it...and I still think it sounded like a Hyacinth Bucket thing from posters but I'm not really interested in spending hours talking about the royals and their names who I have no interest in. I am interested in social media communication and how things are portrayed and compared in debating/discussions and it was just something I noticed when I had I a look at the thread but just an observation..that hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Time to update the logical fallacy list.

The only title that is important to me is Mom. As ever, Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex.

I don't want my privacy invaded by any Court proceedings so I'll sue a media company who won't want to bring me to Court.

I couldn't get a number for a therapist when I was struggling mentally but I had the wherewithal to track down the personal mobile numbers of three US Senators

• Registered Users Posts: 17,052 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I always assumed Kate was 'encouraged' to use Catherine by Palace official prior to her engagement being announced. Stuffy protocol and public perception of an abbreviated name might have had some reaching for the smelling salts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, my thoughts exactly. The Kate appellation is not for the faint of heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

This just shows the level of delusion Harry has.

The day before the coup he thinks emailing Jack Dorsey would make Jack Dorsey do something to change events?!

And again sticking his nose in American politics when still part of the Royal family is out of line.

If the both want to get in to American politics they have to officially rescind their titles and sever all ties to the Royal family.

Advertisement