Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Lowe on Farrell´s praise...

Who said that?” says Lowe of the coach’s weight remark. “Andy said it? He said it twice? I’ll have to have a word with him. No, I have lost weight, a little bit and I guess I am a little fitter, I guess. But bloody billow on him saying it behind my back. At least he could have told me to my face…

“Yeah, I guess I did have a conscious effort. I thought ‘how could I evolve my game, how could I evolve it more?’ It was probably through being fitter. Threw off a few keys (kilos), been spinning around the field a bit easier. Boll**ks on him, Jesus…”

🤣🤣🤣

He also makes the point heś best friends with some of the Kiwis. you;d have to imagine he´d have huge motivation to prove things. hopefully not in a CJ stander sort of way.

Do you probably give him and Earls the starts. I know Conway got the hatrick but still, Earls still has alot to give.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've been saying it for ages, we need to get Tommy Tiernan on at 9. His delivery is brilliant. And he knows when to slow it down and ask the right questions of his opposite number.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah there’s been a good bit of talk out of camp in the last week about how Lowe had totally changed his approach to his prep and everything. He said himself he was told that elements of his game and prep simply weren’t good enough and he’s had to work hard on addressing those. Obviously the coaches feel he’s done enough on that front to warrant another look. They dropped him when he wasn’t good enough and they’ve selected him again now. So let’s see if there have been improvements there before making assumptions on it, because there must have been changes to go from being dropped to being selected again.

🤷‍♂️

Yeah cause lads never get selected because of character or personality. how in the name of **** is that a criticism.

Jesus some of you lads on here need a perspective check.

Wasn that the exact reason some gave for both Zebo and Cooney´s exclusions? that the latter didn´t fit it and the former was too much for the craic.

It has a huge part to play.

but sure latch on to the word banter. lack the imagination. banter, character, voice, aura whatever. POM has it. Hence why the Lions selected him as skipper. but he couldn abck it up as heś not as good a player as that side of it. Zebo mainly has a bit of banter with some skill but at the top level its not enough.

again people think Sexton is a dour bastard. he´s not off the sports field he can have a laugh but people excuse his hyper focus because he backs it up and isn´t a dour bastard off the field.

POM is the perfect squad player.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you think "banter" and "character" are the same thing when it comes to rugby players then you havent got a clue

• Advertisement

sure Syd, sure.

You seem to be latching and focusing onto to the word banter. have a read into the infamous Munster slagging which defines the word ´banter¨. POM is old school Munster and has a great rapport with people. I know because i know people who know him.

i´ve no idea what has got you so fixated on the word.

Again iḿ defending him here so i have no idea what is happening. He has great character which is why he got chosen as Lions captain.

im not latching onto anything

you posted it.. .(twice now) .... are you going to own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You think POM was selected as a Lions test captain because of his character and voice?

eh yeah i am. banter doesn have the meaning you think it does. Unless you are equating banter with some other sort of thing?

I meant banter as in heś able to take it and give it, he is ar elatively good laugh despite media appearances (as was Roy Keane). thats all i meant. sorry if it somehow offended your sensibilities. I didn´t mean that other type of banter.

theres a Peter Smyth story about Sexton in MArys that shows what i mean. but eventually people realised Sexton was only like that when he entered any sort of rugby facility.

Iḿ a club mate of Sexton and am well aware of how perceptions happen. SO i get why you think i was slagging POM as i can be harsh on his play. But as a person he seems a top notch human being.

oh.. you mean the banter = being a "good laugh"

as opposed to the other kind of 'banter' which is ????

• Advertisement

seeming its cos hes a good laugh

always requirement number 1 for lions captains

eh...yeah? it was a huge part of it as well as lineout ability. and then when his play could not match it he was dropped altogether. you do realise thats a massive part of rugby right? again its been posited on here thats why Cooney was bombed out. i know it was an issue with Cronin say. Zebo as well.

Hes a very good rugby player on his day. But what makes him stand out is his other stuff. But i still wouldn have him starting.

bravo Syd. whatever, you clearly lack the imagination to envision the part this plays in a squad. Its weird cause i am fairly certain i´ve seen you say that selection is far more than form and is full of other intangibles?

Jesus Christ. POM is of great character and leadership then. which is a huge part of where and who he is. IS that better? Despite the big angry head on him, heś a very decent chap that his team mates and coaches find very relatable and easy to get along with.

Christ this forum sometimes. i had completely blanked out why i stopped posting. now i remember.

unlike you ive never claimed players are selected cos of their bantz form 🤣

i have no idea how to reply to this? i presumed cause you were so hung up on the word banter out of 6 or 7 that i used that you are equating the word banter with boys will be boys banter. but no its the way i meant it. Heś a good laugh. Shoot me now what a terrible thing to say about a man. ffs

anyhoo. POM on balance deserves to be in the 22...as alot of what he brings is in the intangibles of squad based sport. being a decent person normally equates with being well respected. and an out and out dour bastard rarely gets that. People will tell you Roy Keane is actually very funny. Ditto Sexton is a madman on a pitch but off it heś quite funny and in Mary´s at least was a bit of a jokester.

But the prime reason he´s there isn just that. He´s very good in the lineout, he can bring aggression when he wants.

as you often say its more than just what goes on between the lines. theres loads to it and im more than guilty of forgetting that at times. i have no idea why you are focusing on it as its all well known that its part and parcel of sport.

Lowe is a prime example of it. People in Leinster absolutely love his personality. Its a massive part of who he is. Its referenced all the time.

Unreal gaslighting here to make it out that iḿ talking some sort of crazy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A good win at the weekend, some very good skills on display, we keep that mentality for the NZ game and we will be tough opposition for them. An important win considering we only barely beat them back in July

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm not exactly sure I should ask but... what exactly so you mean by "hopefully not in a CJ stander sort of way."?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think he was referring to CJ Stander nearly taking Pat Lambie's head off in his first game against his county of birth

and hoping James Lowe doesn't do something similar on Saturday

Edit: And holy sh*t Bundee Aki did it v Samoa aswell. So James Lowe is guaranteed to get sent off this weekend

Might stick a tenner on it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Am I the only person who has gone from thinking we had a very low chance of beating NZ to now thinking it's practically a 50/50 game?

Damn expectations and hope. I prefer it when I have neither!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Controversial opinion, one of the best things for Catt/Farrells game plan was CJ retiring.

Absolutely ZERO to do with him being a project player or being from Munster. He gave his all and had a high workrate but was so limited. This always got found out against the better teams who knew you stopped Stander ball was never going to get past him, Sarries/England neutralised him so often. We wouldn't have scored that try against England, Lowes 1st try or Akis try is CJ had been in the same position.

I always much preferred a player who could do both a Billy V who created alot of tries by subtle offloads, a Picamoles. That is why I much prefer a ball playing backrow like Conan who can run over you just as quick as draw and pass to create a try for another player. Doris also is a much better ball player.

My abiding memory of CJ was him getting the ball I think against Scotland in our 22 with loads of space and a 3 on 1. The panic on his face as he had no idea what to do rather than draw and pass threw a wild miss pass to no one!!! That is why I think Coombes puts more fear into me than CJ as he can do both.

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This coming weekend is going to be a bellwether for Farrell's Ireland IMO. We'll see what progress is being made, what we're building.

We were excellent at the weekend, but Japan were rubbish and that is important to take into account. I know we need to celebrate the good stuff while we can but that was a glorified exhibition match in parts. We can't get too far ahead of ourselves.

I'd pick the same 23, but this is going to be night and day in terms of difficulty. I think we'll lose a close game.

I agree Japan were poor, and their lineout sort of epitomised that a bit, even when we didn't compete we still won their lineout.

At the same time Japan got within 11 points of Australia two weeks ago, I haven't compared the teams, but the point I'm making is were Japan so poor because they were shaken by the way we played, expecially in that first 30 minutes, or were they just generally s***?

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They were all over the place IMO. We were able to generate overlaps at will.

I don't remember them even threatening to score, outside of the try they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm not getting carried away with the result of the match. But it is worth noting that we've played against crap teams before under Farrell, but we've never played like that.

What has me excited is that over the last 12 months, we've been seeing that kind of rugby with gradually increasing regularity and consistency. We saw a bit v Scotland in the ANC. We saw a bit more v Italy. The England game was a big stepping stone. And in the Japan game we just took it to an all new level.

So it's clearly something that's been worked on and we've been gradually improving and becoming more comfortable with.

The result v NZ is secondary for me. I want to see us play exactly the same way we did v Japan and not revert to type.

With the skillset and mobility of our forward pack, if we can perfect that style and play it against every team, we're going to be a seriously tough team to play against.

Yeah, all true but the main thing is the rugby we played. We've played s*** teams before and not played that style of rugby. No matter the opposition, our game seems to have evolved.

I think we can hurt NZ playing that way.

The question is how much they hurt us

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think there's any need to stick the boot into a guy who is retired and gone but I think it's fair to say he wouldn't be the most suited to the current approach, if it is to continue. And there's also always a fair bit to be said for a guy who will make double figures carries and tackles every game. He should have played 6 more for Ireland.

Obviously I am delighted with the way we played but it's very hard to tell where we are or what it would have looked like against a better (on the day) side. I still think they are heavy, heavy favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I think everyone's hope has increased after the weekend. Personally I think at the moment Ireland will lose but we will give a good account of ourselves, maybe it is the pessimistic side of me but that's what I think. I do hope that out of the game we get some real learning's in terms of the team and how to move forward.

• Advertisement

Coombes ruled out through illness. Wouldn't really have expected him to make the 23 but hope we see him against Argentina.

Advertisement